Salma Hayek In Alexander McQueen – “Americano” Toronto Film Festival Premiere

Leighton Meester wasn’t the only one wearing Alexander McQueen Resort 2012 to the 2011 Toronto Film Festival yesterday.

Salma Hayek donned Look 1 for her “Americano” Premiere.

You often have a very strong negative reaction to Salma in McQueen, so I would be very interested to hear your thoughts (as always) on this look.

Her military inspired tan dress is accented with a large leather belt and a stunning gold embroidered bodice.

I may have been able to get on board with this look had she opted for a simple tight ponytail.

A half up, half down hairstyle and McQueen doesn’t gel too well for me.

The actress added gold pumps and a gold McQueen clutch to complete her look.

Does Salma get a yay or nay from you?

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Demi Lovato In Maria Lucia Hohan - 2011 ALMA Awards

Demi Lovato In Maria Lucia Hohan – 2011 ALMA Awards

Lela Rose Spring 2012

Lela Rose Spring 2012

50 Responses to Salma Hayek In Alexander McQueen – “Americano” Toronto Film Festival Premiere

1. Thomas September 11, 2011 at 20:27 #

nay the pumps are not right and the hair is HORRIBLE, salma please go home and change and come back kthanksbye

2. Terry September 11, 2011 at 20:27 #

Honestly the whole outfit sucks. The dress doesn’t suit her body shape and there’s something wrong with its fit (see the skirt). The nail on the coffin is that hideous puffy hairdo. I’m not a fan of Salma on the red carpet, but this is surely one of her worst style choices.

3. Verena September 11, 2011 at 20:29 #

The dress looks completely different on her so I’m trying to seperate it from the original in my head and it’s not too bad. The skirt is a bit too tight and I think the belt is too wide and overwhelms her tiny frame. And I agree about the hair. Ugh. But all in all it’s not a disaster.

4. Rose September 11, 2011 at 20:30 #

nay from me.

5. Paddy M September 11, 2011 at 20:35 #

Yay from me! It’s very dramatic. I like the design enough to like it on Salma, even if she doesn’t always suit this kind of style.

6. Jacqu September 11, 2011 at 20:37 #

Hate the half pony, hate the belt (I wish she went with the darker one presented), love her figure over all. The hem looks a bit odd.

7. Dorian Gray September 11, 2011 at 20:38 #

Yay for this time.

8. artemis September 11, 2011 at 20:38 #

I’m not crazy about that look but it’s ok! I totally agree with you FC about the hairstyle! I feel that Salma always takes away the quality and life of the McQueen designs…

9. Beatrice September 11, 2011 at 20:40 #

nay – i think its the hair, its throwing me off.

10. olivia September 11, 2011 at 20:42 #

Don’t know why she still insists on wearing McQueen when she never gets it right. The hair is simply horrible, don’t like the make-up and the shoes either

• laura D September 12, 2011 at 04:40 #

I just don’t think McQueen suits her proportions. As someone mentioned above – that belt just overwhelms her

11. Emma September 11, 2011 at 20:48 #

the hair ruins it for me

12. Emi September 11, 2011 at 20:50 #

For me it’s without praise or blame. Simply, even if her husband is the owner of the brand, she can’t pull off McQueen’s (and Balenciaga) clothes.

13. Zineb September 11, 2011 at 20:56 #

She shoud’ve worn a smaller belt , but she still gets a yay from me

14. shubby doo September 11, 2011 at 21:00 #

Don’t like it. Saw it and thought boobage much! It’s a size too small on top!!! And the skirt too. Not a fan of the hair too *sighs*

15. Noel September 11, 2011 at 21:01 #

Hair is horrible. Shoes are too chunky (would’ve been better with something a bit more strappy). And I think she just looks uncomfortable, and that disparages the whole outfit.

16. Kate September 11, 2011 at 21:09 #

Yay-ish. Her hair reminds me of Beyonce’s in the Single Ladies video!

17. From Russia With Love September 11, 2011 at 21:15 #

like I read at fashionspot – Salma shouldn’t have married PPR family cause she doesn’t match with any of their brands’ aesthetics. She should go back to Versace and be gorgeous.

• mm September 11, 2011 at 23:19 #

True, i agree with your comments! LOL. Nay for me

• marina September 12, 2011 at 00:33 #

Her Gucci gowns are usually amazing, and suit her perfectly.

18. marina September 11, 2011 at 21:18 #

She’s so tiny that maybe she feels like she should wear her hair like this. Many times she has appeared with hairstyles like this.
    I think it could have looked much metter is it had been slightly modified around the waits, an if the belt had more dark brown at the front to emphasize the waist better.

19. noo September 11, 2011 at 21:25 #

definitely Nay! the hair and make up are just weird with the dress, this is a hairstyle usually described as “edgy” but i feel like it’s dated and not at all what gives a mcqueen look edge! i also hate the bust and the hem!

20. glenn September 11, 2011 at 21:26 #

i love salma, but this is not working for her :$

21. LeeZett September 11, 2011 at 21:32 #

The whole ensemble looks off. No matter whether its McQueen or not, Salma looks like she decided to dress up as a hispanic Sasha Fierce for an early Halloween party.

• Stylista September 11, 2011 at 21:49 #

Hispanic Sasha Fierce? WTH does that mean?

• Fashion Critic September 11, 2011 at 21:50 #

I think it was meant to be a joke…I got it because of the hair

• Stylista September 11, 2011 at 21:50 #

OK going back to look at the pic, I get it. The hair, the bodice, the sleeves. Sasha Fierce would have worn pants or a long skirt though. Not this secretaary pencil bottom. But I see it now.

22. Molly September 11, 2011 at 21:32 #

Nay! Designers tend to cut for a certain body type/shape, and Salma is not the figure for which McQueen is designing. It never looks right. Don’t like this AT ALL, and Salma herself is so amazing that she should never be in this boat.

• Kathryn September 12, 2011 at 02:14 #

I completely agree she should stick with Gucci, McQueen and Balenciaga never look right on her.

23. Lee Ann September 11, 2011 at 21:35 #

Nay-the hair,the fit,the make up -everything!

24. Stylista September 11, 2011 at 21:48 #

She has a weird body, so nothing looks good on her to me IMHO.

• Carolina September 11, 2011 at 22:17 #

she just does not take in consideration her body type when she dresses her self. she always chooses pieces that make her look terrible

25. Maria September 11, 2011 at 21:56 #

nay from me

26. Gabby September 11, 2011 at 22:11 #

On this occasion, NAY!! I’m usually a fan of Salma’s choices but this is just all kinds of wrong on her and its sad because the dress is gorgeous!

First of all, she’s way too busty for this look, second of all she’s far too short to pull the hemline off and lastly, her hair & make-up is terrible!

Oh and who on earth told her to be SO matchy matchy, it somehow works on the model but not on Salma! Total utter disappointment, stop wearing McQueen Salma, please!

27. justme September 11, 2011 at 22:12 #

Hell nay! She rarely dresses for her shape and I really dislike the hair.

28. Jess September 11, 2011 at 22:36 #

Hmmm its not awful, but not great either. I like the colour on her, I just feel for a woman with such an ample bust, there is too much going on up top. Remove the belt and this may have been quite nice.

29. Ev September 11, 2011 at 23:27 #

How come she can be completely oblivious of her body shape and how to dress it when she is probably surrounded by stylists and people knowing a lot about fashion and dressing yourself?
    She should stick to Gucci Premiere and other designers who produce more elegant and classic clothes and stay away from the edgier designs, because they usually look bad on women with curves.

30. Mario September 12, 2011 at 00:15 #

She makes this outfit look extremely tacky.

31. Kaylie September 12, 2011 at 00:15 #

Nay! I’m not sure if it’s the fit, the shape of the dress, the hair, or what… but she somehow managed to make a great dress look tacky.

32. TeaAtTwo September 12, 2011 at 02:49 #

She manages to be worse than Duchess Catherine when it comes to wearing Mcqueen.

33. Karen September 12, 2011 at 04:29 #

Salma has ruined yet another dress. She always looks like she’s trying too hard. I can’t believe these two dresses are the same for it looks great on the model but looks so tacky and cheap on Salma.

34. Rebecca Z September 12, 2011 at 04:51 #

Not the best…it is puzzling how she can look so fabulous one day, and make a choice like this the next (for example the gorgeous grey gown from last week. Maybe it looks better in person and from a different angle.

35. Erini September 12, 2011 at 05:40 #

nay for sure, nothing works for me!

36. Lucía September 12, 2011 at 08:03 #

This just looks tacky to me…

37. Aditi September 12, 2011 at 09:09 #

nay. the uneven hem is bothering.

38. ayishaa September 12, 2011 at 10:16 #

This outfit is just plain awful. The hair ……..no comment

39. Alina September 12, 2011 at 10:43 #

Nay.

40. Parvati September 12, 2011 at 14:57 #

I totally agree with you, FC, the hair ruins the look. I think the dress doesn’t look that good on her, either, but it’s the hair that’s worse.

41. Giuseppi Giraffe September 12, 2011 at 17:32 #

She gets a yay from me, although I agree about the hair. As it is, for some reason it’s making me think Snookie, which ruins the whole effect. Otherwise, I think she’s wearing the dress better than the runway model

42. Jen September 13, 2011 at 04:33 #

I don’t like the hair either. It’s bafflingly bad. The proportions of the dress are all off, which is unsurprising given her that she’s a totally different shape from the model. It’s too tight in the bust, and the trumpet shape of the skirt has been cut off to make it shorter for her. I don’t think this look was a success.