Selma Blair In Lanvin – “Dark Horse” Venice Film Festival Premiere

Tonight Selma Blair attended the Venice Film Festival Premiere of her latest movie, “Dark Horse.”

She wore a red Lanvin crepe gown from the Fall 2011 collection with Bvlgari jewels.

The pictures from this event aren’t particularly flattering from any angle which is huge shame because this look had a lot of potential.

I picked a picture with movement so you could see the shape of the gown.

What I really dislike about this look are those darn heavy satin pumps. They have no place being near this fluid gown.

But the final nail hits the coffin when you see the back.

Like I said the pictures aren’t flattering, which is a total shame because she perfected her hair and makeup.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Shengyi Huang In Salvatore Ferragamo - "Contagion" Venice Film Festival Premiere

Shengyi Huang In Salvatore Ferragamo – “Contagion” Venice Film Festival Premiere

Valeria Golino In Gucci - 2011 Gucci Award For Women In Cinema

Valeria Golino In Gucci – 2011 Gucci Award For Women In Cinema

14 Responses to Selma Blair In Lanvin – “Dark Horse” Venice Film Festival Premiere

1. Rebecca Z September 5, 2011 at 22:41 #

Unrealized potential–is this dress several sizes too big fgor her? Did she buy it when she was pregnant and forget to wear it?

• Zineb September 5, 2011 at 22:58 #

Haha, yea or maybe she just took the ” go big or go home” thing a little bit too literally & she went like really big, hahaha

2. Francesca September 5, 2011 at 22:44 #

I’m not really fond of wearing red on the red carpet, makes you fade into the background.

• Alina September 6, 2011 at 06:31 #

I agree.

3. Zineb September 5, 2011 at 22:49 #

She looks like she’s wearing a huge red bag !
    what a shame , too many beautiful other gowns & she chooses this one … so not flattering I agree cause she really looks great for a woman who recently just gave birth

4. Jen September 5, 2011 at 22:52 #

I feel like this probably looks great in motion, walking down the carpet. Unfortunately, Selma is no SJP when it comes to working a flowy, dramatic gown for pictures.

5. Parvati September 6, 2011 at 00:41 #

I ‘m not crazy about the dress, but I don’t dislike it, either… but those shoes… seriously, you have a bright dress and suddenly, there is a pop of black out of nowhere! Bad choice…

6. PamG September 6, 2011 at 02:12 #

I’m sure it’s a gorgeous dress in-person, but its beauty definitely got lost on the red carpet. Not everyone has the skill of translating what they see and touch into something that photographs well. The black cinder blocks don’t help!

7. Molly September 6, 2011 at 04:00 #

I love the look from the front – the lines are interesting and it does look like it would be beautiful in motion. I was initially going to write about how incredible Selma looked in this and the earlier green. But what on earth is up with the back of the gown? It made me reconsider all my good feelings about the front. This looks like something created for a photo shoot where only the front is being shown, so it is OK to hold it together with giant clips and duct tape in the back.

8. Raquel September 6, 2011 at 04:11 #

I don’t like the dress on the runaway and I don’t like it on Selma either, though it works better in black. The shoes are SHAME.

9. Emi September 6, 2011 at 08:22 #

It seems the dress is at least one size bigger. The black shoes are nonsense, too heavy. I like hair and make up, anyway. The dress, seen from the back, is shapeless.

10. msd September 6, 2011 at 10:45 #

Count me in as another who thinks she was given a dress that was a size too big for her.

11. Leti September 6, 2011 at 11:19 #

For me, she gets a pass. I’m reluctant to be hypercritical of any new mom who has to hit the red carpet within weeks of delivery. I think this dress has great movement, and it’s obvious she was simply trying to hide her midsection. I think her problem was that the top layer simply wasn’t scaled down for someone as petite as she is. You can see it’s much longer on her versus the runway model. The shoes might be a miss, but I love that she brought her newborn on the red carpet (he followed with a nanny).

12. oksana September 6, 2011 at 12:18 #

i really like the dress, it looks good on her, its a size bigger or smt like that ,not problem. she look very beautiful, hair is good. but shoes are awful. how can she make a mistake that huge!!!