[glam_ad size="push"]
[glam_ad size="med"]
Menu

Keira Knightley did opt for one of her favourite designers when she took to the red carpet for the Venice Film Festival Premiere for “A Dangerous Method” tonight.

She glided down the red carpet wearing a Valentino Fall 2011 Couture long sleeve gown.

The gold embroidered tulle gown is heavenly, but I feel like something is missing.

Earrings or a clutch perhaps?

I can’t put my finger on it, or maybe I’m not just fully appreciating the ethereal, natural, organic beauty of this look.

A simple updo and a pink lips colour completed her look.

Which look did you prefer?

This Valentino gown or the Mary Katrantzou dress?

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Sidewalk Style: Salma Hayek In Balenciaga

Sidewalk Style: Salma Hayek In Balenciaga

Emma Stone In Roland Mouret - 2011 Deauville Film Festival Opening Ceremony

Emma Stone In Roland Mouret – 2011 Deauville Film Festival Opening Ceremony

63 Responses to Keira Knightley In Valentino Couture – “A Dangerous Method” Venice Film Festival Premiere

1. Lucía September 3, 2011 at 17:18 #

She looks unbelievably pretty but I’m so tired of seing her in similar dresses even if they’re as spectacular as this one. I’m no longer excited to see what she’s wearing.

2. Mia September 3, 2011 at 15:04 #

she looks good. she just needs to learn some new facial expressions for the red carpet. shes scaring me.

3. Anne G September 3, 2011 at 14:24 #

I have one word to say — BORING! She looks like she is wearing an old tablecloth!

4. SJ September 3, 2011 at 12:53 #

She looks like she’s promoting “Pride and Prejudice”, Again.
    Beautiful dress, I think it needed to be brought in our Century
    (Fashion Critic U’re doing a great job, as always!!)

• Fashion Critic September 3, 2011 at 14:39 #

Many thanks SJ x

5. Vidhya September 3, 2011 at 12:50 #

She has to stop over working her pout.. she has very good natural lip definition, why then? The dress is so classic but not very modern..

6. Erini September 3, 2011 at 08:34 #

something is missing for me here, she is exquisitely beautiful but I preferred her in M. Katranzou which was so unpredictable and edgy!

7. JT September 3, 2011 at 07:03 #

I don’t like how they’ve placed the waist of the dress on Keira much higher than on the model. The waist looks to be placed below the model’s belly button whereas on Keira it’s been placed above. The dress looses a lot of its high fashion and looks more like a Victorian period gown. That along with her “hat hair” is what is really killing the look.

8. rebecca o September 3, 2011 at 06:00 #

I really like this. It’s girly and quaint without being frumpy (coughmichellewilliamscough)

9. olga September 3, 2011 at 05:18 #

WOW! This is so beautiful! I love it!

10. cheryl September 3, 2011 at 03:53 #

earrings would have been good, but this look is still stunning nonetheless. wish she will stop that pouty face -.-

11. Parvati September 3, 2011 at 01:03 #

The dress is beautiful, but I agree that there’s something missing. I think a pair of earrings and a better hairdo (her hair looks really untidy, in my opinion) would make this look perfect.

12. dunzoo September 2, 2011 at 23:19 #

Love it ! so simple & elegant.. IMO she doesn’t need any accessories.. like her “jane eyresque” rustic hairstyle which contrasts whith the golden details of the gown

13. Amber September 2, 2011 at 22:17 #

I think it’s how horrid her hair looks, plus the fact that the sleeve design makes her look like she has some weird skin disease on her arms. Had it been sleeveless, and she had done something nice with her hair, she would have looked really nice.

14. oksana September 2, 2011 at 22:12 #

prefer mary

15. Jess September 2, 2011 at 21:44 #

beautiful dress, not keen on the hair though. I love both the dresses, but feel the Mary K dress was styled better.

16. Ylenia Castellano September 2, 2011 at 21:29 #

Double time stunning. I can´t choose one over the other. I would want to wear both provided I looked as good in them!

Im also in shock that Im liking Keira Knightley. Its not like she hasn´t been dressed beautifuly before, but shes always had that Anne Hathaway ‘boooring/next!’ effect on me… Until now. Suddenly she seems beaming with personality and looks quite simply perfect!

17. Rashmi September 2, 2011 at 21:25 #

Curls would have helped… The trouble I have with this look is the area the skirt starts… On the model it is almost the drop waist and that looks better…

18. MG September 2, 2011 at 21:12 #

she need some volume in the hair. also earrings would be great

19. mol September 2, 2011 at 21:04 #

I’m on the ‘raw’, ‘organic’ ‘natural’ side of things here. I truly love this look and her hair too, I love the overall plainess that shimmers in a beautifully quiet and elegant way….but I also loved her MK dress, both were perfect for Keira’s looks. I guess I’ll have to leave my vote for one or the other up to you F.C.!

20. Andrew Mackinnon September 2, 2011 at 21:01 #

THIS. IS. AMAZING. Just the fact that this dress was actually HANDMADE gives me goosebumps! It’s so detailed and intricate.

21. The.Shoe.Freak September 2, 2011 at 20:47 #

Perfection.

22. Jazz September 2, 2011 at 20:34 #

she looks INCREDIBLE! perhaps she could have added earrings, but with or without them, i absolutely ADORE this look. very ethereal and elegant

23. Megan September 2, 2011 at 20:28 #

The dress is absolutely gorgeous but yes a pair of earrings would have really made this perfect.

24. ohlala September 2, 2011 at 20:26 #

what do you think about a tiny burgundy or eggplant velvet belt?

• Fashion Critic September 2, 2011 at 20:31 #

I don’t think that would’ve worked for me

25. Mick September 2, 2011 at 20:22 #

I prefer the Mary Katrantzou by far. She’s good also in this look, but it feels too plain and severe, whereas the other dress was striking

26. Camille September 2, 2011 at 20:18 #

Earrings!!! She is so close to nailing it, she just needs the perfect earrings to complete this look. I actully love the hair, sort of spanish gothic, with all that gorgeous gold lace…so close, just a gorgeous pair of earrings away from being fashion perfection.

• Rebecca Z September 2, 2011 at 22:05 #

Yes, maybe emerald drops

• Alina September 3, 2011 at 05:52 #

I agree.

27. Rahel September 2, 2011 at 20:13 #

Stunning. The dress was made for her.

28. CreoleLady September 2, 2011 at 20:08 #

She looks like Caroline Ingalls. That’s the mother of Laura Ingalls on the TV show. An attractive woman by the way, Caroline Ingalls had the perfect look for her little house on the prairie. For the red carpet, not so much.

• maria September 3, 2011 at 01:29 #

funny. i thought she looked like a dressed up Jane Eyre. The hair is NOT working.

29. Armaghan September 2, 2011 at 20:08 #

Perfection Head to toe.
    When You are this much Beautiful,Elegant & classy on your own why overdo it with some accessories??!!!

30. dee September 2, 2011 at 19:57 #

Problem not probably.

31. dee September 2, 2011 at 19:57 #

I loved the other look. For this one, she needs little stud earrings and her hair styled differently. Perhaps add some curls to the pieces hanging down or maybe slick all the hair back. The hair is the major probably with this look.

32. The Dame September 2, 2011 at 19:53 #

Boring from the neck down. She looks like he’s in costume for a period movie

33. Liz September 2, 2011 at 19:50 #

I love the dress she wore earlier. Not sure about this one.

34. couturecoco September 2, 2011 at 19:45 #

I don’t think a pair of earrings would hurt here even though her face is lovely. The problem for me is the skirt – it’s so….meh! The top is perfect but then the skirt is such a disappointment – should be a lot fuller or more structured – just something more defined rather than a left with a few indifferent gathers.

35. A September 2, 2011 at 19:43 #

This! <3 Stunning simplicity!

36. Lynne_n_Marina September 2, 2011 at 19:42 #

We think that the hairstyle is too old fashion, circa Virginia Woolf, and could use some curls or other styling. Also, a very light colour, nearly transparent, red slash around the waist; complimented with matching nail and lip gloss, and even shoes.

We love your site.

• Fashion Critic September 2, 2011 at 20:19 #

37. Zineb September 2, 2011 at 19:39 #

I think it’s a good look for her, we all know she’s a huge Valentino fan, I sort of expected that she will be wearing something from the brand. Anyway she looks really beautiful in the close up, perfect hair & make up

38. Verena September 2, 2011 at 19:39 #

The problem with dresses like these is that they look stunning in person but all the detail gets lost in a photograph. A good stylist should take that into account.

39. robbie September 2, 2011 at 19:38 #

she looks like a porcelain doll.

40. Rose September 2, 2011 at 19:33 #

Both dresses are gorgeous but this look is a little bit boring. There is definitely something missing. So I prefer the Mary Katrantzou dress.

41. fromchi-town September 2, 2011 at 19:26 #

I definitely like the Mary Katrantzou dress better than this.

• Emi September 2, 2011 at 20:32 #

I agree, she looks lifeless here, even if looking at the close-up I find her beautiful… maybe it’s the hair or the lack of accessories… but I prefer the other dress.

42. olivia September 2, 2011 at 19:22 #

i love this look! maybe some earrings would have been nice, but i think she was going for a raw naturalness

43. Estranged September 2, 2011 at 19:22 #

Mary Katrantzou was very refreshing and striking. I find the Valentino dress so… plain.

44. Marvel September 2, 2011 at 19:20 #

Gorgeous. I think some earrings would have worked, but gorgeous nonetheless.

45. Amy September 2, 2011 at 19:18 #

I don’t like it. Her Mary Katrantzou dress earlier was magnificent.
    This is too boring, predictable and somewhat frumpy,

46. Megan September 2, 2011 at 19:16 #

While I love both dresses, I dislike both hairstyles she has worn thus far. I agree that this look is missing something and I wonder if a softer, more delicate hairstyle would improve this dress? This one is so severe and sterile…center part, no volume.

• Megan September 2, 2011 at 19:26 #

Ah, after coming back to this look I know why the hair bothers me so much – that’s exactly what my hair looks like after I have been outside wearing a sunhat all day. So matte and dull! I feel like, rustic or not, the hair deserved better.

47. Juliana September 2, 2011 at 19:15 #

I’d love to see big, beautiful, golden earings there. With her hair pulled back and pretty much nothing framing her face, there really is something missing.

48. Andreea September 2, 2011 at 19:14 #

Perfect ! Love her.

49. Hermione Weasley September 2, 2011 at 19:14 #

I love it. It’s so simple, yet stunning. I don’t mind the “plain-ness”, I think they were going for something “rustic”, especially with the hair. I really really like it.

• Ylenia Castellano September 2, 2011 at 21:17 #

+1 on the rustic feeling. She looks amazing.

50. Natalie September 2, 2011 at 19:13 #

I think she looks AMAZING. I think Valentino has been worn to death and super overrated the past few years, but this collection, I grudgingly loved A LOT.