01.09.11

Madonna In L’Wren Scott – “W.E.” Venice Film Festival Photocall

Madonna attended her “W.E.” photocall during the 2011 Venice Film Festival earlier today.

The singer who makes her directorial debut with this project opted for a black and white L’Wren Scott fitted sheath dress with YSL Tribute pumps.

I’m not crazy about the dress as it makes her look like a nun, especially with the crucifix.

I hope Madonna makes a far greater effort for the premiere, because at this point she looks like she’s ready join a convent.

Credit: Getty

Clotilde Courau In Maxime Simoëns - Vanity Fair Oscar Party 2014

Clotilde Courau In Maxime Simoëns – Vanity Fair Oscar Party 2014

Abbie Cornish In Elie Saab - “W.E.” Venice Film Festival Photocall

Abbie Cornish In Elie Saab – “W.E.” Venice Film Festival Photocall

33 Responses to Madonna In L’Wren Scott – “W.E.” Venice Film Festival Photocall

1. Dorian Gray September 1, 2011 at 15:51 #

Italian press is not loving her movie, I hope english critics will be warmer. I gree, bad bad look (I read that the dress is taken from the costumes used for the movie).

2. Alina September 1, 2011 at 15:56 #

Bad.

3. Rebecca Z September 1, 2011 at 15:57 #

She is trying to draw attention away from her 20 something boyfriend

• Rebecca Z September 1, 2011 at 17:15 #

My comment sounds snarkier than I meant it to. I think she is a hugely talented woman. But this self-presentation is just so out of character–she would do fine being who she is

4. Kate September 1, 2011 at 15:57 #

You say Madonna looking like a nun and wearing a crucifix like its a bad thing!! It just makes me think of her like a prayer phase/blonde ambition phase and I fall in love with her all over again! I think she’s obviously going for the ‘take me serious, i’m the director of this film’ look.

• dee September 1, 2011 at 16:22 #

I was kinda thinking that too. Maybe she is trying to give off a take me seriously look. She wants to be recogninzed as a legitimate director.

• mm September 1, 2011 at 17:01 #

I agree. I like the look, the fit is perfect. Hair and make up are gorgeous. Definetly a safe look. I just hate when she tries to have a british accent when she knows she is from Michigan

• mol September 1, 2011 at 16:58 #

I was thinking the same thing – Madonna playing around with religious iconograpy is not an out of character thing, I too like her referencing her past.

• Terry September 1, 2011 at 19:24 #

Me too! It’s a nod to her past and I cannot but appreciate her choice. In any case, give me a black dress with white collar and I’m more than happy (boring, I know).

5. dee September 1, 2011 at 16:01 #

If she lost the crucifix this would look better. The dress is a little on the boring side.

6. AW September 1, 2011 at 16:08 #

I thought we banned YSL Tribute anything’s from the rest of the world?

Why won’t people let these shoes die?!!!!

7. robbie September 1, 2011 at 16:09 #

the dress is nice, i guess it is a bit of a shock not seeing her in a leotard or something sheer. hate the crucifix, dont have a problem with them in general but the big ones always bother me.

8. elena September 1, 2011 at 16:23 #

who is the designer of the dress ?

9. Elaine2 September 1, 2011 at 16:23 #

LOL……………had a good chuckle over this one! It’s a pretty lame outfit, that’s for sure.

• Manja September 1, 2011 at 16:32 #

it is lame,boring,not doing anything good for her.she looks very warnout and older then usual

10. Jones19 September 1, 2011 at 16:33 #

I’m having ‘Like a prayer’ flashbacks. The crucifix is too much.

11. Matt R September 1, 2011 at 16:39 #

Not her best look. It’s not bad though, but I agree she could lose the crucifix and maybe get a more complimentary pair of heels. This kinda gives me a Chanel vibe from their Fall 09 Ready-to-Wear collection.

• maria September 1, 2011 at 17:18 #

i agree. the dress in itself is not the problem, but the jewelry has to go. In honour of her movie she could have styled it more retro with art deco pieces.

12. DivaMom September 1, 2011 at 17:10 #

I love Madge in this look! We’ve seen quite too much of her naughty bits in the 80s & 90s. This is a refreshing change for her. I like the more rounded, fuller face too. She looks healthy!

• Linda September 1, 2011 at 17:40 #

I agree. She looks a lot better than she usually does. Of course, I’m no fan of hers, but here she looks respectable and chic.

13. Emi September 1, 2011 at 17:35 #

I thought exactly the same thing, FC, this look is too conservative, but I love the shoes. I’m looking forward to see what she will wear for the red carpet.

14. V September 1, 2011 at 17:37 #

Love Madonna in this L’Wren Scott dress!

15. Louise September 1, 2011 at 18:19 #

The more I look through the pictures, the more I like this! It feels much less contrived than all the leotards etc, and faithful to her roots – takes me right back to the First Album, Desperately Seeking Susan, Like A Virgin, etc – especially the face shot with the sunglasses for some reason! And her figure looks great in this, without seeming age-inappropriate.

16. laura D September 1, 2011 at 18:45 #

If she wants to be taken seriously, wearing a costume is not the way to do it.

The fit is lovely, and while I enjoy the cheekiness of referencing Like a Prayer, it’s just absurdly convent-ional!

• Gretta September 1, 2011 at 19:25 #

Clever! ;-)

17. Rita September 1, 2011 at 19:58 #

yup my first thought: nun

18. Lee Ann September 1, 2011 at 20:11 #

Didn’t the crucifix belong to the Duchess of Windsor?

• rachael September 1, 2011 at 20:37 #

Yup, the bracelet belonged to Wallis too. I think it’s awesome that she wore her jewellery to the premiere.

19. Georgia September 1, 2011 at 20:22 #

I agree about this look being a nod to her past and the Catholic iconography she likes to mine. I think it’s a smart look, but I don’t like the cascades of fake blonde hair. Makes her look a bit like Bette Davis as Baby Jane.

And this isn’t her directorial debut. She made Filth and Wisdom in 2008.

20. LOLA September 1, 2011 at 20:47 #

I’m happy to see Tribute again. It’s just refreshing. One of the best YSL shoe ever.

21. Dhppy September 2, 2011 at 01:30 #

I like the look… especially with the shoe. The chain is hanging at an awkward length. I love the hair and makeup.

22. Molly September 2, 2011 at 03:40 #

Don’t throw tomatoes, but I love it. Love the classic Madonna religious-iconography throw-back, the fact that it’s appropriate style-wise for both her age and her position at the event, the beautiful fit,the simplicity and classic cut of the look overall, her hair and makeup, and I think the shoes are right-on with the dress.

23. ivy September 2, 2011 at 19:30 #

wtf did she do to her face? she doesn’t even look like herself anymore. :(