Madonna In L’Wren Scott – “W.E.” Venice Film Festival Photocall

Madonna attended her “W.E.” photocall during the 2011 Venice Film Festival earlier today.

The singer who makes her directorial debut with this project opted for a black and white L’Wren Scott fitted sheath dress with YSL Tribute pumps.

I’m not crazy about the dress as it makes her look like a nun, especially with the crucifix.

I hope Madonna makes a far greater effort for the premiere, because at this point she looks like she’s ready join a convent.

Credit: Getty

33 thoughts on “Madonna In L’Wren Scott – “W.E.” Venice Film Festival Photocall

1. Dorian Gray

Italian press is not loving her movie, I hope english critics will be warmer. I gree, bad bad look (I read that the dress is taken from the costumes used for the movie).

1. Rebecca Z

My comment sounds snarkier than I meant it to. I think she is a hugely talented woman. But this self-presentation is just so out of character–she would do fine being who she is

2. Kate

You say Madonna looking like a nun and wearing a crucifix like its a bad thing!! It just makes me think of her like a prayer phase/blonde ambition phase and I fall in love with her all over again! I think she’s obviously going for the ‘take me serious, i’m the director of this film’ look.

1. dee

I was kinda thinking that too. Maybe she is trying to give off a take me seriously look. She wants to be recogninzed as a legitimate director.

1. mm

I agree. I like the look, the fit is perfect. Hair and make up are gorgeous. Definetly a safe look. I just hate when she tries to have a british accent when she knows she is from Michigan

2. mol

I was thinking the same thing – Madonna playing around with religious iconograpy is not an out of character thing, I too like her referencing her past.

1. Terry

Me too! It’s a nod to her past and I cannot but appreciate her choice. In any case, give me a black dress with white collar and I’m more than happy (boring, I know).

3. AW

I thought we banned YSL Tribute anything’s from the rest of the world?

Why won’t people let these shoes die?!!!!

4. robbie

the dress is nice, i guess it is a bit of a shock not seeing her in a leotard or something sheer. hate the crucifix, dont have a problem with them in general but the big ones always bother me.

5. Matt R

Not her best look. It’s not bad though, but I agree she could lose the crucifix and maybe get a more complimentary pair of heels. This kinda gives me a Chanel vibe from their Fall 09 Ready-to-Wear collection.

1. maria

i agree. the dress in itself is not the problem, but the jewelry has to go. In honour of her movie she could have styled it more retro with art deco pieces.

6. DivaMom

I love Madge in this look! We’ve seen quite too much of her naughty bits in the 80s & 90s. This is a refreshing change for her. I like the more rounded, fuller face too. She looks healthy!

1. Linda

I agree. She looks a lot better than she usually does. Of course, I’m no fan of hers, but here she looks respectable and chic.

7. Emi

I thought exactly the same thing, FC, this look is too conservative, but I love the shoes. I’m looking forward to see what she will wear for the red carpet.

8. Louise

The more I look through the pictures, the more I like this! It feels much less contrived than all the leotards etc, and faithful to her roots – takes me right back to the First Album, Desperately Seeking Susan, Like A Virgin, etc – especially the face shot with the sunglasses for some reason! And her figure looks great in this, without seeming age-inappropriate.

9. laura D

If she wants to be taken seriously, wearing a costume is not the way to do it.

The fit is lovely, and while I enjoy the cheekiness of referencing Like a Prayer, it’s just absurdly convent-ional!

10. Georgia

I agree about this look being a nod to her past and the Catholic iconography she likes to mine. I think it’s a smart look, but I don’t like the cascades of fake blonde hair. Makes her look a bit like Bette Davis as Baby Jane.

And this isn’t her directorial debut. She made Filth and Wisdom in 2008.

11. Dhppy

I like the look… especially with the shoe. The chain is hanging at an awkward length. I love the hair and makeup.

12. Molly

Don’t throw tomatoes, but I love it. Love the classic Madonna religious-iconography throw-back, the fact that it’s appropriate style-wise for both her age and her position at the event, the beautiful fit,the simplicity and classic cut of the look overall, her hair and makeup, and I think the shoes are right-on with the dress.