Selena Gomez In Julien Macdonald – 2011 MTV Video Music Awards

Too Dark & Too Gothic Award
Selena Gomez co-hosted the Pre-Show at the 2011 MTV Video Music Awards which was held tonight in LA at the Nokia Theatre.

The petite actress chose an intricate black Julien MacDonald Fall 2011 dress.

Her gothic look features a high lace neckline, a short skirt in the front and an overlay in the back with a longer train.

Selena brightened up her dark ensemble by adding gold accessories, including Brian Atwood pumps, a Judith Leiber metallic box clutch, Lorraine Schwartz Ofira gold drop earrings with black stones and a gorgeous black and gold Lorraine Schwartz Ofira cuff.

She finished her look by pulling her hair back into a casual bun and wearing pink lip-gloss.

I love Selena’s accessories but think her dress is a little too sophisticated for the MTV VMA Awards.

I wish she had opted for something brighter, younger and more fun.

[nggallery id=960]
Credit: Style.com & Getty

Louise Roe In Tibi - 2011 MTV Video Music Awards

Louise Roe In Tibi – 2011 MTV Video Music Awards

Kelly Rowland In Falguni & Shane Peacock - 2011 MTV Video Music Awards

Kelly Rowland In Falguni & Shane Peacock – 2011 MTV Video Music Awards

27 Responses to Selena Gomez In Julien Macdonald – 2011 MTV Video Music Awards

1. Alla August 29, 2011 at 01:36 #

Why does she favor these mullet dresses? They can’t help but look tacky.

• Fashion Critic August 29, 2011 at 01:52 #

why indeed

• Hannah August 29, 2011 at 02:59 #

100% agree. They just cheapen a look, if you wan tot show your legs, wear a mini or wear shorts, if you want ot go for a gown, wear a gown. Tryign to get a look in between those two, in terms of formality or dress code, is much better achieved with selective styling.

• Alina August 29, 2011 at 05:34 #

I agree.

2. Dorian Gray August 29, 2011 at 01:38 #

The dress ages her, I hope to see more colors tonight, it’s still summer!

3. noo August 29, 2011 at 01:39 #

i saw many pictures of selena’s look and i think she looks great at the front and horrible from the back!!! also i think her shoes are too big and i don’t get why she would sacrifice comfort for this specific pair which isn’t too special!

4. Liz August 29, 2011 at 01:43 #

She has such a baby face. Looks like this will never work on her.
    The whole thing is just wrong.

5. Jessica August 29, 2011 at 01:45 #

When I first saw the pic, I saw the dress like a mini, without the train and I felt it was really nice!! I feel that the train, makes it a tad too ‘dramatic’ for mtv vmas.

6. maria August 29, 2011 at 01:45 #

i adore the back of this dress. I love it, but i don’t think that she is old enough to pull it off. This needs a fullbodied or fullblooded? woman.

• mm August 29, 2011 at 02:00 #

I so agree!

7. pascha August 29, 2011 at 01:47 #

I actually think if the dress were in a light pink/cream or even gold to match her shoes it would’ve made the look much more youthful/girly.

Colour aside I think she looks beautiful here. She carries the dress off really well considering how young she is and it’s interesting to see her try something new.

Keep them coming FC! Really great coverage so far. :)

8. chocolatepluscheese August 29, 2011 at 01:51 #

Ugh. She totally killed this dress for me. Gorgeous, gorgeous dress, but she just looks comical in it. I really wish someone else had worn this first. Maybe Evan Rachel Wood or Emily Blunt.

9. christine August 29, 2011 at 01:52 #

I hope we see more bright, fun colors at the VMAs..it’s still summer…afterall.

10. WendyB August 29, 2011 at 02:05 #

I love a mullet dress…maybe it would have been better in a different color for her…but she does have great legs!

11. Shaina August 29, 2011 at 02:26 #

What is with all this black? Fall is not here just yet!

12. Raquel August 29, 2011 at 02:47 #

She doesn’t have the attitude to pull off the gothic look and it shows. The heels are baaad.

13. Hannah August 29, 2011 at 02:57 #

I thinkt hedres itself si actuallyquite interesting and dark and mysterious, unfortunately Selena is none of those, so it doesn’t work on her. On someone taller and less cutesy it coudl ahve worked, and with mroe appropriate, bette rsutied accessories. She needs to learn that gold heels adn a clutch do not, jsut not, go with everything. Also, a black, gothic dress is almsot always a death sentence for me on young, innocent seeming young stars, to reminiscent of taylor momsen.

14. karen August 29, 2011 at 03:38 #

The dress is not ugly, but in her it looks very cheap and tacky.
    She might be 19, but she does not look it, and with her pink/girly face, it’s just so weird.

15. taylor August 29, 2011 at 05:01 #

No, no, no.

16. Terry August 29, 2011 at 08:03 #

Poor S: she really can’t pull this dress off. Am I the only one who thinks she actually wasn’t happy with what she was wearing? I mean, you can see she looks uncomfortable…

17. Paddy M August 29, 2011 at 10:31 #

I actually think this is an awesome look. She could have picked something more event-appropriate, and I can think of several people better suited to wearing this dress, but I love the look nonetheless.

18. Can August 29, 2011 at 11:09 #

The dress made more sense to me when she was stood next to her boyfriend.

It’s a bit theatrical but I like it for some reason.

It’s always interesting to see how coupledom affects a usually stylish girl’s judgement. This is no exception.

19. Jones19 August 29, 2011 at 12:04 #

Where has all the playfulness gone?

20. robbie August 29, 2011 at 13:16 #

would have looked gorgeous if the dress was full length, those mullet dresses are just horrid. although to be honest it looks like it belongs in the moulin rouge not on the red carpet.

21. Michelle August 29, 2011 at 19:59 #

This dress is swallowing her up. It’s way too much for her. Good Lord. The dress is wearing her instead of the other way around.

22. serenissima September 2, 2011 at 01:43 #

“Brighter, younger, and more fun?” impossible for selena gomez. she insists on dressing like she’s 30.

23. xo October 30, 2011 at 01:44 #

no offense but, selena gomez can’t pull off gothic looks….she has the face of a cabbage patch doll too