Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Alexander McQueen – Birmingham Visit

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge visited The Summerfield Community Centre in Birmingham, England today to show their support to the victims of the senseless riots which swept through the country last week.

Catherine continues to favour the military inspired looks from the Alexander McQueen Pre-Fall 2011 collection.

On this occasion she wore an Alexander McQueen military silk-georgette blouse with navy trims, a stand collar, gold button-fastening epaulets and military-style frogging at front.

The blouse was paired with a navy Alexander McQueen wool-crepe skirt which has gold anchor-embossed button embellishments and shorter front slits.

Her relaxed sophisticated look is event appropriate whilst still being very stylish.

I’m glad she’s found the right balance despite this being yet another head-to-toe (almost) navy look.

[nggallery id=956]

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Lady GaGa In Tom Ford - MTV News

Lady GaGa In Tom Ford – MTV News

In Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge's Closet - Alexander McQueen Blouse & Skirt

In Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge’s Closet – Alexander McQueen Blouse & Skirt

57 Comments

57 Responses to Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Alexander McQueen – Birmingham Visit

1. Maz August 19, 2011 at 12:57 #

Love it! So chic. Maybe it would’ve looked better with her hair a tight pony but this is her trademark and anyway it may have looked too ‘fashion’ for the occasion…

• Sandie August 19, 2011 at 14:15 #

• Lily August 20, 2011 at 06:28 #

Agree! Love it!

2. Vee August 19, 2011 at 13:05 #

yes! finally! something that shows personal style and is visually interesting!

3. mon August 19, 2011 at 13:05 #

Why doesnt she try another hairstyle?? Honestly, more than wearing the same patterns and same colours.. that is starting to bother more than any other thing.. On the other hand, she always looks great :)

4. couturecoco August 19, 2011 at 13:21 #

*sigh* At least navy is more photogenic than black? I think she looks great, it suits her, though I’m not a fan of the military look. Wonder how the skirt would look in camel.

5. Grace August 19, 2011 at 13:49 #

Nice Outfit. I’m surprised she wasn’t carrying a clutch this time.

6. noo August 19, 2011 at 13:53 #

i don’t like this look one bit !!! the outfit doesn’t go with her shoes, her hair is boring and i think she added even more eyeliner :S

• Jones19 August 19, 2011 at 14:26 #

The eyeliner is out of control! She needs an intervention.

• Ava August 19, 2011 at 23:11 #

+ 1000

7. Alina August 19, 2011 at 13:54 #

Ponytail ! Ponytail !

• Nat39 August 19, 2011 at 23:09 #

I`d say a sleek bun :) def. not the very feminine loose wavy hair with this military inspired outfit. Bad shoe choice too, prefer the model`s.
      It`s a chic outfit, love it on her, but the styling is all wrong.

8. arabeszk August 19, 2011 at 13:59 #

Very pretty, but somehow she always disappoints me with killing the “mcqueenish” thing in McQueen. Probably too shy for this brand.

• Jones19 August 19, 2011 at 14:21 #

Yep she doesn’t have the edgy attitude to bring it to life.

• noo August 19, 2011 at 15:04 #

to quote Tyra Banks “the clothes are wearing her” !!!

• Leti August 19, 2011 at 16:24 #

Agreed. This look really loses something on her. The hair and shoes don’t suit this look at all, and it’s missing the belt.

• justme August 19, 2011 at 17:47 #

Thank you! She really needs to look for items in other brands if she’s gonna keep watering down every McQueen outfit thrown her way.

9. Betty Brandenburg August 19, 2011 at 14:08 #

To make an Alexander Mc Queen outfit look boring takes some skill but Kate manages it. I’m trying to think back to when I was 30 – was I that timid?
    Navy (both literally and colourwise) overkill. Boring hair, boring shoes, no belt bling, no shot of colour (funky red lippy would have been inappropriate, I agree). Having said that, this whole outfit is a strange choice for the occasion, I find – her husband’s in civvies and she dresses in military style – What the what?

• Verena August 19, 2011 at 16:14 #

I agree! For months I’ve been wondering: Why insist on wearing McQueen when you clearly aren’t into the McQueen aesthetic? She sucks the life out of those clothes :-(

I understand where she’s coming from, I really do. But this hair absolutely does not go with everything. In this case I even think it’s the biggest problem.

• Lee Ann August 19, 2011 at 21:39 #

Finally kindred spirits – the woman has no style. This is one of her worst looks

• molly August 19, 2011 at 21:49 #

My biggest problem is where she is wearing it. How inaappropriate. She is visiting victims of the riots, and she shows up in a $10,000 outfit. Wearing Zara or Topshop would have been much better. And a little color would help. I do like it though.

10. Jones19 August 19, 2011 at 14:21 #

I love this look but it’s all wrong for her figure, it really brings attention to her broad shoulders…

11. AW August 19, 2011 at 14:27 #

I’ve decided that the eyeliner is tattooed on.

There’s no other explanation.

• Fashion Critic August 19, 2011 at 14:33 #

It must be I agree

• L August 19, 2011 at 18:03 #

The eyeliner is actually different for every event. :)

12. http://whatisthenewblack.blogspot.com/ August 19, 2011 at 14:33 #

Hm, this is tricky. I’m not 100% sure about the skirt, but I like the shirt. And I’m glad she isn’t wearing the belt, looks better without it!

13. maria August 19, 2011 at 14:34 #

i love this outfit, apart of the shoes. I assume it’s hard to be more fashion forward, but it would have elevated the look for me.
    i like that she sticks primary to English brands.

• Fiona August 19, 2011 at 15:05 #

My thoughts exactly, she has worn these shoes a lot and they are very dull and not especially stylish or flattering. She could do better without going crazy. Interesting thought about the eyeliner, I hadn’t considered it until now but it makes sense, why though???

• noo August 19, 2011 at 17:18 #

maybe these are her designated mcqueen shoes, she has worn them with two mcqueen looks before, and if she continues to wear military-inspired mcqueen we might see them a lot more :S

14. Yasmine August 19, 2011 at 14:36 #

I can sense FC is putting in every effort to compromise with the Duchess hehe

• noo August 19, 2011 at 15:08 #

aren’t we all?! you see really stylish women like rachel zoe and anne hathaway singing the praises of her style and alot of people don’t get it :D personally i’m always trying to convince myself that she looks good when sometimes she just doesn’t!

• Yasmine August 19, 2011 at 16:39 #

yes we are ! at first i thought we expected too much but now i see what everybody was saying !

• Nia August 19, 2011 at 18:01 #

That’s because Rachel and Anne are ass-kissing. I’m sorry, but it is mindless celeb ass-kissing and probably a bit of social pandering to royalty as well. They think it gives them more ‘cache’ so to speak if they let the world see that they can align themselves with and relate to the fashion sense of popular British royalty.

15. dee August 19, 2011 at 15:14 #

The outfit isn’t terrible but she brings no life to it.

16. Elaine2 August 19, 2011 at 15:18 #

Not too impressed by Duchess Doolittle, sorry. I agree with the commenters who note that she probably doesn’t have the flair to pull off wearing McQueen, and that her hair is always the same. I guess she considers her hair her best feature.
    Always wearing navy, cream color combinations would drive me crazy. Major yawn factor here…

Do you really think she tattooed the eyeliner??? EEK!

17. Kate August 19, 2011 at 15:35 #

I like it. A bit out of her comfort zone which is applaudable. Doesnt 100% pull it off but shes on the right path-and we do have to remember where she is, fashion should take a back seat, lets hope shes leaving the more ‘fashion’ looks for more suitable occasions.

18. Azalea August 19, 2011 at 15:49 #

Not a fan… when did the military look come into fashion?! Not cool. Shame!

19. Tatiana August 19, 2011 at 16:09 #

Those shoes need to be burned, they’re atrocious & frumpy with this whole look. Also, is it me or is she starting to look like a bobble head doll? Too much hair & she’s too skinny :/

20. Faellie August 19, 2011 at 16:11 #

I bet she realises that she’s going to get the most photographs taken in her early years in the Royal family, and that any of those photographs showing anything faddish or outlandish will be recycled for the rest of her life and beyond – think of all the Diana obituaries with the see-through skirt and overly low-cut black dress from when she was 19 years old.

Unlike the rest of us with our freedom to take risks and experiment with fashion, and get it wrong every now and then, Kate’s going to have to live with every fashion choice being thrown back at her for the rest of her life. She’s on the safe side of fashion-forward, but I can’t blame her a bit. We are not her target audience!

• mikeijames August 19, 2011 at 16:39 #

i completely agree with this. also, while so many would like to rhapsodize about alexander mcqueen as if he’s still living and still carrying around that same edgy cachet, the reality remains that the house and the brand has become something much more important than that since his untimely demise and the duchess embodies that change.

21. Nia August 19, 2011 at 17:56 #

Oh dear, not good at all. Boring, lifeless, aging, boring shoes….Sorry!

22. L August 19, 2011 at 18:00 #

I adore the skirt – great cut and fit and she looked great walking in it! (the top pic doesn’t do it justice) – and I like the outfit as a whole. Funky. The shoes people are knocking are simple Prada pumps. I don’t get the hate. They’re nice navy pumps.

I think Kate’s a great brand ambassador for McQueen. She shows that it can be ladylike and wearable by everyone, not just edgy superstars. (Hey, Jane Lynch just rocked one.) That is a change Sarah Burton has brought about. McQueen’s clothes were always fabulous, but not exactly wearable. Now it does both. McQueen has plenty of other well-known people and editorials that show the edgy side of the brand. It’s not suffering at the moment. On the contrary…

23. Kaki August 19, 2011 at 18:56 #

I dont get the hype, she is not cute and dresses boring

• dee August 19, 2011 at 19:39 #

24. molly August 19, 2011 at 19:41 #

I really like this. And im glad she finally changed up the eyeliner. Its still not great, but she finally put it on the waterline(which I do) but how does it stay there? Mine usually blend into the lash line, and thats why I wear it like that.
    All she needs is a ponytail. Her hair is slightly frizzy, so I assume it is humid! She looks good.

25. moja31 August 19, 2011 at 19:45 #

Like others have said, she takes the McQueen out of McQueen; Sarah Burton really needs to find a way to tell her no. Plus I’m not sure McQueen is what I’d whip out to go and meet with folks who have lost everything, & had their livelihoods destroyed by senseless hooligans. something a little less flashy would have been more event appropriate imo.

26. Dhppy August 19, 2011 at 20:24 #

It seems a bit odd that she would wear a $1000 skirt to tour a riot torrn area. If ever there was a time for her to wear her more accessibly priced outfits, this would be it.

27. TeaAtTwo August 19, 2011 at 20:54 #

At least she’s not re-wearing some bland high street outfit that she’s had for years.

28. Nia August 19, 2011 at 23:27 #

I really feel I have to revisit my comments. I did not realize she was visiting the riot victims until I re-read the post just now, I thought she was attending a normal social function. In light of the circumstances it probably does not matter if she looked boring or not. It might be just as well that she didn’t in fact.

29. Jimla August 20, 2011 at 14:44 #

Someone has to tell her that it is not a crime to wear non-british designers.

30. pam August 20, 2011 at 21:47 #

I like this look on Catherine. As for sucking the edginess out of the outfit, I say BS. That blouse and skirt are timeless. It is the slick ponytail and the boots on the model that give it the edge. So if that is your style, go for it. I think the McQueen brand’s success is due in large part to the fact that it’s pieces, while outstanding on their own, can adapt to many different women and their lifestyles. This skirt and blouse would work on a woman of any age. On Catherine I think some black patent pumps would have worked better.

31. cheryl August 21, 2011 at 03:48 #

the eyeliner…. and yeah i agree i think the look will look more gorgeous if she tied her hair back into a ponytail.

32. Bec August 21, 2011 at 07:05 #

I love the outfit but Kate can’t carry it off. Such a shame.

33. thebeautyphilosopher August 22, 2011 at 13:47 #

I’m really enjoying seeing the relationship between the Duchess and Sarah Burton unfold. I have a feeling that over time it will become really special and breathtaking.

34. Anne G August 23, 2011 at 01:08 #

I find it a little unnerving that she is wearing flashy designer clothes designer to a impoverished area recovering from a riot. That said, in terms of style,I don’t think that this is one of her best choices. It just doesn’t quite work — I think another comment said it best when they suggest it didn’t work well with her broad shoulders.

I echo the sentiment that she overdoes her eyeshadow. It is very obvious that she does her own make-up. What she needs to realize that her personal preference for dark smudgy liner just does not photograph well.

35. roxana August 29, 2011 at 12:17 #

the skirt is too long and it ages her!