17.08.11 Premiere

Elizabeth Banks In Prada – “Our Idiot Brother” LA Premiere

Elizabeth Banks was one of the few stars to add some colour to the red carpet last night when she attended the LA Premiere for “Our Idiot Brother.”

She wore a colour-block Prada Resort 2012 dress which I like and dislike in equal measures.

From the front we can see black and pink panels, but the colour-blocking get a tad out of control at the back with additional dove grey and mint green panels.

I think the dress already has enough going on with embellished neckline without adding more focus to the back.

Black Miu Miu Suede peep-toe pumps and a pink Prada clutch complete her look.

Retro curls, Irene Neuwirth jewels and flawless make-up completed Elizabeth’s look, but the back of the dress almost ruins all that is good with this look.

[nggallery id=954]

Credit: Getty

Daisy Bevan In Roksanda Ilincic - 'The Two Faces of January' Berlin Film Festival Premiere

Daisy Bevan In Roksanda Ilincic – ‘The Two Faces of January’ Berlin Film Festival Premiere

Rashida Jones In Stella McCartney - “Our Idiot Brother” LA Premiere

Rashida Jones In Stella McCartney – “Our Idiot Brother” LA Premiere

33 Responses to Elizabeth Banks In Prada – “Our Idiot Brother” LA Premiere

1. Giuseppi Giraffe August 17, 2011 at 15:57 #

Yeah, the back is really overkill. It just sucks the life right out of the dress.

2. dee August 17, 2011 at 15:58 #

Too many elements going on in the dress which makes it not cohesive. I like the front top section of the dress.

3. AW August 17, 2011 at 16:08 #

Of course the back is terrible but I think overall the dress is ugly and not flattering.

• Jen August 17, 2011 at 16:48 #

Agree.

• laura D August 17, 2011 at 19:38 #

Yes, even if the back matched the front, this dress fits awkwardly

4. maria August 17, 2011 at 16:16 #

i wonder if this is a dress that looks nice in motion, with the fabric being a bit loose, like wings?

i don’t mind the colours, i think they work well together.

5. Moxie August 17, 2011 at 16:18 #

The back is awful and the front just isn’t laying right, so the whole thing looks messy.

6. Emily August 17, 2011 at 16:20 #

Pretty sure it’s Nina Ricci, I agree, from neck down it’s shambles.

• Alina August 17, 2011 at 16:41 #

I thought it’s Nina Ricci too.

Apart from the hideous back , the dress isn’t flattering on her at all.

7. Molly August 17, 2011 at 16:30 #

Neck up is amazing – her hair and makeup are beautiful. But the dress seems to have an identity crisis – can’t decide what it wants to be. In particular, I think the textures are at odds with each other. The fabric appears to be light and airy and the shape seems to want to be kind of a flowy summer thing (although it fails, just looks shapeless and ill-fitting) – but then you’ve got this really heavy embellishment that is completely at odds with the texture on the pink fabric. It just doesn’t work at all as a unit, and this is a fundamental design problem – all the perfect styling and attitude in the world wouldn’t fix it.

• Faellie August 17, 2011 at 19:02 #

I agree: the hair and make-up make her look absolutely stunningly beautiful. I suspect there was a nice idea somewhere at the start of the dress, but the technical execution needed to be a lot better.

8. june August 17, 2011 at 16:39 #

i think if the pink was used as an accent colour — as in the back was in whites or greys or black instead of a blue grey *and* mint, it would look like less of a mess

9. Rebecca Z August 17, 2011 at 17:15 #

Dreadful dress–what was she thinking?

10. Dorian Gray August 17, 2011 at 17:23 #

I’m a Prada fan but the FW11 shoes collecton it’s not one of her best.

11. Paddy M August 17, 2011 at 17:38 #

I normally love Prada. This looks like something from Project Runway. What was Elizabeth thinking and, more importantly, what was Miuccia thinking?!?

12. Vidhya August 17, 2011 at 17:43 #

Are you sure its Prada??? Cant see it in Style.. plus still cant believe they made such a hideous dress :(

13. Jones19 August 17, 2011 at 17:47 #

This is just one hot mess, whoever put this design together needs to take a long hard look in the mirror.

14. LL August 17, 2011 at 17:49 #

Did a little reconnaissance. According to the pictures up on style.com, this dress is not Prada or Nina Ricci resort 2012. Although, the pink/mint green colors were used along with chiffon in the Nina Ricci collection. Let’s hope this wasn’t a custom dress — that would make the color combo even more confusing (why if you had the choice, would you put these colors together???)

• Fashion Critic August 17, 2011 at 22:15 #

It is Prada, they confirmed it’s from their Resort collection.

I don’t add designer credits until I have confirmation or I have seen it on Style.com, hence the side by side pictures.

That is the whole purpose of the blog to give correct information.

Some designers can make up to 300 per season and only a few added to Style.com.

• LL August 18, 2011 at 01:54 #

Oh, I didn’t know that style.com didn’t post all of the pictures up. They should really let people know that some of the slideshows could be incomplete. Is there one website that does post all of the pictures (instead of going to all of the individual designer pages)?

• Fashion Critic August 18, 2011 at 05:29 #

It’s not that the collection is incomplete, it’s a case of Prada or Style.com deciding that the looks on Style.com best represent that collection.

• Vidhya August 18, 2011 at 07:15 #

haha.. They were right in deciding this dress definitely did not represent the collection…

15. noo August 17, 2011 at 18:11 #

i looked at this and thought “gorgeous, bdotw” but then i saw the back and i wanted to cry!

16. kin August 17, 2011 at 19:00 #

WHY do celebs wear shoes that are bigger than their actual size? It’s beyond my understanding. why??

• Molly August 17, 2011 at 22:54 #

These looks like they’re only maybe half a size too big – and is probably just a case where the size that seems to fit right when you’re trying the shoes on, suddenly is slightly too big when you’re out walking around in the real world. As you walk in heels this high, your feet push forward and gradually stretch out the front of the shoe – which looks like what has happened here. I agree with you on some of the more grievous Lea Michele type situations, though – it’s like they just grabbed a random pair of shoes sitting by the door and stuck them on (which may indeed be the case if they’re wearing sample shoes that come in a size different than their feet).

17. justme August 17, 2011 at 20:03 #

So noone is talking about that eyeliner, huh? Ok, I’ll be quiet then.

• Molly August 17, 2011 at 22:50 #

I don’t mind the eyeliner. Definitely noticed it, but it seems right with the rest of the makeup. Very Mad Men era dress-up look – not necessarily what the dress is, but the makeup and hair all seem to go together to me, and that includes the cat-eye eyeliner and false eyelashes.

18. Nat39 August 17, 2011 at 21:25 #

And that`s the reason I despise the color-blocking trend. It`s not about the colors (I love colors) it`s about the way they combine them, make them clash in a very unappealing way, basically dividing the outfit into what looks like random color sections that do not work together, and passing it as a fashion trend.
    Awful dress, awful fit.
    Gorgeous hair and makeup.

19. Parvati August 17, 2011 at 21:49 #

Although this dress looks a bit weird at the front, I don’t dislike it. The back is too much, though. At least, she wisely kept the accessories toned down – this clutch looks perfect combined with this dress!
    However, I don’t like the make-up. I don’t know, it seems like she has too much make-up, so that her face looks different.

20. CreoleLady August 17, 2011 at 23:14 #

Ugly ugly dress. I completely dislike the designer’s sensibility over this past year. Often, people look good in Prada despite the design, not because. In some instances, an ugly look (those awful Prada stripes) is elevated into chicness through the sheer star power and panache of the wearer. If being a fashionista means liking expensive dreck like this, I proudly proclaim that I am no fashionista.

21. TeaAtTwo August 17, 2011 at 23:41 #

It’s funny, she has on a horrible dress, what appears to be too much fake tan/foundation and her roots are showing through but she still smoulders.

22. robbie August 18, 2011 at 00:02 #

i will probably be one of the few (or maybe the only one) that loves the dress, would have been better if it was more fitted and perhaps with some more edgy accessories and hair.

23. kiwi August 18, 2011 at 12:33 #

Even the fit is a bit weird.. I don’t like anything about this look