Lea Michele In Alberta Ferretti – 10th Annual InStyle Summer Soiree

Lea Michele has had a fantastic red carpet run recently despite the oversized shoes, which we couldn’t see at the 10th Annual InStyle Summer Soiree which was held at The London Hotel in West Hollywood, California yesterday.

The ‘Glee’ actress wore an Alberta Ferretti Fall 2011 black gown with velvet floral details.

Her halter has been understandable lined from the runway, so I had to look to what else was bugging me about this look.

It’s the hair. The braided headband isn’t working for me.

I’m also not keen on the fact that in comparison to everyone else at this event she appears to be a tad overdressed.

Plus she doesn’t really have the height to pull off this look.

[nggallery id=945]

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Jayma Mays In Zuhair Murad - 10th Annual InStyle Summer Soiree

Jayma Mays In Zuhair Murad – 10th Annual InStyle Summer Soiree

Jamie King In Jason Wu - 10th Annual InStyle Summer Soiree

Jamie King In Jason Wu – 10th Annual InStyle Summer Soiree

26 Responses to Lea Michele In Alberta Ferretti – 10th Annual InStyle Summer Soiree

1. Alina August 11, 2011 at 12:07 #

The hair is a disaster.

The dress would have worked if she had attended the “Annual InStyle Fall Soiree” .

2. aiyu August 11, 2011 at 12:10 #

I think she lacks the height to pull off this dress. I don’t like the hair either

• Fashion Critic August 11, 2011 at 12:21 #

Thanks….that was the other thing nagging me. You are totally right.

3. Fiona August 11, 2011 at 12:22 #

Wrong dress, wrong season, wrong hair, oh my. When the word “summer” is in the invite, why would you wear a black velvet fall line gown? I agree that she is too short for this dress too.

4. Michelle August 11, 2011 at 12:26 #

It’s a shame she doesn’t have the height to pull of this amazing dress, I actually find the dress a tad overwhelming for her frame. I’m not too sure about the hair – the bun doesn’t seem right. Nice make-up though

5. Parvati August 11, 2011 at 12:42 #

I don’t like anything on this look. The hair is bad and the dress looks much better on the model – and it’s also too heavy for summer.

• dee August 11, 2011 at 15:19 #

6. -N August 11, 2011 at 13:12 #

i don’t think the headband is the problem, its the off center bun :$ and the dress is too long for her!

• Fashion Critic August 11, 2011 at 13:18 #

Hmm…yes you make a great point

7. noo August 11, 2011 at 13:16 #

maybe if she had kept the dress transparent that would have helped, no forget it! the look from head to toe is disasterous!!!

8. MReid August 11, 2011 at 14:03 #

FC I want to agree that it’s her lack of height but Christina Ricci has proved time and again that with just the right attitude, panache and expert tailoring, short girls can work a confection of a dress like a supermodel. That’s what Lea lacks here. Us short girls (I’m 5’4″ i’m preaching from the heart) can’t depend on “sweet girl next door” or “jersey shore sex kitten” (as evidenced in that third scan in the series) looks to get us to BDOTW. We’d better werk our inner supermodel attitude and top that off with expert tailoring! Unfortunately, dear Lea constantly ignores this rule in the short girls handbook!

• Fashion Critic August 11, 2011 at 14:08 #

I really loved your comment. The comparison to Christina Ricci is spot on. We know she’s petite yet you think she’s as tall as Gisele.

• fromchi-town August 11, 2011 at 14:18 #

I totally agree. Its the right attitude together with tailoring to what fits you best!

9. Jones19 August 11, 2011 at 14:37 #

The hair is just plain awful, hairband or not. The dress overwhelms her petite little body, such a let down since I adore Lea.

10. mochababe73 August 11, 2011 at 15:40 #

I guess that she didn’t know that this was a summer soiree. Again, this is Lea trying too hard. She would have looked so good in a summer dress, sandals, and all of that beautiful hair flowy and carefree.

11. Rebecca Z August 11, 2011 at 16:16 #

She can look so great and SOOO bad. This one will not help her with her critics. I agree with all the comments here. Really too bad, because she can do better.

12. Raquel August 11, 2011 at 16:22 #

The height is not a problem, many short actresses/celebrities manage to work around dresses like this – Eva Longori, Jada Pinkett Smith, Cristina Ricci…

II think what is missing in this dress is some of the original transparence, which would have added some much needed softness to the look.

13. Tatiana August 11, 2011 at 16:24 #

Everything just looks too heavy for a summer event. I do love the makeup, but again, smokey eyes in the summer?! I’m perplexed as to why amakeup artist would do that :S. Also, the hair, I just hope she didn’t pay someone to create that hot mess because it’s just AWFUL & looks like she made it herself in a hurry after coming out of the shower :S

• Molly August 11, 2011 at 16:28 #

I was just getting ready to post a similar comment about the hair – that this is the EXACT hairdo I wear when I’m going in the shower but don’t want to wash my hair.

14. robbie August 11, 2011 at 18:08 #

another dress that needs someone like cate blanchett to rock it.

head to toe disaster.

• robbie August 11, 2011 at 18:10 #

also please for the love of god someone tell her to stop trying to do the sexy face.

15. justme August 11, 2011 at 19:03 #

With a dress with so many details on the neckline, you need to stand up straight, pull your shoulders back and elongate the hell outta your neck… ESPECIALLY if you’re short to begin with.
    Also, I don’t mind messy buns but this just looks like something you do with your hair on a rainy Sunday when you’re about to do a facial mask.

16. Carmen August 11, 2011 at 21:54 #

I dislike the hair a lot. Why didn’t she take a cue from model Jac on the runway? A dress like this with a lot of detailing needs a simple hair-do. I also agree Lea doesn’t have the height to pull off this look, even though she’s trying so hard to. But that’s not all to blame. Look at Christina Ricci in Zac Posen at the most recent Met Ball!

17. Shauni212 August 11, 2011 at 22:22 #

She looks a mess and is trying way to hard to be fashionable.

18. cookie August 13, 2011 at 03:30 #

uhh, lea is wearin way too much black for this red carpet event and no offense, but the only person who can rock a bun hairstyle is lauren conrad & NOT lea. she looks really bad……

19. Amy August 16, 2011 at 17:12 #

I really love the bun. It complements her features and tones down that sex kitten look she’s been giving. Otherwise the look doesn’t work for me at all.