10.08.11 Premiere

Bryce Dallas Howard In Kate Spade New York – “The Help” LA Premiere

Bryce Dallas Howard hit the red carpet in LA on Tuesday night for the premiere of her latest movie, “The Help.”

The pregnant star opted to wear a custom-made Kate Spade New York dress.

Her ballet pink and navy v-neck dress with coral belt was paired with Kate Spade New York ‘Ivy’ gold metallic sandals.

As the face of the brand it’s not surprising that Bryce wore a custom look.

What is surprising is how bad this dress is.

I thought maternity wear had evolved past this unflattering stage.

The only thing I like about this look is the coral belt, her updo and her 3 stone drop earrings.

Jessica Alba has proved time and again that maternity red carpet looks can be chic, so I’m left baffled by this look.

Credit: Getty

Emma Stone In Chanel Couture - "The Help" LA Premiere

Emma Stone In Chanel Couture – “The Help” LA Premiere

Viola Davis In Escada - “The Help” LA Premiere

Viola Davis In Escada – “The Help” LA Premiere

35 Comments

35 Responses to Bryce Dallas Howard In Kate Spade New York – “The Help” LA Premiere

1. bridget August 10, 2011 at 06:08 #

omg its awful and not on brand for Kate Spade at all

2. Jacque August 10, 2011 at 06:32 #

I’m baffled by her maternity style period.

3. Emi August 10, 2011 at 06:35 #

Very ugly dress… I like the earrings and she’s so beautiful and glowing.

4. Jen August 10, 2011 at 06:43 #

Eew! That’s like the heaviest maxi dress I’ve ever seen.. The fabric looks so heavy and the colorblock is very unflattering!

Jessica Alba’s DVF maxi is the perfect example on how to rock the colorblock trend when pregnant:

5. Donna August 10, 2011 at 06:52 #

It looks like a bad 4th of July outfit. Not attractive at all.

6. Alina August 10, 2011 at 06:56 #

She’s stunning from the neck up.

7. Anna August 10, 2011 at 09:55 #

FC, I’m 7 months pregnant and I can tell you maternity fashion has NOT moved forward!! As soon as you start showing your main options (affordable ones anyway) are leggings and babydoll type tent-like tops/tunics/dresses! It’s an absolute nightmare. Only non-baggy option I’ve found is Isabella Oliver!! Can’t wait to be able to buy normal clothes again!!

• Fashion Critic August 10, 2011 at 10:13 #

I’m really surprised.

I was going to say Isabella Oliver and Peas In A Pod, but of course they would be expensive.

In the case the dress was custom made so it should’ve been more flattering and less sack-like.

• Sea August 10, 2011 at 10:21 #

I can’t agree with you more! I’m not yet pregnant but when I did look through the options I woud have when I become pregnant, I was horrified!

• Anna August 10, 2011 at 12:03 #

It’s a complete trawl that is needed to find anything suitable! I like showing off my bump and am very lucky that I’m all bump and no other weight gain so am happy in fitted tops and dresses! But no heels… thank heavens for stylish flats….. hips can’t take heels at this stage! :)

• KateS August 11, 2011 at 03:36 #

I second Anna’s comments about maternity clothes. I’m nearly 9 months now, and although I’ve been fairly small the whole way through, anything even slightly attractive has been impossible to find for months. It’s all shapeless tunics. Then again, I’m pretty sure I could do better than this if I had Kate Spade’s design team at my disposal!

8. The Dame August 10, 2011 at 10:06 #

Horrible! No words…

9. Sea August 10, 2011 at 10:25 #

this looks ethnic (in a bad way), matronly and costumy.

10. couturecoco August 10, 2011 at 10:27 #

I think the problem is that this dress has too much volume and excess material which is never a good idea during any part of a pregnancy. She should have worn it when more pregnant to fill out the skirt or they should have kept the gathers only at the sides and back, the waist band should be much narrower and the top should also be slimmer cut to contrast better with the skirt.
    It’s still all about proportion and she has been really brave using colours like these.

Shame the execution was not good enough.

11. Lucinda August 10, 2011 at 10:42 #

This looks like it was stolen from a pantomime!

12. Maddie August 10, 2011 at 10:54 #

My problem isn’t the dress – which isn’t great – but the make-up. There’s something off about it.

13. Parvati August 10, 2011 at 11:13 #

I think the dress might have looked better if it had been sleeveless.

14. Pati August 10, 2011 at 11:22 #

It´s not a dress, it´s a parachute.

15. Valeria August 10, 2011 at 11:31 #

She is absolutely glowing ad makeup is flawless! Dress looks like what waitresses in Korean restaurants wear as a replica of national costume, totally! At least she must have felt roomy and comfy in that tent:)

16. heather August 10, 2011 at 13:38 #

Jessica Alba isn’t the only well-dressed pregnant celebrity-Tori Spelling, Heidi Klum, Kate Hudson, etc.

Bryce wears this shape a lot when she’s pregnant (this is her second child) and she may not like anything too fitted. It’s a shame she favors tents, but being comfortable is more important when you are pregnant than when you aren’t. She’d look great in some other more form-fitting styles, yes, but she’s got the glow of a beautiful pregnant woman no matter what she’s wearing from the neck down.

17. Jones19 August 10, 2011 at 14:29 #

That skirt looks like a TENT, I miss Heidi Klum’s pregnancy style. She wasn’t afraid to wear formfitting gowns.

18. dee August 10, 2011 at 15:16 #

I would have liked this dress better if it were sleeveless and had less volume on the skirt part.

19. jx August 10, 2011 at 15:43 #

the colour combination (including the earrings) is very good. if only the top half is a bit more form-fitting, then it could’ve been perfect.

20. Raquel August 10, 2011 at 15:49 #

I’m not a fan of the dress, but she is glowing. Different pregnant women have different maternity style approaches. Maybe she feels good this way and I give her a pass.

• Leti August 10, 2011 at 19:29 #

21. jen August 10, 2011 at 17:12 #

As someone who is 6 months pregnant I have to agree that comfort is more important than style. We can’t all be Victoria Beckham wearing 6 inch stillettos at 6 months, some of us just can’t or won’t. I actually think Bryce looks glowing and brilliant. The colors aren’t great, but overall she looks beautiful and pregnant. I know for me, I can wear fitted clothes, but at the belly gets bigger, I don’t want them. If a tent is what feels good that day, then that’s what I’m wearing.

22. Alexandra August 10, 2011 at 17:23 #

she does look beautiful, her face glows, her earrings are stunning and navy, white and red/coral happens to be one of my favourite color combination, but I agree, the dress could have been much better.

23. erica August 10, 2011 at 17:30 #

definitely should have ditched the sleeves! maternity wear isn’t great, especially in the winter when you really need to bundle up. i’ve survived on leggings and a.p.c. tunic dresses belted above the bump. poor bryce. i remember her wearing a blue dress for her first pregnancy that was much more flattering.

24. Linda August 11, 2011 at 03:01 #

I think she looks nice. I saw pics from other sites and this is a bad camera angle coming up from below, making her look much bigger than in real life.

I love the blue and coral and I do believe this may be a dress that looks better in person.

I think it’s nice to see a star dressed modestly during her pregnancy and give her props for that.

• Zarin August 11, 2011 at 16:09 #

25. Anne G August 12, 2011 at 01:50 #

What’s red, white and dowdy all over! Seriously, what a poor choice for the red carpet.

• Anne G August 12, 2011 at 01:52 #

Sorry, I didn’t realize that the top was pink and the belt was coral. I just had to look away quickly.

26. pipsqueak August 12, 2011 at 04:40 #

She looks okay. She looks like a normal pregnant woman, which probably doesn’t appear that great on the red carpet. I mean, pregnant women in real life don’t always wear the most fitting and flattering clothes like the celebrity moms. Just hard to shop maternity wear. The only good-looking about Dallas is her teeth – very nice ortho work that started early.

27. serenissima August 15, 2011 at 15:39 #

thats it. i need jessica alba to start a maternity line, ASAP