Jennifer Hudson In Lela Rose – 12th Annual Art For Life Benefit

Jennifer Hudson performed at the 12th Annual Art for Life benefit on Saturday, which was held at a Private Residence in East Hampton, New York.

She was spotted backstage looking beautiful wearing a Lela Rose cotton-threaded tulle dress from the Fall 2011 collection.

Her dress has been modified as the skirt under the cotton thread overlay has been shortened to make more of an impact as a performance piece.

I adore her Christian Louboutin Maggie leopard print pumps, but they don’t work for me with her beige tulle cap sleeve dress.

My only other compliant is that the dress appears to be too tight around the bust.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Helen Mirren In Jenny Packham - 2014 Directors Guild Of America Awards

Helen Mirren In Jenny Packham – 2014 Directors Guild Of America Awards

Emma Stone In Jason Wu - "The Help" Mississippi Screening

Emma Stone In Jason Wu – “The Help” Mississippi Screening

15 Responses to Jennifer Hudson In Lela Rose – 12th Annual Art For Life Benefit

1. Laura August 1, 2011 at 14:23 #

The shortened skirt doesn’t bother me, but the color looks different. Jennifer appears to be wearing a bright white version, and I don’t think it goes as well with the overlay as the color the model’s wearing.

2. fromchi-town August 1, 2011 at 14:47 #

I like the dress on her. The dress is very interesting and I think she is working it!!

3. dee August 1, 2011 at 15:18 #

I agree the shoes are fabulous but they do not go with the dress. I don’t like the shortened skirt. I like how it is on the model so much better.

• Elaine2 August 1, 2011 at 16:23 #

My first impression, too! I think Jennifer’s dress is too short, and I prefer the color of the model’s dress – that color would look great on her! Sometimes celebrities wear their clothing too tight and it really detracts from the look.

4. Rebecca Z August 1, 2011 at 15:24 #

Who told these women to stand pigeon-toed? I like the dress, but could appreciate it better is her pose were not so angular!

• Elaine2 August 1, 2011 at 16:25 #

LOL……….yeah, this pigeon-toed stance seems to be the latest thing on the runway. I notice that Heidi Klum most always stands like that when she’s on Project Runway – and it looks very tacky to me. (My mother’s voice – telling me to stand up straight – is coming back to haunt me! LOL)

5. Mick August 1, 2011 at 16:29 #

I really like this dress (i think i had first noticed it in your “favourites” sidebar some time ago), and i really like it on jennifer hudson too, i don’t mind the modifications she made. on the other hand, it’s a big “no” for the shoes, they’re not right for the dress, and i’m not really fond of them at all.

6. Tatiana August 1, 2011 at 17:03 #

The shorter skirt reaaaally bothers me, it cheapens the look, as well as her :S. Also, those shoes totally don’t go with the dress.

Yet again she continues with the tight dresses…

7. mol August 1, 2011 at 17:24 #

I love this dress the way the model wears it – longer and in the tan color…..hopefully someone will chose to wear it in that way…..Jennifer is a beautiful woman but i feel like her modifications have cheapened the dress.

8. Jones19 August 1, 2011 at 17:35 #

She should really try another pose than with her arms out like that, she’s like that in every picture. Anyway I don’t approve of the modifications but she looks pretty none the less.

9. Alina August 1, 2011 at 17:55 #

Bad…

10. Nat39 August 1, 2011 at 19:09 #

Absolutely WRONG dress for her, doesn’t suit her at all. The shoes and the hair don’t work either. Bad choice.

11. Carmen August 1, 2011 at 23:00 #

I love this look on Jennifer, other than the fact that the part around her bust looks too tight and the leopard shoes don’t really go with the tulle (as FC pointed out).

12. Carolina August 2, 2011 at 03:46 #

To me this is a very strange performance piece, as if she is confused about who she is or wants to be. I vote: new stylist, please!

13. que_esq August 2, 2011 at 07:22 #