Who Wore Oscar de la Renta Better? Rihanna or J.K. Rowling

At the 2011 Brit Awards earlier this year, Rihanna wowed the audience when she wore this stunning Oscar de la Renta Spring 2011 creation.

The beautiful singer dazzled in the strapless ivory silk gazar gown embroidered with red carnations, which complemented her fiery red hair perfectly.

Since the gown is such a standout piece, Rihanna chose not to overwhelm it with any accessories.

J.K. Rowling wore a green and rose pink version of the gown (which doesn’t have the same cinched in waist) to the World Premiere of “Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows: Part 2″ in London recently.

The author played up the elegance of the dress by accessorizing with some pretty pink pieces including floral Bulgari earrings, a textured clutch and a matching pink diamond cocktail ring.

She opted to wear her hair in a chic up-do and also wear matching baby pink nail polish.

It’s hard to pick a winner for this one since both women styled the dress so differently, but my vote is going to Rihanna.

She looks amazing when she wears anything red and brings out the boldness of her hair colour even more and I much prefer the colour combination of her dress to the one worn by J.K. Rowling.

Click on the picture above to see more images of these ladies wearing their Oscar de la Renta gowns if you are still undecided.

Credit: Style.com, Zuma Press & Getty

Mila Kunis In L'Agence - Live With Regis & Kelly

Mila Kunis In L’Agence – Live With Regis & Kelly

Emma Stone In Tom Ford - "Crazy, Stupid, Love" World Premiere

Emma Stone In Tom Ford – “Crazy, Stupid, Love” World Premiere

14 Responses to Who Wore Oscar de la Renta Better? Rihanna or J.K. Rowling

1. Roxanne July 20, 2011 at 07:30 #

I like J.K’s cuz its so pretty, and the color really compliments her skin tone very well, and it really is just so English..

Rihanna looks good as well, I love the dress but I dont like how she tries to match it to her hair! And for me, its more of a Katy Perry dress anyways..

2. Sonia July 20, 2011 at 07:32 #

I’m going to have to go with JK Rowling for this one. Not JUST because I am a total Potter obsessed fan but because we see Rihanna in couture pieces all the time and while she does look stunning, in my opinion, its not anything different than the way we see her usually. With JK Rowling, I’ve never seen her in a gown before and she just took my breath away.

Plus the red and white combination while nice is just boring since celebrities do that so much nowadays. I love the pale green, pale pink combo and the way JK Rowling accessorized it with the clutch and earrings.

It was the perfect way for her to go out with a bang signifying the end of an amazing, epic story.

• Caitlin July 20, 2011 at 08:05 #

You are so right – she deserved to stand out in this gown. I just love the satiny sheen of her green dress, she looks like a dewy rose garden in the morning.

3. Alexandra July 20, 2011 at 11:16 #

and to think there was a time you used to hate Rihanna’s “ridiculous red hair”, FC ;)

• Fashion Critic July 20, 2011 at 12:00 #

I know…it was a grower.

Can’t even remember what she looked like before

4. The.Shoe.Freak July 20, 2011 at 14:03 #

None of them…I hated theses dresses the moment they waled down the red carpet. The white with red/green looks like Christmas ornaments. and Rihanna is not 55 years old! and the lighter green version isn’t any better with the washed out green and pale pink flowers. Just very blah dress for me.

5. mochababe73 July 20, 2011 at 15:02 #

Not a fan of these dresses at all. Too heavy on the fabric and the flowered embroidery. Both of the gowns just look too stiff and not flattering on JK. I just don’t like it on Rihanna.

6. Linda July 20, 2011 at 15:33 #

Rihanna bc of the cinched waist.

7. Faellie July 20, 2011 at 15:55 #

Joanne, because Rihanna’s dress doesn’t fit – it’s falling off her boobs.

8. Evelynne July 20, 2011 at 16:03 #

They both look gorgeous, and I prefer the red and white and love how it looks with Rihanna’s hair, but I’m gonna have to go with JK because Rihanna is popping out of the top of hers and it’s distracting.

9. Jones19 July 20, 2011 at 21:54 #

Gotta go with Rihanna on this one, the colors are so much better plus the cinched waist is a lot chicer.

10. bianca July 20, 2011 at 23:55 #

sorry, but j.k looks like she turned into beyonce, over night, with those wide hips!

11. Gwynnie July 24, 2011 at 15:19 #

I think Rihanna looks better but I don’t think it’s a fair comparison.

The obvious age gap aside, Rihanna is a performer – looking stylish and all comes with her job. On the other hand, JK Rowling is a writer, who isn’t really out to make a fashion statement. For Rowling to be subjected to comparison with Rihanna in this aspect, I feel kind of bad about it.

12. sarah:D November 27, 2011 at 19:11 #

I lik Rihannas it really looks amazing, JK’s looks horible.