Jennifer Lopez In Emilio Pucci – BAFTA Brits To Watch Event

There’s A Time And A Place Award
I had mixed feelings when I saw Jennifer Lopez on the red carpet at the BAFTA Brits To Watch Event, which was held at the Belasco Theatre in LA yesterday evening.

On the one hand she’s wearing my favourite Emilio Pucci embroidered sleeve gown from the Fall 2011 collection which was also my second favourite look of the season, plus she working the hell out of it as only JLo can.

On the other hand, the look is totally inappropriate for the event.

I don’t know about you, but if I was going to an event attended by the future Queen of England I wouldn’t want her be able to count my abs.

I thought Jennifer had more class than this.

Whilst she’s representing her diva status, this feels like a blatant attempt to upstage everyone, especially the guest of honour.

She should’ve saved this for the Grammy’s or a movie premiere where I would’ve been screaming BDOTW.

A Lena Erziak clutch completed her look.

[nggallery id=887]

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Nicole Kidman In Elie Saab Couture - BAFTA Brits To Watch Event

Nicole Kidman In Elie Saab Couture – BAFTA Brits To Watch Event

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Alexander McQueen - BAFTA Brits To Watch Event

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Alexander McQueen – BAFTA Brits To Watch Event

82 Responses to Jennifer Lopez In Emilio Pucci – BAFTA Brits To Watch Event

1. robbie July 10, 2011 at 14:44 #

she was meeting members of the royal family dressed like she was heading to the grammy awards! then again, tight, shows flesh and has embellishment typical j lo.

2. Elaine2 July 10, 2011 at 14:44 #

OMG, it’s a disaster. Hate it!

3. Ines July 10, 2011 at 14:44 #

TBH everyone upstagged the Duchess last night. No offence. From Blake to J-Lo and Elizabeth Banks.

I think she looks fab. Good for her.

4. Moxie July 10, 2011 at 14:48 #

More appropriate for the Grammys — she always has to be the center of attention.

5. T from Sydney July 10, 2011 at 14:51 #

She looks amazing but wrrong dress for the occasion you are meeting REAL royalty not Hollywood royalty

All the other guest are all dressed in elegant and sophisticated dresses. This dress is not elegant or sophisticated at all Don’t parties with royals come with a strict dress code??

I agree with j lo trying to update the guest of honor

• Fashion Critic July 10, 2011 at 15:03 #

I thought there would’ve been a very strict dress code too.

I bet there will be for the next event, as this is down right tacky.

• artemis July 10, 2011 at 15:59 #

I have to agree here! Amazing dress, amazing JLO in the dress but she could save it for the Grammys..

• Laura's Opinion July 10, 2011 at 16:48 #

There is. Some people do not understand what protocol is when dealing with royalty. This will never be the case in India.

• 80nine July 10, 2011 at 22:15 #

FC you’re totally right
        when i first saw this i loved it, but then i realised that it was SO inappropriate and bad taste – even Boobs’n’Legs (Blake) managed to look refined and classy

6. Marvel July 10, 2011 at 14:52 #

I can smell the desperation from here.

I thought she was more classier than this.
    A Herve Leger dress at a Charity event I can live with but not this

• Laura's Opinion July 10, 2011 at 16:49 #

Desperate to be taken seriously. No that she ever will be. You can tale the girl out the Bronx……………….

• Lea July 10, 2011 at 21:24 #

Laura that’s incredibly offensive. Thousands of people hail from the Bronxs and to suggest that a girl from there can’t be “taken seriously” is very arrogant. Why would Jlo need to take the Bronx “out of her” anyways? It’s not a disease for god sakes.

7. Erin July 10, 2011 at 14:56 #

The point of the night was to support little-known British actors. They were the guests of honor.

J.Lo always dresses to up-stage, I don’t see why she wouldn’t last night. I’m not a fan of her style. But she dresses true to herself and I can appreciate that.

8. Alina July 10, 2011 at 14:57 #

This dress was made for her but I also think that it’s inappropriate for the event .

9. Pati July 10, 2011 at 15:00 #

I think this look is absolutely amazing! And she styled it perfectly!!!! Love everything about it! I kind of agree with you that it might be slightly inappropriate for the event, but then again she didn´t show her crotch or anything offensive, just a little bit of her stomach… I don´t know.. Have mixed feelings on this one too…

10. Jones19 July 10, 2011 at 15:01 #

I have mixed feelings too, she looks downright divalicious but this is too inappropriate for the event. Why couldn’t she wear this to a movie premiere?

11. carolina July 10, 2011 at 15:04 #

i so agree with you. it’s inappropiate for the BAFTA’S. would look fab for grammy’s though

12. Nikki July 10, 2011 at 15:14 #

Tacky. The first word I thought of when I saw the photo of JLo in this gown.

13. Maggie July 10, 2011 at 15:16 #

I think the majority of you need to get off your high horses, this divalisciousness is what J-Lo does best and consistently. It’s absurd that anyone thinks she should alter her personal style just because Kate Middleton and William were in attendance at an industry event…personally I can’t fathom the blind reverence given here and elsewhere to two figureheads of an archaic institution when people with proper talent and long established careers were there – Tom Hanks, Barbra Sreisand,etc.

I understand the heightened attention with the couple after the wedding and with people admiring her fashion – although it is arguably too luke-warm and safe to warrant much more attention – but to expect talented professionals to moderate themselves just because they are in their presence in ludicrous.

Some perspective people.

• Fashion Critic July 10, 2011 at 15:22 #

There’s a time and a place…I repeat there is a there’s a time and a place

If she can dress like this http://www.redcarpet-fashionawards.com/2011/01/17/jennifer-lopez-in-zuhair-murad-2011-golden-globe-awards/ at the Golden Globes, she knows better.

She chose to make herself the center of attention…so whilst you make several good points, she exposed herself as having absolutely no class.

• JacobGH July 10, 2011 at 16:16 #

+ 1

• rebecca o July 10, 2011 at 17:18 #

I don’t understand the royal worshiping either, but I agree with FC that there is a time and a place. This dress would have been perfect for the Grammys. An event honoring up and coming brit actors just calls for something more subtle.

• Laura's Opinion July 10, 2011 at 17:21 #

Do you know what Protocol means? There are codes and conducts and eve, Diva JLO has to abide by them. I went to a wedding in New Dehli, India. There is a certain way you dress to an Indian wedding.. Flesh all hanging out is not one of them. Respect the protocol. Get it? Clearly you don’t!

She has no class. As I have said, Ash Rai would never do such a thing.

• anamika July 10, 2011 at 21:32 #

• Jazz July 10, 2011 at 22:12 #

I agree that aishwarya rai is the epitome of class of elegance. she ALWAYS knows which look is event-appropriate.

• Laura's Opinion July 10, 2011 at 17:23 #

P diddy is know for his bling bling, but if he was meeting Royalty, he would put on his best Tom Ford suit. It does not matter what you are known, you still have to follow the protocol on how to dress and behave at these events.

• Linda July 10, 2011 at 20:19 #

Following protocol is a way we show respect for others. The monarchy is an age old institution that means a great deal to many people and dressing appropriately for such occasions is fitting.

• Emi July 10, 2011 at 20:30 #

I’m not a fan of JLo but I totally agree with you, Maggie. Thanks God in my country, which has lots of problems anyway, monarchy was abrogated. Honestly, if I met them I wouldn’t even bow.

• Jazz July 10, 2011 at 22:17 #

completely agree with you Maggie. royalty is RIDICULOUS.

14. Laura July 10, 2011 at 15:18 #

This is where her classless Bronx upbringing comes into to play. Her ghetto ‘ fab ‘ comes out. You so not meet world leaders and royalty of this magnitude dressed like this. She looked ghetto. This proves how unrefined and uncultured she is.

• Maggie July 10, 2011 at 15:49 #

Wow, this is such a classist, prejudiced and disgusting response. The Bronx obviously possesses a lot more class than you appear to.

• Laura July 10, 2011 at 16:27 #

Whenever I say the word ‘ Ghetto ‘ People scream abuse at me. Wonder why? Ghetto is a word, after all.

• Maggie July 10, 2011 at 16:58 #

I don’t dispute that it is, in fact, a word. I was referring to your blind prejudice against the Bronx in your statement, and the ‘classless’ upbringing she had there. Maybe I’m mistaken and you’re a qualified commentor on J-Lo’s childhood and upbringing. Or maybe you’re just a narrow-minded, over-opinionated snob.
          Your statement seemed a tad ‘unrefined and uncultured’ if I dare steal a quotation.

• Dylan July 10, 2011 at 17:14 #

I am more inclined to agree with Laura than I am Maggie. The fact is Laura is right. Perhaps, if you would get off your high horse Maggie, you would realize the reality of the situation which is JLo clearly wanted to be the center of attention and she achieved that easily. She may be a diva but not all divas are classless, in this case, JLo is. There is a time and place to wear a gown like this. She knows how to dress like a lady since she has done so before. JLo chose all on her own to showcase herself as Jenny from the block rather than as a lady.

• chi July 10, 2011 at 18:38 #

Did you guys ever consider that some people could care less about the british “royalty.
      ‘sorry to say but thesame God that created them created me so I don’t get why other humans worship or accord them the reverence that they get. We are in the 21st century there is no need that a family that destroyed/pillaged families, countries and continents (Africa) should be given special treatment IMHO. I sure as hell will not be modifying my dress code to an event because a “royal”: will be in attendance.

• denise July 10, 2011 at 19:50 #

sorry, but you cannot comment on class while making hasty and offensive generalizations about an entire group of people from one area. Try again.

15. Andrew Mackinnon July 10, 2011 at 15:19 #

Just out of interest, which was your favourite look of this season?

16. Naomi July 10, 2011 at 15:21 #

Funny, that’s exactly what I thought when I saw her –
    Nice abs, JLo, bur seriously…?

17. Francesca July 10, 2011 at 15:31 #

I agree with all you said, but it doesn’t make love this look any less than I do right now! I think she looks amazing. My BDOTW (even though she’s probably not going to be included :D)

18. Femme July 10, 2011 at 15:31 #

yeah, very diva and such a Jlo look, but I agree with everyone else: it’s not appropriate to wear a skin tight and midrif revealing(!) dress to this event

19. Leti July 10, 2011 at 15:48 #

FC, I thought the same thing when I saw the pics last night. As you noted above, she is entirely capable of dressing with more class than this, so choosing this dress for this event was not about “being true to her style,” it was about being tacky.

20. Danika July 10, 2011 at 16:00 #

Well it is more appropriate by far than the outfit Naomi Campbell wore to the Monaco Royal Wedding celebrations!

21. Bridget July 10, 2011 at 16:08 #

Amen FC! I about died when I saw her dressed like this. Everyone else got the memo except J.Lo that you don’t have T & A hanging out at an event in which the future King and Queen of England are attending!!

22. Lisa July 10, 2011 at 16:11 #

i’m really sad about this.. she looks AMAZING and the dress itself is to die for but because it’s completely event inappropriate, she comes off as tacky and tasteless.

and i thoroughly disagree with those who say she was being true to her style. jlo is not a one-trick pony who only does diva-sexy looks. She does diva-classy too. we’ve seen it countless times. and if sexbomb blake lively could put the boobs and legs away (while stille managing to shine), jlo couldve done it too.

23. Laura July 10, 2011 at 16:28 #

You can take the girl out the bronx……………….

• Courteney July 10, 2011 at 17:17 #

But you can’t take the Bronx out of the girl!

Preach it FC! You’re spot on right!

24. alannah July 10, 2011 at 16:31 #

i didnt even think of this being in appropriate for the event until you stated that & i have to say i agree. i think she looks amazing but yes not right for this. my other issue is – isnt it meant to be the middle of summer in america?? why on earth would you wear a long sleeved dress? i struggle to wear a tee in summer let alone something like this. i hate it when celebs dont dress season appropriate!

25. Laura's Opinion July 10, 2011 at 16:46 #

I cannot wait for the royal couple to go to Asia. At least we will not be let down from our friends out east.

• Linda July 10, 2011 at 20:11 #

Well, that’s true because any time I’ve seen events from Asia covered here the women look fantasic and sophisticated.

26. Incroyable July 10, 2011 at 16:47 #

I thought of trashy the minute I saw the picture, and I stand by my initial thought.

27. justme July 10, 2011 at 16:50 #

Jennifer rarely does classy imo.

• anamika July 10, 2011 at 21:37 #

i think class is inner.

28. Marybeth July 10, 2011 at 17:06 #

Wrong event.
    Wrong season for long-sleeved jewel tones.
    And wrong size: the dress on the model has a beautiful drape, whilst JLo’s is horribly stretched at the seams. I don’t mind her tightening the skirt line to show off her curves, but this is just bad tailoring.

Pity. I LOVE the color on her.

29. Vidhya July 10, 2011 at 17:09 #

cutouts.. really??? esp in an event where the rest wore such stunning gowns.. class up J Lo.. maybe we shud be thankful she didnt put on her sex face.. :D

• Linda July 10, 2011 at 20:13 #

LOL at sex face!

30. Laura's Opinion July 10, 2011 at 18:03 #

Just done a sweeping read of all the other comments from all the other showbiz blogs, etc. The jury is in! JLO was complete tacky and the protocol was not taking into account.

31. mol July 10, 2011 at 18:12 #

Well, she got lots of attention, which is what she likes, but perhaps not the kind she wants……I agree with the majority, right dress in the wrong place!

32. AJoanna July 10, 2011 at 18:17 #

Jennifer Lopez is a beautiful woman. Unfortunately, she has forgotten the meaning of the word “appropriate”. She has also apparently forgotten what size she is. This dress would have been stunning if she had gone up two sizes and modified it to cover her stomach.
    As it is now, she makes this beautiful dress look incredibly cheap.

33. Cassiie July 10, 2011 at 18:32 #

I have to agree that this dress, while it looks amazing on her, is a wrong choice to wear to this kind of event. She should know better.

34. Hisadora July 10, 2011 at 19:18 #

Yeah, it really seems a little inappropriate.. but she looks fabulous, we can’t deny it.

35. denise July 10, 2011 at 19:54 #

I don’t get the whole ‘classless’ talk. OK, maybe I do but if there was a dress code (for an industry event not even one that was hosted for Kate and William) I would believe Jennifer would have followed it. The dress would actually have been better suited for the VMAs or Grammys but let’s face it, she wasn’t attending to see the “royals” but attending a general industry event honoring totally different people. I guess I too will not understand the royal worshipping especially in a country where the idea of royals doesn’t exist. Breathe people; breathe.

36. Emi July 10, 2011 at 20:18 #

As usual she wears a dress which is too tight. She looks quite tacky as usual (I’m not a fan of her), I think she desperately tries to upstage anybody, but I also think that in US they don’t care about William and his wife… they’re considered celebrities and they’re very famous because they recently got married, nothing else. I also think that a dress code wouldn’t have been fair for the others attending the event.

37. Leah July 10, 2011 at 20:29 #

JLO looks stunning. It was a BAFTA one to watch event. They are not our royalty. They are young and the duke and duchess of some county. I think JLO showed her personality–which is what fashion is supposed to do, and Kate did her best under the confines of her title. BUT AGAIN, THEY ARE NOT OUR MONARCHY.

38. Rebel July 10, 2011 at 20:48 #

I mean people seriously? It’s slit in a dress that shows the side of her stomach. Her ass isn’t hanging from a skirt or tits out in full view. She’s not even showing belly button. It’s going on 2012 & she’s a grown woman who I’m sure could care less about what is being said. I guarantee you Kate was in awe of J.Lo’s look & wished she could put that dress on.

39. Vee July 10, 2011 at 21:29 #

She likely doesn’t care. And I don’t see why she would. What are Katy and Will ever really going to do for her? Likely nothing. She dressed in what made her comfortable. I am sure if she were at an event AT the royal palace–it might have been different. She’s in LA-in America–on her turf.

She looks amazing.

Now that is a butt that should have followers :)

40. Jazz July 10, 2011 at 22:15 #

I agree with some of the comments above. WHO CARES that they are royalty! I don’t understand why here in America they are given this kind of attention and admiration. For what exactly? who are these royals except leeches of British Taxpayer money? Monarchy is so archaic and senseless in today’s modern world.
    that said, J-Lo should’ve dressed more appropriately for the TYPE of event in general (not to honor the prissy Kate’s dresscode) although she does look gorgeous

41. CreoleLady July 11, 2011 at 01:39 #

Laura and Laura’s Opinion have at least eight comments on this post. I stopped counting out of boredom. Apparently people in India and Asia are the only people who understand protocol. And apparently, Latinas from the Bronx and African-Americans who attend the BET Awards are ghetto. Curious. If that’s just a word, I do not recall Laura using it to describe other ethnicities in other fashion contexts. Or perhaps it is not the same Laura. But I digress.

I’m with Maggie. This is an industry event, not an official state visit or an Indian wedding. I make an assessment of appropriateness based on that and not just because Kate and Wills are in attendance.

42. pam July 11, 2011 at 02:51 #

I would be alright with this dress if it wasn’t so tight. The one on the model doesn’t look tacky because it fits.

43. karen July 11, 2011 at 07:49 #

Why is everyone so harsh? I think Jennifer looks great. This event was held in HOLLYWOOD people. Yes I know William and Kate were present but maybe they are so used to the usual black tie gala. Maybe they want to see a little Hollywood flash.

44. rebecca July 11, 2011 at 18:19 #

http://cocoperez.com/2011-07-11-jennifer-lopez-shows-off-her-midriff-at-bafta-gala FC please take a minute to see what he wrote. Or should I just say what you wrote, he basically ripped you off. I am so tired of people like Perez and Magazines, and Tabloids who obviously do not know anything about fashion steal ideas that you bloggers have and getting away with it.

45. Fashion Critic July 11, 2011 at 18:40 #

Hi Rebecca,

Unfortunately it happens all the time.

Coco Perez, The Telegraph, Grazia and the Daily Mail are the worst offenders.

Like you say, they obviously know little about fashion.

Which makes you wonder why they have their job and why I tried for 5 years to get into the industry and failed because I wasn’t “qualified” or because I didn’t go to the right Yuppie school.

Big eye-roll to lazy journalism

46. K July 11, 2011 at 19:07 #

What was she thinking????

47. dee July 11, 2011 at 19:45 #

This looks awful on her. It flattens out breasts and one breast looks lower than the other. It is too tight and too much skin showing.

48. mochababe73 July 11, 2011 at 23:06 #

I could honestly care less about the fact that Royalty was there. This was not a gala in their honor, and that seems to have been lost on some. It wasn’t even a royal gala.
    I love the dress. I love J. Lo in the dress. And, I see nothing wrong with what she wore to this even.
    In all honesty, Zooey Descahnel (and EVERYBODY else) upstaged the boring Duchess of Cambridge, and she was really dressed casual.

49. Millie July 12, 2011 at 15:21 #

I agree TACKY, TACKY, TACKY — I bet you’ll never be invited to a royal event — I always thought she would be a little more classy. I am very disappointed. Marc, where were you when she was getting dressed!

50. Prat July 12, 2011 at 16:13 #

i feel embarrassed for her. i hope she feels the same way and learns… sorry…. worst dressed of the evening for me… and sad really, she’s Jlo… who usually does well!

51. Mimi July 13, 2011 at 01:03 #

She’s so tacky. She just wanted to have a photo op with royalty. What an ego this woman must have.

52. Aldana July 13, 2011 at 01:18 #

I’m soooo agree with you Nikki, this is tacky…. the only word that suits her in this case

53. Eling,zheng May 19, 2012 at 08:41 #

I think she looks great !