10.07.11

DeJa Vu Award
When I saw Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge arrive on the red carpet at the BAFTA Brits To Watch Event, which was held at the Belasco Theatre in LA yesterday evening, I instantly had a touch of deja vu.

Catherine’s Alexander McQueen gown instantly reminded me of the Georges Hobeika gown Fan Bing Bing had worn earlier this year.

Mostly because of the colour, the pleats and the waistband.

The Duchess teamed her McQueen gown with a silver Jimmy Choo Vamp glitter-finish sandals and a Jimmy Choo clutch, proving she does have a wider choice of accessories in her suitcase.

Catherine looks beautiful, but I’m still waiting for her to wow me during this tour.

Credit: Getty

Cheryl Cole In Stella McCartney - The X Factor Newcastle Auditions

Cheryl Cole In Stella McCartney – The X Factor Newcastle Auditions

Blake Lively In Marchesa - BAFTA Brits To Watch Event

Blake Lively In Marchesa – BAFTA Brits To Watch Event

55 Responses to Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Alexander McQueen – BAFTA Brits To Watch Event

1. Moxie July 10, 2011 at 15:10 #

She looks lovely, but she was upstaged by many of the Hollywood starlets that attended.

2. Alina July 10, 2011 at 15:14 #

I knew the dress seemed familiar but I just couldn’t remember.

You’re a genius,FC!

• Fashion Critic July 10, 2011 at 15:18 #

Merci x

3. Laura July 10, 2011 at 15:15 #

In am happy that Prince William has found happiness, and love this couple. However, I am still not wowed by Catherine myself. Her style moment has not yet happened. Even her sister is wowing me much more. I love the dress ( better on Queen of Asian style, Fan Bing Bing ) The shoes are great, but still not quite there. She needs a top tier stylist to help seal the deal.

She has the ultimate status, looks, body and funds. She should be blowing away half of Hollywood, but she is not. The most dazzling women are : Fan Bing Bing, Eugenia Silva, Zoe Saldana Diana Kruger, and Iman. They always wow.

• couturecoco July 10, 2011 at 15:43 #

I feel Catherine has always had a very classic style of her own even from her uni days where she met her Prince. Maybe she doesn’t feel the need to use her status and looks to acquire a stylist nor a wardrobe full of the kind of designer clothes featured in this blog. Her going away outfit was a High Street Zara dress the day she became a Duchess and future Queen of England which points to saying she’s going to dress to please herself and her Prince like she always has.

Evidently she’s grown in confidence in her sartorial choices. OK, she hasn’t wowed so far but I’d rather her unshakeable good taste than her trying to wow us everytime she makes an appearance. I don’t think she needs to accept that challenge thrust upon her. She’s not performing any solo Royal duties and they both live quietly, without any servants we’re told, close to his work so they are essentially a private couple trying to live their married life as normally as possible given their position. There’s time enough for her to truly shine in the years to come.

4. Amy July 10, 2011 at 15:17 #

It’s nice but there is nothing McQueen looking about this dress.

• Verena July 10, 2011 at 17:21 #

That’s what I think whenever she wears McQueen. Has anything she’s ever worn by the label looked like McQueen?

A part of me thinks: Good on Sarah for supplying her client with exactly what she wants and getting the attention on top of it. The other part thinks: What’s the point of wearing McQueen when you obviously don’t like the McQueen aesthetic itself? And yes, I’m aware that McQueen also stands for craftsmanship etc but there’s undeniably a certain look that’s associated with them, too.

• mikeijames July 10, 2011 at 19:07 #

more importantly, since his death, mcqueen has come to embody british fashion in a way. it’s sartorial shorthand to wear mcqueen to signal not only the importance of fashion but of london as a fashion capitol.

• Megan July 10, 2011 at 19:30 #

I agree this does not look at all like a dramatic outstanding McQueen creation at all.Kate is not a McQueen kind of girl and I feel it should be said it is a Sarah burton design because I feel McQueen has a certain style legacy.

5. Ines July 10, 2011 at 15:17 #

Indeed she was. You should see Jennifer Garner. Her gown is nothing special but she looks amazing. It’s pretty sad, she should have gone all the way and show the big guns instead we got plain old Catherine. She needs a stylist, she really does.

6. Elaine2 July 10, 2011 at 15:18 #

I liked this dress, even though it was pastel. The texture of the fabric, the cinched waist and the glitzy belt, and the flowy skirt. I guess I also liked that it wasn’t too revealing because that seems to be the status quo on red carpets these days.

Still trying to figure out how she wears such high heels all the time. My feet would be screaming. Love the Jimmy Choo shoes and bag, very nice! The diamond jewelry is fabulous too.

Still though, for a glitzy event like this was, her beaded Jenny Packham dress from a month ago was much more stunning than this gown. I have to say that I expected something even better this time – so overall it didn’t “Wow” me, either.

7. Anna July 10, 2011 at 15:22 #

She looks boring and matronly. I understand she’s not supposed to wear the most daring outfit in the world but I’m sure she could manage to be classy and chic without being so uninteresting. I also think an updo wouldn’t kill her either, I’m really tired of her never-changing hairstyle.

8. Talita July 10, 2011 at 15:31 #

Her petit frame gets lost in the dress.

• Leti July 10, 2011 at 16:51 #

Agreed. This cut in particular, which echoes the cut of the dress the wore to the polo event yesterday, is not even particularly flattering for her.

9. alex July 10, 2011 at 15:41 #

stunning in my opinion. love it!

• anamika July 10, 2011 at 18:23 #

10. robbie July 10, 2011 at 15:46 #

she looks fantastic, so glad she has finally got a new pair of shoes.

11. nicky July 10, 2011 at 15:48 #

I think she looks beautiful, just like a princess. She’s still learning how to dress herself so I don’t expect much.

12. Leslie July 10, 2011 at 15:55 #

I wish she would gain a few pounds, she frequently looks gaunt or lost in her choices. I understand the lack of cleavage, but I don’t think a somewhat lower neckline would traumatize the world, it’s not like she’ll be spilling out any time soon!

13. Alex July 10, 2011 at 16:04 #

I love this dress, she looks beautiful, yet I’m still not totally blown away. But from those pictures it looks that she finally tone down her make-up, lol.

14. JacobGH July 10, 2011 at 16:14 #

It’s hard for me to get behind any look of hers because her hair and makeup is always SO pedestrian!

15. Zuzu July 10, 2011 at 16:14 #

‘m so sorry, Catherine.. what every single outfit you have wear in this Tour makes me sleepy. I know your sort of not allow to wear everything, but you always look 10 years older. Do you have something in your shoulder? Is there a royal rule that you can’t show them, or what? Every single out fit is the same story, just in different colours, lengths and from different designers… You always look clean and polish, BUT THAT’S IT!
    I have to say, this one is the most DISAPPOINTING OF THEM ALL… After your wedding gown, I was expecting a little to much from you, I guess.

16. bonnie July 10, 2011 at 16:22 #

i don’t think it is the duchess’ job to ‘wow’ u with her fashions.. if u don’t like what she wears, how ’bout u just keep it to yourself

• Fashion Critic July 10, 2011 at 16:33 #

That was quite unnecessary.

At the end of the day this blog is about sharing opinions, if you don’t agree with them then don’t read them.

Telling people to keep their opinion to themselves just because you don’t agree is just narrow minded and rude.

• Camille July 10, 2011 at 17:25 #

I agree FC. I’ve started to notice some people directing some really rude comments to you lately. I’m not sure if these people are new to the site but they need to get it together quickly. :) What I love about this website is that you can not only read FC’s opinion but post your own. Once again I love your website and hope you don’t take any of these comments to heart :)

• Fashion Critic July 10, 2011 at 17:34 #

Yes, I’m not sure why this happening recently.

It always been a respectful community.

The strangest thing is these rude comments are mostly on Catherine’s posts.

Shame her fans don’t have her grace and manners

• Laura's Opinion July 10, 2011 at 18:09 #

Staunch Royalist do not like to see a bad word said about their chose one.

• mol July 10, 2011 at 18:22 #

I’ve noticed that too Camille – I hope it goes away soon (the rude comments). I too have always loved the fact that we all give our opinions, and in a weird way, the fact that so many of us feel so differently gives me confidence – I can see that in fashion there is not just one way, one opinion, but rather many ways (I like this color, you hate it and so on). I like hearing everyone’s thoughts provided the respect is there….

• Megan July 10, 2011 at 19:38 #

Yes I hope that you do not take these to heart aswell as india jewel.People can be so downright rude and one thing I love about this site is that people express opinion usually in a respective manner unlike many other sites which have just disgusting comments and users seem to have a genuine interest in fashion.Love this site FC.

• Lisa July 10, 2011 at 19:55 #

completely agree with you camille

i love reading your opinions FC and i love that we all get to put our own 2 cents in. your critiquing is always done in a very respectful manner and you always stick to commenting on fashion without getting caught up in the all the celebrity gossip / weight comments / plastic surgery rumors

so don’t let the rude, closed-minded commenters get to you :)

17. CreoleLady July 10, 2011 at 16:24 #

I adore this. Her hair is her crowning glory, the color is gorgeous and the dress is as airy as a cloud, drape and fit giving her a nipped in waist. California dreamin’.

I think this tour has been a sartorial success so far, from a diplomatic and public relations perspective. The time for jewels and a less conservative fashion approach is not necessarily now but hopefully will come. Although a little boring fashionwise, I think she hit all the right notes. Well done imo.

18. Incroyable July 10, 2011 at 16:48 #

She looks beautiful, as usual.

19. moja31 July 10, 2011 at 16:55 #

she looks perfectly pretty (she always does), but that’s all. oh and kudos on some different/ more interesting accessory choices this time around.

i kind of hate to say it, but she’s almost ruining the McQueen brand for me, she somehow manages to take the McQueen out of all the McQueen looks she wears. I can’t quite put my finger on it, but they seem to lose their spark on her; the way things do when it feels like someone is wearing a brand simply because of the cache, rather than because it’s truly their style/ they can really work it. the house of McQueen can’t exactly say no to her, but it almost feels like they ought to. I don’t know, she still looks perfectly pretty though.

• couturecoco July 10, 2011 at 17:12 #

I completely get where you’re coming from. But by the same token, the fact that she’s wearing styles and designs that are typical McQueen per se, it’s opening up the brand to others who would not have considered it before?
      I think all major brands are like this. Not everyone who wears Chanel runs around in her box jacket and 2.55 bag all the time?

20. Camille July 10, 2011 at 17:29 #

This looks exactly like the Jenny Packham dress she wore minus the embellishments. I think this dress is ridiculously boring and hate that she’s making me dislike, and not recognize, Alexander McQueen.

21. Jess July 10, 2011 at 17:38 #

I’m not sure whether she plays it safe on purpose due to her role, or whether she is actually just this boring? Not everyone has to enjoy fashion as much as we do, but she has access to great brands and yet is so bland. She’s a beautiful, slender, young woman, wear fabulous things whilst you can!

22. lilili July 10, 2011 at 18:03 #

exactly what i am waiting for.. The WOW!
    But it stilll has not come

23. AJoanna July 10, 2011 at 18:09 #

I love the cut and style of this dress. It is extremely flattering. I just wish it was another color. Maybe a blue, green, or red. Anything, actually, but boring beige/light silver.
    I feel like she took one of her standard beige dresses that she is so fond of wearing and had someone make a full length gown out of it.
    She does, however, look classy and appropriate– something Michelle Obama has yet to fully master.

24. Hannah July 10, 2011 at 18:27 #

I really dislike the clutch and this would have been a great time for a new hairstyle. Oh well.

25. NH July 10, 2011 at 18:50 #

ME TOO FC… I AM WAITING FOR HER TO WOW ME SO BADLY!!! LOL
    why couldnt she wear blake lively merchasa dress, she would have look llike REAL princess…that dress is gorgous…
    i really want her to wear an elie saab dress :P

I LOVE YOUR BLOG!!!! its better than fashion magazines, now i dont even have to buy them cause your blog is SO much better:)

keep up the awesome work!!!

• Fashion Critic July 10, 2011 at 19:02 #

Thanks NH.

I haven’t purchased a magazine in a long while either. The information is so out of date by the time you buy them.

26. Lee Ann July 10, 2011 at 18:56 #

I keep hoping……. In vain.

27. Lee Ann July 10, 2011 at 19:17 #

what i don’t understand is why does she insist on wearing dresses that make her shoulders look very wide-she looks like a linebaker on an American football team. it is not elegant.
    why does she also wear pale diluted colours that suit blondes?the best she ever has looked was the day of her engagement. she needs jewel colours.
    I find her gauche

28. Maddie July 10, 2011 at 20:00 #

It’s nice to see you’re calling her Catherine rather than Kate FC. The Daily Mail is doing that and it’s very irritating.
    The Duchess is nearly there, she’s ditched the pumps and gone for sandals.

29. Emi July 10, 2011 at 20:03 #

I think she looks great really, but honestly I also think she doesn’t have a “wow” factor, never had. It happens, there’re few people which have this kind of gift. I also think that all these people attacking others because of some comment about Kate are ridiculous. Who are you, relatives of her? Come on people, relax…

30. Jazz July 10, 2011 at 22:08 #

I wonder if she’s instructed to dress really dowdy?, she does always look put together but I would’ve appreciated the gorgeous factor from the Jenny Packman dress appearance. I liked Fan Bing Bing’s version of the lavender alot more. Everytime I see people going on about how fab Catherine looks, I am so mystified.

31. Rahel July 10, 2011 at 22:08 #

I understand why she wears her slightly boring (conservative) clothes at day events. But for the red carpet she could have opted for something more beautiful.

32. roxana July 11, 2011 at 07:14 #

lovely as always

33. Shopgirl July 11, 2011 at 07:16 #

I love her look the color fit her .. I love the fact that she isn’t trying 2 hard she always look simple and class LOVE it ;)

34. TeaAtTwo July 11, 2011 at 18:19 #

Dear FC,
    I would love to know how you’d have dressed Catherine for her North American tour?

35. K July 11, 2011 at 19:01 #

She looks beautiful and classy. And not Hollywood-fied. Which is a massive compliment.

The girl doesn’t need to worry about being upstaged by anyone. She’s married to a prince. No one in Hollywood with a fancy dress and a stylist can top it. With her understated elegance, imo, she made a lot of the others look silly and slightly desperate (JLo, Blake, Bello, etc.).

36. mochababe73 July 11, 2011 at 23:01 #

I find Catherine’s style to be dull, unexciting, and boring. She’s too young to dress so matronly.
    Personally, I have grown tired of the comparisons to Princess Diana. For me, Lady Diana was alot more fashion forward than Catherine.
    Also, I just don’t find anything that she wears McQueen to be McQueen-ish. I have a feeling that the label should probably just say The Duchess Collection by Sarah Burton.

• Elaine2 July 18, 2011 at 02:18 #

You got that right! Her style is really boring. This dress was a real letdown. Her entire wardrobe on this trip was a bust, I thought.

Before her next trip hopefully she’ll back off on her obsessive exercising and put on about 15 pounds. She really is not providing a good role model to young women. On that note, maybe she’ll actually DO something besides shop, get her teeth bleached, and play with her hair all the time. That hair gets in the way of the diamond brooches…….LOL

37. Aldana July 13, 2011 at 00:52 #

I love her!!!! I think she’s perfect.