Thanks to Voguette – who recalled that Sarah Jessica Parker wore the same Alexander McQueen cable knit dress as Catherine back in 2006 – we have our first WWIB poll featuring the Duchess.

No one else has spotted this yet, but I bet when I wake up it will be everywhere.

SJP wore the dress when she supported her husband Matthew Broderick, whilst he was honoured with a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

The ‘Sex And The City’ actress opted for the navy version of this Alexander McQueen dress, which she paired with red hot heels.

Cut to today and the Duchess wore the white version with navy Prada pumps.

I’m surprised that Catherine didn’t opt for the navy version, as navy appears to be her favourite colour.

SJP wins for me.

I just love how the red suede pom pom accented peep-toes takes this look away from being a stereotypical nautical look, plus you know how I love a pop of colour.

Click on the picture above to see more images including a close up of SJP sexy red pumps.

Credit: Zuma Press & Getty

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Alexander McQueen - Charlottetown Visit

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Alexander McQueen – Charlottetown Visit

Olivia Palermo In Topshop - Front Row @ Giambattista Valli Couture

Olivia Palermo In Topshop – Front Row @ Giambattista Valli Couture

36 Responses to Who Wore Alexander McQueen Better? Sarah Jessica Parker or Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge

1. Snarky_Sharky July 4, 2011 at 23:37 #

You’re def. right. While I don’t like these particular red shoes, I think that SJP looks playful and coquettish while Kate looks like a fancy school teacher – the boring kind.

2. Gemma July 4, 2011 at 23:39 #

Sarah Sarah Sarah…by a mile!!!!!!

3. Marvel July 4, 2011 at 23:48 #

I gurantee you FC, that tomorrow on the Daily Mail (and other sites) realising that she wasnt the first to wear the dress and will be taking credit for it. When it should actually be you and Voguette.

Sarah wins for me

• Fashion Critic July 4, 2011 at 23:53 #

Plus Grazia, Look, Heat and many other like you say.

The Daily Mail is always the worst offender.

• Marvel July 5, 2011 at 00:30 #

Yes they are. They are probably gonna say that SJP looks like a horse and that the shoes match etc.. Anything to make Kate win (when SJP is the clear winner)

• Fashion Critic July 5, 2011 at 00:43 #

you are so right

• anamika July 5, 2011 at 10:45 #

But SJP looks like one nuh :-)
          Kate is beauty :-)

• robbie July 5, 2011 at 05:01 #

It is hilarous as the Daily Mail made a article about Catherine in this dress, they said it was one of Sarah Burtons designs so they clearly need to hire new fashion reporters.

• Fashion Critic July 5, 2011 at 06:09 #

They haven’t got a clue. I would be surprised if they ever heard of Style.com

4. LuLu July 4, 2011 at 23:56 #

SJP wins. Kate looks old as hell.

5. Sandie July 5, 2011 at 00:11 #

I find it hard to believe that this is an Alexander McQueen design. I don’t know. Something doesn’t fit.
    The decision was difficult for me. I voted Kate.

6. Jen July 5, 2011 at 00:30 #

you could also do WWIB between the duchess and herself when she repeats a dress, but accessorizes differently ;)

• Fashion Critic July 5, 2011 at 00:39 #

that would be painful as she repeats so often

7. Elaine July 5, 2011 at 00:54 #

Personally, I prefer the SJP version (sans the red shoes….). The design of the dress is pretty timeless though, IMO, and it’s fun to see how this played out over a five year time period! Awesome fashion sleuthing!

8. Jennifer July 5, 2011 at 00:57 #

The salmon pussybow Stella McCartney dress that Kate wore after Madonna could spark another poll!!

9. Vee July 5, 2011 at 01:16 #

see when people say they want Kate to look playful they don’t mean skanky or outrageous. an interesting shoe is satisfying enough! SJP wins. surprisingly SJP looks more youthful!

10. Sharon July 5, 2011 at 03:51 #

I really like the dress and they both wear it well, but for me, SJP’s shoes are hard to beat.

11. robbie July 5, 2011 at 05:03 #

this is really very hard because both look good in it. if i had to choose though i would personally go for the white version myself but SJP just looks a knock out in that dress though.

i pray that SJP will go back to brunette it looks so much better on her.

12. Anna July 5, 2011 at 05:11 #

SJP by a mile. She has this way of “merchandising” (Carrie Bradshaw used this in SATC, the movie) her outfits such that they look amazing! Kate looks good, but in a boring, matchy-matchy sorta way.

13. Arl July 5, 2011 at 05:19 #

Hands down, SJP! She has curves, hips, a butt, and cleavage. This is one of Kate’s poorest choices for her stick-like body. It just droops and looks saggy. The hemline droops in back because she has no bum. I think this gal is very pretty, but if she prefers a stick-thin, two-dimensional body, she should wear clothes with more depth and volume.

14. kiwi July 5, 2011 at 06:11 #

I actually voted Kate since I hate SJP’s pom pom shoes :(, any other red shoe would have made her win.I just hate pom poms.. Does Kate ever wear sandals?

15. Marybeth July 5, 2011 at 06:14 #

Sorry, but I have to vote for Catherine. I’m not crazy about the dress in either color, but the white version is less drab.

(Love SJP’s shoes. Too bad she didn’t pick a dress, navy or otherwise, that would actually work with them.)

16. Emi July 5, 2011 at 07:01 #

SJP, of course. I prefer the color, plus, even if I’m not a huge fan of her style, she wears dresses and add personality, “The Duchess” is a cute hanger with a smirk.

17. shap_half July 5, 2011 at 08:52 #

How has Kate managed to look older than SJP??

Someone tell Kate Middleton that there is no harm in looking like you’re in your 20s. I realize her style leans a bit towards the conservative, but that doesn’t mean she should work hard at aging herself.

Lela Rose might be a good designer for her: feminine, subtle but still current and not matronly. I’d like to see her give this a shot:

18. K.A.McCarty July 5, 2011 at 11:37 #

No question…. Duchess Kate wins of course!! British beauty is not about voluptuous & sex… it’s about elegance & class. SJP’s shoes look like cheap bedroom slippers, which spoils the classic dress. Kate is in the middle of an international tour for the first time in her life. SJP might look tired too, if she’d shook hands with THOUSANDS of people in 5 days, with the pressure of the WORLD looking on!! The Duchess looks gorgeous AND classy!!

19. Amy July 5, 2011 at 16:59 #

This is the 2nd time they have both wore the same piece of McQueen in different colours.
    Both wore a coat from the Resort 2011 collection.

20. Guest July 6, 2011 at 04:55 #

I love how she wears McQueen and wore a bridal gown from McQueen’s house.

21. Melissa July 6, 2011 at 06:03 #

Kate for the win! and you were right this comparison is everywhere today, fashionista & CocoPerez are just a few that I saw today…

• Fashion Critic July 6, 2011 at 06:10 #

LOL…I knew it.

I saw it on Marie Claire UK too.

22. Thebaghag July 6, 2011 at 14:55 #

LOL good job! Some publication even labeled this dress as one by Joseph ;)

• Fashion Critic July 6, 2011 at 15:08 #

I don’t know why publications do that. They want to get the information out quickly, but then give out the wrong information. Some said it was Joseph so basically they are sticking to 3 designers if in doubt; Joseph, Erdem and McQueen.

Some of these so called fashion journalists wouldn’t know Style.com if it bit them on the butt. Lazy.

This is why I started my blog.

23. fashionfan July 6, 2011 at 19:07 #

The Daily Mail also has the comparison on their homepage. But we’ll always know you found it first!

• Fashion Critic July 6, 2011 at 19:16 #

LOL… I saw that today too.

I was surprised it took them so long.