04.07.11

Emma Watson For Harper’s Bazaar UK August 2011

Emma Watson graces two covers of the August 2011 issue of Harper’s Bazaar UK.

The magazine is set to hit newsstands on July 7, which is the same day as the “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2″ London Premiere.

Alexi Lubomirski shot the actress looking angelic in YSL and look evil in Emilio Pucci for the “Good girl versus Bad girl shoot.”

In her interview Emma sets the record straight about her decision to leave Brown University. She also talks about fashion and being a good girl growing up.

You can see more of Emma in Harper’s Bazaar here, but here are some extracts from her interview:

On Hollywood life: “LA scares the crap out of me. I feel if I have to work out four hours a day, and count the calories of everything I put in my mouth, and have Botox at 22, and obsess about how I look the whole time, I will go mad, I will absolutely lose it”

On why she chose to study in America rather than attend a UK university: “I felt suddenly very claustrophobic…I thought, ‘I can’t stay here [UK], I won’t be able to concentrate, I won’t be left alone.’”

On rumours she left her American university Brown due to peer pressure: “[Leaving Brown] had nothing to do with bullying, as the media have been suggesting recently. I have never been bullied in my life. Like a lot of other students at Brown, I might spend my third year abroad.”

On the fashion world: “It can be savage and cruel, in that it’s prescriptive – you have to look a certain way and fit a certain mould – but also in the way it’s made. When I went to Bangladesh, to a factory where the clothes are made [for mass market labels], it was horrifying. There is a cost to cheap clothes – if people could see the inhumane way they’re made, they would never in a million years buy them…”

On being the good girl growing up: “There has never been room in my life for that [rebellion] – I couldn’t imagine giving my family any more trouble, it’s already been complicated enough. My dad is one of the top international-communications lawyers in the country, and trying to argue with him was a nightmare, so I learnt quite quickly to be good with words. My mum is an incredible woman. She moved back from Paris with my brother and me after the divorce, and worked full-time, supporting both of us. But I felt I wanted to take care of her – I didn’t want to give her a hard time.”

On hiding her true emotions: “When I was growing up, my family, particularly my father, were very stoic. I learnt that young, very young. Part of me is very resentful of this British mentality that it’s not good to express feelings of any kind – that it’s not proper or brave. But I also appreciate it. There’s another book that I read when I was very young – ‘The Constant Princess’ by Philippa Gregory, about Catherine of Aragon – and I know it sounds silly, but I thought, “I’ve got to be just like her”. She was the first wife of Henry VIII and she survived, having been cruelly divorced. I remember being really inspired by that.”

On playing bad girls: “My acting tutor said the hardest thing for me was to get angry. I almost broke down in tears when they tried to get me to be angry. I said, ‘I can’t do it, I just can’t do it.’ I keep all of that really bottled up somewhere and I feel unleashing it would be the scariest thing – and to let myself be powerful, sexy, all those things, it’s scary for me. [Even playing the bad girl in this shoot] felt a bit uncomfortable and awkward, it didn’t come naturally at all”

Credit: Alexi Lubomirski for Harper’s Bazaar

Cheryl Cole In Stella McCartney - 28th Birthday Party @ The Sanderson Hotel

Cheryl Cole In Stella McCartney – 28th Birthday Party @ The Sanderson Hotel

Nicola Roberts In House of Holland - Cheryl Cole's 28th Birthday Party @ The Sanderson Hotel

Nicola Roberts In House of Holland – Cheryl Cole’s 28th Birthday Party @ The Sanderson Hotel

17 Responses to Emma Watson For Harper’s Bazaar UK August 2011

1. Marvel July 4, 2011 at 17:34 #

I so can not wait for the promotional duties start for Emma in a few days time. Im gonna be bawling like a baby when the movie comes out.

2. Laura July 4, 2011 at 17:36 #

Buying. It will be hard for her to top that amazing American Vogue cover.

3. justme July 4, 2011 at 17:43 #

She’s a sweet girl but this “There is a cost to cheap clothes – if people could see the inhumane way they’re made, they would never in a million years buy them…” made me roll my eyes so hard. Could she sound more privileged? People buy cheap clothes because they don’t have money.

Anyway, I like the editorial minus the pic where she’s sporting the Joan of Arc hair.

• artemis July 4, 2011 at 22:16 #

Agreed!

• RN012 July 4, 2011 at 23:36 #

Well no one can blame her for sounding that way. But hopefully with all the ethical things she’s trying to do in fashion, all the “cheap” clothing lines will follow suit and also adopt some fair trade principles.

• Gabby July 5, 2011 at 01:49 #

That’s not what she’s talking about. She’s saying these big brand names get their clothes made for cheap, but it’s at a high cost.

• justme July 5, 2011 at 07:20 #

They get clothes made for cheap AND they sell them cheap. So they attract people with more restricted budgets.
        I’m all for having ethics, hell I actually share Emma’s. But I’d rather not guilt trip people without knowing their financial situations. That’s all.

• Kath July 5, 2011 at 02:40 #

This might get me a lot of hate but I am by no means wealthy or privileged and I only shop ethically.

You don’t need to be a millionaire or a movie star to do it, just responsible and conscience in your fashion choices.

If I have the choice between buying 3 pairs of shoes that came from a sweatshop, or 1 pair that was ethically made I would always choose the second option.

It is important to remember that the reason some items are so incredibly cheap is because companies cut corners and heavily exploit textile workers – especially in the 3rd world.

Good on Emma for being a positive role model, and shedding light on an issue most choose to conveniently ignore.

4. RN012 July 4, 2011 at 17:49 #

I love it. She looks fierce and beautiful!

5. Paddy M July 4, 2011 at 17:54 #

The shots are pretty, but she doesn’t have a model look. She’s too aware of herself I think, which makes her look like an actress doing some modelling, rather than a model. That’s only to be expected though, seeing as she is an actress!

She comes across very pleased with herself in the interview unfortunately. I’ve always got a bit of an arrogant vibe off Emma in interviews, and this one does nothing to change that.

• Gabby July 4, 2011 at 23:38 #

Really? She came off quite self-conscious to me, but I guess it depends on how you interpret it.

But I do agree that she’s is very self-aware and very self-critical and I think that keeps her from letting lose and just relaxing and looking natural in some photoshoots. Mario Testino does a great job of getting her to chill and stop over analyzing herself.

6. lily July 4, 2011 at 17:56 #

FC, the third one, that’s YSL too?

7. allie July 4, 2011 at 19:52 #

I Love the Versace Dress

8. Mary July 4, 2011 at 21:32 #

In the Emilio Pucci she remainds me of Christina Ricci. Does anyone else see that? (Just saying…)

9. Caitlin July 5, 2011 at 03:25 #

I think she’s a fantastic model.

10. Sharon July 5, 2011 at 04:35 #

What a wonderfully articulate young woman. It’s really refreshing to hear someone her age express herself so well. As for the cheap clothing/inhumane manufacturing, I don’t believe she was belittling those of us who can’t buy designer. I think she was trying to point out a horrible situation that needs to be corrected. I think it was awareness rather than condescension.
    I love the look of the bad girl/Pucci cover. She sure has come a long way from early Hermione.

11. Alina July 5, 2011 at 09:34 #

I love the first photo. The lighting is incredible.