Cheryl Cole In Stella McCartney – 28th Birthday Party @ The Sanderson Hotel

Cheryl Cole came out of hiding following her so called humiliation at the hands of Simon Cowell following her sacking on the US X Factor.

I’m sure the £1.2m pay off for 4 days work is why the Geordie lass was all smiles on her 28th birthday party at The Sanderson Hotel in London last week.

Cheryl opted to wear a Stella McCartney spot-appliquéd tulle dress from the Fall 2011 collection.

Her ivory halter chiffon dress with white disc appliqués was terribly unflattering on Cheryl.

The ethereal nature of this look is totally lost on her as Cheryl makes this Stella McCartney dress look like a Lipsy knock-off; especially as she’s butchered the dress by making it shorter.

Her hair doesn’t help this look much either.

Whilst I like the colour, the asymmetrical faux pob doesn’t work for her.

A white Stella McCartney clutch and gold satin t-bar peep-toes completed her look.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Irina Shayk In Azzedine Alaia - Extra

Irina Shayk In Azzedine Alaia – Extra

Emma Watson For Harper's Bazaar UK August 2011

Emma Watson For Harper’s Bazaar UK August 2011

41 Responses to Cheryl Cole In Stella McCartney – 28th Birthday Party @ The Sanderson Hotel

1. Andreea July 4, 2011 at 17:15 #

Love the dress.

2. eimearoconnor July 4, 2011 at 17:25 #

So true about the lipsy knock off comment…! I didnt even think about that and then looked at it again, and your right she makes it look so cheap with that hair a make up. Cant help but wonder what it would look like had her hair been the nicer darker shade she had and a bit longer.

3. Marvel July 4, 2011 at 17:33 #

I have many issues with this look.
    I do like the dress and whilst I do like that Cheryl something out of her comfort zone, I do think she just about pulls it off
    I do not like the hair. It may take a while for me to warm up to the blonde hair but right now, it looks like a home-job and the ‘faux’ pob, you so rightly put it FC, look terrible. If she wanted to be brave, she should have gone a lot more shorter (e.g. Rihanna in Take a Bow).
    OTT, I cant believe she is thinking of taking Ashley back but if it makes her happy then fair enough.

4. Fernando July 4, 2011 at 17:35 #

The dress itself it’s not ugly, yes it’s unflatrering, but nice enough, the problem for me is the make up, it’s waaay too heavy for her, and that hair, all that combined make her look dirty:S, and way older than she is indeed., i hope she returns to her pre cannes make up.

5. Elaine July 4, 2011 at 17:36 #

I really like the dress on her, I don’t agree that it looks like a cheap lipsy knock off.
    not the biggest fan of her hair though – I think shes much better as a brunette

6. nicky July 4, 2011 at 17:37 #

The hair is really awful and totally ruins the look.

7. Vee July 4, 2011 at 17:42 #

her hair does indeed ruin this look.

8. justme July 4, 2011 at 17:45 #

I don’t mind the shorter version of the dress. But everything else is a disaster from the make-up to the hair.

9. Naama July 4, 2011 at 18:04 #

You sure she made it shorter? Maybe I’m not focused but it doesn’t seem much shorter than on the model, and what makes the look cheap I think is not the length but the horrible hair and the excessive use of bronzer…

• Fashion Critic July 4, 2011 at 18:27 #

Yes. Can’t you see where they have cut around the disc?

• Naama July 4, 2011 at 19:55 #

Ahh I see. Also look a little sloppy there….
        And with what Catriona said, yes, now I definitely see it.

• e July 5, 2011 at 00:30 #

may i ask a question? i always assumed celebrities borrowed dresses from designers for events, and then returned them. if they do alter a dress so radically (horribly!) like this, do you still think they borrow-and-return? or do you think she must have bought it/paid for it, so it’s hers to do what she likes with it and keep? i’d love to know, FC

• Fashion Critic July 5, 2011 at 00:41 #

To be honest I’m not sure.

It differs. I’ve heard stories of celebrities loaned stuff and it has returned shortened.

Some are gifted or they buy it so they do what they want to it.

S

• Catriona July 4, 2011 at 18:50 #

Cheryl is also very petite, probably at least 6 inches shorter than the model.

10. moja31 July 4, 2011 at 18:08 #

hate the new hair; cut, color, everything.

11. sooze July 4, 2011 at 18:08 #

i couldn’t agree more with you!

12. robbie July 4, 2011 at 18:17 #

she always looks as if she has been taking make-up tips from drag queens. the whole look is really bad. but the make-up and that hair just wrong on so many levels.

13. Linda July 4, 2011 at 18:32 #

The makeup is the worst part of this, then the hair, then the dress.

14. shap_half July 4, 2011 at 18:50 #

She has somehow managed to make Stella McCartney’s design look incredibly cheap.

15. Lee Ann July 4, 2011 at 18:56 #

Tragic.

16. Christine July 4, 2011 at 18:58 #

Oh dear, I seem to be the only one who thinks she looked lovely. Oh well. I agree that the cutting around the disks does not improve the dress. She made a great shoe choice!

17. Lisa-kaye July 4, 2011 at 19:11 #

Dress=horrendous, Hair=horrendous.
    When is she going to realise that short dresses do absolutely nothing for her?, her legs are too thick and it makes her look about 2ft tall.
    Same old cheryl, gets it wrong every single time.
    And the hair, well…. lets not even go there, looks like shes done it herself:)

• Elaine July 4, 2011 at 21:00 #

Most the female population can’t afford to wear short dresses if her legs are considered too thick!!!

• Hilary July 5, 2011 at 23:20 #

Agreed! What a silly comment!

• ahot July 6, 2011 at 13:25 #

Truth hurts… . Most do not accentuate their plusses. #it´s the truth.
        In this particular case, the discs in the dress do not help her at all, & she does look buffy. Sorry.
        The original lining was what makes the dress look etheral. By cutting it , she takes away from it beauty.
        I can´t wear some type of dresss & i accepted it long ago. Unexcusable for someone with more than one stylist.

• ahot July 6, 2011 at 13:26 #

*bulky

18. Luci July 4, 2011 at 19:43 #

love the dress, runway version
    Minus the necklace (maybe a bit of a polka dot overkill?)
    Cheryl is gorgeous, I think a more natural make up would suit her a lot!!

19. K. July 4, 2011 at 19:50 #

I do like the accessories she picked. I do not like what she did to the dress. The runway version was absolutely beautiful and there was no need for any alterations. Also, I think the dress would have probably been more flattering in its original length – it looks very light and breezy on the runway model, but stocky and bulky on Cheryl (or maybe that’s just me). I shall not say anything bad about the make up or hair since I had a bad hair day today myself and overslept, which forced me to forego makeup in favour of being at work on time. The bronzer, however, is cheap and tacky. If you want a tan, Cheryl, spend some time out in the sun or a tanning bed, if you must.

20. Emi July 4, 2011 at 20:24 #

Reading all the comments before seeing the photo (very slow connection) I was expecting something really ugly, but this is incredibly ugly. The dress is lovely and delicate and she ruined it in any possible way. I’ve never seen her with hair so terrible like this, the make up is so heavy and tacky, I would say. I agree with Lisa-kaye about her legs. I prefer her as a brunette, because she can’t pull off blonde hair. If I was Stella I wouldn’t be proud of this.

21. samaira July 4, 2011 at 20:48 #

I see this dress on Claire Danes or Naomi Watt… yeah its the hair and makeup, my thumbs aren’t goin up :(

22. Lucía July 4, 2011 at 23:05 #

What happened to her hair!? This is so disappointing, she looks horrible here,

23. Kate July 4, 2011 at 23:14 #

I like it. She really is beautiful- Make up not great, too heavy, but love hair.

• anamika July 5, 2011 at 11:06 #

+1 I like how she looks just how she is.And love her thickness.
      About the make up.
      Some days you do the smokey and heavy blush ….and the classic way is put ligher lipstick…and just because you don’t look nice with the classic lighter lipstick that nite!
      You go for a heavy dark more dramatic lipstick.
      beceause in the mirror a lil voice say “Wow am looking soooo hot”
      This lips stick makes my smile more sexier.
      Dress is all about our own proper humors ….from make-up to parfums….to dresses etc etc
      awwww some girls just wanna have fun!(C.Lauper)

• Kate July 5, 2011 at 11:43 #

Ha! I love your message! So fun and positive, sometimes i think people can take this a lil’ too seiously and be incredibly harsh, and your right theres nothing wrong w/ some thickness!

• ahot July 6, 2011 at 13:34 #

No offense. I don´t think that it´s about having something against thickness. She is a celebrity, so people will judge everything she is wearing. If one is thick, it´s good to learn how to showcase it to it full beauty. It´s not the case here, & frankly, people commenting on this website are not harsh compare to other sites. Trust me.

• Lou July 6, 2011 at 18:46 #

Ha! Sarcastic much?!

24. Sharon July 5, 2011 at 04:41 #

I do like this dress, and I think it could have looked better on Cheryl if her makeup had been toned down and her Lion King hair had been tamed.

25. manja July 5, 2011 at 08:16 #

agree with FC and most,she ruined it in all ways possible.she looks chubby and cheap.

26. Alina July 5, 2011 at 09:29 #

Horrible ! The dress is beautiful but it doesn’t do anything for her body,the makeup is tragic and the hair is….well, I can’t find a word to express how much I hate it.

27. Valeria July 5, 2011 at 10:27 #

What a horrendous cheap-looking makeup! And hair is not for this dress at all. Birthday at Tackiville, sadly

28. Katie July 5, 2011 at 16:37 #

hate poor Cheryls hair…she is so sexy brunette