03.07.11

Princess Charlene of Monaco Weds In Armani Privé

Following a civil ceremony on Friday, Princess Charlene of Monaco looked even more beautiful at the religious ceremony wearing a breath-taking Armani Privé wedding gown.

The off-white silk duchesse off-the-shoulder gown with a long train has a crossover detail on the front and back to form a second train.

Floral embroidery cascades down the front of the gown which is accented with Swarovski crystals and mother of pearl teardrops in white and gold hues.

A long off-white silk tulle veil was delicately placed on top of her chic chignon which had quite a magnificent diamond encrusted floral accent.

Credit: Getty

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Issa - Evening National Canada Day Celebrations

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Issa – Evening National Canada Day Celebrations

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Catherine Walker - Tree Planting Ceremony

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Catherine Walker – Tree Planting Ceremony

41 Responses to Princess Charlene of Monaco Weds In Armani Privé

1. B July 3, 2011 at 08:43 #

PERFECT

• anamika July 3, 2011 at 09:51 #

2. alannah July 3, 2011 at 08:43 #

it is beautiful.. but i feel its ridiculously hard to come up against catherine atm.

• Fashion Critic July 3, 2011 at 08:47 #

I preferred Catherine gown too

• stephie July 3, 2011 at 09:01 #

You can’t compare the two. Kites dress was perfect for her and Charlene’s was perfect for Charlene. Charlene is too broad to have worn Kate’s dress and Kate doesn’t have the poise and frame to where a dress of this magnitude it would have swallowed her.

• anamika July 3, 2011 at 09:52 #

Fc you should deul the two brides :-)

• Emi July 3, 2011 at 09:21 #

I think this is very beautiful, but I saw the ceremony and they kept things quite simple, a dress like Kate’s would have been too much. Her veil and hairstyle were far better than Kate’s, for me, more fresh but really classy.

• molly July 3, 2011 at 18:21 #

But at the same time, we had already seen Kates gown on Grace Kelly. It was pretty, but nothing new. This is the gown that a fashion forward princess should wear.

3. Alina July 3, 2011 at 08:48 #

BREATHTAKING!

BDOTW contender. I love this wedding look even more than Catherine’s.

• Alina July 3, 2011 at 08:56 #

I heard that the head piece was “something borrowed” from Princess Caroline.

• Andreea July 3, 2011 at 09:00 #

The headpiece was beautiful and completed perfectly the look.

4. Andreea July 3, 2011 at 08:56 #

A perfect bride.I think that both Charlene and Kate looked beautiful as brides but i preffer Charlene because she and the dress have more style.

5. justme July 3, 2011 at 09:13 #

I also prefer Charlene’s dress. I’m a sucker for long trains and the whole outfit feels truer to her style.

6. Paddy M July 3, 2011 at 09:46 #

She looks beautiful, but something is missing. She’s not taking my breath away like I’d expect Charlene Wittstock in Armani Prive to. When I saw the title of this post I think I got my hopes up a little too high, though she does look lovely.

7. elena July 3, 2011 at 09:46 #

Perfect dress… she looked so pretty on it!! BDOTW

8. vicky July 3, 2011 at 09:50 #

Comparing Kate and Charlene isn’t doing them any justice, however it was inevitable as they where married so close in time..
    I think both looked breathtaking in their respective gowns, both stayed true to their own style.
    The two events couldn’t be more different. The British was always going to be the more conservative while Monaco’s more glamorous. (However, when you have Victoria Silvstedt on your invitation list it’s borderline glamorous/tacky…)
    My only comment on Charlene’s is that the neckline got me thinking of Crown Princess Victoria’s gown from last years Swedish royal wedding (BTW, the first royal “event” Charlene attended, I think)

On a side note, FC you thought the Canada-tour was going to upstage this wedding, IMO it didn’t. Kate is giving us snooze-fest while Monaco fired up the summer.

• Fashion Critic July 3, 2011 at 10:04 #

You are right Charlene wasn’t upstage. Kate has been so boring

9. Sophie July 3, 2011 at 09:52 #

Naomi Campbell looked fantastic. The bride looked beautiful but not very happy – hope am wrong!

• Fashion Critic July 3, 2011 at 09:55 #

I felt the same. Happy face, sad eyes

• Betty Brandenburg July 3, 2011 at 10:44 #

I agree, both looked deeply unhappy. Very sad.

• artemis July 3, 2011 at 11:57 #

That was the first thing that came into my mind..sad :-S

• Jess July 3, 2011 at 16:34 #

That’s why I prefer Kate’s dress as you could tell she was so happy and confident wearing it. While Charlene doesn’t which makes me dislike slightly it; even though I can see that it is a beautiful dress.

• rebecca o July 3, 2011 at 15:09 #

I agree. I can’t get past how unhappy she looks.

• susan July 3, 2011 at 15:43 #

yeah, looking at the picture of them kissing- kinda awkward in a sad way.

• Clover July 4, 2011 at 01:58 #

Yes, agreed – but also, I remember on my wedding day I was a bit freaked out by having to kiss in front of so many people… and we only had 140 guests! I think it would be incredibly nerve-wracking knowing that there were so many thousands and thousands of people watching, along with paparazzi taking photos to distribute around the globe. And she does seem to be quite a private person, don’t you think?

Maybe I’m an optimist, but I’m going to say the sad looking faces are just from nerves!

• ahot July 4, 2011 at 01:44 #

Well, if so, it must be all those ruors about her being a rnaway bride forced into it.
      She was very serious & emotional, but one could see the love as they were smiling & touching during the ceremony.
      @the small church, she cried because their subjects were singing for them, & he was so sweet to her!*sigh*
      She is said to be very shy, & i guess marrying a prince, head of a state & leave your world & everything behind you must be very overwhelming…

• ahot July 4, 2011 at 01:44 #

*rumors. Damn typos. :)

10. bec July 3, 2011 at 09:53 #

The dress she wore at her reception was beautiful too :) Great dresses!! :)

11. Vidhya July 3, 2011 at 09:53 #

the embroidery is breathtaking… I marvel at the talent of these dressmakers

12. Lucía July 3, 2011 at 10:35 #

It’s apretty dress but that’s it. I’m not all that excited about it, not breath-taking

13. Megan July 3, 2011 at 12:37 #

Beautiful.The dress is simple but very her and it still has exquisite detail,her hair and makeup are perfect.The ceremony was also amazingly beautiful.

14. mochababe73 July 3, 2011 at 13:10 #

I actually liked her look more than Kate’s from her hair to her make-up to her dress.
    But I do agree with the previous posters. She reminded me of Princess Diana on her wedding day-sad. Kate and William looked truly happy.

15. moja31 July 3, 2011 at 14:02 #

stunning. she was graceful and ethereal, yet interesting as well; every inch what a modern princess bride ought to look like. i adored the double train detail, and her hair and jewels were to die for.

16. Jimla July 3, 2011 at 15:38 #

She is very elegant, the gown is beautiful and classy. I prefer Charlene’s gown over Kate’s, but both of them are beautiful in a different way. Her hair and make-up were very tasteful. They don’t seem to be in love though. She looked so sad, really sad. The body language, unfortunately, tells a lot. Katherine and William on the other hand, were so happy and it was obvious they were in love (and still are).

• Fashion Critic July 3, 2011 at 16:28 #

I totally agree

• ahot July 4, 2011 at 01:53 #

She always looks kind of sad, out of place, distant. until she doesn’t see the cameras. & Albert always said, he won’t marry unless in love (& we all know he got plenty of opportunities!). I think it safe to say they do love each other but not blindly, & she is fully aware of his flaws. She just hasn’t found her mark yet & spread her wings. Will be interesting to watch

17. robbie July 3, 2011 at 17:34 #

beh doesnt wow me it looks so stiff.

18. molly July 3, 2011 at 18:24 #

I really really hate long trains, because they always seem like an afterthought, but on this dress, it actually worked. Charlene looked stunning, everything was perfect. I love the hair piece. It goes perfectly with the dress and the overall wedding. BDOTW for sure :)
    I like this even more than Kates dress. Its a fresh style as where Kates dress has been worn so many times over, there was nothing special about it.

19. Hannah July 3, 2011 at 21:16 #

She was just stunning, I adored th gown and it was really not what i expected, given wheat we have seen her in, and previosu armani, in particular armani prive gowns. Her hair and makeup were actual perfection, too.

20. Luci July 4, 2011 at 10:16 #

Love the dress, I think it flatters her swimmer’s figure perfectly!

(off topic: the kiss was a bick ick :P)

21. Samara July 4, 2011 at 14:02 #

Charlene’s style was simple, yet elegant. She made us South Africans so proud :)