Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Catherine Walker – Tree Planting Ceremony

On Saturday Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge visited the Canadian War Museum with her husband Prince William during their official tour of Canada.

After talking to war veterans, the Duke and Duchess took part in a Tree Planting Ceremony at Rideau Hall which was close to the one planted by the Prince and Princess of Wales in 1983.

The Duchess wowed the crowd on the third day of her tour wearing a Catherine Walker grey dress with a Peter Pan collar.

Whilst Catherine looks very presentable, I keep asking myself, “What would Michelle Obama do?”

I do however love her Tabitha Simmons Dela pumps from the Fall 2011 collection.

These lizard pumps along with her Hobbs clutch perfectly completed her conservative look.

Credit: Getty

29 thoughts on “Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Catherine Walker – Tree Planting Ceremony

1. Cara

i love it! i love her sense of style its always so appropriate. whilst she’s not exactly breaking ground with her choices she clearly has a personal style and sticks to it!

2. Alina

She looks great here.Nothing special,but she does look great.

“What would Michelle Obama do?” – I can see Michelle Obama in a beautiful skirt,a blouse and a colourful cardigan.

3. Emi

What’s that thing under her left foot? I guess something to make walking with heels more comfortable… I use this kind of thing, too. Cute dress, but boring outfit. She’s 30, not 45, Carla Bruni Sarkozy could wear something like this, but making it more interesting.

4. Jennie

but she is NOT Mrs. O… i think we should embrace her for who she is, instead of trying to conform her.

5. Sophie

You can’t compare Kate’s style to Michelle Obama. Kate is married to the future king of England and Michelle the President of the USA. Kate is 30, Michelle is in her 40s. Why not any comparisons to Samantha Cameron?

6. CreoleLady

Sometimes it is the accessories that take a simple look and elevate it to wonderful. One thing about the FLOTUS is that she frequently wears the most interesting accessories. Not trying to turn Catherine into someone else but any woman can benefit from great accessorizing especially when she recycles looks. The pumps here are a nice start.

7. Betty Brandenburg

Can we send the Duchess to the fashion school of Mary of Denmark or Maxima of the Netherlands? The first is also elegant, and doesn’t go crazy but looks ten times as stylish, always, and the latter is having fun with fashion. This is so boring it makes me want to weep.

8. moja31

this look would have been improved if her hair wasn’t hiding the interesting collar, this is the first set of photos were i could even see the peter pan collar. and judging from the photograph of her shoes, she doesn’t always have to wear hose, so perhaps someone can buy the woman something other than boring pumps in every color of the rainbow.

9. Naama

Like one of the girls said in a previous post, maybe she feels she needs to look professional – her style is very presentable, like a lawyer or a businesswoman and maybe that’s what makes her comfortable, wearing serious looks.

10. Gail

On first glance, I thought she was Maria Shriver, I had to do a double take. I agree with Moja, a different hair style would have accentuated the collar of the dress.

11. Jen

what I want to know is how she managed not to sink into the grass with the slender heels on those shoes.

12. robbie

she looks great, and finally another pair of new shoes.

i am so glad that catherine doesnt take a leaf out of michelle obamas book, catherine will be the future queen so i think colourful cardigans and puffy skirts is a little blah for a future queen.

13. pam

Michelle Obama would do what she always does…pretty skirt, colorful sweater and medium height heels. Some might say she is always the same and getting boring. Leave Kate alone!

14. Peter

WWMD???
    But M isn’t royalty and actually doesn’t have to worry AS much as being presentable to the ENTIRE world trying to prove herself as a well respectable woman!!!

15. anna

why compare to michelle obama?
    michelle has a grat style, but the are in contexts so differents…

1. TheBeautyPhilosopher

I agree. These are two women with two different styles. Because they are both ‘first ladies’ so to speak does not mean one is dressing the part more appropriately. Plus as a British duchess to the future King of England, Kate’s role is far more conservative than Michelle’s – steeped in a much older institution, rite and tradition. I think Kate is being consciously respectful of this tradition and I find it admirable. Also it is worth noting her Canada outfits show a youthfulness and elegant (if conservative) freshness which she did not completely have prior to marrying. She is slowly but impressively becoming more confident and comfortable in dressing for the public arena and it shows.

16. TheBeautyPhilosopher

Yes she looks conservative but this is her style and I think she does it beautifully. I love this outfit. The peter pan collar and cuffed sleeves are adorable as are the shoes. She always looks impeccable, happy, relaxed, comfortable, which are true indicators of real style.

17. pipsqueak

Someday the man will be bald, grow a belly and have an ugly butt, but b/c he has confidence and a successful career (code for money anyway), we forgive his bodily decay. The woman, on the other hand, gets better and better with age – full of grace and self-assuredness. She also watches her waistline b/c the high standard and scrutiny has made women better at having it all! She’s becoming a style icon. I like Kate’s understated style, b/c it suits her. I also think she’s the better looking Middleton girl. This dress is kinda sweet and girlie.

18. Vee

I think style icon is a strong term for Kate but I think she looks good. I think someone made a good comparison. She dresses like she works at a very conservative corporate law firm. I will likely on day work for one and try to fight against the dress code.

The shoes are a good step in the right direction and show a lil pizzazz.