01.07.11

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Issa – Youth Reception at Rideau Hall

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge arrived at Youth Reception at Rideau Hall in Ottawa, Canada yesterday with Prince William.

The couple met with over 120 Canadian children who dedicated themselves to bettering the lives of others.

She continued the navy run wearing an Issa bird print dress with black Nine West Cheyanne wedges.

You may recognise this dress, because on her last night as Kate Middleton, the she wore this dress as she entered the Goring Hotel.

The Royal couple will also join millions of Canadians to take part in today’s Canada Day celebrations which mark Canada’s 144th Birthday.

Let’s pray for a colour other than navy.

Credit: Getty

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Alexander McQueen - Queen Elizabeth II's Official Birthday

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Alexander McQueen – Queen Elizabeth II’s Official Birthday

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Reiss - Citizenship Ceremony

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Reiss – Citizenship Ceremony

34 Responses to Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge In Issa – Youth Reception at Rideau Hall

1. noo July 1, 2011 at 09:09 #

hopefully she’ll give us some red and white, which all royals from the queen to fergie have done in canada :D

• Fashion Critic July 1, 2011 at 09:19 #

interesting. I didn’t know that.

Love fun facts like that.

2. anamika July 1, 2011 at 09:11 #

Nice dress on a beauty of nation

3. Fashion Foie Gras July 1, 2011 at 09:42 #

It would be nice to see her in some bright colours! Wouldn’t the shocker of all shockers be to see her out in a Prada SS11 ensemble?! Bright bold stripes! She could totally pull it off!

• Fashion Critic July 1, 2011 at 09:47 #

I would pass out if she wore Prada stripes

4. Luci July 1, 2011 at 10:13 #

I also wish she would drop the eyeliner, she has beautiful eyes

• ashley July 1, 2011 at 18:49 #

i was thinking the same thing! the eyeliner on the bottom lid is way too harsh on her. i think it ages her actually

• Alina July 2, 2011 at 10:53 #

I agree.

5. Stylish1 July 1, 2011 at 11:05 #

My advice: (1) Lose the blue (2) Put the wedge shoes in the trash.
    This is hardly fashion icon style…I read somewhere that Catherine had used the services of personal shoppers for her trip to Canada?!?!
    Name and shame them :-(

6. Sarah July 1, 2011 at 11:29 #

Dear God she is becoming the Jennifer Aniston of navy blue.

• Fashion Critic July 1, 2011 at 11:34 #

True…the worst thing she had help for this tour whereas she usually styles herself.

7. Lee Ann July 1, 2011 at 11:52 #

how can this woman be said toi be a style icon. Boring boring boring. You can be classic and elegant without being dull.

• AW July 1, 2011 at 14:25 #

• Roberta July 2, 2011 at 00:24 #

This is hideous. I truly like her, but she is no style icon.

8. thebeautyphilosopher July 1, 2011 at 11:57 #

I love navy and it really suits her so I don’t think there is anything wrong with her wearing it frequently. If she wore navy every day during this tour THEN that would be odd.

9. Naama July 1, 2011 at 12:09 #

Although this look is not very exciting and I really want to see her in other colours as well, I really really love the fact that she wears her clothes more than once. I think these are the same shoes we’ve seen many times on the days before the wedding, right?
    I dunno why I find this so exciting, I love that she does it.

• Molly July 1, 2011 at 12:29 #

Naama, I was just going to write that. It makes her seem relatable in the best possible way. I love love love it that she seems to have an actual closet that she pulls items from. When something suits you well and you love it, you pull it out again! Seems the right message for the economic time we are in as well, and conveys the image that she and Williams are trying to cultivate. It may also be an effortt to throw the press off her trail? (If so, good luck with that!)

• Naama July 1, 2011 at 15:04 #

Absolutely, I agree with every word! :)

• thebeautyphilosopher July 2, 2011 at 11:17 #

I agree – it is so refreshing to see her clothes been worn more than once. Also imagine the pressure she would be under. It is easy to say she should and can wear what she wants but she is a non-aristocrat who has married into the British Royal family – an ancient institution. So she would feel pressure to show she does not dress like a high street ‘commoner’ anymore yet she would feel equal pressure to not suddenly appear as though she is extravagant Marie Antoinette style just because she is now married to the future king. Then on top of this, in her public appearances she is essentially fulfilling a professional role so she may feel as though she has to look professional and classic.

10. CreoleLady July 1, 2011 at 12:18 #

Seeing how William is dressed and that this is a youth event, the wedges and overalll look seem perfectly appropriate. At the moment she reminds me of Carla Bruni – playing it safe, perfectly acceptable. In many respects is to be expected. Better safe than sorry given the constant scrutiny and the bashing she would probably be in for if she took a risk and failed. See eg Michelle Obama. Besides, she may not be into having fun with fashion and that’s fine too.

• Luci July 1, 2011 at 14:08 #

I agree that it is better to play it safe (I am no risk-taker myself). But I think Carla Bruni has a way better style (and that’s about everything I love about C.B.)
      M. Obama is a great dresser from my point of view, she always dresses to suit her figure, which is not rail thin, which I love. Proofs that there are clothes to flatter all sizes. I love her use of color

• CreoleLady July 1, 2011 at 15:08 #

Oh dear, I knew I was going to regret the “… and failed.” I should have just ended at taking a risk.

But to clarify – for me, fashion failure is in some cases in the eye of the beholder. The FLOTUS in that stupendous red McQueen gown was bashed by folks in the fashion and political arenas. Some critics deemed it a failure where I most certainly did not.

Unlike actresses and other types of celebrities, the new Duchess operates in a world where a fashion misstep could have political repercussions. And the definition of misstep can be very subjective. And that was the comparison I was trying to make with the FLOTUS.

• Luci July 2, 2011 at 10:01 #

totally agree with you! Its amazing how much repercussion the McQueenGate had

11. Marvel July 1, 2011 at 13:32 #

Im getting kind of bored. I loved someones suggestion that she should wear Oscar De La Renta.

Her shoes are Nine West Cheyanne Wedge Heels

• Fashion Critic July 1, 2011 at 14:33 #

thanks sweetie

12. J July 1, 2011 at 13:41 #

Your Duchess is lovely without a doubt. I agree with Naama and Molly in that it is a huge point in her favour that she wears her own clothes and more than one. I understand her needing to turn to personal shoppers since her life must be getting hectic and I suppose it would take anyone a while to get used to her new “situation”. Her whole wardrobe so far has been very appropriate although it has been waning in wow factor, but again, like the girls said, these are hard times for the economy, so lavish and glam would be the wrong message to send.
    What I have an issue with is her posture, this girl needs to arch that back and pull those shoulders into the right position. She is quite thin, this hunching is not helping clothes hang properly and it detracts from her beauty. Is it just me?

• Megan July 1, 2011 at 14:20 #

No it is not just you I was going to posture exact same point about her posture.I notice it all the time and after all her various ‘princess trainings’ you would think that this would not be the case as posture is so important.
      Even watch the princess diaries!LOL:)

• J July 1, 2011 at 14:39 #

lol @ princess diaries

13. moja31 July 1, 2011 at 14:24 #

i’m not normally as offended by her eyeliner addiction as most, but it’s particularly egregious here. and again with the dreadfully boring shoes. god these two are about as exciting as stale toast.

• Ayvee July 4, 2011 at 06:41 #

Is it possible the bottom eyeliner has been tattooed on? Has there ever been a photo of her when she started dating William without eyeliner? Have we ever seen the eyeliner in a different color? Just wondering because it’s just always there.

14. Nia July 1, 2011 at 15:24 #

Of course I don’t expect her to be all va-va-va-voom or anything, but something about this just seems so flat and boring to me.

15. groucho July 1, 2011 at 19:30 #

boring boring boring…

• Linda July 1, 2011 at 22:04 #

yep

16. SSN July 5, 2011 at 12:43 #

I think she needs to learn a lot from Lady Di !