27.06.11

2011 BET Awards Red Carpet

The 2011 BET Awards was held at The Shrine Auditorium in LA yesterday.

Kerry Washington: The actress wore an acid green Michael Kors column gown. I love the colour which is perfect for this red carpet on a sunny day. With that in mind I have to ask, “why black pumps?” Gold strappy sandals would’ve worked so much better to complement her Kotur clutch, belt, gold Lana jewelry and the halter ring detail. I will never understand her decision to opt for black pumps on this occasion.

Keri Hilson: Whilst Kerry opted for a summery look, Keri’s had a Fall feel to it. The singer wore a bicolour Tibi purple and black strapless jumpsuit with black open-toe sandals. She accessorized with gold sculptural Ann Taylor cuffs, a Judith Leiber ‘Ridged Rectangle’ leopard printed haircalf minaudière, a Carla Amorim ring and a gold necklace with a green pendant.

Alicia Keys: The singer opted for zebra print Christian Louboutin Daffodil pumps to match her monochromatic Dolce & Gabbana look. Wilfredo Rosado fine jewelry and a fishtail plait completed her look.

Keke Palmer: I’m not quite sure how Mandalay continues to get away with ripping off other designers. Keke’s silver paneled dress is a total rip off from a Balmain Fall 2009 dress.

Kelly Rowland: The UK X Factor judge opted for a Notte by Marchesa fuchsia dress with a cascading ruffle detail which we’ve seen a few times on the red carpet. Her beautiful dress was paired with nude Jimmy Choo ‘Bisson’ heels.

Nicki Minaj: Of all looks at this event, Nicki was the one that made me itch the most. The singer wore a Mark Fast knit dress, with thick tights and black booties in that searing heat?

Michelle Williams: The former Destiny’s Child singer opted for a purple BCBG Max Azria draped dress. The dress revealed a gold embellished panel via a thigh-high split. Michelle opted for the funkiest footwear on the red carpet. Kerry and Keke take note.

Elise Neal: Opted for a very summery BCBG Max Azria silk strapless embroidered dress. I love the colour on her gorgeous smooth silky skin. I wish her heels weren’t so heavy for delicate dress.

Nia Long: The mother to be looked adorable wearing an angelic white BCBG Max Ariza dress. Silver Jimmy Choo’s and high bun completed her look.

Ashanti: The singer wore a Jean Fares Couture gown. I personally feel for this laidback event that Ashanti was a tad overdressed. Her turquoise full length gown with a beaded design around the sleeve and back of her gown was paired with a silver envelope clutch.

Eve: The rapper wore a head-to-toe leather look with Mulger pumps. I hate to be crude, sweating ALL over.

Meagan Good: This should read Meagan ‘Not So’ Good. Too much fabric, too hot, too dark, too OTT.

Credit: Getty & Fame Pictures

ARIA Awards 2013 Red Carpet Roundup

ARIA Awards 2013 Red Carpet Roundup

Mary J Blige In Hervé Léger by Max Azria - 2011 BET Award Press Room

Mary J Blige In Hervé Léger by Max Azria – 2011 BET Award Press Room

37 Responses to 2011 BET Awards Red Carpet

1. Alina June 27, 2011 at 10:57 #

Kerry W. and Kelly R. are my BD.

P.S.: It’s Kelly Rowland,not Kerry Rowland.

2. Katey June 27, 2011 at 10:58 #

What about Michelle williams?

I think She was so cute and stylish.

Don’t You think that?

• Fashion Critic June 27, 2011 at 11:39 #

nice, but nothing special

• Katey June 27, 2011 at 12:30 #

I think She’s better than Keke Palmer in her fake dress and in that awful black heels.

• Fashion Critic June 27, 2011 at 11:39 #

hideous

3. Laura June 27, 2011 at 13:39 #

I am a black women from west Africa, but the black awards are the biggest let down. They always look ghetto and greasy. Look at how Rosie Huntingdon – whitely dressed this week?
    Look at the Asian awards? Not one person here looks good. The awards in Hong Kong alone make my black sisters look like hooch mama’s at the miss baby mama crenshaw convention.

I don’t think you should cover the BET or NAACP awards till they stop being so narrow minded a learn that reading vogue or ell does not mean you want to be a white girl, as always charged at me when I was growing up. ‘ white girl magazines are better than ‘ black girl magazines ‘ . Even Kim Karadshian looks better than these hoodrats.

• Camille June 27, 2011 at 15:20 #

Um…what the hell are you talking about? So BET needs to stop being narrow-minded yet your using words like “ghetto” “greasy” and “hoodrats”? Every award show, no matter what the predominant race, has hits and misses. I hope FC deletes your comment because you seem a little off.

• Fashion Critic June 27, 2011 at 16:05 #

I published Laura’s comment because she like everyone else is entitled to an opinion even if I don’t agree with it.

Like I’m surprised by the language, especially coming from someone of african descent

• AW June 27, 2011 at 15:32 #

I’m sorry but your rant is totally uncalled for. While you may not agree with their style choices, there is nothing “hoodrat” or “greasy” or “miss baby mama crenshaw” about Kerry Washington, Kelly Rowland or Alicia Keys’ style choices for this event.

Perhaps you have some other issues that need to be dealt with because the hatred that you’re spewing on this FASHION blog is not only out of place but it’s also incorrect considering that the 3 aforementioned women in addition to Halle Berry, Iman, Thandie Newton and countless other black women are most often the best dressed on red carpets around the world.

Your post wreaks of self-hatred and I really hope you can learn to love yourself, stop associating black with “ghetto” and simply enjoy a great fashion blog without turning it into a racists manifesto.

• DivaMom June 27, 2011 at 15:56 #

Wow. And as a black woman in America, I find your comment very cruel and mean. Ghetto and greasy, really? All the ladies in these photos exude elegance and beauty, regardless if you agree with their fashion choices, which if I’m correct is what this blog is about. Not if someone “looks” ghetto. And do you know where the word “ghetto” originate from anyway? Research it and get back to me. I wonder if you would still deem these ladies, “ghetto.”

• Imani June 30, 2012 at 02:09 #

I’m a lot late, but I am so glade you wrote what you did. It is so sad, but there is always one of us that is so willing to tear us down. There are things I may not like about one of my sisters, but I would never put it out into the public. There are too many people out there who enjoy our cat fighting. Let’s not give them the satisfaction!!

• Nia June 27, 2011 at 16:16 #

None of the women featured here look “ghetto, greasy, hoodrat”, etc. I think it is offensive to use these terms to describe black women, simply because you do not like their style. Kerry Washington and Kelly Rowland to me look very tasteful and elegant here. I do not like Keri Hilson’s or Alicia Keys’ outfits, but that is more a matter of my own personal taste. To me they do not look “hoodrat”. And why should this site boycott showing some of the better fashions from the BET awards, even if they are so few and far between?

I do understand your general point, and I absolutely detest BET as well and never watch it, and I do not like the majority of fashion at that awards show. But I do appreciate seeing at least some of the fashions from the show here. Nicki Minaj is as usual doing her own outrageous thing, but so does Lady Gaga at the Grammys. Does that mean we call for a complete boycott of the Grammy fashions on this blog? Some of the white women at the Oscars and Country Music Awards ALWAYS look a hot mess alongside the more elegant celebs, but would we call for a boycott of the Oscars and CMA’s?

It’s like when black people go to a black-owned shop or restaurant and get bad service – we’re all like: “I’m never supporting any black businesses ever!”. But we will get bad service at a Burger King’s or a white-owned shop, and that does not stop us from visiting another Burger King outlet, a McDonald’s or any other white-owned establishment.

• DivaMom June 27, 2011 at 16:40 #

Amen, amen, and amen to all of your wonderful points, especially the last paragraph.

• Kai February 13, 2012 at 15:53 #

Just because you are also black does not entitle you to be bigoted.

4. Laura June 27, 2011 at 13:47 #

Give me more Rosie Huntingdon – Whitely, Fan Bing Bing ( any woman from Asia ) please………and I watch BET. Every time I go to Hong Kong, I stock up on Hong Kong tattler……Oh, it is paradise…. Even the 50 plus no name society wives look better than this – and half of Hollywood. This is why the ‘ sitsa’ never get covers of Vogue, etc.

• Fashion Critic June 27, 2011 at 13:59 #

Halle Berry has landed Vogue twice and Rihanna was on the cover of American Vogue this year.

• THE TRUTH June 27, 2011 at 16:39 #

LOL, Alicia Keys was in Italian Vogue this year as well. They dress casual because the BET awards is nothing special. I won’t lie a few of them look Hood like Eve, but its probably because she couldn’t have cared less about how she showed up. When you say something that crazy you should make sure its true first.

• Alina June 28, 2011 at 07:15 #

Beyonce was on the cover of Vogue USA and had a feature in Vogue Italy.

Michelle Obama was on the cover of Vogue USA.

Jennifer Hudson was on the cover of Vogue USA.

Oprah was on the cover of Vogue USA.

And many others…

• Fashion Critic June 28, 2011 at 09:43 #

Yes there have been many others…thank you

• Laura July 3, 2011 at 20:48 #

Most were the shape issue. Not the coveted, september issue. Only biracial Halle got that.

5. Giuseppi Giraffe June 27, 2011 at 14:01 #

Of all these, I think Kerry Washington had the best idea about wather-appropriate attire- they all look like they’re dressed for sliglhtly cooler weather. Her yellow was a great pop of color. I love how Alicia Keyes wore a simple but sharp suit and accessorized with those pumps (yum!), and I was GOING to say that the dress Keke Wilson was wearing was a close contender for first by Kerry Washington, and then I saw the Balmain… um… wow.

6. 7thAveDesigner June 27, 2011 at 15:47 #

@Laura – you seem like you have issues far deeper than a BET red carpet. Why shouldn’t the editor cover BET or NAACP??? Because the expression is different? Because it doesn’t fit your obviously whitewashed viewpoint?? Get real. You may not want to be white, but you sure sound like a very self hating black person who idolizes whiteness. With all of the stylish black actresses and the gorgeous black models that are working today, you dare say that the BET Awards red carpet is the reason why black women aren’t featured on magazines. You obviously have NO idea what you are talking about or how the ‘real’ fashion industry runs and how blatanly racist it can be. You getting on this forum and labeling black women as hoochie mamas and hoodrats is part of the problem. It’s actually disgusting. You are the very type of self hating uncle tom who gets in a public forum to ‘front off’ other black people to make yourself seem cultured. If their style is bad, let it just be that. Did they all get it ‘right’? No. What red carpet has a 100% success rate? But the negative epithets you ascribed to them only perpetuate the negativity that is fostered in racism, ignorance and even insecurity and jealousy. YOU, my dear Laura, are part of the problem. Maybe if you could get your head out of the ‘heavenly’ Asian magazines and pick up Arise or Trace or visit Italian Vogue’s black site, you might find great imagery of stylish black people. But I tend to believe that you have a negative self fulfilling side to you that can’t even see the beauty that is so evident.

7. Nia June 27, 2011 at 16:22 #

If Kerry Washington had not worn the black pumps I might have asked that she be a BDOTW nominee, depending on how the rest of the week went.

• Fashion Critic June 27, 2011 at 16:28 #

Totally agree. I almost cried when I saw the shoes

• Linda June 27, 2011 at 18:45 #

Yes, she would have knocked it out of the park with the right shoes. On another note, is Keri Hilson sporting a rat tail extension of some sort?

8. THE TRUTH June 27, 2011 at 16:48 #

WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT ISH AINT BALMAIN????? THATS AN ABSOLUTE CRIME……………………..

9. dee June 27, 2011 at 17:20 #

I would have liked Kerry’s look more without the black pumps and I think Kelly looks good too. I like everything on Alicia Keys but her pants.

10. pam June 27, 2011 at 21:19 #

OK, here are the “don’ts.” When do we get to see the “do’s?”

• Laura June 27, 2011 at 23:00 #

When the MTV music award commences. That is where you will see the ” do’s..

11. mochababe73 June 28, 2011 at 01:27 #

That Balmain knock-off is so obvious. They didn’t try to change it whatsoever.
    My favorite was Kelly Rowland. I love the pink on her.

12. Teleholic June 28, 2011 at 03:48 #

Ashanti looks STUNNING, better than ever, but I agree, very overdressed (like a couple of others here). I do wish she’d stop posing like that, it’s the same everytime. I also don’t want to be crude but it looks like the pose of someone eight and a half months pregnant complaining about their back. (My mom. :) ) But I am glad to see she’s picking out more beautiful looks.

I was really surprised by Kelly Rowland’s look. Really great, event appropriate. Good for her.

Thanks for covering this, FC!

13. Pati June 28, 2011 at 12:18 #

Michelle Williams´shoes are Giuseppe Zanotti :)

• Fashion Critic June 28, 2011 at 12:31 #

Thanks will update when I am at home

14. rm June 28, 2011 at 22:32 #

that laura woman with the horrible comments is not black she a troll hater.

15. Laura July 3, 2011 at 20:46 #

This fashion site. I am entitled to my opinion. I am black, bTW.

16. Alice A August 6, 2011 at 19:42 #

omg, i actually hate megan good, sometime i feel like i wanted crawl into computer to this place and tell her wear some nice tones and summer minidress like alice+oliva, it not oscar. i dont mean to be horrible, i was disspointted with her look