Blake Lively In Chanel Couture – “Green Lantern” LA Premiere

Blake Lively aka “Legs or Boobs” opted for none of the above at the “Green Lantern” LA Premiere last night.

I had been really excited about this premiere, but after looking at her in this floral appliqué Chanel Spring 2009 Couture bridal gown the excitement slowly wore off.

There is not enough ‘Blake’ in this look for my liking.

Whilst she does look absolutely gorgeous, I also feel that this look is far too vanilla for her.

I do love the messy plait and the gradual movement back to natural blonde hair colour.

Lorraine Schwartz jewels and sparkling silver pumps completed her look.

BDOTW?

[nggallery id=854]
Credit: Style.com & Getty

69 thoughts on “Blake Lively In Chanel Couture – “Green Lantern” LA Premiere

1. Jen

Thirded on the meh. I’m wondering if I would like this more on someone like Diane Kruger, but I think I’d still come down on the meh side of things. Looks kinda like a doily.

1. alex

the skirt cuts off at such a TERRIBLY awkward place! i’m also totally thrown by the incongruous styling – the bracelets especially make no sense. the hair is actually really ratty looking, at best, too. all around – i see what she wanted to do, but a lot of elements brought it down.

2. nicky

I like the accessories but that’s pretty much it. The look is a bit too bridal looking..she can’t pull it off. The hair is offensive as well.

3. Marlie

The top half is so pretty. She should of made the top longer (just above the knee) and got rid of the skirt completely. Not a fan of the hair. No don’t think it is BDOTW worthy.

4. Martin

I really don’t mind this, but it could have been better. Get rid of that incredibly distracting and mystifyingly ratty hair and raise the hem of the skirt by an inch or two. In short, wear it in the manner in which it was worn by the model on the runway (minus the headpiece of course).

5. Crystal

i dont see why it is so wrong to show off what you have, i mean look at her, she is stunning. On the other hand, i think she should admit to those scandal photos, i am not saying is her, but if its really her, omg, she is smoking hot, she should take it and move on. I feel like since the photos were out , she has been hiding something. i kind of like her w either her boobs or her legs out, which really made her the ‘Blake LIvely’=p

1. Linda

I have to agree. Curiosity got the better of me and I looked a the pics and she is smoking hot. Just admit it and move on already. This look is okay, but quite dowdy looking from the back.

6. Megan

I don’t like it but even if the skirt was removed it would have been a complete déjà vu of another Chanel look of hers.

7. Laura

I love Blake but it’s not her best look. I think, if Diane Kruger would wear this, she would give us a wow factor, definitely. And I agree with Voguette about Blake not being a Chanel girl. So far, she doesn’t look fabulous when wearing Chanel.

8. Sisi

She is a young girl. Why does she need so many jewels ? Too much.
    Blake is a overdressed again.
    And the Chanel dress is so horrible. It doesnt matter who wears it…..

9. Kate McCarthy

I think she looks the best she has in a long time,this girl sure has moxy, nude photos or terrible reviews cant bring her down! I guess its a sign Chanel still supporting her? Im liking more her confidence than the choice of dress, still think she tries too hard to be ‘high fashion’

10. rebecca

Chanel is all wrong for Blake Lively. Blake Lively is all wrong for Chanel. Chanel is grace and poise, and as much as I love Blake Lively, she just isn’t the Chanel girl. It would be different if this was the first time she wore Chanel, but it isn’t. And this isn’t the first time Chanel has not worked on her. The only time it ever has was at the MET Gala. Even in the campaign she looks out of place. I would’ve preferred a typical Blake Lively boob/leg look to this.

1. Fiona

I agree totally. Rarel does one of her Chanel looks work on her, something about her does not suit the aesthetic. She seems so restrained and try-hard. This seems a perfect example of trying to make the shoe fit and it simply does not. She suits other designers so much better.

2. june

i agree. blake’s always been more of a versace girl for me. something fun and sexy. i love chanel, but fun and sexy aren’t exactly what comes to mind when you think about the brand. (unfortunately for blake, keira knightley is so perfect as the chanel spokesperson that almost anyone else just feels inferior)

3. Anamika

Sry but Chanel is made for every woman on this planet.
      her hair should have been tied up….I don’t think gold jewels was nice for this dress ….just a nice small diamonds earings

1. rebecca

Maybe it is… but her dress choices doesn’t suit her. Maybe if she had chosen a more funner more Blake Lively dress that was still Chanel it might’ve worked. But the Chanel dresses that she has chosen to wear does not at all suit her. So far of all her Chanel looks the models have appeared to have worn it way better. But I do agree her hair looks way to cheap to be worn with a beautiful Chanel Couture dress.

1. marie

I agree! I think she looks drop dead. That smiles brightens any look!
      Although I agree that she isn’t a Chanel girl, you can’t look “meh” in Chanel Couture ;)
      The hair and the jewels are interesting as well, what more do you want?

11. shili

I`m not a fan of Blake Lively, but i think she looks lovely. I love her hair and accessories! This dress would have been great as a mini.

12. noo

not bdotw :S i like blake but not today, maybe if she had taken off the transparent part and shown legs!

13. Emi

I dislike it from head to toe. The hair looks stringy, I don’t like all those bracelets and rings, and I think that she would have chosen the dress without the sheer skirt, but now she needs to not expose too much skin. I’m not a fan of her but I think, as others do, that Chanel and Blake Lively are not a good match.

14. cara

i like it but i think it would have looked alot better if it had been shortered. and it would look alot more “blake”

mind you on someone else it could really work, perhaps rhianna?

and i agree with the majority of comments, she shouldnt be the Chanel girl.

15. Trix

Blake is vanilla, dress or no dress. This just shows, yet again, what a bad fit for Chanel she is. She just does not pull it off. For such a big fan of the brand, which she claims she is, she sure doesn’t seem to understand it’s aesthetics nor promote it well.

16. Michelle

“Okay” but as Rebecca said Chanel is all wrong for Blake. I think she would have looked in better in a piece from the Spring 2011 Dolce and Gabbana collection

17. Anna

She is just not a couture type of person.
    There is nothing wrong with it – some people can do couture, some – can’t.

I could name a few people(the before mentioned Kruger included) who could make this work – but she just doesn’t and it’s a pity, since this is one of the very few Chanel couture gowns which I really like.

18. Dorian Gray

I LOVE her but, this time, not BDOTW. Have you seen the pics of her trip in Italy with Leo Di Caprio?

19. Jones19

I think she looks darling here, very innocent and very pretty. I prefer her looking sexy though.

20. mikeijames

she looks absolutely ethereal, but i do agree, she doesn’t look BLAKE enough. something tells me she’s intentionally turning down the wattage on her sex appeal. first, we had the conservative kors ensemble, now this.

21. Bewie

And her ability to make couture look so cheap continues… can u imagine Diane kruger in this? Its going to be a whole different story…

22. Emma

What a “meh” look. So predictable. Chanel in my opinion will never fit Blake, I don’t care what Karl Lagerfeld says Chanel is all wrong for her. Blake isn’t sophisticated enough for such a chic French brand.

And the combo of Chanel, Lorraine Schwartz and Louboutin seems to be her go to. So boring, mix it up!

I think she often wears too much jewelry and this just proves my point.

23. GirlOne

Yeah, I’m not feeling, either.

On a side note, I think she would look better with shorter hair.

24. asherlev1

I do kinda feel like she’s compensating for the scandal. The dress doesn’t have that same va-va-voom feel to it that a lot of her looks usually do.

25. Laura

I know you didn’t put BDOTW in this post, FC. No no no. She looks so blah.

She isn’t the “Chanel” type at all. I rarely like any Chanel she wears, and I can’t remember a time I loved the combo. It just doesn’t work. There are plenty of better suited Chanel girls.

26. Nikki

I’m still scratching my head about why Chanel chose Blake. That brand is regal and sophisticated and Blake’s just not. Take this for example. It’s just awful! I was like, WTF. Looking at her gives me the hibbie jibbies.

27. Alina

Stop giving her Chanel dresses…she’s not worthy. Chanel (esp. Couture) is for Diane Kruger,Cate Blanchett,Kristen Dunst.
    Blake doesn’t know how to wear Chanel.Yes,sexy is her thing but… we saw during Cannes that you can be sexy and work a Chanel dress : Karolina Kurkova.

28. justme

There’s something extremely basic about Blake.
    It’s as if she thought “hey, my dress has flowers on it, so let’s braid my hair and put a blingy flower piece on it too, then let’s add a bunch of sparkly accessories… yay, too cute”.
    Such a messy look.

29. Kaylie

I wasn’t a fan of her style when she constantly had both her boobs and legs on display, but she toned it down a bit pre-scandal, picking one or the other. Which I loved. But now, post-scandal, she is covering up completely. Which again, would be fine, if she picked dresses that suited her… which sadly, I feel Chanel does not suit her. She looks like she belongs on the beaches of California, not walking the streets of Paris. That being said, I do think some of the Chanel Resort dresses would look great on her! She should try some of those instead of Chanel Couture, which always looks out of place on her.

Also, just a general comment unrelated to fashion. I wish that instead of blaming a girl for taking a naked picture of herself, we could instead place the blame on the creeps who hack into people’s cell phones and computers and distribute the pictures on the internet. Blake shouldn’t have to deal with this.

1. Fashion Critic Post author

I personally don’t blame her.

What she does in private is her business.

Looking at the photo’s I’m not surprised she’s so impressed with her body that she took them in the first place

2. justme

A lot of industry people believe she leaked those pictures herself though. If it’s true, I can’t feel sorry for her. I save my sympathy for Vanessa Hudgens, Jessica Alba and others who are indeed victims of creeps.

1. bewie

Yes. My friend who’s working in PR say the same. She said it’s probably from Warner itself as Green Lantern dooms to be the biggest flop of the year and it just needs some major PR boost. The Leo thing too.

She’s in every major gossip site now so I think it works

30. Tatiana

She picked the wrong dress for the occasion. This premiere deserved a dress that was edgy, sexy, colorful, short and fun, not this drabby old thing.

31. SB

Bewie, I agree. This girls always look on the trashy side to me. Obviously she is pretty but I just don’t get it. I don’t think I’ve ever liked anything she’s worn. If I read one more time about how she doesn’t have a stylist……Lawd, I wish she DID.