Nicole Kidman In Proenza Schouler – 2011 CMT Awards

I have been crushing on Nicole Kidman for a while now, so I was really excited to see what she wore next on the red carpet.

She wore another interesting look tonight at the 2011 CMT Music Awards, opting for a modern Proenza Schouler Fall 2011 dress.

The green and blue striped velvet dress with a black chiffon skirt appears to be modified from the runway.

Either Nicole’s version has a nude lining; her dress isn’t as lined as the runway version; or the skirt doesn’t look as dark because she’s (thankfully) not wearing tights.

Whatever the reason, I’m not too fond of how the nude lining looks on Nicole.

The dress was better presented on the runway.

Nicole’s dress gives me the feeling that something is missing.

I do however love those Pierre Hardy lilac sandals.

[nggallery id=844]
Credit: Style.com & Getty

Kirsten Dunst & Sofia Coppola In Louis Vuitton - Louis Vuitton 2012 Cruise Presentation

Kirsten Dunst & Sofia Coppola In Louis Vuitton – Louis Vuitton 2012 Cruise Presentation

Sheryl Crow In Catherine Malandrino & All Saints - 2011 CMT Awards

Sheryl Crow In Catherine Malandrino & All Saints – 2011 CMT Awards

38 Responses to Nicole Kidman In Proenza Schouler – 2011 CMT Awards

1. alannah June 9, 2011 at 03:54 #

i love the green up to the top but agree that the bottom just looks funny (although at least she’s wearing decent shoes). that hair is terrible though.. shes really starting to age imo!

2. Martin June 9, 2011 at 04:37 #

This whole thing looks odd to me. The hair is off, the nude lining is plain strange and makes the dress appear as though it is unfinished and the shoes don’t really make any sense in the context of the dress.

I think that Proenza’s fall collection is probably going to be one of the biggest hits on the red carpet over the coming six months and Liv Tyler’s superb look at the CFDAs had me excited about the possibilities. Nicole, unfortunately, does this no justice at all. I would’ve preferred black tights and a heavy black shoe as it would have given the look some intensity and depth rather than the mess that it looks like here.

3. mari June 9, 2011 at 04:57 #

love the coloring of her dress against her own, the red hair and the green…
    the black/darker on the runway looks nicer, but I do not despise her look.
    I prefer her in these shorter, sassier looks, than in the gowns for these type of events. I think his stylee is more appropriate, after all, she’s there as a companion of her husband.

4. Joy June 9, 2011 at 05:01 #

This look is very bizarre. I usually adore Nicole but I strongly dislike this entire look. The dress is just weird and those shoes might be nice but not together with the dress. Sorry Nic, I’m sure you will be smoking next time.

5. robbie June 9, 2011 at 05:42 #

i really really dont like that lining, i wish the whole skirt was lined and not just the top part. her shoes are too die for.

6. Tahj June 9, 2011 at 05:58 #

That doesn’t even look like her. She never looks like herself. I haven’t admired Kidman’s style since 2003.

7. Lucy Diamond June 9, 2011 at 06:03 #

Not feeling it. Her version of the dress looks rather odd and the shoes neither compliment or match it. I’m not quite sure what she was aiming for here.

8. sassy June 9, 2011 at 06:33 #

I think she looks great and the green is wonderful for her complexion! I would have worn black or green shoes tho!

9. noo June 9, 2011 at 07:31 #

i just take what i get from nicole, she looks bizzare half the time anyway but at least she’s wearing lovely shoes :D

10. Lily June 9, 2011 at 07:37 #

I’m so confused by this look. I want to like it, but can’t. I hate the color of shoes and the hair. Maybe if those were different, I could appreciate it.

11. Sarah NZ June 9, 2011 at 07:39 #

The green is fantastic on her but the skirt is too sheer – a stronger black would have been better. Someone should tell her hubby to stop parting his hair like a pair of curtains.

12. karen June 9, 2011 at 07:48 #

Nicole is a total mess. I saw a profile on her recently on tv and wow what ever happened to the girl who had such amazing style years ago?

• bibi June 9, 2011 at 12:16 #

too much surgeries!
      and now she looks more colder and expressionless!

13. Emi June 9, 2011 at 08:08 #

I prefer the runway version, too. I really like the shoes. her hair is quite bad.

14. Vicky June 9, 2011 at 09:05 #

Waist up is OK, the rest is just a mess.
    Those shoes look horrible with that dress! On their own or paired with better colours thet would have been great.

15. Azalea June 9, 2011 at 10:54 #

To die for sandals – i like the clashing

• Linda June 10, 2011 at 02:07 #

I kinda do too.

16. GirlOne June 9, 2011 at 11:06 #

I agree, the runway look is to be preferred. Nicole’s styling is kinda all over the place, with the jewellery, the lining, the shoes… Like her nail polish, though!

17. Femme June 9, 2011 at 11:19 #

I don´t love the shoes and dress combo, kinda clashing

18. Lara June 9, 2011 at 12:28 #

Those shoes, while I love them on their own, and I appreciate the effort she made (after all she normally opts for kitten heels when accompanying her husband) just do NOT go with that dress. The dress itself is just meh for me, but then I didn’t really like it on the runway either.

And the hair… Good Lord… the hair…

19. Alina June 9, 2011 at 12:49 #

This is bad.

• sonia June 9, 2011 at 21:58 #

bad is to polite! say a MESSSSSSSSSSSSS! ;-)

20. Gabi June 9, 2011 at 12:57 #

To me this is one of Nicole’s worst looks. I don’t like the hair, the dress is not flattering at all and although I think lilac and green make a great color match, I don’t see the connection between her shoes and dress. I usually don’t really like when celebs wear the exact same look from the runway but this is an exception. If she had stick to it, it would’ve been a million times better.

21. Lara June 9, 2011 at 13:02 #

FC, my computer froze as I was trying to post, so I’m not sure if this comment went thru:

And the hair… Good Lord… the hair…

22. Chloé June 9, 2011 at 13:16 #

Don’t really like her hair and i’m not so sure about the shoes with the dress….

23. Paddy M June 9, 2011 at 13:18 #

Y’all are crazy.

This is a fantastic outfit on Nicole. Not many celebrities in their 40s make such daring fashion choices. I love it to bits.

Can’t believe I seem to be the only one here who thinks this is BDOTW-worthy.

24. D June 9, 2011 at 13:21 #

no nicole :( this looks like when you first got married to tom cruise….

25. Camille June 9, 2011 at 13:28 #

from the waist up, I like it. Below the waist it’s a mess. She looks uncomfortable with the length of the lining…it’s like a nude jersey mini skirt underneath an overly long sheer black tunic and it just doesn’t work. I love the shoes, just not with this outfit. Wish Nicole would get her fashion groove back.

26. jj June 9, 2011 at 15:07 #

I love the dress and I love the shoes, but I don’t think they look good together.

27. Shaina June 9, 2011 at 15:20 #

Wow, I do not like anything about this look! It’s all wrong for me, the shoes is the best part, other than that, the hair, dress, and lack of excitement from Nicole kills it.

28. Lucía June 9, 2011 at 15:55 #

I wish she had worn the original dress..I like the sandals too.

29. maria June 9, 2011 at 16:02 #

i saw a close up and the sheer overlay was somehow ripped. On top of looking strange anyhow, it also looked a bit of a mess. very strange choice of outfit and as beautiful as the shoes are, they do not fit, nor make an understandable contrast.
    She does a total disservice to the collection.

30. Nia June 9, 2011 at 16:15 #

HATE IT.
    The hair, the shoes (not on their own, but with the outfit), the dress, the fabric looks cheap and tacky, and that awful lining, everything – just hate it.

31. Bonnie June 9, 2011 at 16:36 #

somehow I hate and love the look at the same time,that lining is bad,maybe she shud have followed the runway version.

32. Marybeth June 9, 2011 at 17:28 #

I like the runway version but hate Nicole’s.
    I bet she was trying to make a decidedly FALL dress look summery. If so, it works about as well as wearing a bikini top over a velvet gown. EEK!

Are there no Spring dresses left out there?

33. Ally June 9, 2011 at 17:55 #

Usually I wish people had picked better shoes for their fabulous dresses, this time I wish she had picked a better dress for those amazing shoes!

34. Lance June 10, 2011 at 00:04 #

Hideous!!!!

35. pipsqueak June 10, 2011 at 02:37 #

Wowie … finally a refreshing change! Out – L’Wren Scott and peep-toed low heels; In – Proenza Schouler and edgy shoes. Well done, Nicole, well done.