06.06.11

Kristen Stewart In Balmain – 2011 MTV Movie Awards

Red Hot Award
This is the one I have been waiting for.

Kristen Stewart arrived at the 2011 MTV Movie Awards wearing a Balmain dress.

I’m not sure how this will go down with her hardcore fans, but I’ve been waiting for Kristen to rock something like this for a long while.

Her Balmain red leather dress covered with safety pins, studs and stars is from the Spring 2011 collection, was actually only presented as a jacket on the runway.

Balmain was actually on my wishlist for her for this event, so hopefully her stylist is reading my tweets ;)

Whilst the look has all her trademarks – short skirt and black pumps – I love the smile with a touch of attitude, but I wish the hair was pulled back.

I feel like I’ve seen this style so many times with Kristen.

[nggallery id=840]

Credit: Getty

Kendall Jenner In Oriett Domenech - 2014 Teen Choice Awards

Kendall Jenner In Oriett Domenech – 2014 Teen Choice Awards

Leighton Meester In Balmain - 2011 MTV Movie Awards

Leighton Meester In Balmain – 2011 MTV Movie Awards

52 Responses to Kristen Stewart In Balmain – 2011 MTV Movie Awards

1. Hermione Weasley June 6, 2011 at 02:56 #

Not sure about the shoes, but Gosh she looks great, and she looked so happy and playful on the red carpet.

2. Emma June 6, 2011 at 02:56 #

I love Kristen in this dress. I’ve waited ages to see her in Balmain!

Hair is ok, need another pair of shoes.

3. Ariel June 6, 2011 at 02:58 #

I agree that we have seen this style so many times on her before but she does look very hot here, effortlessly hot!

4. S June 6, 2011 at 03:00 #

FC, is that her black bra showing on her right side?

5. rebecca June 6, 2011 at 03:01 #

Do you prefer this look over the Proenza Schouler, FC? I do. I’ve been wanting her to wear Balmain forever because it fits her style perfectly.

• Fashion Critic June 6, 2011 at 03:09 #

Yes, but each were appropriate for their occasion

6. bec June 6, 2011 at 03:05 #

wow, she looks so comfortable and confident!! She has come a long way – love it!!

7. Leila June 6, 2011 at 03:07 #

loved the dress, the hair is plain as usual, but i will ignore it because of how cool the dress is

8. rebecca o June 6, 2011 at 03:09 #

This is the same thing she wears every single time. Short dress, black shoes. Rinse, repeat.

• Lucy Diamond June 6, 2011 at 03:30 #

Agreed. Bored. Why does it always have to be super short as well?

• Julie June 6, 2011 at 13:21 #

Agreed. Same mega short dress, messy hair, legs-open pose. Yawn.

9. Martin June 6, 2011 at 03:10 #

Don’t really see anything here apart from the typical Balmain tackiness unfortunately. The dress appears to be too short and the safety pins scream try-hard punk. Uninspiring.

• molly June 6, 2011 at 03:28 #

I feel the same way.

• Bill June 6, 2011 at 04:55 #

I dont know why people assume Balmain is so “tacky!” I just dont see it! Like if something has a lot of embellishment and is short it is automatically consider tacky, thats just dumb. Also, the dress is punk inspired since Balmain spring 2011 collection was all about punk rock. I dont get that the look is “try-hard punk” since it would be more “try hard” if she actually came in something literal about punk rock than something inspired by it.

• Martin June 6, 2011 at 05:30 #

I am aware of the influence behind Balmain’s S/S 2011 show but, I’m sorry, sewing safety pins on a dress does not necessarily make it punk or “punk inspired.”

And in my opinion Balmain is tacky because there is no art or intelligence to the designs. I am not suggesting short and embellished equals tacky at all. When Jason Wu does short and embellished, it is not tacky, when Balenciaga does short and embellished, it is not tacky.

But Balmain’s short and embellished is tacky. When I see Balmain, I see lazy, I see the same shapes season after season, I see the same embellishment season after season with very little evolution or progression.

• Fashion Critic June 6, 2011 at 05:46 #

Good point Hence Christophe Decarnin being fired.

Can’t wait to see what Spring 2012 brings

• mikeijames June 6, 2011 at 06:56 #

martin displays fashion’s elitism at its best. just because one doesn’t *like* the inspiration points of a particular designer does not render their designs cheap or tacky. it’s quite funny that we don’t hear these same voices disparaging burberry or emporio who had the exact same reference points in their collections.

in my opinion, kristen stewart has never looked better than this. this dress was (quite literally i think) made for her.

10. mikeijames June 6, 2011 at 03:12 #

she looks so fantastic in this dress!!! who knew you could make that oh-so-edgy jacket into an even more unforgettable minidress!

• Martin June 7, 2011 at 04:47 #

You misunderstand me, mikeijames. I love the inspiration, I just think the execution is lazy and tacky.

11. Victoria June 6, 2011 at 03:30 #

Kristen is absolutely beautiful here – you can see that she has inner confidence cause she knows she is 100% smokin hot in that dress. Her hair is lustrous and her skin is glowing – she is totally stunning!

12. Laura June 6, 2011 at 03:31 #

Love this. A great color for her, and I don’t mind her hair down on this occasion.

13. PamG June 6, 2011 at 03:34 #

This look is definitely formulaic for Kristen, but she knows it works to her advantage. She looks great, and it’s nice that she frequently has some edginess and fun to her looks. Like others, I like that she has growing confidence and ease on the red carpet.

14. Eva June 6, 2011 at 03:48 #

LOVE IT! perfection if only those louboutins were pigalles were with spikes & with some color…

• Fränzi June 6, 2011 at 14:10 #

even more spikes?

15. Fashionmeal June 6, 2011 at 04:21 #

Holy sweet lord in heaven. She looks incredible. I mean, there’s not very many people who can rock that dress. But she totes did.

16. Letícia June 6, 2011 at 04:50 #

A little bit of confidence/personality and this would have been one of my favourite looks of all time. I like Kristen Stewart a lot, but my god, never have I seen a girl with such talent for being worn by her dresses.

17. Bill June 6, 2011 at 04:59 #

The dress, the shoes, and just about everything works here for me. She looks smoking hot! I like how its not a typical short shiny sparkle dress most people wear from Balmain. I like the edge it gives her. I think if she pulled backed her hair she would had lost the attitude and rocker chic vibe she was trying to give. Kristen is the BEST DRESSED OF THE NIGHT with Leighton.

18. zara June 6, 2011 at 05:37 #

I know super short dresses are nothng new for kristen, in fact I want her dresses to be a little longer but I must say that I love this look. It’s easy to see that she feels confident and I hope I see this version of her at every red carpet event.

19. Emi June 6, 2011 at 08:58 #

I don’t like the shoes, it seems she has only black pumps and Converse All stars in her closet…
    The dress is gorgeous, I love that collection by Balmain, the prices are unbelievable but the collection is awsome… and I like her red hair, I want it too!

20. Ines June 6, 2011 at 09:13 #

It’s not just a feeling. You have seen that type of dress, maybe 20 times. Yes she looks pretty, because she has a very beautiful face and hit the gym but in term of style, this is nothing special at all. She put on a pretty dress. What is her stylist being paid for? Can someone tell me? She never experiment, never goes out of her comfort zone (if by comfort zone we means dresses that she doesn’t like, shoes that she can’t spend 2 hours in – she wore her vans when accepting her award). Btw you should see the after party dress of Emma Watson. Incredible.

21. Lucía June 6, 2011 at 10:39 #

I love the dress, but she makes it not work. She might be smiling, but it’s like a half fake smile.

• Julie June 6, 2011 at 13:22 #

She rarely smiles to where it reaches her eyes.

22. Rahel June 6, 2011 at 10:43 #

I like the dress but that’s the only thing she ever wears. Very forgettable. Just another way too short minidress.

23. advo June 6, 2011 at 11:08 #

Does she ever wear anything but tube dresses? Yawn.

24. ruska June 6, 2011 at 12:34 #

she was amazing!!!

25. Alina June 6, 2011 at 13:13 #

She looks great and confident.

26. Julie June 6, 2011 at 14:22 #

I’d be more impressed if she wore a dress a few inches longer and with sleeves.

27. dee June 6, 2011 at 15:31 #

love the hair and dress but the shoes could have been better.

28. neorah June 6, 2011 at 16:06 #

i love the dress, not so much the hair….it looks untidy. Btw, FC, do you have twitter?

• Fashion Critic June 6, 2011 at 17:21 #

yes it’s fashion_critic_

• neorah June 6, 2011 at 17:32 #

Thank you, I was searching for “red fashion carpet awards”

29. E June 6, 2011 at 17:44 #

She looks amazing. Seriously, who else could pull off that dress? I like the confidence and attitude. I think the hair actually goes well with the dress, it would look odd if her hair was in a neat bun or something.

30. LizLemooooon June 6, 2011 at 18:02 #

I’m not a fan at all but she looks great and yeah Balmain has been a little uninspired I think that this suits her. Those shoes are awful tho with that dress. GORGEOUS hair colour.

31. emily June 6, 2011 at 19:03 #

That dress is gorgeous and finally, she seems confident.

32. Susan June 6, 2011 at 19:52 #

Love everything about it.

33. Hisadora June 6, 2011 at 21:14 #

FINALLY.. She looks pretty awesome here! But I do wish she had opted for better shoes :(

34. HP June 6, 2011 at 21:15 #

Wait, so was that her black bra that was showing the whole time? Was it suppose to be like that?

35. Zoe June 7, 2011 at 03:52 #

When it comes to Kristen I grade on a curve. She’s standing upright and has a semblance of smile. Her hair is no longer that horrid shade of black and she’s lost the mullet. For anyone else this would be a B- but with her…

The shoes are awful though.

• mia March 11, 2012 at 23:18 #

The mullet was for a movie. She had to wear it.

36. goldfish June 7, 2011 at 11:00 #

i would love to own this dress!!

37. Anabelle June 10, 2011 at 13:47 #

I agree, this look is her trademark and she is phenomenal. She is beautiful and fits the rocker look. The hair, well, that too is her. I love her

38. hollie June 11, 2011 at 05:11 #

She looks great here! So hot and so confident. Red is absolutely her color.