30.05.11

Bleached Brows: Do or Don’t?

Most people never really focus on other’s eyebrows until they’re ridiculously over-plucked, grossly under-plucked, or completely MIA—like Claudia Schiffer‘s were at a premiere during the 2011 Cannes Film Festival.

While scrolling through the comments on Fashion Critic’s post, it was apparent that everyone knew something about her look was off, but no one could pinpoint exactly what was wrong, other than her slimmer face and trimmer waist.

No one seemed to realize the fact that her eyebrows failed to make an appearance, which contributed to her eye makeup looking a bit too harsh, and her chin seeming a bit more pronounced…

Though she just might be on to something, as Schiffer’s blanched brows are currently all the rage with the high fashion set.

Many influential designers accessorized their Spring/Summer 2011 collections with virtually invisible arches—think YSL, Nina Ricci, Rick Owens, Jason Wu, Valentino, Marc Jacobs, and Bottega Veneta, pictured below, respectively.

We’re all too happy to sit this one out, but what about you—would you ever bleach your brows?

Do you think this trend is awesomely avant garde, or too, too tacky?

Credit: Getty

, , , , , , ,

Get The Look: Natalie Dormer's Emmy Award Defined Eyes

Get The Look: Natalie Dormer’s Emmy Award Defined Eyes

An Open Letter To Kate Middleton And Her Makeup

An Open Letter To Kate Middleton And Her Makeup

30 Responses to Bleached Brows: Do or Don’t?

1. Kiki May 30, 2011 at 16:18 #

I naturally have really, really light eye brows-even though my hair is medium chestnut colored. I swear the hair is almost clear. I have struggled with them forever but get so sick of filling them in everyday. I’ve embraced my non-existant eye brows and now I actually think it looks cool. I sometimes wear bright lipstick to draw attention there instead or I just let them be.

• molly May 30, 2011 at 17:49 #

My mom barely has eyebrows, and it doesnt look bad at all. I think they look better when they are natural, because the color is natural instead of having a yellow tint. Thats probably why you look good :)

2. leele May 30, 2011 at 16:20 #

If you have noticed Blake Lively appeared like that in her final scene at the finale of season 4 of GG and it wasn’t pretty like it isn’t here too………i totally agree with you

3. Fari May 30, 2011 at 16:32 #

Beyonce has bleached it too in her new video

4. laura D May 30, 2011 at 16:48 #

I think it’s a great look on the runway and can add drama, but for everyday? I think it would be easy for it to look tacky. Especially if they are poorly bleached and orangy

• mol May 30, 2011 at 17:21 #

Exactly – special effects done for the drama of the runway hardly ever translate effectively into real life…..

• Chloe May 30, 2011 at 19:57 #

Agree

5. Naomi May 30, 2011 at 16:50 #

Like all trends this has been going on for way too long.
    I have no problems with bleached eyebrows, and it looks good on some people.
    However, now it seems that every other model is bleaching her eyebrows and the result is not pretty nor unique.
    Right now it just makes the person look like a part of the herd, following the current trend, whether it suits him or not.

6. Ilana May 30, 2011 at 17:01 #

I also know Mary-Kate Olsen had hers bleached for some while and I have a really hard time getting used to it.. And i still havn’t…..

7. Tatiana May 30, 2011 at 17:08 #

Trashy, tacky and cheap. The Kardashians surprisingly haven’t jumped on this bleached brow bandwagon.

• India-Jewel June 6, 2011 at 20:28 #

LOL. Very surprising.

8. Gaber May 30, 2011 at 17:23 #

Anya in S10 of ANTM.
    That was one of the most insane transformations (the bleached hair/eyebrows) in the show, and after a few weeks it also became one of my favourite ones.
    That goes to show that it CAN look good, but it’s probably not trend-material because of the high chance of it going really bad.
    As the ladies here demonstrate.

9. robbie May 30, 2011 at 17:34 #

bleached brows just look silly although somehow they work on claudia.

personally i would only ever bleach my eyebrows if i were to dye my hair lighter, due to being extremely dark haired it seems a little weird to have light brown hair with jet black brows.

10. Clau May 30, 2011 at 17:52 #

too tacky.
    I believe it makes your expression, so without it.. people look like bold..

11. Leah May 30, 2011 at 19:17 #

i think it only looks good on anna seleneza imo. Not a good look for claudia or the model on the left, but overall bleached eyebrows are a ‘no no’

• laura D May 30, 2011 at 20:48 #

Agreed. With her coloring, it looks almost natural, and it works.

12. Lou May 30, 2011 at 21:17 #

It seems that I’m the only one on here, who’s actually tried it out? The trend is pretty old by now, and I gave it a go last summer. You don’t have to bleach them completely you know, but it’s fun for a change. I now do it once in a while to change things up and have only received nice commente about it.

For those of you wanting to try it out I can add that it only lasts a short time, Apparantly eye brows grow fast. So I recommend starting out only bleaching them a little. Then you can see if it works for you (I’m blonde, so brunettes be careful not to go orange) and you’ll only have to live with it for under a month.

• India-Jewel June 6, 2011 at 20:32 #

Yeah, bleaching and dyeing: two totally different concepts. Yes, designers have been on to this for a while, but the trend certainly hit fever pitch last September.

13. carol May 30, 2011 at 21:53 #

I dont like this trend,but someone who is really famous in the fashion world and have no eyebrow is Lara Stone,i dont know but somehow works for her,it is a trend that almost nobody looks good.

14. Sharon May 30, 2011 at 23:13 #

After trying to prove that I really do have eyebrows all of my life, I’m not about to bleach them into extinction now. If it’s a trend, I hope it’s short-lived. Not many women look good without eyebrows. It makes me wonder, too, if at some point you would have ombre eyebrows to match your ombre hair. :)

• India-Jewel June 6, 2011 at 20:30 #

Funny you should mention that–I spoke to Pat McGrath last week who told me she fills in model’s brows in three different colors, since no one’s hair is really one tone only.

15. Leila May 30, 2011 at 23:36 #

i much prefer seeing blondes with bleached eyebrows than seeing blondes with black eyebrows… i have natural light eyebrows and in some pictures you can’t see my brows… but i truly hate when they look so much darker than my hair..

• India-Jewel June 6, 2011 at 20:30 #

D.I.T.T.O.

16. Raquel May 31, 2011 at 04:31 #

I think it’s one thing to have really really light eyebrows – Paul Bettany and Kevin McKidd come to mind, I know both men, but I couldn’t come up with any woman that hasn’t been mentioned before – and another to bleach them and keep it fresh and “natural”.

Bleached eyebrows works better, IMO, with more polished looks, more fhashion-ish looks. They don’t convince me for an everyday routine.

17. Giuseppi Giraffe May 31, 2011 at 04:38 #

Didn’t Lady Gaga do the bleached brows in Vogue a few months back? I think the look is a little ghastly if it isn’t perfect, so I wouldn’t experiment, but my sister has very pale eyebrows and lashes, and they look good on her, so I’m thinking it could work. Actually, I like the avante garde nature to it, but it would be a little strange to do all the time.

Plus, I wouldn’t want to mess with my brows too much, since eyebrows can be a little testy about growing back. Too much commitment…

18. goldfish May 31, 2011 at 08:51 #

i think it depends what the person looks like. on some, it looks great, on others it makes them look sick

19. ayishaa May 31, 2011 at 09:21 #

Its a trend that is a big DON’T IMO. If u were born with non existent eyebrows or eyebrows that are so light that it blends into Ur skin( u can choose to leave it like that or fill them in). But I really don’t think bleaching out eyebrows makes any sense. As for high fashion shows, anything works from raccoon eyes to bald head to six inch heels.

20. Louise May 31, 2011 at 10:39 #

I think bleaching a bit lighter to suit your hair is fine, but this bleaching into non existence thing is getting ridiculous. They frame a face. I remember seeing a Vogue US shoot where they’d drawn Lara Stone’s eyebrows back in and she looked stunning. I hope this trend departs the runway and editorials soon.

21. Lucía June 1, 2011 at 11:48 #

Well it doesn’t look strange on Claudia because she is really blonde, but I don’t like it in the models and it would look awful on mine!

22. bianca June 12, 2011 at 21:32 #

like every trend, you should embrace it only if it fits you.I have some non-existant brows but now I’m a blonde and it looks way better than it did before, with my natural chestnut color.so maybe it works for blondes only