Michelle Obama In Ralph Lauren – Royal Dinner

President Barack Obama and Michelle Obama hosted a dinner for the Queen at Winfield House, the residence of the Ambassador of the United States of America, in Regent’s Park this evening dressed in their finest eveningwear after a long day of visits, politics, hand-shaking, motivational speaking and meetings.

Michelle looked stunning wearing a Ralph Lauren Fall 2011 elegant black gown with a portrait neckline.

The black satin wrap around bodice is met by a long black crepe skirt.

Not many people can out bling the Queen, but Mrs O does wearing a breath-taking necklace with a matching bracelet and an emerald ring.

I prefer this Ralph Lauren gown to the Tom Ford gown as it more dramatic and sophisticated.

Which do you prefer?

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Michelle Obama In Alexander McQueen - University of Oxford

Michelle Obama In Alexander McQueen – University of Oxford

Fergie In BCBG Max Azria Atelier - 2011 FiFi Awards

Fergie In BCBG Max Azria Atelier – 2011 FiFi Awards

69 Responses to Michelle Obama In Ralph Lauren – Royal Dinner

1. Tatiana May 25, 2011 at 23:30 #

This is so boring. This is Angelina Jolie territory. BEWARE Michelle!

2. Luis May 25, 2011 at 23:37 #

I hate her style, because the clothes don’t flatter her body. She looks like have 20 more pounds than she actually has.

• Tatiana May 25, 2011 at 23:41 #

I agree. Her Jason Wu Inauguration Ball made her look like a fat cake and her Isabel Toldeo yellow dress and embellished coat made her look frumpy. She has a long history of unflattering clothes. She really should wear Donna Karan clothing (especially Donna’s draped dresses) as her draping is brilliant and often for curvy women. What do you think FC?

• Fashion Critic May 25, 2011 at 23:56 #

I can’t believe you said she looks like a fat cake.

I’m really disgusted by your comment to be honest. Not everyone is a size 2.

• Luis May 26, 2011 at 00:10 #

I have to say that she has a wonderful body, but she doesn’t take any advantage of that. She chooses clothes that make her look so manly and outdated. I think alse her posture isn’t the best, her shoulder always pulled down and always doesn’t know what to do with her hands.

And let’s not talk about her frightning kitten heels that she insist to wear…

Mrs O next time make me a call and don’t forget to straighten your back! :)

• Manja May 26, 2011 at 13:40 #

agree with you FC 100%

• michelle May 26, 2011 at 01:20 #

* insert major side-eye* * insert blank stare*

• jill March 16, 2012 at 17:14 #

i think she’s stunning.maybe you are the one who look like a fat cake and frumpy.i love how she love her curvy body.not like the others,starving till death just because want to be size 2 or whatever.

• Gigi May 25, 2011 at 23:47 #

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? ARE WE LOOKING AT THE SAME PHOTO??

• Fashion Critic May 25, 2011 at 23:48 #

I’m in total agreement with you

• Pati May 26, 2011 at 10:39 #

Same here! I think she looks stunning! And the Tom Ford gown was equally beautiful! I actually think quite the opposite than Louis and Tatiana- I think she picks clothes that enhance her curves and are rather feminie! This is one of the most stylish First Ladies America ever had. I much prfer her style to Hilary Clinton´s pantsuits (although I´m a big fan of Hilary nonetheless). And I love that she can wear high streen and expensive and look equally beautiful and comfortable in both.

• Matt May 25, 2011 at 23:56 #

Oh Please, even your forefathers don’t believe that.

3. Gigi May 25, 2011 at 23:41 #

She is breathtaking. And this dress plays up her fabulous tiny upper torso. The bling is perfect. I guess I prefer tonight’s dress… but both outfits made me very proud of our FLOTUS.

• PamG May 26, 2011 at 01:57 #

I agree! She accentuates the positive here by putting emphasis (texture and shine) on her sculpted upper half. The portrait neckline and matte a-line bottom balances out her body nicely and draws you to look at her beautiful face. Her make-up, hair and accessories are very polished and classy. She is a class act!

• Kaz May 26, 2011 at 12:27 #

Couldn’t agree more! I totally love this. BDOTW please FC, to hell with the haters!

4. Rebecca May 25, 2011 at 23:44 #

I think she looks great. Gorgeous dress, interesting necklace. Somehow she doesn’t look exhausted in spite of all this go, go, go.

5. Rory May 25, 2011 at 23:50 #

Luis oh please you’re being ridiculous! UGH! FC I prefer the Tom Ford look. We’ve seen this (stunning) look before at the Time 100 dinner in New York in 2009. The Tom Ford look was high wattage glamour turned all the way up. Who knows when we will see her dressed like that again. This is a typical formal event look for her. Plus – it’s Tom Ford. That alone is worth 100 cool points.

• Fashion Critic May 25, 2011 at 23:57 #

noted for the BDOTW poll… :)

Anyone else.

• NooG May 26, 2011 at 01:25 #

I’m in for BDOTW. Btw, let’s look at this site, shall we?

Somehow I don’t see “manly” or “fat cake” anywhere…

• Manja May 26, 2011 at 13:26 #

thx you NooG for that.she is a gorgeus women and one with a great style and that’s evident from the photos.and this look is abs stunning from head to toe,BDOTW for me too.I liked TomFord’s look as well.

• mol May 26, 2011 at 01:42 #

I really liked the Tom Ford, but I have to say I prefer the Ralph Lauren overall, she looks so sophisticated here and her jewelry is to die for! Also, I keep looking at your bottom pix of the first lady – I see a tiny waist and lovely hips, her shape is gorgeous and I would kill to be so tall and elegant looking (i’m not American so this is not a case of national pride…) Personally, I think Luis needs to clean his glasses!

She really deserves to be on the BDOTW poll IMO.

• ahot May 26, 2011 at 09:11 #

Of course BDOTW! What else? She is just divine in this.
        Oh & guys, can we keep it classy when we comment on people´s look? Thanks. No need to insult anyone here. We all come to this site because it´s all about fashion.
        This ain´t TMZ, #iamjustsaying

• Fashion Critic May 26, 2011 at 09:30 #

totally.

• Luis May 26, 2011 at 00:14 #

I don’t think that she looked bad here, but i can’t understand how much praise for her style… And when you try clothes do not look to see if the clothing enhances your attributes? I don’t think this dress favors their hips.

• Gigi May 26, 2011 at 00:45 #

Luis, you’re maddening! First you say this look makes her look 20 lb heavier. Then you say her clothes make her look manly? outdated? I think she wears small heels because she is so tall. Not sure what you mean by “favors their hips”. Do you mean the dress makes her hips look smaller? or larger? May I ask where you live?

• Luis May 26, 2011 at 01:07 #

Larger…What I’m saying in this post it’s not just related to this dress, but in general. But I think in this visit to London, this is the ocassion where she is best dressed.

6. Vera May 25, 2011 at 23:54 #

Fabulous.

7. Matt May 25, 2011 at 23:58 #

Poor Queen Elizabeth, she might as well not have been in the photo lol. I think Michelle looks fantastic, an American first lady hasn’t looked this good in a while.

8. Talei L May 26, 2011 at 00:03 #

I thought she looked great tonight, but I LOVED her in Tom Ford last night. Stunning.

9. mm May 26, 2011 at 00:13 #

Wow on some of these comments. So if you aren’t a 0, 2 your fat. Michelle Obama is gorgeous, very elegant, graceful and FIT. She is not fat in any way. She is pear shaped and dresses according to her body type at all times.

I prefer the Tom Ford look

10. Shop Liquorice May 26, 2011 at 00:16 #

Good Lord! Stopped breathing for a second. Michelle, Michelle, Michelle…

11. Yaas May 26, 2011 at 00:30 #

I love this one more, may be because of her stunning jewelry.
    And I can not believe those comments about she is not being like a skinny rectangular. I think she is fit and stunning.

12. Redseouls May 26, 2011 at 00:31 #

Pres. and Mrs. O look very elegant! I love Mrs. O’s dress!

13. mari May 26, 2011 at 01:02 #

loved her in the white gown, but the upper part of this dress is fabulous. I wish my wais looked like that, but nah, in no part of my family treewaists exist :(

• ahot May 26, 2011 at 09:18 #

lol, i know this feeling so well!

14. pam May 26, 2011 at 02:02 #

I think she looks great. That neckline suits her. In the first picture you can’t tell where the dress ends and the background starts. But in the second picture you can clearly see her and I think she looks good. If that’s fat cakes, then I want some!

• Kaz May 26, 2011 at 12:30 #

I am now in hysterics, thanks Pam – pass the fat cakes! :)

15. mikeijames May 26, 2011 at 02:08 #

i love the tom ford dress for a number of reasons. first, i love that she knows her fashion stuff. second, she always look so radiant in white. she looks good here — although i like the fit of the skirt on the tom ford better.

16. CreoleLady May 26, 2011 at 02:26 #

Tough call. Ralph Lauren went OTT into cowboy land in one of his more recent collections, so I had no idea he had something as wearable as this. Chic.

But I fell in love with that creamy ivory vision of beauty that was the FLOTUS in a perfectly fitting Tom Ford, another designer who has not exactly stood out for me.

For those designers who look at s woman like the First Lady of the United States and see fat cakes and 20 pounds extra like luis and tatiana, beware. For those designers who design for the size 0 woman with no hips, no waist, no curves and no color, I most certainly will not be patronizing your business. Too long have I had to have tailors on speed dial because dresses are made straight down like I am a boy.

17. robbie May 26, 2011 at 02:48 #

it would have been perfect without the necklace as the necklace seems quite distracting. but she looks great though.

18. Rebecca May 26, 2011 at 03:19 #

Well! This is a very interesting set of comments. I think Michelle Obama does so much to promote a healthy attitude about shape and size for young women, and for older women, too. She doesn’t have a perfect figure and she is not the current feminine ideal. But one of the things I love about her is that she wears all sorts of different styles, isn’t afraid to let us see her body and its shape, and is healthy and fit. I think she looks wonderful and is a great role model!

• Pati May 26, 2011 at 10:45 #

Completely agree!

19. rawda May 26, 2011 at 03:48 #

Agree, FC! I’m head over heels in love with this look which is crazy as that was the case with her tom ford look! i do prefer this one, though! this woman is on fire! HOT! it’s gonna be heartbreaking choosing between her and rihanna’s max azria this week ;)

20. Taylor May 26, 2011 at 04:28 #

Can’t wait to see which you pick for BDOTW because I can’t decide. Both are worthy.

21. roxana May 26, 2011 at 06:32 #

i love them both!

22. Marie May 26, 2011 at 06:52 #

Love, love, LOVE the necklace!

23. noo May 26, 2011 at 09:03 #

i love this look and think it’s bdotw worthy because 1) the neckline and color are far better imo than anything she’s worn on this trip and 2) because this is something that really flatters her body t

PS: i disagree with people who called her a fatcake or frumpy but i do think that she should dress to better suit her body type

24. ahot May 26, 2011 at 09:16 #

It´s funny how she & the Queen keep wearing similar colors! (This time, emeralds) lol.
    I do not always agree with everything Lady O wears, but she did good on this trip…

25. ayishaa May 26, 2011 at 09:32 #

I honestly don’t believe someone called her fat. She looks so fir and toned and she loves wearing dresses that show off her body. This is no exception and she looks great.

26. couturecoco May 26, 2011 at 09:52 #

THIS is MUCH MUCH more like it! This is true elegance, totally in keeping with her own personal style AND flattering her figure beautifully.
    I LOVE this off the should look on her and the way the dropped waist balances out her short torso. With the jewels I give this look a perfect 10!

27. Emer May 26, 2011 at 10:16 #

Who is her necklace by? Amazing!!

28. Emi May 26, 2011 at 10:32 #

After reading all the comments, I would like to say that sometimes Mrs Obama is judged more for her personality, I mean, sometimes people, in this blog and somewhere else judge her style regardless of what she wears, because of who she is, and I’m not talking about the fatc that she’s the First Lady. She’s doubtless a successful woman, from many point of views. Said that, I think that sometimes she dresses in a way that doesn’t enhance her body and in some photos her posture is not so good. The cropped jacket she wore the other day has been critisized in Italy, because it fitted her quite bad and, as I wrote in my comment, she’s too tall and imposing to wear something like that. I also think that there’re more offensive comments about other celebrities, here, but for Michelle maybe someone is more touchy.
    Said all that, I prefer this dress to the Tom Ford’s maybe because I prefer her accessories, I love the necklace.

• couturecoco May 26, 2011 at 12:55 #

I agree with most of what you said. But having a style and confidence to wear clothes in the way you want to is to be applauded. There are rules about dressing for your particular shape and height but who can or wants to be a slave to this 24/7? Why should there be a height restriction or a bolero jacket?

• couturecoco May 26, 2011 at 12:56 #

For a wearing a bolero jacket?

• Emi May 26, 2011 at 13:57 #

First of all, I think that the bolero jacket was quite ugly, apart from who wears it. I understand what you mean, but many times here, people writes that this or that is not right for a certain person because she’s short, she has big breasts, small breast… I think that all the “fuss” about this post was a bit too much. When Carla Bruni Sarkozy visited Buckingham Place years ago a lot of people commented about her Dior outfit, loving it or hating it. I guess visiting England has this effect (I’m joking).

29. Emi May 26, 2011 at 10:35 #

Also, being a size 2 is not a crime, and size 2 doesn’t mean to look like a boy, this is offensive, too.

30. Alina May 26, 2011 at 13:10 #

This is soooooo much better.

31. Lara May 26, 2011 at 13:44 #

Both looks were lovely, but this just seems to flatter a bit more, even though it is in black. RLauren for BDOTW!!

32. Camille May 26, 2011 at 13:47 #

She looks amazing. I’m sure all eyes in the room were on Mrs. O. Elegant and glamourous, not over the top, she hit just the right note to do America proud. Going to totally ignore the hateful critiques as they are meaningless when applied to our lovely First Lady. She has really shined on this UK trip and I love both looks so much it is impossible to choose. Can both looks be BDOTW??

• Fashion Critic May 26, 2011 at 14:10 #

Im going to put both in as the split is very equal

33. fromchi-town May 26, 2011 at 14:23 #

I think she looks fabulous here. Very elegant and the bling is great. But loved her Tom Ford too. I can’t decide which one I liked better.

34. rebecca o May 26, 2011 at 16:22 #

I love the tom ford dress the best.

35. bb May 26, 2011 at 16:54 #

OH GOD

I WOULD KILL FOR HER NECKLACE

And she looks damn fine. Totally agree that everybody is not size 2. She’s naturally big built. So what. Deal with it. Haters gonna hate I suppose

36. Sharon May 26, 2011 at 19:40 #

The discussions on this blog are usually different from the often cruel and disrespectful comments in most other websites. I hope that doesn’t change.

As far as our First Lady and her London wardrobe are concerned, I think she’s done a wonderful job and this dress is my absolute favorite. The neckline is so perfect for her, and I love the necklace. I’m definitely in on the BDOTW vote.

• Fashion Critic May 26, 2011 at 19:45 #

It will never change. I only posted that “fat cake” comment because I HAD to reply as it was so ridiculous.

37. DivaMom May 27, 2011 at 04:11 #

My First Lady is beautiful and looks lovely AS ALWAYS.

38. Pascale May 27, 2011 at 04:25 #

I do agree that people are really ”touchy feely” when it comes to Mrs. O. I see negative comments about various looks on this website daily, but somehow because of who she is (and of the sympathy she widely inspires people) you can’t criticize her style without beeing jump at. Or it might be a size matter ?

I, for one, don’t like it. I think she often overblings it, and I find her shoulders too broad for an off the shoulder/sweetheart neckline. That being said, I do think it’s her best look from this trip.

39. Rhonda May 27, 2011 at 22:46 #

Who pays for all of her stuff. Remember these are people who couldn’t finance they’re own house without Tony Reszo who is now sitting in prison for his dirty deeds.

40. Yvonne January 25, 2013 at 07:00 #

I am so wanting this gown for my son ‘s June 2013 wedding – Help I want this gown or a knock -off