Michelle Obama In Barbara Tfank – Buckingham Palace State Visit

First Lady Michelle Obama and US President Barack Obama were greeted by the Queen as they arrive at Buckingham Palace today in London.

The Obama’s are in town for a two day State Visit thanks to a special invitation from the Queen.

During the trip they will attend a state banquet at Buckingham Palace and the President will address both houses of parliament at Westminster Hall.

Michelle opted for a cropped jacket instead of a cardigan today with her Barbara Tfank Resort 2011 dress.

I love the floral print dress, but I really don’t like the cropped jacket.

The pop of colour is very much her style, it’s the way it flares out at the back which I object to.

Newlyweds Prince William and Catherine Middleton were both at the Palace to greet the Obama’s.

Catherine is following the Queen’s lead by carrying a bag whilst being at home.

Being married to a Prince hasn’t changed her style, as she’s still championing the high street by wearing a Reiss Shola bandage dress.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Best Of Cannes Film Festival 2011

Best Of Cannes Film Festival 2011

Michelle Obama In Preen - Air Force One

Michelle Obama In Preen – Air Force One

42 Responses to Michelle Obama In Barbara Tfank – Buckingham Palace State Visit

1. jui ho May 24, 2011 at 14:45 #

Well…. there you go. She champion affordable clothes might render her the THE people’s Princess! She is stunning….

2. Lee Ann May 24, 2011 at 14:57 #

I don’t mind the jacket from the front although don’t think that pink is necessary the pop of colour that this dress needs. From the side its just plain wrong. Sometimes she tries to be a little too sassy and it just doesn’t work.
    I really wish that Kate although looking perfectly fine in Reiss would champion British designers-they need the global attention.

3. Tania May 24, 2011 at 14:59 #

I don’t like how the jacket flares out at the back also.

4. AW May 24, 2011 at 15:06 #

I don’t mind the jacket from the front but I agree that the flare looks odd.

I would love see Mrs. Obama in tall heels, she’s already stunning and that would put her over the top!

5. Tatiana May 24, 2011 at 15:12 #

Kate Middleton- or whatever her last name is now, looks so snoozeville. Her dress doesn’t do anything for her. She has an overrated style.
    Michelle Obama looks so frumpy, especially with the jacket and those cardigans. Her style is overrated too, though I do like the Barbra Tfank dress alone on someone younger for a 1950’s housewife look. On Michelle it’s frumpy.

6. Marvel May 24, 2011 at 15:24 #

I like the colour but no the style. I have the same Reiss dress as Kate. Although I wear mine with cream pumps ;)

7. Raquel May 24, 2011 at 15:24 #

Michelle: It’s a pretty dress, but the jacket doesn’t work for me. I don’t even mind the style that much, though I agree it kind of clashes with the dress cut. It’s the color that annoys me… I don’t think the pink work, at all.

Kate: Black pumps, really? No, no and no. And is it just me or she getting thinner and thinner. Go eat Kate. Royalty doesn’t need another Letizia.

As always, Barack Obama is the best dressed person in the room. Just saying.

8. Lara May 24, 2011 at 15:34 #

I really dislike that dress entirely, and with the cardigan it’s worse yet. I’m a fan of most things Mrs. O wears, but I always dislike seeing her in A-lines for some reason, even though I know they’re meant to flatter so called “pear-shapes”. Just too much flare flare everywhere

9. Courteney May 24, 2011 at 15:35 #

Kate looks stunning! She is a real beauty. I think Prince William so debonair.

I’m not wild about the First Lady’s look. Appears frumpy.

10. Devika May 24, 2011 at 15:38 #

While the back flare is odd, Mrs Obama looks fresh and Springtime chic. Strangely, I keep wishing for Kate and Michelle to have swapped dresses! Does anyone else wish this, I wonder. And Kate’s look would be wonderful with some copper-toned shiny heels.

• Fashion Critic May 24, 2011 at 15:45 #

yes, a swap would’ve been welcomed

• juliet May 24, 2011 at 17:58 #

Great idea!
      But only for the dress withou that jacket.

11. Amy May 24, 2011 at 15:41 #

I actually love Michelle’s dress, but I hate the jacket. I’d love to see the dress on its own.

Kate is looking way too thin. I had hoped that maybe after the pre-wedding diet she might gain a little bit of weight back.

12. Dahlia May 24, 2011 at 15:46 #

I think those are the same black pumps thate Kate wore to announce their engagement to the press…

13. Jen May 24, 2011 at 16:00 #

I like Michelle’s dress, and the jacket is ok. The shoes, though, are hideous! Such a pretty dress and such .. frumpy, ugly shoes. Not a fan.

I like Kate’s look. It’s not super interesting but it works for her. I don’t mind black pumps with a nude/beige dress. It’s conservative, but that’s her style. It’s not ugly, at least.

14. Rebecca May 24, 2011 at 16:14 #

Minority report! I love the pink jacket on Mrs. Obama–it is fun and chic at the same time in my opinion. Mrs. Obama has to be careful about shoes given her height–can’t you hear the press if she were running around the world towering over her husband?

• Gigi May 24, 2011 at 16:46 #

I love it too, Rebecca. And the length does something wonderful for her legs. Kate, on the other hand is a wisp of a woman.. and from the side (seen on another site) looks anorexic. Eat, Girl, EAT.

• Rebecca May 24, 2011 at 17:05 #

Yes, I wish Kate would gain a few pounds

• Fiona May 25, 2011 at 03:31 #

You are not alone! I actually like the jacket, from the side as it flares out it shows off the small of her back and her waist rather than a box shape. I love how she wears ladylike vintage dresses sometimes, quite Doris Day in a way. Princess Catherine’s dress is nice but she does need to gain some of the weight she lost before the wedding.

15. robbie May 24, 2011 at 16:36 #

the dress looks like it belongs in a little girls closet or the closet of a woman from the 50s. the cropped jacket looks like it was made by a little kid.

kate looks alright a bit plain but she seems to like keeping it simple.

but the queen as always looks incredible. possibly one of the best dress women in the world (in my opinion)

16. DivaMom May 24, 2011 at 17:16 #

She looks appropriate given the occasion. Our first lady rocks it each and every time.

17. LizLemooooon May 24, 2011 at 17:29 #

Kate looks boring and a bit too thin as usual. Fabulous hair tho. She really doesn’t have any style, she needs a stylist.
    Michelle looks great and I think that jacket would look great on her just on a different outfit. She could give Kate a few tips on how to dress in a youthful, fun while still being classy and chic.

• Emi May 24, 2011 at 21:09 #

I read that she actually has at least 3 image advisers (and she has them since she’s been taking part of official events with Prince William). Since I also read that also C. Devy is classy and chic (yes, it’s true, i read it) I think that if you date a Prince, you have the right to be considered a fashionista…

18. Julie May 24, 2011 at 17:33 #

Michelle’s dress would look better without the jacket. Kate looks flawless.

19. Vidhya May 24, 2011 at 18:56 #

I’m loving the upholstery in the palace and William looks too sharp for words.. This is the first time I’m seeing Kate and Michelle together.. score for Kate..

20. Luis May 24, 2011 at 19:00 #

Her feet look enormous and her dress seems like curtains!

21. Megan May 24, 2011 at 19:42 #

Kate possibly has the worst shoe collection I’ve only seen her wear 2 different pairs.I feel she doesn’t have any style and basically just always looks presentable.
    Just wondering I love the high street and it looks good but if you were able to wouldn’t one wear designer?

• Lily May 24, 2011 at 22:01 #

Designer dresses are really expensive unless you’re uber rich. Kate has no income and William isn’t rich to the point he can shell out tons of money on his wife’s clothes. Also, as a member of the Royal Family, Kate can’t take freebies or discounted clothes like celebrities. She’s expected to pay. Regardless, neither of them seem to care about money that much, which is nice to see, and the are probably pointedly not being ostentatious at a time people are struggling.

Funny enough, most people thought that Kate was wearing Victoria Beckham until they found out differently. Why buy expensive when you can wear a designer looking dress for cheap (if you consider 175 pounds cheap)? ;)

Overall, I think they both look great and should hang out more often.

• Clover May 25, 2011 at 00:55 #

Beautifully said Lily.

• Vidhya May 25, 2011 at 14:51 #

loving the reply

22. Emi May 24, 2011 at 21:00 #

The cropped jacket of M. Obama is quite ugly and doesn’t do nothing for her, she’s tall and quite imposing-looking, I don’t like tiny jackets on her. I prefer the original version of the dress with the frontal bow. Honestly, I think that carrying a bag at home is quite ridiculous, it’s protocol, ok, but still nonsense. I’ve always thought that Kate Middleton’s style was overrated and I haven’t change my mind. I appreciate that she buys affordable clothes but I think she’s very stuck up.

23. molly May 24, 2011 at 21:58 #

Love the dress but I hate the jacket. Kate looks good, but her dress looks too loose. And I would have put her in a purple or red shoes. She could take a cue from Mrs. O with the pop of color.

24. Ella May 24, 2011 at 22:07 #

Personally, I would have loved Mrs. Obama to have gone without the jacket….but maybe for meeting the Queen, it would not have been appropriate.

Here, Kate looks very skinny….and I love Kate. I wish she had done a different color

25. Redseouls May 25, 2011 at 00:25 #

I like everything about Mrs. Obama’s look except for her hair.

26. Jazz May 25, 2011 at 00:25 #

michelle has much better fashion sense than kate anyday. i know alot of people will be in uproar about that comment but its true. kate does dress well and she’s always put together, but the first lady mixes it up and looks like she really has fun with fashion. i actually don’t mind Michelle’s jacket, she was probably bored with cardigans. i do love the dress though

27. Clover May 25, 2011 at 01:00 #

I’ve read that carrying a bag helps so you know what to do with your hands. It’s funny when you see celebs being photographed and they DON’T know what to do with their hands, it looks all awkward. I think Kate’s doing a smashing job!

FC I really appreciate that you comment on the clothes and not their personal lives or weight. Thanks for keeping on track, it makes this blog a really nice place to hang out!

• Fashion Critic May 25, 2011 at 01:11 #

You are welcome. It’s very deliberate and I’m glad you appreciate that

• Vidhya May 25, 2011 at 14:53 #

lol… good point.. she is freely gesticulating with her hands though :)

28. e May 25, 2011 at 04:56 #

i know this is off topic … but what the heck do you think kate and mrs O are talking about?! kate’s hand gesture is intriguiing!

29. mikeijames May 25, 2011 at 12:50 #

count me with the minority here: if she wore the dress without the jacket, she would almost MATCH the queen. seriously, both wearing floral dresses both in the same color palette. the jacket not only asserts michelle obama’s fashion edge (she’s conversant in tom ford and alexander mcqueen for pete’s sake), but it shows her youthfulness and playfulness.

as for kate (remember when kate referred to that other iconic british kate?), i am absolutely in love with her dress and her look. she’s established herself as even more of a princess of the people than her (late) mother in law! just like michelle rocks j. crew with such flourish, i think kate should keep with this. i just hope she begins to mix in some of the high-end designers with her high street looks.

30. pam May 25, 2011 at 17:04 #

I don’t think William and Kate live at Buckingham Palace.

31. pipsqueak May 26, 2011 at 04:48 #

William looks worse than he did when he was in college, b/c he’s balding. Kate, on the contrary, looks better than she did back in college days, for she’s much slimmer. I’m sorry to say this, but my aesthetic sense is very much shaped up by the high fashion world. I think Kate looks good. Nothing too stylish, but maybe that’s her. Michelle is as hot as always.