18.05.11

Charlotte Gainsbourg – 2011 Cannes Film Festival “Melancholia” Premiere

Charlotte Gainsbourg joined Kiki on the red carpet for the “Melancholia” Premiere during the 2011 Cannes Film Festival this evening.

From the sheer dress to the exposed bra this look makes me feel really uncomfortable.

Sorry if that makes me sound like a 50s housewife.

Bryce Dallas Howard and Tang Wei you have been saved.

Credit: Getty

53 Comments
Kirsten Dunst In Rodarte - 2011 Cannes Film Festival "Melancholia" Premiere

Kirsten Dunst In Rodarte – 2011 Cannes Film Festival “Melancholia” Premiere

Jodie Foster In Balenciaga - 2011 Cannes Film Festival "Melancholia" Premiere

Jodie Foster In Balenciaga – 2011 Cannes Film Festival “Melancholia” Premiere

53 Responses to Charlotte Gainsbourg – 2011 Cannes Film Festival “Melancholia” Premiere

1. LizLemooooon May 18, 2011 at 22:15 #

Okay while I would NEVER EVER recommend this or where it myself…I think she’s kind of pulling it off. It looks sexy but edgy. It’s very different. I don’t know if I’d immediately say I hate it but I don’t even know why I’m saying that, I’m not that big a fan of Charlotte Gainsbourg so…
    It looks very uhh…French. I don’t know what else to say!

*thinks*
    Okay it is quite bad, if it hadn’t been sheer but had still been this style I’d have loved it. As it is it seems…awkward. I still don’t hate it tho : / Maybe I need to get some sleep!

• Linda May 19, 2011 at 02:29 #

I sympathize with your mixed feelings. I share them. Somehow she pulls it off in a way…

2. OZALES May 18, 2011 at 22:15 #

This is just wrong…. in so many ways. What was she thinking?

• Sleepless in Chicago September 1, 2014 at 17:17 #

Grotesque, shocking! Completely wrong on all levels. Wearing this while being pregnant – ouch! I have never seen her wear anything that would look half way decent.

3. Beinta May 18, 2011 at 22:16 #

Ouch.. I understand you so well. I’m embarrassed on her behalf! What is this??

4. pam May 18, 2011 at 22:18 #

She looks like she is in a nightie. And a naughty one at that. Even without the baby belly this would be all kinds of wrong.

5. couturecoco May 18, 2011 at 22:19 #

Just what is going on here? There’s a million ways to dress your bump but not like this!

6. Paddy M May 18, 2011 at 22:20 #

Don’t worry FC, you don’t sound like a 50s housewife. I’ve nothing against risque outfits or nudity, but I can’t stand exposed bras on the red carpet. It looks so sloppy. The sheer fabric too, the loose draping, the messy hair, I’m so unimpressed.

I know it’s intentional, but it just doesn’t serve a purpose. Is she trying to make us think she doesn’t care? No-one who bothers to turn up on a red carpet can convince me of that.

She looks like a swat team ran into her hotel room to get her out of bed and she had 10 seconds to do her hair, make-up and outfit.

7. Emma May 18, 2011 at 22:21 #

i would actually go as far as saying this hurts my eyes…not quite sure why she would leave her hotel thinking she looked ok, but this look is not appropriate for even walking down the street let alone a Cannes premiere!

8. justine r May 18, 2011 at 22:21 #

At least she IS pregnant. Bryce Dallas Howard just looked like she is pregnant.

• Fashion Critic May 18, 2011 at 22:27 #

lol…good point :D

• Sleepless in Chicago September 1, 2014 at 17:18 #

Being pregnant does not excuse her from having a good taste and respecting anyone looking at her.

9. cartouche May 18, 2011 at 22:29 #

id on her shoes?
    i am glad she didn’t go the safe route by wearing something with an empire waist/super drapey. if it was anyone besides charlotte i definitely would’ve said NO but her style is edgy and i am glad she is showing off her beautiful pregnant belly!

10. dee May 18, 2011 at 22:35 #

Why, why, why? This is just tacky. From the exposed bra to the horrendous shoes. You got to wonder what made her think this was okay to wear out in public. There are ways to show off your pregnant belly without looking trashy.

11. Incroyable May 18, 2011 at 22:44 #

Mess

12. Moxie May 18, 2011 at 22:44 #

That is just wrong.

• Moxie May 18, 2011 at 22:46 #

Looks like she put a sheer peignor on over her bra and panties.

• bas May 18, 2011 at 23:16 #

definitely…. how she could go out of her hotelroom looking like that, I’ll never understand.

• artemis May 19, 2011 at 20:30 #

iiiikss!!!

13. fashion-mommy May 18, 2011 at 22:57 #

This looks like the sort of sexy negligee that a very pregnant women might wear when she wants a bit of rumpy pumpy!

14. Tahj May 18, 2011 at 23:32 #

Ugh, no Charlotte Gainsbourg, no. Wish I could get a better picture of Kirsten Dunst’s dress because it looks like it’s an incredible dramatic look. Love her style.

15. Claire May 18, 2011 at 23:34 #

This gettup, plus the fact that the delish’ Alexander Skarsgard was apparently not present at Cannes to defend his movie – Melancholia indeed !

16. Cara May 18, 2011 at 23:54 #

no words can describe how bad this is

• sonia May 19, 2011 at 00:06 #

I have one sickness!!

• Cara May 19, 2011 at 03:11 #

it kinda looked like someone woke her up and said your running late! so she left the house in your pyjamas and threw on some heels

17. Jess May 18, 2011 at 23:55 #

just so, so bad. why didn’t anyone tell her not to go out like this?!

18. Giuseppi Giraffe May 18, 2011 at 23:58 #

Yeah this isn’t working.

19. Kaylie May 19, 2011 at 00:42 #

Worst I’ve seen at Cannes this year… or last year.

• Fashion Critic May 19, 2011 at 00:49 #

or the year before that :D

• Sleepless in Chicago September 1, 2014 at 17:20 #

…or ever. Cannot top this!

20. Tatiana May 19, 2011 at 00:48 #

I was like WTF when I saw this. It is great that Charlotte feels sexy about being prgenant, but this is inexcusable to anyone. Not even Cate Blanchett would get a pass on this look. Now that proves that this look is a failure!

21. Laura May 19, 2011 at 01:01 #

Easily the worst look of Cannes. An unlined dress like this is best suited for editorials. I’d prefer her in what Bryce wore. lol even though I hated it on Bryce.

22. Julie May 19, 2011 at 02:29 #

Ugh. No. Sloppy and unflattering.

23. Alicat May 19, 2011 at 02:42 #

Baby bumps are beautiful and women should feel rightly proud of them, but that doesn’t mean a woman needs to expose herself like this. She looks like she forgot to finish getting dressed. Altogether, this look is in extremely poor taste.

24. Lizzie May 19, 2011 at 03:28 #

Cannot understand why she would choose this dress?

25. mochababe73 May 19, 2011 at 04:28 #

Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words. I just don’t care to read or hear about them.

26. Fiona May 19, 2011 at 04:30 #

Yuk – worst dressed of the year. Just being Charlotte Gainsbourg does not give you carte blanche to throw social decorum out of the window. I know pregnancy isn’t a time to be ashamed of your body, but to flaunt yourself so brazenly is beyond words.
    The bra itself is tiny and inappropriate and the sheer dress/negligee thing is beyond inappropriate. If people didn’t like Natalie Portman’s satin dress at the SAGS because it was a little tight what will they say about this. I’m surprised she wasn’t arrested, even in France.

27. Raquel May 19, 2011 at 05:39 #

The things even if she wasn’t pregnant, this look would be tacky and cheap and like a pegnoir. I’m no prude and I don’t a pregnant woman should cover her belly in shame, but there are places and occasion.

28. Emi May 19, 2011 at 06:53 #

This look is so tasteless, not vulgar because Charlotte isn’t and can pull off almost everything outfit. Most of us agree with you and we’re not 50s housewives. If the dress wasn’t sheer maybe I would have like it, even with the exposed bra. It’s tasteless, anyway, and I don’t understand why some women want to expose something of curse very evident, but so private.

29. Lee Ann May 19, 2011 at 09:14 #

Tasteless but I always think she looks a bit grubby.

30. Pati May 19, 2011 at 09:34 #

I felt exactly the same when I saw this! This is ridiculous.

• manja May 19, 2011 at 09:51 #

ditto

31. slashdot May 19, 2011 at 11:28 #

It’s so strange because I’m normally all for having the bump covered, but yes, because she is Charlotte Gainsbourg it somehow, mysteriously works!
    It’s quirky, it’s unusual, she obviously feels confident enough to pull this off. She definitely could have looked a lot better, but let’s just assume the hormones affected her.
    And what I do like are the sandals. Cool colours!

32. Gaber May 19, 2011 at 11:51 #

I don’t object to this look, but you need to have nice tits to pull it off. So if you have breast that DEMAND support or you are unwilling to show them – then you shouldn’t be wearing this.

The bra kills it.

33. cindy May 19, 2011 at 14:18 #

Wow…i think I just caught morning sickness just by looking at this picture… there are nmo words to describe how tacky this looks… sheer….bra…. pregnant! It’s a big no no in my book.

• Fashion Critic May 19, 2011 at 14:35 #

lol…@ “Wow…i think I just caught morning sickness just by looking at this picture”

that really made me lol

34. zoe May 19, 2011 at 22:15 #

i’m sorry…wait i’m not sure if i’m sorry, this is disgusting. i don’t know what she’s trying to prove.

35. KateS May 20, 2011 at 06:22 #

I don’t see any reason why a pregnant woman should be expected to cover up any more than any other woman, but this would be bedroom wear on anyone. Do not like.
    Bumps are beautiful, but there are much better ways to flaunt them.

36. Sugarkane May 28, 2011 at 08:15 #

So trashy, I don’t care if she’s French or not. Not appropriate for the red carpet at all. She must have baby brain already?

37. Miguel July 26, 2011 at 05:53 #

This is so innapropiate, this is a red carpet, in Cannes and everywhere this is not right

38. Leonard December 2, 2011 at 23:57 #

Tacky.Tawdry.Trashy.

39. Magnolia April 22, 2012 at 20:09 #

Awful look, indeed…

40. Annel May 16, 2012 at 11:23 #

Makes her look like a mixture of a kimono clad japanese samurai with a pretty heavy belly, a sexy, though slightly confused (judging on her expression) mistress in a neglige AND a really tired, pregnant housewife with greasy hair in her home wear.. Pretty much cracked me up. Lol.