Fan Bing Bing opted for a more au naturale look at The Marche Du Film China Night press conference during the 2011 Cannes Film Festival.

She looked outstandingly beautiful wearing another Elie Saab Couture gown, this time she picked a gorgeous lilac gown from the Spring 2011 collection.

The Asian actress looks so statuesque in the gown which created such a soft fluid movement on the runway revealing a shorter skirt.

I know many of you preferred Fan’s softer look in her previous Elie Saab Couture look, so I know you’ll be dying over this look.

Credit: Style.com

In Selma Blair's Closet - Winter Kate Passenger Halterneck Maxi Dress

In Selma Blair’s Closet – Winter Kate Passenger Halterneck Maxi Dress

Karolina Kurkova In Emilio Pucci - de Grisogono Dinner

Karolina Kurkova In Emilio Pucci – de Grisogono Dinner

89 Responses to Fan Bing Bing In Elie Saab Couture – 2011 Cannes Film Festival “The Marche Du Film China Night” Press Conference

1. anna May 17, 2011 at 22:11 #

If there were award ceremonies for dressing well, Fan Bing Bing would have a mantel stuffed full of trophies. Every look is outstanding and she wears the heck out of clothes.

2. CapitalFool May 17, 2011 at 22:11 #

She looks so TALL too!

• Anissa May 17, 2011 at 22:26 #

Yeah is she standing on something or in 6 in heels? It almost looks unnatural, but she looks stunning…

• mol May 17, 2011 at 23:40 #

That is my problem here too – as couturecoco said, she looks as if she’s standing on a soapbox, and that looks funny to me – it’s distracting…..

• Cindy May 18, 2011 at 02:07 #

don’t you notice the picture was taken from much lower position? You can not even see anything on the table. If you have a picture like that, you will look very tall too.

• smolls May 18, 2011 at 01:47 #

I totally agree. Seriously, she looks 9 feet tall in that picture…so weird & distracting as mol said…but she does look gorgeous. The subtle hair & make-up is a nice change.

• Lee Ann May 18, 2011 at 20:45 #

I think she is tall. I am 5’9″ and stood next to her in Paris and seem to recollect that she was close to my height and I was wearing very high shoes

3. Shopgirl May 17, 2011 at 22:15 #

LOve it .. She look like princess

4. Marvel May 17, 2011 at 22:16 #

Im not that much of a fan of hers. Yes she wears great clothes but apart from that, I dont really get the appeal. I feel like she has no personality on the Red Carpet. I think Im alone in saying this but I cant warm up to her

• astray heart May 18, 2011 at 06:40 #

u r not alone.
      She always works her dresses and they look stunning on her.
      but still she gave me a feeling of she’s faking it.

5. Elaine May 17, 2011 at 22:16 #

Fab- remids me of mila kunis’ Oscar gown

6. Tatiana May 17, 2011 at 22:21 #

Not liking the lipstick. FC how tall is she? If not so tall than her stilettos must be killer.

• Fashion Critic May 17, 2011 at 22:33 #

I would say about 5″ 7′ I’ve always met her when she’s wearing heels so I’m not sure

• y May 18, 2011 at 04:51 #

FC according to her fans who had a picture with her, shes actually 5”3~5”5. anyway we dont care as long as shes stunning ;).

• bella May 18, 2011 at 07:24 #

168cm

7. rr May 17, 2011 at 22:21 #

Fan really doesnt take time off from stealing the show at Cannes does she?! she puts everyone else to shame!

8. Leo May 17, 2011 at 22:24 #

Overdressed. Being well dressed is not just picking the right gown, but also the right gown for the right time. This is too much for a press conference. This is my problem with Fan Bing Bing, she does have amazing moments and shines on red carpets but other times she just looks out of place, and tacky. Because it is tasteless to come to cocktail in a ballgown not just the other way round.

• Samantha May 17, 2011 at 22:40 #

Agree completely. I know she will probably win BDOTD for this but I totally disagree. Nice gown, wrong occasion.

• Luis May 17, 2011 at 23:57 #

I have to agree. Even though she is in cannes, this is too much. But she look beautiful.

• KateS May 18, 2011 at 02:39 #

Yes, I agree. It’s gorgeous, but it’s just too OTT for the ocacasion – gowns just not required for press conferences. Beautiful, but unnecessary.

• María May 18, 2011 at 10:21 #

I agree too. That’s too much for just a press conference.

9. Luis May 17, 2011 at 22:25 #

I’m so glad she doesn’t try to show her legs and the high split. I think lately celebs ruin the gown and the look to show that they are in trend with the high split!

10. Rebecca May 17, 2011 at 22:26 #

Can you imagine how much luggage she has? She looks great in this and everything else.

• nora May 17, 2011 at 23:44 #

i just have the same question……XD
      but whatever the gown is stunning!

• Luis May 17, 2011 at 23:58 #

No luggage, just need to pass all the showrooms in the hotels!! Maybe some panties in her bag!!

• Rebecca May 18, 2011 at 04:18 #

Well, clearly my naivete is showing! Wow–fabulously wretched excess!

• bella May 18, 2011 at 07:31 #

She once said her just took one full dress.it is the first one.the others were chosen in French.

11. couturecoco May 17, 2011 at 22:46 #

This is truly stunning, she’s got it all right this time and I can’t find one thing except that it’s not an evening or cocktail event – it’s a press conference! Oh and she MUST be standing on a soapbox.

• aj May 17, 2011 at 23:32 #

She’s 5′ 7″ without shoes

12. maria May 17, 2011 at 22:50 #

i think it’s beautiful and i love her hair and also the contrasting lipstick.
    Not sure it’s not event appropriate, it seems to be an evening event “Film Night”, so maybe they went to a reception directly after the press conference.

13. Michelle May 17, 2011 at 22:50 #

This is SOOOOOOOOOO beautiful!!!!

What else I can say?!!

14. Lucía May 17, 2011 at 22:51 #

I AM dying over this look

15. Hisadora May 17, 2011 at 22:54 #

Absolutely amazing. The queen of Cannes never fails to impress!

16. The.Shoe.Freak May 17, 2011 at 22:55 #

First off, I think Fan Bing Bing is absolutely gorgeous and she can be wearing a towel and she would still look divine. Secondly,I love this Elie Saab dress, and I love Fan Bing Bing. However I also agree with Leo’s comment to a certain degree..This amazing Couture gown is not appropriate for a press conference, even if its Cannes. Its killing the dresses’ statement-like life and purpose, and in doing so, cheapening the Couture aura.
    A bit way over-dressed in my opinion, but I do love both the dress and the person wearing it, just for another occasion though.

• Elaine May 17, 2011 at 23:42 #

Agreed!

• f4fashion May 18, 2011 at 06:45 #

Can’t agree more!

• Wendy May 18, 2011 at 01:48 #

=) enjoy your comment about
      “she can be wearing a towel and she would still look divine”

Very beautiful Elie Saab dress! She is definitely a ES girl! She looks tall due to the picture angle.

• Mia Spring May 18, 2011 at 03:29 #

I’m so agree!

• idarklight May 18, 2011 at 04:00 #

I think for Fan, though, this is one of the more important events. If you read her interviews, she talks about how that coming from a lesser-known background, she feels more responsible to represent China to a degree at all of the events. And as the only Chinese actress present at the press conference, I think she would feel that it makes sense to overdress on this occasion.

17. June May 17, 2011 at 22:59 #

So Beautiful!!!

18. Lo May 17, 2011 at 23:01 #

I’m sick of seeing her. She’s too over exposed at Cannes. It’s not HER event. It’s a celebration for many actors and instead it seems as though she is stealing thunder by attending every party and premiere possible. Yes she looks great in everything, but give it a rest for a day. Make us WANT to see you and anticipate rather than be forced to see you in yet ANOTHER Elie Saab gown. Frankly they are all starting to blend that I don’t remember one from another.

• aj May 17, 2011 at 23:30 #

This is turning into a Fan Bingbing Festival.
      Hope that she and her team realize that there’s too much overexposure, and a lower profile should be taken before the backlash.

• Cindy May 18, 2011 at 02:24 #

She is all over the place because she is popular and has been invited to every event. She didn’t choose to showup without an invitation. After all she is a workaholic.

• juliet May 18, 2011 at 17:12 #

I agree, I can only see she is hard working and by herself she can make even a towel stunning. She also fit the spirit of the each one she choose very well.

• nicky May 18, 2011 at 04:18 #

Totally agree with this comment…I do appreciate what she brings onto the red carpet but this is getting way too excessive. It’s tiring!

• Iris May 18, 2011 at 06:52 #

hey, that’s a bit harsh. not all the celebs present at Cannes makes FC’s cut. if FBB does, it’s because she wears stuff that’s impossible for a fashion site to ignore. this is fashion-at-Cannes coverage, not just Cannes coverage.

• Rachel May 18, 2011 at 09:48 #

Ditto Iris !! Very sopt on…why blame Fan when she wasnt even the one who chose what to publish …

19. Moxie May 17, 2011 at 23:14 #

Absolutely beautiful!

20. carol May 17, 2011 at 23:15 #

Fan again! Another Elie Saab gown and she presented well. Good for her.

21. Regina May 17, 2011 at 23:57 #

Yes, she’s pretty, but she has no personality. She just puts on big Elie Saab gowns and “crazy” headgear now and then. I love Elie Saab, but she just bores me and is indeed overexposed. Which movies has she been in?

• Annie yin May 18, 2011 at 02:37 #

This is china night. So she must attend. Cos she is a chinese.

• idarklight May 18, 2011 at 04:14 #

I really disagree. Within China, she’s given the nickname “Master Fan,” with “master” having a masculine connotation of “head of household.”
      If you read or watch any of her interviews, you can tell she’s very confident and thoughtful without trying hard to show it.
      Moviewise, there’s Buddha Mountain,Wheat, Lost in Beijing and Chongqing Blues. In addition to acting, she also produced two of her own TV series, Rouge Snow and The Last Night of Madam Chin, the later of which has some of the most gorgeous outfits that looks like they came out of the Great Gasby.

• Victoria May 18, 2011 at 07:58 #

Haha Fan Bing Bing is actually a pretty big star in Asia and has been in tons of films/tv shows! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_Bingbing

• Rachel May 18, 2011 at 12:56 #

Well FBB is definitely pretty big on personallity . She is no bimbo who only dreams of being one lame Cinderella ..

FBB : ‘ I have never considered marrying into success . I am already successful. If anyone wants to marry a well-established spouse, they can come and marry me. ‘

Rock on girl , you make women proud !!!

• aj May 18, 2011 at 21:50 #

She definitely has backbone, character and spunk to have overcome the numerous smear campaigns waged by jealous people .since the 90′s.

• Leo May 19, 2011 at 07:37 #

wow.. that’s impressive for a Chinese woman saying that.

22. asherlev1 May 18, 2011 at 00:00 #

LOL yes! Dying over this look for sure. I love her like this.

23. Zoe May 18, 2011 at 01:24 #

When she was a nobody,everyone seemed to focus on her dress and how she looked,but after she gained a little popularity and fame(due to your hard work,thank you,FC),haters start to act out.Overdressed,over-exposure,no personality,too tall…..LOL.

• Jocelyn May 19, 2011 at 00:48 #

Since it’s international event, not much people form euro nor America regonize Bingbing for her movie. However the Asian know her well cuz she’s top Asian actress and she just won the best actress in Tokyo Movie Fest. She has a lot great collection of movies and TV shows. And she a strong women for personality and ambitious. Like the most western commend mind, the thing they don’t know is not exist. Please do say she has no personality any more. It’s only because u don’t know~~

24. TL May 18, 2011 at 01:58 #

Thanks FC for all the great reports of the red carpet fashion.
    I agree with Lo and AJ, there’s too much FAN BING BING going on. YES FAN is pretty, and the dresses are mostly great, but she is truly over exposed. I am sick of seeing her every single day now. It’s turning from “WOW” to ” GEEZ, IT’S HER AGAIN?” Please, FAN, give us and Mr. Elie Saab a break.

• aj May 18, 2011 at 10:37 #

I do like and admire Fan for her beauty, talent, spunk, and years of hard work to become China’s superstar, but I don’t want to see her become the object of derision because of excessive overexposure.at a European film festival.This is constructive criticism and and not to be taken as a smear campaign against her.

• astray heart May 18, 2011 at 17:42 #

can’t agree with u more

25. Ena May 18, 2011 at 02:30 #

Yes. I totally agree with you about Fan’s overexposure at Cannes. After all, the festival is a celebration of the art of film-making not a merely fashion show. You feel bored looking at her showing off herself in one gown after another. She is too contrived. The Chinese movie star Gong Li looks way natural.

26. allie May 18, 2011 at 03:37 #

Beauatiful

27. Isabelle May 18, 2011 at 05:16 #

My heart is full of love with her.

28. Sonia May 18, 2011 at 05:26 #

Love it. She’s on a mission to conquer Cannes!

29. Lizzie May 18, 2011 at 05:46 #

I didn’t know Fan Bing Bing before, now, I’m a big fan of her after I found this site…
    Truly stunning, I’m dying over her soft look.

30. jeanne May 18, 2011 at 06:08 #

beautiful but overdressed

31. Kay May 18, 2011 at 06:11 #

I disagree with the overdressed statements. Fan Bing Bing is at The Marche Du Film’s China Night press conference. She IS pretty much representing China & the chinese film industry. Why shouldn’t she wear something gorgeous and make a statement??

I love it how Fan Bing Bing isn’t wearing any jewellery with this dress.

• Lizzie May 19, 2011 at 03:06 #

Agree.

32. robbie May 18, 2011 at 06:41 #

by far one of the most overrated people when it comes to fashion. she is pretty but she doesnt put any life into the clothes, she is basically just a plastic mannequin, and even a mannequin has more life than fan.

• Rachel May 18, 2011 at 13:07 #

She is NOT just a mannequin .

The famous turban she wore to an Elie Saab show, sent to her by the designer, isn’t a turban at all but a camisole! What styling genius!

Love Fan to bits !!

• Lee Ann May 18, 2011 at 20:46 #

So agree with you

• Lee Ann May 18, 2011 at 20:46 #

Sorry I meant to agree with robbie

33. Kin May 18, 2011 at 07:26 #

I’m kinda tired of Fan Bing Bing and her frilly pastel gown looks

34. HM May 18, 2011 at 07:28 #

Her proportions are way off. The length of her upper body is like 1/5 of her legs. She must be standing on something or wearing some mighty high platforms or it’s a strange camera angle. Whatever it is, it’s odd.

• Rachel May 18, 2011 at 09:54 #

Oh please lets be fair all celebs wear killer shoes when they are in gowns …Fan is simply fab ….

35. bella May 18, 2011 at 07:36 #

She is beautiful,everything looks great. i like her hair.it’s real?

36. Cara May 18, 2011 at 07:46 #

if i could have any celebrity’s wardrobe, it would be fan bing bing’s!

her and elie saab are a match made in heaven

• Lizzie May 19, 2011 at 03:08 #

U sure she owns all those gowns?

37. Victoria May 18, 2011 at 07:51 #

When Fan Bing Bing pulls off a look like this, I can’t decide if I prefer her dramatic or softer looks! I really really love this look. :D

38. Moody Crab May 18, 2011 at 10:05 #

Exquisite couture gown to a press conference. No. Does not work. There is something called dressing right and being a fashion icon requires one to know and hit the right notes, at the right time.

39. Alina May 18, 2011 at 10:44 #

LOOOOOVE !

40. vivi May 18, 2011 at 11:21 #

Absolutely beautiful!

41. Paulo May 18, 2011 at 14:17 #

She looks amazing! And if this is what overexposure looks like, FC, please keep it coming!!!

42. Dazzle May 18, 2011 at 14:54 #

I will admit I am very tired of seeing this girl. Mostly because I haven’t figured out her purpose. But I love this dress. But then I love most ES dresses. It instantly reminded me of Mila’s. I think it is a bit much for the occassion but it is still so beautiful. I love the color. I am never a fan of her hair and makeup unfortunately.

43. Flora May 18, 2011 at 14:58 #

Don’t be too rough on her,it’s not her fault to “overexposure’, she was invited to show, how can you guys blame on her?Also, it’s not her wish/requirement to ask you see her everyday, she has her job to do, doing the show is part of her job

44. Regina May 19, 2011 at 18:01 #

By the way, I wasn’t being patronising or Eurocentric in my comments or questions regarding which movies she has been in. I’m sure she must be big in Asia or she wouldn’t be in Cannes, for instance. My question was genuine and my comments are simply aimed at her FASHION style. Just thought I’d clarify.

45. lins December 4, 2011 at 22:52 #

she has some divine curves as well.. just couldn’t help but notice it when u compare her pictures to others