17.05.11

Cheryl Cole In Giambattista Valli – 2011 Fox Upfront

It looks like Cheryl Cole wasn’t in New York for X Factor auditions, but to attend the 2011 Fox Upfront Event.

She joined her fellow judges; Simon Cowell, Paula Abdul and LA Reid plus X Factor hosts; Steven Jones and Nicole Scherzinger at the event which was held at the Wollman Rink in Central Park last night.

The Brit opted for an orange Giambattista Valli short sleeve dress which provided a delightful pop of colour against the blue background.

It looks like Paula Abdul had the same idea, as she arrived wearing a bright coral Alexander McQueen dress with a plunging neckline whilst carrying a Swarovski silver shadow crystal Mysthic clutch.

Cheryl accessorized with a Vivienne Westwood pearl orb chocker and a pair of off-white marbled snake-effect leather Giuseppe Zanotti t-bar sandals.

Looking at this line up, I can’t help but think that Cheryl is punching well above her weight.

What can she seriously bring to this table?

Credit: Getty & Fame Pictures

In Cheryl Cole's Closet - Giambattista Valli Orange Dress & Giuseppe Zanotti T-Bar Sandals

In Cheryl Cole’s Closet – Giambattista Valli Orange Dress & Giuseppe Zanotti T-Bar Sandals

Ines de la Fressange Loves Roger Vivier

Ines de la Fressange Loves Roger Vivier

56 Responses to Cheryl Cole In Giambattista Valli – 2011 Fox Upfront

1. Paddy M May 17, 2011 at 11:11 #

I think she has as much right to be there as Paula. Neither are terrific singers, but both can hold a tune, and both are good performers. Style-wise, I like the outfit. I think it proves that Cheryl can be something other than ‘try-hard’ on the red carpet.

2. Pablo May 17, 2011 at 11:21 #

She’s making it difficult with her recent moves, but I’m going to keep adoring Cheryl Cole for the moment :)
    And are Paula and her going to dress every time with same colours? It’s so silly…

3. thehighstreethobo May 17, 2011 at 11:28 #

That’s a fab look on her, I’m with you on thinking she’s punching above her weight but each time I say that, my friends come up wit the ‘well she’s been through it before’ schtick

P.s. I love your blog and I’m one of your lifelong supporters, please readers of Red carpet fashion awards follow my blog and I promise to follow yours right back

• Maddie May 17, 2011 at 16:48 #

Every popstar has been through auditioning before. Plus, when Cheryl auditioned for Popstars, it was like 10 years ago and talent shows were nowhere near as big as they are now. She didn’t have to audition in front of a large studio audience like these do. And there was hardly any focus on the judges.

4. Elaine May 17, 2011 at 11:48 #

I think she is bringing to the table her looks and that’s about it – that and being Simon Cowell’s pet – I do look forward to her outfits each wk though – let’s hope she reverts to the Atelier Versace et al of her first season and not the disappointment of her 2nd season as judge

5. Jennifer May 17, 2011 at 11:49 #

A pretty face, and thats it… I would have said dancing skills, but Paula has that corner mastered.

6. Gaber May 17, 2011 at 12:18 #

Cheryl is like one of those people that go to New York and wear their I LOVE NY! t-shirts.

• 2c May 17, 2011 at 13:33 #

LOL

7. Cat May 17, 2011 at 12:41 #

she looks great. hair is beautiful when its done simply. i think shes going to be fab and you cant knock the girl for giving it a go!

8. Mia Spring May 17, 2011 at 12:46 #

I found RED can beat WHITE in this year’s Cannes

9. nehaa May 17, 2011 at 12:56 #

why on earth they hired cheryl cole as a judge and nicole scherzinger as host is beyond me. nicole definitely has talent when it comes to singing, dancing and she seems like a lovely person as well. cheryl on the other hand is quite the contrary. if she dressed like she did in her days during the first season of x factor i’d be willing to look by her lack of talent lol

• Anna May 17, 2011 at 15:54 #

I guess you haven’t read what people said about Nicole at the auditions in the UK when she replaced Dannii. It’s amazing what you can do when editing a video.

• Fiona May 17, 2011 at 16:19 #

Sorry, but what did they say? Could someone tell me?

• Anna May 17, 2011 at 18:42 #

I know someone who worked on the X Factor when Nicole was on and everyone there thought she was really lovely.

• nehaa May 17, 2011 at 21:18 #

yes what i was saying was that nicole is definitely more suited to a role as a judge as she has more talent and seems much nicer too. i wasn’t very clear before when i was talking about nicole oops, i think she’s fantastic. i standby what i said about cheryl. she has no talent but she does have a pretty face.

10. shubby doo May 17, 2011 at 13:19 #

paula is simon’s darling…this pic just goes to prove it…she’s the one that steals my gaze…her outfit, her everything is on point…she’s glowing compared with nicole…sad to say it but cheryl brings in the rear for the ladies in this. she’s gotta be very very VERY good on the american X Factor…the americans have to love her almost immeadiately…else she’ll just fade away like kara dioguardi on AI

p.s
    i can see cheryl being swapped in for nicole if this doesnt work out…

• Fashion Critic May 17, 2011 at 13:45 #

“she’s gotta be very very VERY good on the american X Factor…the americans have to love her almost immeadiately…else she’ll just fade away like kara dioguardi on AI”

I see this happening. She has no stand out quality. Paula and Simon are already all over each other and that will grow by the time the live finals happen.

That was Cheryl’s thing, without that what’s she gonna do?

11. Anna May 17, 2011 at 13:20 #

Would love to know what Nicole is wearing.

12. cristina May 17, 2011 at 13:33 #

Completely agree with the punching above her weight but since Americans seem to be loving the whole British thing at them moment,they might like her!Although, if they hear her sing live-that could change. I also think Nicole would be a better judge. I don’t really like the necklace with the dress,it kind of jars with the high neckline!

• Fashion Critic May 17, 2011 at 13:41 #

Nicole should’ve been the judge.

I think she’s the host as safety net.

If it doesn’t work out with Cheryl I’m sure Nicole will replace her

• seggie May 17, 2011 at 14:50 #

I’d love that to happen. I didn’t get it why Nicole didn’t get the judge job! She proved on UK X Factor what a great relevant judge she was, and I didn’t like her very much until that point. I think we all saw what a rubbish job Cheryl was doing, because Nicole was excellent! I never thought about the safety net…hum..interesting… Cheryl is just a very pretty face PERIOD!

• Fashion Critic May 17, 2011 at 15:50 #

I’ll bet money that is going to happen. She’s only there because she twisted Simon around her finger. Legally she shouldn’t even be allow to work in the US because of her conviction.

Had Paula been announced sooner, Cheryl wouldn’t have been the line up.

Simon has his pet and that’s Paula.

13. Marvel May 17, 2011 at 14:00 #

I love this look from her.

I think Cheryl is there just for eye candy on the panel. WIth Simon and Paula there, someone has to look pretty

• ahot May 17, 2011 at 18:20 #

LOL!
      Me thinkining it must also have something to do with her dancer of a boyfriend……

• Fashion Critic May 17, 2011 at 18:24 #

No way. He has no influence on this type of thing and he’s not her boyfriend.

That was a big smoke screen

• Anna May 21, 2011 at 23:28 #

All I’m going to say is don’t underestimate Cheryl Cole

14. shevelle May 17, 2011 at 14:12 #

This is the first time i’ve notice that Cheryl has really horrid legs and “cankles’ – when the calf and ankle blend into one.

15. couturecoco May 17, 2011 at 15:13 #

I love her hair and make up – groomed but still fresh.
    The dress is gorgeous – maybe too conservative for such an event but it’s flattering.
    Shame about the shoes, they look cheap and nasty with it. Patent plain Louboutins would have been better.

16. sabrina May 17, 2011 at 15:19 #

The lineup sucks!!! Simon should NOT have hired his old buddies and got some real talent. This is a vocal competition correct?

• Fashion Critic May 17, 2011 at 15:39 #

Apparently…

• ahot May 17, 2011 at 18:22 #

dead!

17. anne May 17, 2011 at 16:00 #

Well, to be fair, she didn’t have that much talent to begin with and yet she became UK’s sweetheart and Simon’s favourite person(remember how he talked about her in the Piers Morgan special). I, myself am no longer a fan but i’m sure everybody will love her; plus she was a good judge on the UK version so this should work out fine for her.
    As for the outfit, well this is more like it. Nowadays i like it better when she keeps things simple.

18. Tatiana May 17, 2011 at 16:19 #

Since I am not “in” on the X Factor and American Idol scene, I will just say I like Cheryl’s look. She looks cute and appropriate, while Paula looks awful and trashy as usual. She needs a Hollywood stylist.

• Courteney May 17, 2011 at 17:43 #

I agree completely about Paula’s style but I do think she’s slightly improved from her AI days.

19. Courteney May 17, 2011 at 16:24 #

As an American, I can attest that when people hear Cheryl Cole’s name, they go, “Who? Oh,Sheryl Crow.” I just feel like that since this show is intended for an American audience shouldn’t there be primarily three American judges and two American hosts. You didn’t see a bunch of American’s on the British edition on the X Factor. It just feels a tad too international for me.

• Fashion Critic May 17, 2011 at 17:39 #

I totally agree with you. The press would go nuts over here if the situation was reversed.

• Anna May 17, 2011 at 18:11 #

No I saw an Aussie, an Irish and two British on the British edition and no one complained

• Courteney May 17, 2011 at 18:44 #

My point is that half of the cast is British. Not that I dislike the British, I LOVE the British. In all fairness, this is a show that is going to air in America and its objective is to seek out American talent. Why must half the cast not be American? If you watch any American competition show like Dancing with the Stars or So You Think You Can Dance, you will notice that there is always at least one token Brit. It’s of overkill. I hope I am conveying my point well.

• Anna May 21, 2011 at 23:27 #

No, sorry, I don’t see your point. Half the cast is American so that answer your question. More than half the cast in the UK isn’t British and yet it’s a show that airs in the UK and its objective is to seek out British talent. So I don’t think there’s a problem with having two British people on the judging panel and another one as a host. As long as they’re qualified to do their job I don’t care, and I’m going to say that they are indeed.

• Courteney May 22, 2011 at 01:09 #

Be that as it may however I stand by what I said. I agree with FC; if there were more American’s on the UK edition, the press would have a fit. There isn’t much positive American sentiment overseas anyhow.

20. Maddie May 17, 2011 at 16:29 #

At least she’s left the UK. I can’t stand her ever since the ‘Wagner’ incident.
    What I don’t understand is why she’s always wearing the same colour as Paula. Do they have the same stylist or something?

• Fashion Critic May 17, 2011 at 17:37 #

I lost a lot of respect for her after that incident too

• ahot May 17, 2011 at 18:24 #

please, for those of us who are not british… Which incident?

• Fashion Critic May 17, 2011 at 18:32 #

She was really rude to one of the contests during the X Factor last year.

He made a comment to the press which was of course twisted and made it sound like he was having a go at Cheryl.

Instead of taking him aside before show she confronted him on live TV showing a very ugly side to her character which we all knew was there from the time she was arrested for hitting a toilet attendant over a lollipop.

A lot of people lost respect for her after that

21. Elle May 17, 2011 at 17:01 #

Whilst I’m glad Cheryl finally grew out of the ‘head-to-toe black’ phase she was going through in the UK X-Factor edition, I think it’s quite amusing how this is the second time she and Paula have gone for the same colour in a public appearance… They both wore almost an identical shade of purple last week too…

22. Alina May 17, 2011 at 17:03 #

She looks cute !

23. Matt May 17, 2011 at 17:15 #

Nicole should have taken Cheryl’s place. It has nothing to do with the accent but she just seems so out of place. I know she’s trying to get her name out there in America but it could work against her. I mean look at Ellen, one of the most likable women on TV, she left after one season of American Idol and the other one (what’s her name?), well we all just hated her

• Fashion Critic May 17, 2011 at 17:33 #

lol @ “other one (what’s her name?)”

24. ahot May 17, 2011 at 19:45 #

smh! phony & violent, crazy how much & a pretty face can hide…

25. Karen May 17, 2011 at 20:45 #

I’m not sure why everyone is hating on Cheryl but I think Cheryl looks great but i’m not crazy about the shoes. I’m glad to see Cheryl in the states. She is one very pretty girl.

26. Karen May 17, 2011 at 20:46 #

I think Nicole is wearing Alaia and boy it looks boring.

27. Danielle May 18, 2011 at 00:26 #

I don’t know much about Cheryl Cole but I wouldn’t say that Nicole is all that qualified to be on the panel either. Her solo record was a bust and her voice is okay but not grammy winning

28. pipsqueak May 18, 2011 at 04:07 #

I don’t know about Cheryl Cole, but she seems perfectly qualified for this type of shows – just look at all the other judges. And she may sound British, but she looks American – the smiley-cheerleader, cheesy-beauty-queen, and E! network-host stereotype. I think her dress is ok, but those white shoes are a mismatch – save them for the prom.

29. Fashion Critic May 25, 2011 at 23:36 #

Cheryl Cole has being replaced as a judge on FOX’s new series The X Factor by Nicole Scherzinger, according to TMZ.

EAT THAT

• shubby doo May 26, 2011 at 13:25 #

she turned her back on us and the americans turned their on her…lol…i so saw that happening! dont think she should be back on the uk version either…it was her rapport with simon and her ability to keep his ego in check that made her charming…it wont work with gary barlow cos it’s not needed…besides the UK has a new nation’s sweetheart and that’s catherine middleton (nee)…a princess.

• Fashion Critic May 26, 2011 at 14:13 #

It will be interesting to see how the story (drags on) develops