16.05.11

There was no point guessing who Angelina Jolie was going to wear tonight at the 2011 Cannes Film Festival “The Tree Of Life” Premiere; it was always going to be Atelier Versace.

Angelina glided down the red carpet wearing a gorgeous Atelier Versace rich chocolate strapless silk gown.

Normally Angelina opts for something more fitted, but on this occasion she went for a lot of volume, a thigh-high split and a long train.

I love that she opted to go big at this Premiere, as the 2011 Cannes moto is, “Go Big or Go Home.”

Utterly breath-taking.

[nggallery id=815]

Credit: Getty

Nice Airport Style: Zoe Saldana In Lanvin

Nice Airport Style: Zoe Saldana In Lanvin

Jessica Chastain In Zac Posen Couture - 2011 Cannes Film Festival "The Tree Of Life" Premiere

Jessica Chastain In Zac Posen Couture – 2011 Cannes Film Festival “The Tree Of Life” Premiere

75 Responses to Angelina Jolie In Atelier Versace – 2011 Cannes Film Festival “The Tree Of Life” Premiere

1. ber May 16, 2011 at 18:47 #

I’m unimpressed. It’s a nice enough dress, but she adds nothing to it.

• Lenka May 18, 2011 at 18:26 #

o my goodness…., is that sheer jealousy speaking here… ? She is one of the most beautiful women, and I mean physically as well as spiritually… She’s very noble, but this much beauty is apparently a crime here… I feel bad for you…
      (and, as a dressmaker, I will tell you this: this dress is not just nice enough – it’s splendidly beautiful and classy)

• Madge September 26, 2011 at 22:23 #

too dark for May and its really not a big deal…

2. Chloe May 16, 2011 at 18:48 #

I’m not the biggest fan of her hair. The color doesn’t excite me :(

3. Alina May 16, 2011 at 18:48 #

I don’t really like the dress – more exactly the back of the dress. I hate the hair. I’ve seen her wearing this hairstyle everywhere.

4. Marvel May 16, 2011 at 18:51 #

This gets a thums down. The dress looks like a prom reject and her hair is looks very thin and very messy for Cannes. She may tried to do something different. But I cant help but feel bored.

Im hoping she turns it around for her Premiere of Kung-Fu Panda.

• jkrau May 21, 2011 at 00:27 #

Exactly! Angie is just another celeb who threw on a big gown, and it looks like she just did regular everyday makeup and put some shiny studs in her ears! No effort is shown. in contrast, Zoe Saldana at this premiere has sleek, obviously styled but not too fancy hair, and red carpet makeup!

5. serapart May 16, 2011 at 18:52 #

the colour ages her like 10+ years.

6. Incroyable May 16, 2011 at 18:52 #

She looks nice, but not wowed. Probably its these shots.

7. Camille May 16, 2011 at 18:53 #

Very bleh. She’s gorgeous, of course, but brown?Really? I also agree with ber she needed to werk it.

8. Voguette May 16, 2011 at 18:53 #

Not a fan of this dress, but she’s stunning. She can wear pretty much anything and still outshine others

9. Lee Ann May 16, 2011 at 18:54 #

Nope ..
    Her face and make up are perfect. But her hair is stringy and sorry but as a tattoo hater I can’t see past them.

10. Elisa May 16, 2011 at 18:55 #

Dated.

11. Luis May 16, 2011 at 18:55 #

I don’t like and I’m very disappointed with the last Atelier Versace gown i’ve seen. This gown is so simple and don’t add nothing new to fashion…

Bring back Fall because I hate Atelier Versace Spring 2011…

12. Anna May 16, 2011 at 18:56 #

this is the first time I don’t like something Angelina has worn at Cannes. Sure, it’s bold for her standards, but I think the dress is just plain ugly, and the colour is totally meh.

13. Laura May 16, 2011 at 18:56 #

Ehh. Nothing out of the ordinary for her. The hair is not so great either. Just okay for me.

14. Mia May 16, 2011 at 18:57 #

I hate this look. I think it is ugly, unflattering and it ages her. She needs a new stylist and a new outlook on fashion.

15. Joy May 16, 2011 at 18:59 #

Hate the color, but the back is spectacular.

16. Coco's Tea Party May 16, 2011 at 18:59 #

I’m not a fan of this one. To me this looks like a Lea Michele dress. It seems a bit too fussy for Angelina. Although that said it is nice to see her try something new.

17. maria May 16, 2011 at 19:02 #

i love the colour, although i suppose it looks better in person. I think the dress is really nice fitted in the bodice and gives her a great shape.

18. jen May 16, 2011 at 19:05 #

its a nice dress, but i m not crazy about it, the colour is boring on her. & her hair is so lifeless. i think her hair at the photocall looked better than for her big premiere

19. Luiza May 16, 2011 at 19:07 #

WOW. stunning
    i normally never feel wowed by her, but this… i’m speechless

20. Incroyable May 16, 2011 at 19:13 #

*looks at new shots* Its a mess for me. The hair looks awful and the dress is too much, and the color drains her

21. piyali May 16, 2011 at 19:14 #

Now,It should be a crime to look so beautiful! Can anyone even afford to waste a second to look at the dress if the person wearing it has such an ethereal face? Some people are plainly jealous they cannot come out and praise such a heavenly look… great moment

• slashdot May 16, 2011 at 21:24 #

Well, beauty is evidently a matter of taste, not envy.

• piyali May 17, 2011 at 10:32 #

but it seems few people accept that….

22. ro May 16, 2011 at 19:15 #

It’s a different look for her, I would have pictured this more on Penelope Cruz than Angelina. I think it picture of her walking would be fantastic to show the dress in motion.

23. jadel parra May 16, 2011 at 19:17 #

jesus, what a beauty. stunning, i don’t care if she wears a blag plastic bag or it’s 98 pounds, with that face you can’t go wrong….not everyone is meant to be fat, so i don’t have a problem with her skinnyness..yes, she’s in black but i love the drama of the dress and a woman with that face and tattoo is a total hit.

24. Elaine May 16, 2011 at 19:21 #

I’m completely underwhelmed, very forgettable for me

25. frommdq May 16, 2011 at 19:22 #

Atelier Versace with just out of the bed hair! Some girls are just too lucky

26. Lily May 16, 2011 at 19:24 #

Maybe if she had done something with her hair?? Nah, it’s still an ill-fitting, boring dark dress. She’s incapable of “stepping it up” and I have no clue why.

27. OFF/THE/RECORD May 16, 2011 at 19:32 #

This look is so reminiscent of the Jennifer Hudson look at Oscars this year…. the skirt and the volume to it looks exactly the same(though they arnt)..and the sheen in the silk fabric somehow makes it look trashy and cheap…+ angelina thought she would have no problems in showing off her legs while trotting down in that gown but by the way the pictures have come… we can clearly see how that slouch effect on the gown is barring her from doin so…
    TOTALLY RUINING THE EXPECTATIONS !!!

28. allie May 16, 2011 at 19:37 #

I love this dress. Chic

29. Camille May 16, 2011 at 19:39 #

Okay, this is red carpet FASHION awards not red carpet face awards. Yes, her face is gorgeous but the dress is, in my opinion, to big and, as someone already said, Lea Michele-esque.

30. jazz May 16, 2011 at 19:44 #

she looks INCREDIBLE. the shape of the dress is beautiful enough added to the fact that its being worn by one of the most gogeous women in the world. and that rich chocolate color is to die for on with her complexion and hair color

31. Fashion Fave May 16, 2011 at 19:54 #

mediocre

32. Taylor May 16, 2011 at 20:02 #

Boring…again. I’m rarely impressed by her dressing.

33. couturecoco May 16, 2011 at 20:14 #

The dress is faultless structurally – love the split/pleat/skirt back view/train – it’s Versace but oh dear, not a fan of the chocolate brown. And the hair, really, surely someone could have pinned it up or curled it on the way even….

• mol May 16, 2011 at 21:28 #

I agree, it’s not the shape of the gown, but the color, and her hair is awful….

34. 2c May 16, 2011 at 20:17 #

Her jawline amazes me – l.o.v.e.
    Hate the dress though. I always feel like I’d see that material on the clearance rack at my local TK Maxx…

35. Yaas May 16, 2011 at 20:30 #

Why so much hate? I like her in the dress. she looks simple and stunning.

36. Emi May 16, 2011 at 20:43 #

I was looking forward to see her because she always looks stunning during Cannes but this is very disappointing. First of all I agree with Camille, we’re talking about fashion not about beauty; of course she would look great in any dress but, honestly, this dress is quite ugly. First of all the color is ugly and not flattering at all, I also don’t like the creases on the back. Plus, her hair, usually so beautiful, looks stringy. The only thing I like is the make up, and Brad, also!

37. julietinmay May 16, 2011 at 21:06 #

she looks great. Maybe all of you anticipate more than I do.

38. vicky May 16, 2011 at 21:18 #

The style of the dress is just a minor thing, yes it feels a bit dated, perhaps in another more seasonal colour?..
    My point is the ugly colour together with the unstyled hair kills it, two big thumbs down!

*dreams of the days when AJ grazed the carpet in bright yellow and green….*

39. Pati May 16, 2011 at 21:33 #

Are Brad and Angelina splitting up? Because it seems as though she´s been brushing up her closet, perhaps while packing, and found this 1990s number she thought she would wear to one of the most glamorous film festivals on the calendar?!

• Pati May 16, 2011 at 21:42 #

I meant cleaning out her closet …

40. Pablo May 16, 2011 at 22:24 #

Oh I’m loving this!
    The colour is understated and classy, and the gown is just art: those gatherings and folds on the train are precious!
    And I think the fact that she kept hair and make-up simple is a total win: had she done an up-do she would’ve looked too princessy!
    I’m so surprised my fellow readers aren’t liking this! :)

41. Dorian Gray May 16, 2011 at 22:25 #

Everyone says that Angelina always looks the same. Now she’s changed and everyone says it’s not her style. I think she rocks this dress.

• Fashion Critic May 16, 2011 at 23:03 #

lol..she’s damned if she does and damned if she doesn’t

42. Tahj May 16, 2011 at 22:27 #

I normally think she only looks good in fitted clothing because big, poofy gowns just don’t suit her. But this dress manages to not be fitted and still sleek enough to suit her. The chocolate brown color is nice (though it would be even nicer on someone with brown eyes).

But her hair has been looking AWFUL lately. I don’t even think it’s real. I’ve seen photos of it where it looked like some awful hair piece. She’s trying too hard to stick to some va-va voom peekaboo hairstyle because she wants to keep this image, but she should do something better with her hair.

43. perfumeorpoison May 16, 2011 at 22:46 #

dear god he looks as if he’s 80, and she looks ill with that hair and skin..

• Fashion Critic May 16, 2011 at 23:02 #

I think we should be glad he’s didn’t take the Mickey Rourke or Sylvester Stallone route and tried to look younger by ruining his face with plastic surgery.

I don’t mind the wrinkles.

• mari May 17, 2011 at 02:37 #

damn Brad and his facial hair LOL!!

about Angelina, I just LOVE this dark chocolate dress, the back is gorgeous, and it really gives her a nice shape.
        I like how her green/hazel eyes pop with the brown, and I do not recall ever seeing her in a gown this color. Her skin looks great, I love that she does not wear those fake tans.
        Who knows maybe in a different year, she will go orange! Why complain, she has worn color now and then. To demand her to do so in every premiere/award show is like asking tilda to go subtle, or … well you get the idea.
        Oh and I like these pics you chose FC.

• Fashion Critic May 17, 2011 at 08:12 #

44. hally May 16, 2011 at 23:48 #

i really am disliking this color for this dress on her. and could she do something, anything, with the hair please? imagine this dress in, say, fuschia, or maybe even a nude color, or heck, even black would be better!

• mari May 17, 2011 at 02:41 #

she wore a nude/salmon pink color gown last year in cannes, and she just wore the brightest blingiest of green dress to some award show a few months ago…
      she just can’t get a pass…

45. Danika May 17, 2011 at 00:09 #

Incredibly boring. She made an effort, sure, but it’s a boring dated uninspiring look. I’m seriously unimpressed by her.

46. Bec May 17, 2011 at 00:09 #

Hate the material of the dress….reminds me of bad 80′s bridesmaid dresses!!!

47. tomi May 17, 2011 at 01:04 #

prefect

48. Hisadora May 17, 2011 at 01:40 #

I’m so glad she opted for a big and glamurous gown, it’s hard to see her look like this! Absolutely amazing!

49. Fiona May 17, 2011 at 04:30 #

Nice dress, it looks a bit big in the top and whilst I don’t mind the colour (not everyone can pull off chocolate brown on any carpet, never mind a red one) it was screaming out for some jewels!! Some amazing jewellery would have brought out the colour and life in the dress. Instead we get anti-fashion Angelina purposefully picking something in a safe neutral colour as if it is a chore, again. What happened to the woman who wore the canary yellow gown, and the chartreuse gown when she was pregnant, they were beautiful.

50. Ayesha May 17, 2011 at 05:14 #

I REALLY LOVE IT!!!

51. marga May 17, 2011 at 05:38 #

this has got to be one of my favorite Jolie red carpet look! the color looks amazing on her! it’s simple, elegant yet very sexy with the thigh high slit. and the fact that she has a flawless skin and drop dead gorgeous face, it’s a WIN! she totally owned CANNES this year!

• Katrin May 17, 2011 at 09:58 #

I agree. It’s a beautiful dress and she looks gorgeous in it. She has an amazing face, but her body is very scrawny and this dress makes her look like a real lady. I think she’s the whole package in this dress. She’s glowing and she looks regal. My favorite from Cannes this year also.

52. Renske May 17, 2011 at 08:22 #

I really like the dress, but whats with Brad? Ugly glasses and the hair makes him a really old man!

53. Elena May 17, 2011 at 08:42 #

I think she looked a bit sad last night.. something was wrong!!!

54. bella May 17, 2011 at 08:58 #

She looks great.the dress is beautiful.but the hair,i just think she had never chaged her hairstyle!

55. Sarah Farrukh May 17, 2011 at 09:02 #

She is looking cool in Chocolaty Dress :-)

56. Rahel May 17, 2011 at 11:44 #

The only thing I don’t like is her high slit on the side. It’s strange that a wide gown has such a high slit.

57. ls May 17, 2011 at 18:03 #

Angelina is truly and simply BREATHTAKING.

58. Lucía May 17, 2011 at 20:47 #

I don’t like it. I think it’s just the color.

59. tahoegeminii May 31, 2011 at 02:01 #

Wow-she looks absolutely star like and her and Brad made the red carpet shake beneath them-they look so happy and in love-even more than before-the dress is amazing and she is sets it off like fireworks-I cannot believe how many Jen Hags are on here trying to talk it down and deny how stunning the 2 of them are together-they really showed the world why they are Hollywood A-list celebrities-it just goes to show that the petty diva acting, groveling for compliments all the time and continually making thier PR team TELL the world how sexy thye are is for the no-talent wanna-bes-take heed Jennifer Aniston and Maraih Carey-if you have to continually shove it in peoples face what a diva star you are chances are that you are really NOT

60. sue September 26, 2011 at 22:24 #

she’s always boring..her hair does not work with the dress

61. marina September 26, 2011 at 22:25 #