Sonam Kapoor also arrived on the red carpet for the 2011 Cannes Film Festival “The Artist” Premiere wearing a big bold Couture gown.

The Indian actress opted to wear a Jean Paul Gaultier Spring 2009 Couture gown.

Her gorgeous white gown with a mesh overlay and black print is beautiful, but I’m not doing cartwheels across my living room.

I really don’t like the part of the dress which is sticking out at the back, plus I don’t like the sleeve. They really throw the look off for me, but she does look beautiful.

[nggallery id=811]
Credit: Style.com & Getty

Who Was Your Best Dressed On Day 11 of Cannes Film Festival 2014?

Who Was Your Best Dressed On Day 11 of Cannes Film Festival 2014?

Li Bing Bing In Georges Chakra Spring 2011 Couture - 2011 Cannes Film Festival "The Artist" Premiere

Li Bing Bing In Georges Chakra Spring 2011 Couture – 2011 Cannes Film Festival “The Artist” Premiere

104 Responses to Sonam Kapoor In Jean Paul Gaultier Couture – 2011 Cannes Film Festival “The Artist” Premiere

1. amu May 15, 2011 at 19:32 #

r u kidding me?? i m certainly doing cartwheels in my room.. the best red carpet look so far :)_ love her so much :)

p.s she is the best dressed indian actress here in india.. aishwariya is not even in the top 5 acc to leading indian polls #bitter truth

• Fashion Critic May 15, 2011 at 19:36 #

No I’m not.

This won’t even make my top 10 of the week

• amu May 15, 2011 at 19:42 #

#heartbroken :(

but its ok, i totally respect ur opinion :)

• lady May 15, 2011 at 22:09 #

fashion critic, ignore amu. sonam fan girls are annoying and jump down anybody’s throat who criticize sonam. sonam is nothing in front of aishwarya rai.

• Lee May 15, 2011 at 19:50 #

lol – FC will be bombarded by Sonam fanatics who foolishly think she is some sort of fashionista because she loves to wear big name designers.

The gown is meh and I’m not feeling the hair and makeup. She has looked better.

Sonam should not try for the edgy look which does not suit her girl next door looks.

• Fashion Critic May 15, 2011 at 19:55 #

I’m sure it will, but I will always say how I feel. I received hate mail in the past from stars who have big fan bases, but I won’t and can’t change how I feel about a look.

• amu May 15, 2011 at 20:08 #

hey im entitled to my opinion too.. u r most welcome to not agree :) And i dint say anything bad to any one

• Talita May 15, 2011 at 20:09 #

Agreed. This is not a good look, it looks like a costume…

• Jazz May 15, 2011 at 23:20 #

i agree with Lady and FC. sonam looks okay, nothing to ‘oo’ and “ahh” about. certainly not anywhere near Aishwarya’s level

• Anna May 15, 2011 at 20:03 #

Except she’s not a top actress in India. All of her movies have bombed at the box office, except for one. Most have been super expensive films that ended up bombing.

• amu May 15, 2011 at 20:22 #

well anna, lets keep our talks to fashion only, cos this is a fashion site as far as i remember ;)

• Anna May 15, 2011 at 21:05 #

Sorry Amu, I was just correcting you :)

The dress isn’t that great. Fan Bing Bing is outshining her.

• Giuseppi Giraffe May 15, 2011 at 23:31 #

I loved this look- every inch of it, and I don’t think you’re being a fanatic or unfair either, Amu. :)

I like Aishwarya Rai too, but this just blew my mind.

• Sukriti May 16, 2011 at 14:38 #

I like aishwarya jst like any other good actress bt wat i wld like to point out to those who think that sonam kapoor is the top actress in india that she doesn’t have a single hit movie. So instead of pinning abt hw she’s the top actressi wld like to talk abt her style. I feel so-so abt this look of her’s bt there is something regal about the runwy look which i don’t feel on sonam. I lyk her make-up though. Bt i xpected smthng better frm sm1 who is so ga ga abt her style.

2. Anna May 15, 2011 at 19:35 #

she looks amazing, but I wish with all my heart this dress was one-shouldered. That one sleeve is totally unnecessary and puts the look a little off imo.

• mol May 15, 2011 at 19:42 #

I agree about the sleeve, but otherwise I think this is a knockout dress – beautiful!

3. anu May 15, 2011 at 19:39 #

lol fan bing bing’s GORGEOUS dress in the background really isnt helping sonam’s case!

4. Olga May 15, 2011 at 19:44 #

I think it’s great she didn’t wear something “safe” for her first day ever in Cannes. I really like this dress.

5. Alina May 15, 2011 at 19:45 #

I don’t love it. I don’t even like it.

6. la-karenina May 15, 2011 at 19:45 #

Sorry, but I’m not impressed.

7. Susana Yamaguchi May 15, 2011 at 19:47 #

Really loved it!
    She’s amazing!!

8. vicky May 15, 2011 at 19:49 #

Beautiful duck springs to mind….

9. slashdot May 15, 2011 at 19:50 #

Whatever is over the actual dress and the sleeve sure looks cheap and fishnety…

10. Fashionista23 May 15, 2011 at 19:54 #

i think it was a lovely look. sonam is one of the brightest stars we have in our country. and with her impeccable taste in fashion, she rarely gets it wrong. She makes the dress come alive. I love it, absolutely love it. :)

• lady May 15, 2011 at 22:12 #

brightest star. lol. sonam is a flop star poshspice23

• Sukriti May 16, 2011 at 14:41 #

brightest star??? You have gotta b kidding me..

11. Incroyable May 15, 2011 at 19:55 #

The long sleeve was totally unnecessary! And she looks alike a duck with that “addition” in the back. I think if she completely got rid of the tulle overlay she would look stunning in the white dress under. But who’s going to turn down a JPG Couture gown?

P.S. Dress was beautiful on the runway IMO.

• Incroyable May 15, 2011 at 19:58 #

Tulle=Organza**

• Fashion Critic May 15, 2011 at 20:06 #

I did a close up and it’s actually a mesh overlay like a string vest.

This is further put me off

• Incroyable May 15, 2011 at 21:08 #

Just when it couldn’t get worse it did. Now that you’ve pointed it out I see the mesh… She looks like a she’s walking around with her own decorated mosquito net.

• Fashion Critic May 15, 2011 at 21:24 #

Yep, that is the best description.

12. OFF/THE/RECORD May 15, 2011 at 20:01 #

I think in terms of the drama and glamor that this particular red carpet demands this is by far the best gown we’ve seen. And it is so unique that it stands out among the bright colors, blingy elements,feathers,laces that we’ve seen bing bing,uma thurman and mcadams sashay down.

The entire look is so unpredictable which is good…its not the bright white ,its dull yet shines out because of its silhouette and neither is the makeup or the accessories over the top.This girl is letting her gown and her personality do the talking…having said all the above things…i think something about her skin looks tired and tanned and also a stone /diamond encrusted hairpin might have made the look much better.

13. Terry May 15, 2011 at 20:01 #

She’s more beautiful than the dress.

• sharmila May 15, 2011 at 22:02 #

well explain why the mixture flopped?

• Terry May 15, 2011 at 22:29 #

I simply don’t like the dress: I think it’s over-dramatic and not well-balanced in shape and details. Luckily, her beauty shines through such a disappointing dress.

• sharmila May 15, 2011 at 22:49 #

Well I can wear my window blinds and make it into “oomph ”
          Yup she’s beautiful.
          To me beautiful….but very plain.

She doesn’t stop the show here!
          to me the dress is false arguement!

regards

14. Suz May 15, 2011 at 20:07 #

This is my favorite gown of Cannes thus far. I think it’s unique and beautiful, and Sonam looks great in it.

15. Weber from Brazil May 15, 2011 at 20:08 #

Damm
    When I first saw this pic I thought it was Camila Alves!!! :O
    I don’t know if I hate or love this look =/

16. Lee Ann May 15, 2011 at 20:09 #

I never have heard of her so apologies to her fan base but this is rather a peculiar dress . I don’t think I am alone in not doing cartwheels over a dress which makes her butt look huge from the side. Put it another way if Pippa had worn this there would be no Facebook pages devoted to her rear .

17. Jess May 15, 2011 at 20:10 #

Well, its nice to see something unusual on the redcarpet, but there were better dresses in this collection she could have picked.

18. Shopgirl May 15, 2011 at 20:10 #

Hmmm i dont know wt i feel about this dress .. I dont like the shoulder .. She have a gr8 body she should wear something make it look good .. But i lOve her up-do but dont like her make up alot ..

19. Neo May 15, 2011 at 20:16 #

Sonam fans need to calm down with the Ash comments. Ash is an icon. We all know all these other Indian actors are following Aishwarya there because it is Ash who made it what it is for them.

• Fashion Critic May 15, 2011 at 20:51 #

I don’t get the comparison either.

Yes Ash was first, but why do we need to compare the two?

Coming from an African background I’ve never understood why we need to pit ourselves against one another.

I think it is beautiful that there are now 2 beautiful Indian women working the red carpet at Cannes.

Lets celebrate that and stop in the in-fighting.

• sharmila May 15, 2011 at 23:04 #

Am from Indian origines(born in Guyana) …Living between Paris and New Delhi.

And everyone one I meet paises only Ash.
        The only positive-critic…is that she should hit-the-gym!

• Maria May 16, 2011 at 00:56 #

In contrast, I actually see Aishwarya fans doing the comparing and saying things like “Sonam is a nobody, Aishwarya is the leader” most of these things sound childish coming from fans of an actress who is highly popular! why the insecurity?! Sonam is a newcomer, this was her debut at Cannes. Wish fans of other Bollywood stars were more welcoming. Anyway, I’m sure the French media were.

20. diksha May 15, 2011 at 20:23 #

well wateva it is but i love her hair the styling is jus so classy and elegant and i totally agree with your back part that was sticiking out it looked weird and turned oof the whole feel and look of the gown.

21. Anna May 15, 2011 at 20:23 #

WOW! A stunning woman!

Dress is amazing too…in my Top 3.

FC you have to rethink your opinion with this one…. ;)

22. deena chauhan May 15, 2011 at 20:24 #

i love the 4th pic where you see the ms.kapoors dress literally butt out of her…and the fab-u-lous ms. f bing bing in the background…shining in her versace! totally puts sonam in the shade…

23. amu May 15, 2011 at 20:25 #

and guys its her first time at cannes.. lets show her a lil more love :)

24. Sonia May 15, 2011 at 20:35 #

What people need to understand is that there is difference between great style and great personal style. She has the luxury to afford many great designer pieces, thus people in India think that she is very stylish. But, she has no personal style. I have never seen her wear that a hollywood celebrity hasn’t. I’m pretty sure she follows blogs and celebrity fashion sites closely to keep up with what people in hollywood are wearing.

• Fashion Critic May 15, 2011 at 20:46 #

I don’t follow her, but from this look I understand what you are saying.

I had heard so much about her that when I saw this look I couldn’t help but feel a bit disappointed.

The gown needed more attitude. Dita would’ve killed in this gown.

• fardinkhan July 5, 2012 at 13:14 #

sniya fashion film

25. Gaber May 15, 2011 at 20:52 #

That’s one insane dress.
    I am not really feeling it, but the construction is fantastic. I am looking at the dress and I am not really sure what I am looking at – it’s just one surprise after another.

• easyBlake May 16, 2011 at 02:54 #

YES. And it is a bit costumey, probably why I LOVE IT. It’s great!

26. Kaylie May 15, 2011 at 21:09 #

I’m not a fan of the gown, but she herself is very beautiful. And I LOVE the hair! :)

27. aj May 15, 2011 at 21:09 #

how can she sit in this outfit?

28. A May 15, 2011 at 21:18 #

LOVEEE ITTT!!! Absolutely stunning!

29. ZG May 15, 2011 at 21:22 #

She’s looking nice but just like Aishwarya Rai she’s also posing as if she was on the ramp with the hands around her waste. can’t these actresses be normal and pose normal? look at Fan Bing Bing you never see her posing that way..she’s always posing normal and that makes her look even more beautiful. they don’t know how to be themselves..and that’s one big problem!

30. S May 15, 2011 at 21:22 #

She looks beautiful. But i wish the mesh overlay wasn’t all over the place.

PS- Crazy fans. No one’s hating on your girl! So relax :). But i think Ms. Rai has blown me away with her choices! Let’s hope we see more of Sonam at Cannes and go from there.

31. ZG May 15, 2011 at 21:22 #

around her waist** sorry for the typo :)

32. Dippa May 15, 2011 at 21:28 #

I think this is the most fun dress at Cannes so far. Or maybe it’s her smile and youthful personality that give that edge to the attire. I was getting a little bored of seeing beautiful women in pretty gowns..This dress looks like a blend of victorian era and 21st century gown. And she adds a hint of mischief to it.
    Gorgeous face!

• mol May 15, 2011 at 22:07 #

I agree – it makes me think of the Georges Seurat painting Sunday in the Park (I think that’s the title) Anyway, the sheer overlay is clever – like a window onto fashion history – and i too like the mischievous feel of it…..so even though it won’t be my favorite of the day, I do love the sexy fun it brings to the table…..

• Puja May 15, 2011 at 22:37 #

tht sheer over lay is nothing bt mosquito net

• mol May 16, 2011 at 00:41 #

Perhaps I should have said ‘see through’ as it is a mesh or net material, yes, but that doesn’t really change what I said….

33. -N May 15, 2011 at 21:29 #

THATS WHAT I’M TALKING ABOUT!!! Fabulous. Elegant. Edgy & a little Crazy .. I love it <3 (& i'm definitely not bored unlike Fan Bing)

34. Taty May 15, 2011 at 21:38 #

I think she is stunning!!
    I like the dress PLUS it fits her very well. It’s classy and original.
    I also love the hair and makeup. Great :D

35. sharmila May 15, 2011 at 22:00 #

I love her hair on the 2nd photo….the hair style look looks great there.
    The robe suits better the model.

not impressed! :-(

36. Luiza May 15, 2011 at 22:05 #

OMG what a controversial one! As a fashion lover, I think the dress is outstanding! I am not so fan of the heavy make up but other than that I think she is working it! Thanks for the coverage FC even on a sunday!

37. Nancy May 15, 2011 at 22:08 #

She is good for her first Cannes appearance. I like the dress from certain angles. Its beautiful.

38. Nitu May 15, 2011 at 22:30 #

WHAT!? i think she looked stunning! her dress looked great… one of the best all week! even better was her smile and confidence on the red carpet! overall great look! BEAUTIFUL!!

39. Letícia May 15, 2011 at 22:32 #

The dress is wearing her and although the dress itself is great, this is serious overkill.

40. Moxie May 15, 2011 at 22:38 #

Looks like she threw a mosquito net, including the hardware, over a regular gown. Sorry, not my taste at all.

41. Pablo May 15, 2011 at 22:38 #

Oh my! It was a long time since we had some fan-base drama! ;) So much fun! LOL

Fashionwise: I liked this look on the runway but I’m not sure how it was styled tonight on Sonam… it’s frightful!

• Fashion Critic May 15, 2011 at 22:40 #

LOL….@ Oh my! It was a long time since we had some fan-base drama!

42. Puja May 15, 2011 at 22:38 #

the gown look good frm far.. bt a closer look n tht mosquito net kill it for me..
    big disappointment..

43. CreoleLady May 15, 2011 at 23:00 #

Wow. Been away all day and I see i’ve missed a whole lot of drama, lol.

Gotta give some props to a woman who strikes a pose in unmodified Jean Paul Gaultier. I am not familiar with her (or her fan base) but I love this look, ridiculous, um, appurtenance and all. Usually, classic refinement wins for me but every now and then I go off the rails. I’m surprised I like this look!

44. penultimate__ May 15, 2011 at 23:03 #

Despite not knowing anything about Sonam, I actually really like this dress. Dita however, would have taken it to a whole other level.

45. Fromchi-town May 15, 2011 at 23:10 #

On first glance, I thnk she looks great, and the dress is very structural interesting. But then I looked at the mesh thing and that looks solo cheap. But she does look confident and beautiful.

I don’t understand why compare here with aishwarya rai. I am not saying ash is the best or anything (I am anything but an ash. Fan fashion wise) but they are two differerent individuals and the more Indians at Cannes the better. I don’t understand ash fans saying sonam looks bad, and I don’t agree with sonam fans just blindly fawning over this.

• Sukriti May 16, 2011 at 14:54 #

xactly..

46. mochababe73 May 16, 2011 at 02:30 #

I concur with you. The dress was beautiful until she turned around. What woman wants to wear a dress that makes her look like she has a big, old butt in the back.
    And Aishrywa’s looks so far have been leaps and bound better than hers.
    I don’t know anything about these two actresses so all of this back and forth is a little perturbing to me.

47. kirsty May 16, 2011 at 04:02 #

i think theres potential in this dress to look amazing but theres too many elements. i feel like it needed to be edited down a bit for the red carpet

48. S May 16, 2011 at 04:07 #

Love the skirt, HATE the sleeve. So I would give this one a 7/10. I don’t dislike the look but I’m disappointed because the skirt had SO much potential.

49. glycerine May 16, 2011 at 04:34 #

I loved when I first saw it, but then the close-ups left me completely dissapointed. If the sheer overlay was not mesh, but tulle or some other softer fabric instead, I would be singing a completely different tune. But kudos to her for trying to bring some drama on the Cannes red carpet.
    Atleast she managed to get noticed in a sea of boring gowns.

50. Emi May 16, 2011 at 07:01 #

The dress itself is very very interesting because of the cut, the construction… but it’s not so beautiful, honestly.

51. sally May 16, 2011 at 08:10 #

she might not be the best dressed.. but she did goood for her first time in cannes!

52. Khushi May 16, 2011 at 08:43 #

Not a Sonam fan but I thinks the dress looks fabulous…
    I like the fact that she took a risk with this dress…
    N it seems to be paying off really well for me…

And for the comparison with Ash..
    She looked good too.. But Ash doesnt try new looks like she does… Ash’s choices are always a little boring for me..

• Fashion Critic May 16, 2011 at 09:02 #

Why is every comment starting I’m not a Sonam fan, then tends with a Ash bash?

Starting to be a very common tiring theme.

53. natalie May 16, 2011 at 11:20 #

*sigh* Why did this turn into an Aishwarya/Sonam debate in some of the comments? I am personally not a huge fan of either, but both of them have looked gorgeous this year. And I do love this dress and I think she looks great, although I agree with FC that the sleeves and that weird thing at the back should have gone.

54. Samy May 16, 2011 at 15:39 #

I think that face on, she looks good. Facewise/Dresswise. – the dress is a bit crazy, but that’s why I love it. Its weird, surprising but not extremely OTT like Lady Gaga. < not hatin' just stating. I love the hair & makeup too. The dress isn't 'fabulous' but it's still great for her first year :) also, she took a risk in choosing it because from the back..it looks like it has a mind of it's own -.- all in all, good first Cannes appearance.

55. zina May 16, 2011 at 18:38 #

This was a futuristic kind of dress…the hair and her make-up was not the ideal support for this look.

56. Julie May 16, 2011 at 22:22 #

Her face is GORGEOUS!

Someone said she looks similar to Camilla Alves….I agree.

She looks like a Brazilian beauty.

57. Vee May 17, 2011 at 05:46 #

wow–ive never seen people so riled up.

anyhoo–i think this dress is stunning. i have no idea who this woman is but by these comments she appear to be a big deal.

58. J May 17, 2011 at 06:58 #

I loved this look on Sonam. She is the best dressed Indian actress and she definitely didn’t disappoint on the red carpet. The makeup could’ve been better but LOVE everything else about this look!!!

59. prashant May 17, 2011 at 15:39 #

aishwarya look was full of elegance and panache..I wouly call it a PEACH look…while sonam is really a fashionista..however make up was the weak point..all in all glad to have two ravishing beauties on the cannes red carpet..

60. daniel May 18, 2011 at 04:46 #

beautiful person but she is not selling to dress to me. and i do like her hairdo, tho for me it is too plain to go with the bolding gown

61. Jeeves May 18, 2011 at 19:29 #

Well, I think and hope that those Indian stars should go to Cannes ONLY in case there is an Indian film – in which they act – is showcased…
    We really do not care who is Sonam..Who is she, really? After seeing her pic, I think that she is is a pretty modest beauty, nothing comes out fom that pic, and her JPG costume is horrible, to say the least.
    Tilda Swinton is not young, she is not beuatiful, but next to this young pretty prerry young Indian starlet, in her simple blue gown, she looks like a spendid
    example of a true STAR!

62. jkrau May 20, 2011 at 23:43 #

It sounds like those who know of Sonam — her personality and her past fashion choices — aren’t liking this as much, but as someone who had never heard of her before (sorry!) I think this look is STUNNING!!!!!!!

This is what Cannes is all about!

Plus, SHE is clearly enjoying it!

63. Sue Jin June 4, 2011 at 09:55 #

I don’t like the sleeve or the back either. Her smile is beautiful though.