Menu

This, my dears, is the ONLY gown I had to see at this 2011 Cannes Film Festival.

Of course it was the Queen of Cannes 2011 who graced the red carpet wearing it.

The Queen is Fan Bing Bing and the gown is of course Atelier Versace.

I’ll admit I did picture this gown on Penelope Cruz, but it’s breath-taking on Fan.

Someone strangely said it always looks like Fan took hours to get ready, well I would hope so otherwise it would mean she was not human.

Her ombre violet to light pink strapless Atelier Versace Spring 2011 gown was made of hand brushed chiffon ruffles.

She teamed her gown with a Versace clutch and Cartier jewel.

Whilst this was always my must see Cannes gown, I’m glad its has been modified. I always pictured it without the high neckline which I’m sure many of you did as well.

[nggallery id=810]

Credit: Versace.com & Getty

Mia Wasikowska In Philosophy di Alberta Ferretti – Finch’s Quarterly Review Filmmakers Dinner May 15th, 2011

Sonam Kapoor In Jean Paul Gaultier Couture - 2011 Cannes Film Festival "The Artist" Premiere

Sonam Kapoor In Jean Paul Gaultier Couture – 2011 Cannes Film Festival “The Artist” Premiere

81 Responses to Fan Bing Bing In Atelier Versace – 2011 Cannes Film Festival “The Artist” Premiere

1. Fernando May 16, 2011 at 07:09 #

When i saw this dress the first time it came out in the versace atelier collection i thought it was pretty weird and that it looked cheap, for me at least… but this girl really made me love it. she totally got my respect with that hair never had seen someone that made her hair to look like the ruffles of their skirt to compliment , i just have such a respect for her in the red carpet, since last year and i at least for me… each time i read Fan bingbing in a headline i just take a breath and wait for thephoto and when i see it a just like think “Damn, how is she going to top this next time”, and well… she always does.

2. Emi May 16, 2011 at 07:05 #

The necklace was unnecessary, this incredible gown does it all the work. The beautiful watch was enough. But I don’t see her as a Versace girl, I don’t know why. I quite agree about the fact that Penelope would have looked better with this than in Marchesa.

3. mandy May 16, 2011 at 04:36 #

Stunning. But it sure does remind me of Zoe Saldana’s Givenchy Couture dress at the Oscars.

4. Anubha May 16, 2011 at 04:22 #

I actually find this dress quite hideous .Anyone seconding that ?

5. KateS May 16, 2011 at 04:17 #

I also get the givenchy re-run vibe from this dress, and I liked the white ombre much better than the pink here. It’s a bit sickly sweet. FBB looks glamorous, as usual, but the jewellery isn’t necessary and I’m not blown away.

6. bella May 16, 2011 at 04:10 #

i love the color ,i love her hair,i love everything about this ,she is so so so amazing ~!!

• Rachel May 16, 2011 at 09:13 #

Cant agree more ! Perfect skin perfect features …Flawless in every way . Fan is the Queen of Red Carpet ….definitely !!!! Every star has their own styling team but this girl certainly has a mind of her own . Joan Rivers from Fashion Police said the famous turban Fan wore to the Elie Saab dinner was actually a cami she tied and threw on her head!!!!!!

• Fashion Critic May 16, 2011 at 09:24 #

“”Quote: Joan Rivers from Fashion Police said the famous turban Fan wore to the Elie Saab dinner was actually a cami she tied and threw on her head!””

Joan Rivers read that from THIS site.

Joan was NOT at the Elie Saab show, she knows nothing about Fashion she is a comedian. I found out that Fan was wearing a make-shift turban from the team at Elie Saab.

God I hate it when people quote Joan Rivers to me on my site. It is SO incredibly insulting.

7. mochababe73 May 16, 2011 at 02:00 #

I really like this. The degrade’ is pretty as are the neckline and structured corset. Amazing.

8. Raquel May 16, 2011 at 01:04 #

I’m not sure if I like the dress itself that much, seems like something we’ve seen before a thousand times, from the bodice to the ruffles, and yes, Penelope Cruz has worn the same style many times.

Still, she looks flawless, and gorgeous.

9. Michelle May 16, 2011 at 00:54 #

Love this dress, love Fan!!!

10. Tangs May 15, 2011 at 22:39 #

OMG! She s GORGEOUS!!! look at her beautiful skin !!!

11. June May 15, 2011 at 22:31 #

So beautiful!

12. sharmila May 15, 2011 at 22:26 #

This is the best dress of the day.
    I loved who she played with the camera.

I have an impression Aish/Eva…..are calling Fan Bing Bing copy cat!

deja vue non? 🙂

13. Femme May 15, 2011 at 21:57 #

Okay, now I know for sure: Fan Bing Bing is definitely reading this blog!!

14. S May 15, 2011 at 21:27 #

She looks gorgeous! But its similar to a dress Zoe’s wore a few months back. Hence, I’m not totally blown away.

15. eva May 15, 2011 at 21:26 #

So breath-taking! I am totally a fan of Fan now!

16. couturecoco May 15, 2011 at 21:23 #

Amazing gown but I hate the hair. It just doesn’t work for me. She is very beautiful and that’s why I am so sad to see her end up looking contrived. Would love to see loose wavy hair to balance the structure of the dress.

17. Erini May 15, 2011 at 20:21 #

Perfection, she is heavenly!

18. Elle May 15, 2011 at 20:17 #

Yes, she looks stunning and her dress is absolutely gorgeous, but I WISH she paid a little more attention to the details to make this look absolute perfection. Her clutch and jewels look a bit flimsy (I say that when they’re Cartier, oh the irony lol) and the dress is kinda tight around her waist…

19. diksha May 15, 2011 at 20:16 #

she is breathtakingly refreshing and amazing… i love her skin and looks ..she takes the wind out of my sail

20. Jess May 15, 2011 at 20:05 #

Hmm something about the transition from bodice to ruffled skirt doesn’t quite flow properly. It looks a bit odd to me. Plus, of course the dress is instantly reminiscent of the Givenchy gown. Still, Bingbing is wonderful and works the dress well.

21. Lee Ann May 15, 2011 at 20:02 #

Ever since I saw her in Paris and thought “what the heck was that” I really haven’t been a fan but looks like this might change my mind.

22. Wendy May 15, 2011 at 20:01 #

I am totally a fan of Fan Bing Bing!

FC, did you see Fan’s red Elie Saab dress to her movie “My Way” event on 5/15? I felt like I was in heaven seeing her in that dress!

• KEN May 16, 2011 at 07:06 #

you mean the red one?

23. Hisadora May 15, 2011 at 20:01 #

Goddess. She looks picture perfect. Enough said.

24. Lucía May 15, 2011 at 19:54 #

Beautiful. I don’t think it could be any better

25. Incroyable May 15, 2011 at 19:40 #

Love the dress on the model. Am I the only one that’s not head over heals for Fan Bing Bing? She looks nice, but she has yet to blow me away.

• Kelly May 15, 2011 at 20:46 #

You aren’t the only one who isn’t head over heels for her. I’m assuming she has a stylist who helps get her access to these dresses or has some input into what she gets. She looks good and has yet to make a major fashion mistake. I think that’s why many people praise her. She just seems too short to be wearing some of these dresses, especially the Versace ones. Also, the Chinese dresses that she wears seem too costume like on her.

• Incroyable May 15, 2011 at 21:22 #

I agree completely! I feel like if some one else wore most of the dresses she’s worn it would make me drool, but there’s something thats not wowing me when I see her. And her makeup is normally “off” in my opinion, like in this pic, too much eye lashes and mascara.

26. Elaine May 15, 2011 at 19:39 #

AMAAAAAAZING!!!! Defo Best dressed of Cannes!!! I can’t stop gushing! Perfect

27. LizLemoooon May 15, 2011 at 19:34 #

She is PERFECT. BDOTY. Queen of Cannes.

• Victoria May 15, 2011 at 19:43 #

Agreed to all the above! 😀

28. A May 15, 2011 at 19:33 #

My favourite dress from this collection! Stunning! <3 This woman just nails it every single time!

29. San be May 15, 2011 at 19:31 #

Good one, but can’t wait for Sonam Kapoor’s critique, she’s so fashion forward.

30. Simon May 15, 2011 at 19:30 #

She did it ! Fan has been a legend!
    Make it BIG or stay home. I love her!

31. Anna May 15, 2011 at 19:27 #

I love Versace, but I think this dress is really tacky. I don’t know, it’s something about the bodice and especially the colour-scheming… it looks much better on the model, with the high-neckline, makes it a lot more interesting. Besides that, her hair is truly awful. She’s a fashion risk-taker and I admire her for that, but it doesn’t always pay off, which is the case

32. justme May 15, 2011 at 19:26 #

Is there an adress I can write Fan Bingbing to to tell her how FREAKING FLAWLESS she is?
    She looks amazing. I would’ve done without the necklace but it’s not heavy enough for me to even complain about it.

33. mari May 15, 2011 at 19:22 #

AH! Gorgeous! And this time there is no SJPblocking my view!
    Sewwt and flirty attitude. This dress looks so good in someone without a fake tan. Good that no some baked out actress wore it before.

34. mol May 15, 2011 at 19:20 #

I’m sure alot (most?) of you will disagree, but I like the runway version better as that neckline gives a bit of sharpness (angularity, shape) to the dresses endless cascade of ruffles. That said, I have to give to Fan Bing Bing props for looking wonderful, I especially like the way her hair has been done, as if the compliment all the ruffles on her gown – u see this detail best on the second pix in on the bottom.

• Rashmi May 16, 2011 at 00:46 #

Totally agree with u ..

35. From Russia With Love May 15, 2011 at 19:18 #

I’m not a fan of watches on red-carpet. Especially since we know they are borrowed. Isn’t it against etiquette to wear visible watch with a formal attire?

• A May 15, 2011 at 19:35 #

Not really, this is clearly a jewellery watch not a regular one. I think certain differences need to be made. There is no other occasion where this kind of watch would be justified.

36. Victoria May 15, 2011 at 19:16 #

Ahhh! Are words even needed? 😀 All I can say is, thank goodness for Fan Bing Bing. LOVE her. 😀

P.S. This look is already being filed under my BDOTY list haha!

• Fashion Critic May 15, 2011 at 19:23 #

ditto

37. Juno Says Hello May 15, 2011 at 19:16 #

This really reminds me of the Givenchy gown that Zoe Saldana wore to the Oscars last year!

• nina May 15, 2011 at 20:09 #

It was my first thought also, I thought it was Givanchy.
      But she do looks good, but I really dont like necklace, think is too much.

38. Nat May 15, 2011 at 19:16 #

OMYGOSH! I had to pinch myself and take a double look at this. This feels so unreal and my jaw is still on the floor. Fan looks amazing. The cascading ombre is stunning as well

39. noo May 15, 2011 at 19:15 #

this is right up there with last year’s dragon robe 😀 but her hair is rubbing me the wrong way!!!!!!!!!!!!

40. Moxie May 15, 2011 at 19:15 #

Exquisite! BDOTY contender for me.

41. maria May 15, 2011 at 19:13 #

as much as i love this dress, i don’t like the styling. It did not need the necklace and i would have wished for a different hairstyle. A bit more edgy maybe. I don’t think the dress shines as much as expected.

42. Voguette May 15, 2011 at 19:13 #

This girl usually does nothing for me, no matter what she wears

• perfumeorpoison May 15, 2011 at 20:28 #

i have to agree 🙁
      and i prefer the original version of the dress.

43. Talita May 15, 2011 at 19:12 #

I much prefer the model version, I don’t like the ruffles in the bodice. Plus her hair is not for my liking.

• Gaber May 15, 2011 at 20:42 #

Aye, the model version is amazing.
      To bad about the modification.

• Jo May 15, 2011 at 21:11 #

i agree.. and i dont like her choice of jewels.. i think it ages the feel of the dress.. i think something less classic would have made for better styling..

• Letícia May 15, 2011 at 22:53 #

My thoughts exactly, the original was so amazing. And I almost never like her hair, she tends to pick styles that age her a little.

44. Binha May 15, 2011 at 19:11 #

It’s been awhile I’ve been so impressed about someone’s fashion choices in such a short time. Fashion diva, didn’t get anything wrong this week. I’m amazed.

45. Terry May 15, 2011 at 19:11 #

She’s really amazing, classy no matter what. The dress is magnificent, even if I actually like the original version better: I love the sexy detail of the high neckline and cut-out.

46. amu May 15, 2011 at 19:10 #

doesnt this gown reminds of you the givenchy gown that zoe saldana wore at the oscars some time ago.. 🙂

• -N May 15, 2011 at 19:21 #

Yeah it does except its the reverse version :p .. not crazy about this dress though!

• Elaine May 15, 2011 at 19:40 #

Ha I thought the same too!

• amu May 15, 2011 at 20:28 #

yupp.. zoe’s gown was a lil more puffy 😉

• nunoliuliu May 16, 2011 at 10:04 #

LOL~no wonder it looks familier….googled”zoe saldana oscar”and ….just like N’s said:reverse version 😛 anyway, fan looks OK but hate the necklace and the watch. Prefer her loose hair and light make-up

47. Fashionmeal May 15, 2011 at 19:07 #

That totally looks like Gaultier!

48. Dorian Gray May 15, 2011 at 19:05 #

She’s the one. AMAZING figure, amazing dress, everything screams perfection!

49. Marvel May 15, 2011 at 19:04 #

This is great but I wish she didnt opt for a necklace.

Penelope would have looked great

• Pablo May 15, 2011 at 22:43 #

I feel the same. I was also wanting this for Penelope.

I don’t want to say Fan isn’t working the hell out of the dress, but I’m not too fond of the necklace. And not too fond of the hair either.

• Rachel May 16, 2011 at 08:49 #

No i disagree…look at Penelope in Marchesa , she doesnt have the body to pull it off anymore….:((

50. Paddy M May 15, 2011 at 18:59 #

I didn’t think anyone could top Aishwarya Rai’s Armani Prive dress from a few days ago. But then this came along. I haven’t been able to close my mouth since – I am gobsmacked. Good God she is amazing.

• amu May 15, 2011 at 19:11 #

wait for sonam kapoor.. she is gonna fail every one on the red carpet 🙂

• Fashion Critic May 15, 2011 at 19:30 #

I think that is an exaggeration.

I can tell from this comment that she will win BDOTD based on her fan base rather than merit which is a shame.

• liv May 18, 2011 at 08:15 #

if u can be like her one day.i mean as beautiful as her,u can say that words.however,maybe in a different life?ha.