Sarah Jessica Parker In Valentino – 2011 New York City Ballet Spring Gala

Sarah Jessica Parker opted for a less puffy hairstyle when she attended the 2011 New York City Ballet Spring Gala with husband Matthew Broderick last night.

The ‘Sex And The City’ actress wore a romantic Valentino Pre-Fall 2011 dress.

I love the longer version of her sheer dress with a lightly embellished overlay. I can imagine the shorter version on the Fanning sisters.

As much as I love this look, I’m going to beg SJP to please opt for a clutch instead of those crossbody bags she favours.

They give off a ‘just got off from work’ vibe.

[nggallery id=793]
Credit: Style.com & Getty

Britney Spears In Herve Leger by Max Azria - The St. Bernard Project & The Spears Family Presents An Evening Of "Southern Style"

Britney Spears In Herve Leger by Max Azria – The St. Bernard Project & The Spears Family Presents An Evening Of “Southern Style”

Emily Browning In Louis Vuitton - 2011 Cannes Film Festival "Sleeping Beauty" Photocall

Emily Browning In Louis Vuitton – 2011 Cannes Film Festival “Sleeping Beauty” Photocall

27 Responses to Sarah Jessica Parker In Valentino – 2011 New York City Ballet Spring Gala

1. Pati May 12, 2011 at 11:18 #

I feel exactly the same way! Those bags are driving me nuts! I mean its fine on the school run, but with elegant gowns they just look weird… And I would opt the necklace out… Don´t think it was necessary with all the embellishments.. Other than that- she looks great! Love the dress and the earrings!

2. Gaber May 12, 2011 at 11:23 #

The first thing I noticed about this look was the bag – and it manages to completely and utterly kill the look.
    Honey, no.

3. Natalia May 12, 2011 at 11:41 #

I beg to differ: I love bags like this and am a bit tired of uncomfortable clutches, which often make women look like they so don’t want to be carrying them:)

4. -N May 12, 2011 at 11:44 #

The dress is too long & the bag is ruining it for me! -.-

5. Ana Kay May 12, 2011 at 11:46 #

I agree! The bag takes attention from the glamour of the dress… it kills the elegance of the dress.
    But loooove the dress – its so pretty!

6. B May 12, 2011 at 11:47 #

I don’t HATE the bag, but agree it would be better without it. I adore the dress on her though, she looks great. Loving seeing so much Valentine out and about recently, such beautiful clothes.

7. eimearoconnor May 12, 2011 at 11:50 #

Totally agree about the ‘just got off work vibe’ from the bag! haha perfect description!

8. eimearoconnor May 12, 2011 at 11:51 #

oh just noticed the necklace.. why is it under the gown….?

9. Kaz May 12, 2011 at 11:56 #

She looks soooo pretty in that third close up pic.

I think she is glowing and love the ensemble – although I would definitely swap the bag for a clutch.

10. Jennie May 12, 2011 at 12:19 #

the first thing i noticed was that her wrinkles are gone… did she get botox? i know she was persistent to stay natural for awhile…

11. anna May 12, 2011 at 12:21 #

I love the bag…it adds that quirky factor and SJP totally owns the look!

12. Jen May 12, 2011 at 12:29 #

The bag isn’t my favorite, but I freakin’ abhor sheer sleeves. Just make it sleeveless!

13. Molly May 12, 2011 at 12:45 #

I like the bag and the necklace because thats her, thats how she rolls. She wants to be able to use her hands! Without those touches, she’s just a woman in a beautiful dress ya know? Those are the touches that make her style hers a mon avis!

• mol May 12, 2011 at 16:20 #

I have to agree :-)

14. Lils May 12, 2011 at 12:47 #

I prefer her modified version of the dress but I deplore her bag choice. There is another element that’s bothering me: her necklace. I don’t think it was needed as we can’t see it.

15. Alina May 12, 2011 at 13:25 #

I’m happy to see her looking good.

16. Lucía May 12, 2011 at 13:31 #

I think this is one of the only times I love how she looks.

17. Laura May 12, 2011 at 13:44 #

The bag does take the look down a notch but the dresses really something. I love it long.

18. robbie May 12, 2011 at 14:40 #

im trying really hard to like it, but i just cant. it would have been nice if it was all one colour. but it looks like she was wading through dirty water.

19. Jennifer May 12, 2011 at 14:45 #

Absolutely STUNNING.

20. Rebecca May 12, 2011 at 16:03 #

Maybe the necklace is under the gown because SHE decided it was too much–but too late to leave it at home. The bag is a problem and the dress is toooo long for her–just kills the look

21. Jennesia May 12, 2011 at 17:31 #

You know like many of the previous commenter’s i hate the addition of the cross body bag. It makes the look seem so much more casual than I think what she was going for. I actually liked the longer skirt.

22. KimberlyNYC May 12, 2011 at 20:32 #

I ADORE the bag…it is the VBH “Origami Square” bag made of python and I have the same one in gold..photographs do not do it justice, and if you could see it up close, you would see an amazing work of art!

23. Emi May 12, 2011 at 21:46 #

I don’t understand the choice of the bag. I quite like the dress but sorry… Carrie was the one with great looks, quite OTT sometimes but she’s SJP and sometimes she doesn’t dress well.

24. Raquel May 13, 2011 at 08:02 #

She’s lost her mojo…

25. sharmila May 16, 2011 at 14:07 #

she’s a beauty or turn on…… on screen!

but the minuite you see her on the cat walk….she falls into the ordinary!…and don’t matter what designer’s high fashion dresses she wear….she’s still ordinary!
    Lack of height!…when you have height you’re blessed!