No no no no no.

This is Cannes Film Festival so therefore it’s not too much to ask for all the female celebrities to wear a gown.

I don’t know if Rachel McAdams tactic was to distract us from the fact that she’s officially dating Michael Sheen (??), but this look is too casual for my liking.

This gold bustier with super long pants Monique Lhuillier Spring 2011 is not a bad look; it’s just not the right look for this occasion.

Amrapali rose cut diamond bangles and a Ferragamo gold metal minaudière completed her look.

Credit: Getty

Aishwarya Rai In Armani Privé - 2011 Cannes Film Festival "Sleeping Beauty" Premiere"

Aishwarya Rai In Armani Privé – 2011 Cannes Film Festival “Sleeping Beauty” Premiere”

Jane Fonda In Emilio Pucci - 2011 Cannes Film Festival "Sleeping Beauty" Premiere"

Jane Fonda In Emilio Pucci – 2011 Cannes Film Festival “Sleeping Beauty” Premiere”

53 Responses to Rachel McAdams In Monique Lhuillier – 2011 Cannes Film Festival “Sleeping Beauty” Premiere”

1. Moxie May 12, 2011 at 18:46 #

A big fat NO on so many levels. No to the hem touching the ground. No tihs is not a red carpet look. No to the hair. Just no, no, no…

2. Talita May 12, 2011 at 18:48 #

I don’t agree with the wear a gown memo. I believe at Cannes the actress can try something more relaxed for a premiere. She looks adorable and the combo -sparkling top and pants – is red carpet worthy for me.

• Badaboum May 12, 2011 at 19:09 #

I agree, this is not even her premiere: she probably wanted to look more relaxed but still elegant.
      I really like it, I wish she had worn the belt though.

• Vidhya May 12, 2011 at 19:15 #

Totally agree!!!!!

• Emi May 12, 2011 at 21:04 #

I agree with you all. She’s beautiful and I don’t think there’s a law about wearing gowns at Cannes. She looked absolutely stunning and glamorous yesterday so I like that she chose something more relaxed. I think she should have kept the belt, anyway.

• Lils May 13, 2011 at 09:47 #

Same here and I agree with you about the belt. She is very glamorous.

• Mel May 12, 2011 at 22:43 #

I agree, in fact I think this is fresh air for the festival, sometimes there’re too much diva gown. Plus she looks great, maybe the clutch is a bit matchy.

Diference makes fashion interesting, or doesn’t it?

• ME May 13, 2011 at 03:23 #

I agree. I LOVE this on her. She looks fantastic and it’s something different.

• Kimmy May 14, 2011 at 06:25 #

I agree, she looks very very stunning! It’s Cannes red carpet worthy for me. If this were a plain bustier and wide leg pants, it would be a no no. But look at it! The gold bustier, just stunning!

3. anne May 12, 2011 at 18:51 #

I love this post. Especially the question marks:) . I agree, there’s a time and place for everything and on this ocassion it doesn’t feel right. The top part works but the pants are way to casual. Oh well, first miss.

• noo May 12, 2011 at 18:57 #

i agree :D

4. Letícia May 12, 2011 at 18:52 #

I’m on the fence… I just like her so much I kinda think it’s “edgy”.

5. gragriP. May 12, 2011 at 18:53 #

sigh…I knew this was gonna happen! such a shame……she is so beautiful…( also michael ;D ) why would she dress like this is beyond me

6. dee May 12, 2011 at 18:55 #

I don’t like this outfit. It is not working on her.

7. Grazia for Fashionwidget May 12, 2011 at 18:56 #

HOW could she do this? This look offends my eyes. Rachel you are on the Cannes red carpet not lounging by the pool at your hotel. UGH! It’s a no from me. I’m sorry.

~Grazia for Fashionwidget

8. maria May 12, 2011 at 19:00 #

i actually do not dislike it. I think that it works, since this is not her premiere and it’s still festive but somewhat relaxed. I adore her makeup, the lipstick colour is great

• Fashion Critic May 12, 2011 at 19:02 #

It’s not Aishwarya Rai Premiere.

Sorry, but saying that this is not her premiere is a poor excuse for her to dress this way.

• Mary May 12, 2011 at 19:18 #

I actually agree with Maria, it is nice to see something different on the red carpet, I really like this look :D

9. Jen May 12, 2011 at 19:02 #

SWEET JESUS.

This is so terrible I have no words.

10. Lara May 12, 2011 at 19:05 #

But I love it though!!! Sorry, but I LOVE it!

11. Pati May 12, 2011 at 19:08 #

I totally like the look, but I would keep the runway belt. AND I would wear it to a photocall or a dinner- not the Cannes Film Festival Premiere!

• mari May 13, 2011 at 02:37 #

ITA what you said

12. Alina May 12, 2011 at 19:09 #

I understand that she might have wanted to feel more relaxed but she could have found another way to do that. Maybe an elegant flowy dress (Elie Saab,Ralph Lauren etc.).

13. Jennesia May 12, 2011 at 19:10 #

I like it! Obviously it’s not appropriate for this occasion but i liked that she chose to do something different. On another note uhm the hair? Why is her darkened roots peaking out at me…..!

14. Ann May 12, 2011 at 19:12 #

Fresh, young, modern and unpredictable . But if you are against pants on a red carpet no matter how great the look is it is “no no no no no”.

15. Shelby May 12, 2011 at 19:33 #

The look works, but shouldn’t be worn at Cannes. If there’s one time where celebrities should indulge their feminine side, this is it!

16. mm May 12, 2011 at 19:54 #

I am outta the loop on Martin Sheen, he is 71. Let me find out Martin is pullin the young hotties. LOL!

I agree she should have worn a gown.

• Fashion Critic May 12, 2011 at 20:12 #

Michael Sheen

• mm May 12, 2011 at 20:51 #

Oh Whew! My fault

17. Luiza May 12, 2011 at 19:56 #

yeah, she looks too casual, but i muuuch prefer this look to that marchesa gown

• Jen May 13, 2011 at 00:28 #

You know what – I agree with you on that. But then, I generally loathe Marchesa.

18. Maddie May 12, 2011 at 19:59 #

I’ve never noticed it before but Rachel looks like Reese Witherspoon.
    This look is ‘meh’ and a little forgettable to me, but yeah it’s definately not for Cannes.

19. jeremy May 12, 2011 at 20:01 #

It looks okay but I wish she’d wear a suit instead of top like that.

20. From Russia With Love May 12, 2011 at 20:05 #

I dreamed about some Monique Lhuillier being worn in Cannes. But seriously? Of all her poufy over the top ballgowns with crinolines she chose a jumpsuit?!
    No no no no no no…

21. Amna May 12, 2011 at 20:06 #

she looks great but as you said this is Cannes, we want gowns, gowns n more gowns!!!

22. mol May 12, 2011 at 20:09 #

I think she looks adorable, but the pants are too casual in their material – there’s such a disjuncture between the gold top and the everyday looking pants. In another context, it would be interesting though, the pants make her legs look longer than they are……..still, I can’t deny that I love how she looks so I feel quite conflicted here!

23. Lucía May 12, 2011 at 20:10 #

I would love this if it wasn’t for this ocassion. Maybe it would have been better in another color, too

24. Sophie May 12, 2011 at 21:06 #

I kinda like it =)
    But would probably be better for a photocall than for the red carpet…

25. HP May 12, 2011 at 21:12 #

I agree it isn’t right for Cannes but I do they she looks really great so I’d let it slid…

26. Hisadora May 12, 2011 at 21:25 #

Yes, she looks beautiful.. BUT this is not a look for Cannes!!!!!

• noo May 13, 2011 at 00:18 #

i cannot even believe that these pants made it to cannes :P she could have worn ANYTHING. this is what couture houses live for and she wears this ?!!!!!!

• Fashion Critic May 13, 2011 at 10:08 #

that’s what bugs me too. ALL the major designers are in Cannes with suites full of gowns they are throwing at celebs and she picks this????

Still don’t get it.

27. iart May 13, 2011 at 01:38 #

no no no
    she looks fun, flirty and refreshing!
    Pants or not, it’s great to see someone take a risk and look fabulous!

28. NineteenEightyFour May 13, 2011 at 02:10 #

Sorry RCFA, but I do love this look, it may not be for Cannes but i don’t always think that over the top long train, bejewelled dresses etc, should be the staple of the red carpet, it is refreshing and rachel looks more comfortable in this than she did in her red dress the day before.

29. Valeriem May 13, 2011 at 05:24 #

at least its better than that fez hat she worn coming in from the airport!!! but agree – pretty bad here…

30. roxana May 13, 2011 at 09:18 #

with so many beautiful dresses to choose from, she opted for pants!!! how stupid!

31. D May 13, 2011 at 09:39 #

oh no not for cannes!!

and i prefer the version with the belt

32. sevenstories May 13, 2011 at 15:43 #

So I agree that this is horrible but because I don’t like it, not because it’s trousers. I think the view the women have to wear dresses on the red carpet is outdated and sexist. Antonion Banderas was wearing jeans and an open shirt at the Puss in Boots event whilst Salma Hayek had a leather dress and feathery shrug on. There’s such double standards for men and women on the red carpet. I think that Rachel looks glamorous, even if I don’t like the outfit per se. Imagine if you were told you had to wear a skirt suit at work, rather than a trouser suit, for an important meeting! That would be seen as discrimantory and old-fashioned. Women can look glam and formal in trousers. My issue here is that I don’t like the look – that shape trouser is so hard to pull off, and everything is beige about from her floating lips!

• sevenstories May 13, 2011 at 15:44 #

Apologies for the misspelling of discriminatory.

33. Laura May 15, 2011 at 17:11 #

NO NO NO NO NO!

Even if this was event-appropriate, the proportions are off. It’s too high waisted. Should’ve worn this to a photocall. A Cannes premiere is not the time or place for this look. Have some respect.

34. sharmila May 16, 2011 at 11:22 #

Model is hotter!

She should have sun tanned to pull it off!
    it looks tone-sur-tone!
    geeee change your stylist!

35. Renata May 16, 2011 at 12:39 #

I actually love this. I think it’s refreshing, still elegant.

36. Ice May 20, 2011 at 15:30 #