09.05.11

“Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty” Exhibition

On my last day in New York I revisited the Metropolitan Museum of Art, this time to experience the “Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty” exhibition.

As I walked in I was greeted by two breath-taking McQueen creations and I knew I was in for a spectacular visual treat.

I was total geek walking around the exhibition with the headset, because I wanted to learn so much more about McQueen.

On one of the recordings, Sarah Jessica Parker shared that Lee McQueen was a painfully shy person, so much so that on the 80 block ride to the Met Gala they never uttered a word.

Sarah Burton, Philip Treacy and other people who worked with Lee also shared their heart-warming stories about the perfectionist who loved birds and found beauty in the grotesque.

The exhibition housed many iconic McQueen pieces such as the Spring 1999 robot spray painted dress worn by Shalom Harlow, the ethereal ‘hologram’ organza dress famously worn by Kate Moss in a video for McQueen’s Autumn/Winter 2006 finale, and the pair of hand-carved wooden prosthetic legs made for Aimee Mullins who walked in McQueen’s Spring 1999 presentation.

The exhibition showcased pieces from McQueen’s 1992 MA Graduate collection, right up to his final Fall 2010 collection (which was one the few pieces to be kept behind glass) plus some of the Givenchy Haute Couture pieces he created for the French design house.

The exhibition ended with the Plato’s Atlantis Spring 2010 collection; the last collection we saw whilst the designer was still alive; complete with the famous armadillo boots, which Sarah Burton said on one of the recordings, “They aren’t as hard to walk in as you would expect.”

Speaking of the armadillo boots, I got a really cute miniature version from the gift shop along with the ‘Savage Beauty’ book which is available from AlexanderMcQueen.com.

Valentino designers Pier Paolo Piccioli and Maria Grazia Chiuri were in front of me in the queue, and they purchased about 6 books between them. Everyone wanted this book as a momento.

The exhibition runs until the July 31st, so if you’re in New York you must check it out.

Credit: Getty

Cheryl Cole In Stella McCartney - The X Factor Newcastle Auditions

Cheryl Cole In Stella McCartney – The X Factor Newcastle Auditions

Kylie Minogue In Alexander McQueen - 2011 Billboard Music Awards

Kylie Minogue In Alexander McQueen – 2011 Billboard Music Awards

16 Responses to “Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty” Exhibition

1. Megan May 9, 2011 at 10:11 #

Wow you are so lucky! whoever says fashion isn’t an artform should really go visit this just from these pictures I am in amazement.

2. Lara J May 9, 2011 at 10:18 #

I am beyond jealous that you got to see it in person!! Although I would have been totally overwhelmed, I got the ‘Savage Beauty’ book, but have only been able to look at it a bit at a time because it’s so amazing!

Did you have a favourite part of the exhibition? I suspect the narration by those who knew him would have been a fantastic insight into Lee McQueen.

• Fashion Critic May 9, 2011 at 10:30 #

I learnt so much from all of the exhibition so I didn’t really have a favourite part.

3. Martin May 9, 2011 at 10:31 #

Oh my God, I am SO unspeakably jealous. Although the MET Costume Institute Gala failed to live up to my expectations in that the three women who most beautifully represent Alexader McQueen’s aesthetic and vision for me (Cate Blanchett, Lady Gaga and Bjork) were not in attendance, I am pleased to hear that the exhibition itself is amazing.

Fashion Critic, it must have been heaven for you to see McQueen’s final A/W collection, which you have continually yearned to see on the red carpet, up close and in such amazing detail (albeit behind glass). I was reading in The New York Times last week that the first day of the exhibition set an attendance record for the Costume Institute. McQueen would have been so proud.

Have a safe trip home FC xx

• Fashion Critic May 9, 2011 at 10:35 #

I’m already home ;)

With regards to the exhibition it was amazing to see the Fall 2010 collection up close. The detail that went into the gold feathered coat is outstanding.

There was a lot of people of all ages and backgrounds at the exhibition and you had to wait in line to see some parts of it, so I’m not surprised that it broke records.

4. Martin May 9, 2011 at 10:46 #

Glad to hear you made it home safe!

• Fashion Critic May 9, 2011 at 10:47 #

5. Leah May 9, 2011 at 12:33 #

I arrive in NY July 25th, just in time :)

• Fashion Critic May 9, 2011 at 12:35 #

Perfect. You must check it out x

6. penultimate__ May 9, 2011 at 12:33 #

Thank you for sharing your experience and photos as I probably won’t ever get to see Lee McQueen’s amazing creations in person :(

• Fashion Critic May 9, 2011 at 12:35 #

You are very welcome x

7. HM May 9, 2011 at 13:16 #

OMG FC! Thank you so much for posting this beautiful post along with the pictures! I am currently studying in the UK and unless someone wealthy desides to wisk me on a private plane and invite me to attend next year’s MET gala, then I’ll probably never get to see it…lol! Get lots of rest FC…can’t wait for the Cannes coverage!!! ;)

• Fashion Critic May 9, 2011 at 13:31 #

thank you…Can’t wait for Cannes. 2 weeks of stunning gowns

8. Fee May 9, 2011 at 17:31 #

Do you have an inkling if this exhibition will be taken outside NY? I’m wondering if it might come to the V&A. Not sure if I can justify an NY trip just to see it!

• Fashion Critic May 9, 2011 at 17:43 #

I was told it would only be in New York which is a shame

• Fee May 9, 2011 at 17:49 #

Oh that is a shame…. good to know though so thanks for the reply!