08.05.11 Premiere

Penelope Cruz looked stunning when she arrived on the red carpet for the World Premiere of “Pirates Of The Caribbean: On Stranger Tides” in LA yesterday.

The Spanish actress wore a custom Marchesa off-the-shoulder gown.

The black gown was embroidered with feathers and jet crystal details.

Chopard jewels, a high ponytail and nude lips completed her look.

I love that she’s wasn’t afraid to go big and bold wearing this gown.

I just hope she explores other colours on the red carpet during this promo tour.

[nggallery id=774]

Credit: Getty

Best Dressed Of The Week - Diane Kruger In Jason Wu & Christina Ricci In Zac Posen Couture

Best Dressed Of The Week – Diane Kruger In Jason Wu & Christina Ricci In Zac Posen Couture

Who Wore Roberto Cavalli Better? Beyonce Knowles, Julianne Hough or Diane Kruger

34 Responses to Penelope Cruz In Marchesa – “Pirates Of The Caribbean: On Stranger Tides” World Premiere

1. Mahima May 8, 2011 at 19:02 #

Why does she wear black?!? She looks gorgeous in colour. Its nothing new for me.

2. Paddy M May 8, 2011 at 19:04 #

Penelope never seems to step fully out of her comfort zone. It’s black, it has flamenco feathers, it’s so Penelope.

On the other hand, I think she looks beautiful all the same. It’s a lovely dress which she wears well. First BDOTW contender!

3. JANE May 8, 2011 at 19:06 #

she’s radiant
    but I dislike her hair!

4. Tati M May 8, 2011 at 19:09 #

Did she change the hair colour? In the beginning of the week it was different

5. molly May 8, 2011 at 19:17 #

I dont like it. Shes done this look so many times before. I dont really like the feathers or her hair. If she had to wear it, I wish she could have worn this at the Met Gala and what she wore at the Met Gala here instead. Do you know if this was a custom dress FC? I dont remember it from any collections.

• Fashion Critic May 8, 2011 at 19:31 #

please read the text

• molly May 9, 2011 at 02:29 #

Oh…I didnt see that

6. Shaina May 8, 2011 at 19:24 #

She looks beautiful!

7. Luis May 8, 2011 at 19:32 #

Hate it. She looks like a Rooster.

8. Rachel May 8, 2011 at 19:58 #

I think she looks good and if I just had a baby, probably I would be wearing a lot of black till I get into my old shape too! Everyone seems to forget that she just had a baby and black is a slimmer colour!

9. Mel May 8, 2011 at 19:59 #

I don’t like this. That dress is not for a movie premiere and less for POC premiere. Is a pity that this dress is better than her Oscar’s dress. Don’t get me wrong, the dress was great end she looked amazingly glamurous, but this was not that kind of event.

Sometimes she bores me wiht her never change style, even when is a great style, and sometimes that style makes her look overdressed, like now.Couldn’t it be great to see Penelope trying an edgy look!!!, I’m not asking for a big deal, just for a day or for this tour.

10. moja31 May 8, 2011 at 20:16 #

penelope never looks bad; it might not be terribly exciting, but she always looks good. what i’m really wondering after looking at these pictures is, what in god’s name is johnny depp wearing?

11. AHOT May 8, 2011 at 20:22 #

FINALLY! She got her mojo back. She lacked luster for me way before her pregnancy, & she got her waist back. Love it

12. Francesca May 8, 2011 at 20:38 #

I was convinced you’d be hating on this look as it’s black again, but she looks amazing whatsoever. :D

• Fashion Critic May 8, 2011 at 20:56 #

It’s black again, but good black :)

If she makes it 3 in a row I might just loose my mind ;)

13. Francesca May 8, 2011 at 21:17 #

Haha, me too. Let’s pray for some colour! ;)

14. Emi May 8, 2011 at 21:22 #

I don’t like it at all. First of all, I hate feathers and I don’t like the fabric. Also, I know she had a baby few months ago, but I don’t like the way it fits her, she looks like Eva Longoria, no waist line. I don’t understand why she keeps on wearing such tight dresses.

15. Tahj May 8, 2011 at 22:11 #

This is perfect for her. I feel like people are too critical of gowns only because they are black. Why do people think black = boring? There’s nothing more perfect and classic than a black dress. Audrey Hepburn or Coco Chanel would have agreed. And Cruz’s black dresses always have an extra spice to them. It’s so her.

16. Hisadora May 8, 2011 at 22:49 #

She looks really beatiful, the dress is outstanding!!!

17. Frugal Living May 8, 2011 at 22:54 #

I think that this will be another great Pirates of Caribbean movie

18. Matt May 9, 2011 at 00:22 #

I’m not a fan of the feathers but I like it, the hair could look better.

19. Thomas Monks May 9, 2011 at 00:46 #

I don’t think i would have mined it if it was strapless or had no feathers on top but they are doing a premiere for this film at Cannes and this is the dress I want her to wear http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_FW86_jO7k_A/TUtHs5xMnpI/AAAAAAACVBo/jcQ5GrvvEPk/s1600/Versace%252B12.jpg I love her in Atelier Versace and this is perfect for her

20. mari May 9, 2011 at 00:58 #

She looks pretty and confident. I like that she’s not hurrying to thin herself too quickly after having a baby.close

After looking her up, I feel a small Sophia Loren vibe.

21. L'wren May 9, 2011 at 00:59 #

Expect her in color during Cannes!

22. rebecca o May 9, 2011 at 01:46 #

She is completely overdressed for a Disneyland premiere. Everyone else was dressed appropriately but she looks like she’s at an awards ceremony.

23. mandy May 9, 2011 at 02:25 #

Serious case of deja vu I am having now.

24. Camille May 9, 2011 at 03:43 #

I don’t like it. I feel like she’s worn this outfit a million times.

25. jeremy May 9, 2011 at 03:54 #

Nope. Something is still missing and something still bores me. She heads to the exact direction that Nicole Kidman went. They used to be the best dresses in the world. Now they stick with boring clothes with only one consistent color (Nicole with white, Penelope with black).

• Tahj May 9, 2011 at 18:44 #

Nicole said now that she’s older she doesn’t care as much about fashion. More power to her. Not everyone cares about being trendy and fashionable all the time.

26. Laura May 9, 2011 at 04:13 #

She looks good I won’t argue that…

But…

…If I had to come up with what a Penelope Cruz/Marchesa combo would look like it would be something very similar to that. And when your look becomes predictable, it’s time to switch it up.

Also, I hate the hair.

27. Elena May 9, 2011 at 08:49 #

Hate it really hate it
    and I really don’t like the hair..

28. mj May 9, 2011 at 15:42 #

i tend to find feathers a bit tacky. plus, for some reason this looks a bit matronly on her to me. like, i could see helen mirren wearing this dress instead.

29. Alina May 9, 2011 at 15:54 #

She reminds me of Sophia Loren.

30. dee May 9, 2011 at 19:24 #