03.05.11

Rihanna In Stella McCartney – 2011 Met Gala

I was also hugely disappointed by Rihanna’s look on the red carpet at the 2011 Met Gala last night.

Even she looks bored in her lace Stella McCartney one-sleeve dress.

I’m most disappointed that this look is not impactful and lacks drama.

For Rihanna this dress is distinctly average; and she doesn’t do average even with her street style.

A long side-swept braid, Christian Louboutin heels and a pop of colour via her Wilfredo Rosado jewels completed her forgettable look.

[nggallery id=766]

Credit: Getty

Who Was Your Best Dressed At The 2014 Met Gala?

Who Was Your Best Dressed At The 2014 Met Gala?

Kirsten Dunst In Chanel Couture - 2011 Met Gala

Kirsten Dunst In Chanel Couture – 2011 Met Gala

26 Responses to Rihanna In Stella McCartney – 2011 Met Gala

1. Chloe May 3, 2011 at 12:51 #

I like it

2. Hauteness May 3, 2011 at 12:57 #

wow, very disappointing! Even her make up fell flat with this one.

3. Jennie May 3, 2011 at 12:58 #

have to completely disagree! this is such a gorgeous look and exudes allure. it’s a nice fresh change of style on rihanna, LOVE IT!!!

(although i’m not too fond of the transparent side… i think it cheapens the dress a bit. would’ve been perfect if it was laced throughout.)

this dress plus the detailed make-up really bring out rihanna’s beauty, reveals a hidden side of her, an almost delicate and subtle sexy beauty. i think it’s the first time i’ve really noticed her beauty. the large braids look too fake…

• Tahj May 3, 2011 at 18:04 #

That’s what I’m saying! I think she looks alluring and mysterious and it is not a boring look at all. On the contrary.

4. alannah May 3, 2011 at 13:01 #

i think i would have liked it if her hair & make up werent so horrid. this is just a bad look for her neck up!x

5. ahot May 3, 2011 at 13:13 #

LOVE this look! Sexy yet understated(for RIRI´s standards), elegant, and she managed to look quite demure. the hair, the makeup, everything is great imao.

6. MichelleTina May 3, 2011 at 13:17 #

So disappointing :( and I agree even she doesn’t seem to like it. I hate the hair, accessories, and shoes.

7. Joy May 3, 2011 at 13:29 #

I’m not sure if this is boring, or just all around bad. Every aspect is horrilbe. Yikes! The dress is tacky at best and her hair extension braid is just plain ridiculous. I get Rihanna’s style is to be way over the top, but this just comes across as totally tacky.

• Terry May 3, 2011 at 15:24 #

Tacky is the word. That braid is hideous. What was she thinking when she left to go to the event? Was the look supposed to be sexy and fashion-forward or what? I just don’t get it.

8. Alina May 3, 2011 at 13:48 #

HATE IT!

9. sabrina May 3, 2011 at 14:13 #

I like it but dont love it

10. Hannah May 3, 2011 at 14:42 #

It’s not ehte dress, it’s Rihanna in it. It coud have been a gorgeous gown, on someone like Liv tyler, a Stella fanatic, who has that amazing colouring to pull a really dark look like this off, or someone like that, but on Rihanna it jsut doesn’t work. I know it is sessentially crazy Sexy, but it is still too mature for Rihanna. The styling is horrendous, with simple, chic styling, and mreo attitude and (sorry) grace, she could have killed it.

11. Matt May 3, 2011 at 14:48 #

It’s interesting what the wrong choice in hair style can do to an entire look.

12. dee May 3, 2011 at 15:16 #

I like that she looks different from everyone else. I don’t hate it.

13. DivaMom May 3, 2011 at 15:26 #

RHIANNA! Time to let that little mermaid hair GO! This is a mess of a look, largely due to that wacktastic synthetic looking hair. Had she worn a romantic updo and a sexy smile, she might have owned this look.

14. Vidhya May 3, 2011 at 17:01 #

Never seen Rihanna go wrong in every aspect… Bad dress, boring heels, ridiculous hair, garish makeup… Sad..

15. Fiona May 3, 2011 at 17:24 #

I really don’t like this dress, it has the same wavy nude panel thing that Kate Winslett tried in polka dots and this is no better, in fact worse – have you seen the picture of her bending down in this – not pretty!

16. Tahj May 3, 2011 at 18:03 #

Really? I think she looks AMAZING with the black lace. It is still edgy but it’s striking. And I’m normally hit and miss with her looks. Have to completely disagree with you this time fashion critic.

17. emily May 3, 2011 at 19:27 #

a really bad hair can make a gorgeous look go hideous. this is the proof.

18. Jennifer May 3, 2011 at 21:56 #

I have to say I like it too! Sorry FC. There is another photo of her as she is going up the steps of the Met and looking back at the cameras, and in that image I totally get where she was going with the plait. It just worked with the train of the dress and the overall image is so striking, so unlike anyone else at the event. Plus you can’t see the tacky see-through part which I agree brought the dress down slightly. Plus I love those earrings, particularly with her hair colour.

19. PamG May 3, 2011 at 22:52 #

It’s not the biggest WOW, but she looks understated and very pretty. It’s a bit refreshing that she didn’t go for huge drama.

20. Ariel May 4, 2011 at 02:01 #

I love that gown on Rihanna! Her hair takes away from the overall look.

21. cara May 4, 2011 at 05:52 #

her hair reminds me of a horses tail braided for an event…..

love the dress though

22. Raquel May 4, 2011 at 06:06 #

I like the earrings. That’s all.

23. AnaKay May 4, 2011 at 06:30 #

I like the gown, but the hair, the makeup, and the color of those earrings remind me of Fiona from Shrek. Not a good association! :(

24. Stephanie May 28, 2011 at 14:15 #

This is horrible, tacky and mismatched. This is the worst I think she has ever looked. The dress isnt the problem, its her hair.