03.05.11

Models @ The Met

Naomi Campbell wore an Alexander McQueen white Heraldic crystal embroidered tulle dress.

I love the boldness of this dress. It’s strong but light and airy at the same time.

An Alexander McQueen silver metal skull clutch completed her look.

Karolina Kurkova looks STUNNING in this black and white Jean Paul Gaultier Couture gown.

Karolina and Christina Ricci got the McQueen memo.

Jessica Stam wore a Tommy Hilfiger long blush tulle strapless gown with structured bodice and tiered full skirt.

Chopard jewels and a Judith Leiber ‘Hard Candy’ clutch completed her look.

Rosie Huntington-Whiteley was in head-to-toe Burberry wearing a custom rose silk gown, nude python clutch and cream strappy sandals.

Carolyn Murphy opted for a black and purple lace Tom Ford gown with a velvet black bow tied around her neck.

I loved everything about Shalom Harlow’s look. Her Marchesa gown is breath-taking. I’ve been waiting forever to see this on the red carpet.

Cute curls and a bow hair accessory completes this stunning look.

Bar Refaeli opted for a Reem Acra gold embellished with stunning turquoise earrings.

Doutzen Kroes wore my favourite look from the Giambattista Valli Fall 2011 collection. The gown unfortunately loses some of its runway impact against the red carpet.

Lily Donaldson wore an Erdem lace sheer dress with a white collar.

Angela Lindvall and Karlie Kloss wore similar gold gowns. Anglea wore Andrew Gn whilst Karlie is of course in Dior.

Caroline Trentini was in Michael Kors. Her nude strapless gown is one of my favourites from this bunch.

Whilst Michelle Alves’ gown is too bridal for my taste, she does look amazing.

Crystal Renn opted for a very dramatic black Zac Posen gown which dominated the red carpet.

Miranda Kerr wore a Marchesa embroidered white strapless flared dress with draped silk tulle overlay.

Her dress was styled with Nicholas Kirkwood white heels.

Karen Elson wore an embroidered Alexander McQueen Spring 2004 gown with a draped back.

Dree Hemingway went minimalist in Calvin Klein.

Britt Maren arrived with Nicole Richie wearing a custom Winter Kate gown designed by Nicole with a custom House of Harlow 1960 head piece.

Nicole opted for a white vintage gown.

Liu Wen wore a black Alexander McQueen gown and Mariacarla Boscono out did Liv Tyler wearing Givenchy Couture.

Joy Bryant’s Missoni look which included an ombre sweater and knit ombre maxi skirt may seem too casual for the Met Gala, but it’s the Missoni way and I love it.

Coco Rocha wore an Alexander McQueen Pre-Fall 2011 navy halter dress with a feathered detail around the waist. This dress was even more fantastic in person.

Raquel Zimmermann wore an Alexander McQueen Fall 2011 black bustier gown with a feathered train.

Credit: Getty

Stars In Stella MCartney - 2011 Met Gala

Stars In Stella MCartney – 2011 Met Gala

Ashley & Mary-Kate Olsen - 2011 Met Gala

Ashley & Mary-Kate Olsen – 2011 Met Gala

42 Responses to Models @ The Met

1. olivia May 3, 2011 at 22:43 #

Karolina Kurkova looks breathtaking!

2. John May 3, 2011 at 22:47 #

Where’s Coco Rocha, Britt Maren & Monika Jagaciak??? :(

3. jen May 3, 2011 at 22:58 #

“Joan Smalls is so dynamic on the runway, but so blah on the red carpet in Tom Ford.” i think every tom ford’s gown is meh & blah & then meh & blah again. & the one on carolyn murphy looks plain trashy & ott. for me his big come back didnt happen.

• noo May 4, 2011 at 11:20 #

i think that a designer’s big comeback should NEVER be a secret runway show! plus his designs suck :D

4. misschatty May 3, 2011 at 23:01 #

The models really knew how to work it and they also got the memo while still looking fabulous.

Did you see Liu Wen and Constance in McQueen? They were such great looks

I really love your Met Gala coverage!!

5. Giada May 3, 2011 at 23:01 #

For the first time I looked at Naomi Campbell and thought “wow she’s aging”. She usually looks like an absolute goddess, but the matronly hair makes her look older than she is. Not a good look.

• KateS May 4, 2011 at 02:04 #

I agree, the wig is dreadful and for some reason the bodice fails to flatter.

6. Carol May 3, 2011 at 23:01 #

wish I could see Natasha Poly’s dress !

7. GirlOne May 3, 2011 at 23:11 #

Does anybody know who wore the Erdem dress you can see the trail of in the background (on the left) in Caroline Trentini’s picture?

8. Mahima May 3, 2011 at 23:14 #

Ah, just gotta say you’ve been amazing. :D
    Thanks so much.
    But maybe I missed it, however I can’t see Taylor Swift’s dress. I’d love to hear your opinion on it, but you should get some sleep too.

9. Luiza May 3, 2011 at 23:25 #

Caroline Tretini is by far my favorite

10. Fanny May 3, 2011 at 23:27 #

Karlie Kloss is really working it as usual… Love Bars gown aswell. More model pictures please!

11. Gigi May 3, 2011 at 23:37 #

FC, You have been working for 24 hours straight, I swear… and we really appreciate it. Did you go to NYC solely for this event? Wow. The “oscars of the east coast”” was an eyeful. Thanks from California!!

12. e May 3, 2011 at 23:55 #

love karlie kloss and karen elson and jessica stam – all in different ways, gotta love the met ball as our opportunity to see fashion unadulterated!

13. Jake May 4, 2011 at 00:10 #

Mariacarla Boscano was ABSOLUTELY BREATHTAKING in Givenchy Haute Couture…don’t know if you opted not to feature her, but if you haven’t yet seen her look, check it out. She was my joint Best Dressed w/ Diane krugsss

14. Hannah May 4, 2011 at 00:13 #

Thank Goodness for themodels. I’ll take any opportunity to talk about Liv Tyler, so I shall proceed to: Only due ot the models, Daphne Guiness, Hamish Bowles, Zoe Saldana, Diane Kruger (Anyone else?) and Live tyler of course Lovely Liv Tyler, was this event worth looking at (or for you going!).
    I love Karolina, so incredible, this is the one, and th eONLY, yes ONLY time black pumps work to enhance a look. For some reason I cannot fall in love wiht Shalom Harlow’s look, but I do adore the dress. Karlie is making me feel uncomfortable witht ehmakeup adnthe deep front and back of the supe rslinky dress. Bar Rafaeli is GORGEOUS! I also love lvoe LOVE Caroline!
    I have been tryign to form an opinion about Miranda Krr, but all I can come up with is that the dress shoudl be worn by someone who has not given birth recently (she is lackign support inthe chest area, very badly), and the shoes looks too much like trainers, and they don’t quite work with the dress. Then again I may just be jealous that she ahs Orlando *swoon* Bloom.
    I’m loving Crstal Renn;s energy. She really went for it.
    Both of Tom ford’s dresses are so unlattering, especially Carolyn’s, I saw a photo and I was shocked. The 3/4 side view is even worse.
    Stam is too ’80’s and Rosie’s dress is beyond hideous in my eyes.
    Sorry for that toal essay, I guess I jsut have a lot to say.
    I know it must be really annoying my thanking you all the time, but still thankyou for all your super hard work FC. Not that it doesn’t always, but especially in events does your hard work really show. I really appreciate all the work you have done, especially to make this sort of debacle of an event comprehensible, all in a very intelligent, eloquent, well balanced, and I msut say fast manner. Super Impressive!
    I hope you enjoyed yourself last night onthe met gala steps, it msut have been incredible. If you don’t mind my asking, have you ever gone to watch the Met Gala red carpet before?
    Anyways, I hope you enjoy your stay in New York and the exhibition, and manage to get some rest with all this non-stop blogging :)

15. Annie May 4, 2011 at 00:24 #

you forgot about Liu Wen…she looked gorgeous in McQueen!

• Fashion Critic May 4, 2011 at 01:16 #

thanks

will update

16. Jarrold May 4, 2011 at 00:45 #

Maricarla Boscono stole the show.

17. Miss.Adventure May 4, 2011 at 00:53 #

Crystal Renn looks so different!

18. Thomas Monks May 4, 2011 at 01:53 #

FC just wanted to thank you for your coverage of this and every event. Due to your X Factor coverage I found J’Aton and emailed them about a photo shoot Im styling and let them know that this is where I found out about the brand

• Fashion Critic May 4, 2011 at 05:25 #

you are very welcome.

I’m glad you felt inspired by J’Aton Couture

19. KateS May 4, 2011 at 02:02 #

Miranda Kerr’s dress is a bit Tinkerbell for my taste, but most of the rest of the models look stunning. Shalom Harlow (love! the styling), Karolina Kurkova, Crystal Renn and Mariacarla Boscono all stood out for me.

20. Luis May 4, 2011 at 04:45 #

Liu Wen and Kurkova were perfection in person!!

21. Raquel May 4, 2011 at 05:31 #

I like Coco, Trentini, Doutzen and Raquel. Everybody else, big meh.

22. mol May 4, 2011 at 06:07 #

I applaud: for bringing the drama, Karolina Kurkova and Crystal Renn; for a more quiet but still so very lovely beauty, Lily Donadlson and Karen Elson; and for a positively unearthly glamour, Mariacarla Boscono….the models really were the icing on the cake at this event for me….

23. rebecca o May 4, 2011 at 06:26 #

Shalom looks stunning!

24. Lee Ann May 4, 2011 at 10:18 #

Your coverage has been the most comprehensive of any that I have seen. Thank you.
    Naomi looks like she just got out of a bubble bath and then dried herself half heartedly with tissues and cotton balls.
    I cannot believe that Karlie is just 18 -such poise

• Fashion Critic May 4, 2011 at 10:56 #

25. Jess May 4, 2011 at 10:33 #

Carolyns dress is all kinds of wrong. It looks so cheap, and ill-fitting.
    Mariacarla is surely the best dressed of the entire night. WOW

26. ahot May 4, 2011 at 11:25 #

Doutzen´s gown made more impact imao as Giseles
    Karolina ´s is very dramatic, but i don´t like the neckline. It feels like they couldn´t decide . This with just the neckholder would be The best dress of the evening

27. Alina May 4, 2011 at 13:29 #

Shalom Harlow,Michelle Alves and Doutzen Kroes are my favourites from here.

28. Valeria May 4, 2011 at 16:35 #

Bar Rafaeli! amazing, perfection! and Karlie Kloss has amazing makeup (dress is blah)

29. Mia Spring May 6, 2011 at 09:18 #

Thanks FC for the updates!! Most models are fabulous: Karolina, Jessica Stam, Coco Rocha, Caroline Trentini~deeply impressed!
    I always like Liu Wen’s style, she’s so cool!!
    And I have to say romantic rosy color works on Rosie Huntington-Whiteley ~lol
    Dislike most is Miranda ,she wants to be a ballet bride? but too childish to me and I don’t like the shoes,sorry~~On the other hand, Dree Hemingway is a bit plain

30. rawda May 6, 2011 at 12:03 #

hello, FC. thanks for the excellent coverage. oh and btw nicole richie is in jason wu and michelle alves is wearing abed mahfouz :)

31. mikeijames May 6, 2011 at 13:35 #

the models took the show this year: the girls in the golden columns — karlie, angela, and karen — sent me screaming into the pillow with excitement. and raquel and coco should teach all those celebs how to pull off refinement and daring at once.

32. Wesley May 13, 2011 at 00:15 #

Everything’s ok!
    Buuuut Where is the Queen Gisele Bundchen?????

• Fashion Critic May 13, 2011 at 10:02 #