Blake Lively In Chanel Couture – 2011 Met Gala

There was no doubt that Blake Lively was going to wear Chanel at the 2011 Met Gala which was held in New York City tonight.

The ‘Gossip Girl’ actress wore a look from the Chanel Fall 2009 Couture collection.

I know some of you will say I’m biased but I think she looked fabulous in this Grecian-inspired draped dress with an illusion bodice and silver pailette embroidered.

It’s not the short dress with a plunging neckline many would’ve expected from Blake, but she totally owns this look.

Christian Louboutin ‘Anna’ heels completed her look.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

66 thoughts on “Blake Lively In Chanel Couture – 2011 Met Gala

1. mala

your image says christopher kane :)
    i love her in this but that horrible hair color! or how it clashes with her tan

2. Luis Santos

The dress look so much better on the model. Blake is trying too hard too look sexy in this dress. I much prefer that the draped detail split the dress in two and in Blake she puts her two boobs out, on the model you can see than one is enough!!

1. Kaylie

I agree. And her pose is making it look like she is forcefully trying to shove both boobs out from under the drape of the dress. She always comes off as a bit desperate to me.

1. Lou

I agree with all of you. She should look regal in this dress – letting the draping show properly and not pushing her boobs out. Too try hard. And she should also have worn her hair up. If FC can bash Liv Tyler and Kirsten Dunst for theirhair, then I can bash Blake.

3. Christy

FC, you’ve got the runway look labelled as Christoper Kane … but she looks great.

4. niya

I do quite like this – and yay for the shoe-choice! I’m impressed by how well she’s pulling this off – at least from this angle

5. Nikki

You ARE biased. LOL

But seriously, I was expecting something more from Blake and I was hugely disappointed when I saw her. I thought she was gonna be outstanding but for me it was kinda blah. Only thing that’s working here is her attitude. Love it! But the dress itself, meh. I liked her outfit last year better.

6. Kiran Sooknandan

The MET Gala (and maybe the Oscars) are the few events I will stay up til 5am to see when I have class at 8am. Blake look amazing. They colour, the drape, the glossy hair..PERFECTION. I also like the extra bead work on the bust which makes it more demure.

7. Teleholic

Hey! She’s blonde again!! (Right?) Thanks so much for covering the Met Gala, FC, you rock! I’m getting dizzy from all the excitement.

8. ME

The dress is amazing, but she should have worn her hair up.

And she needs to get a new pose.

9. Jen

She’s so beautiful… I wish she’d throw in some ‘less is more’ once in awhile. I don’t like the modifications to show more skin. Reminds me of a figure skating costume.

10. Vidhya

Thats such an interesting dress choice. But thats about it. Her pose seem weird to me.. and she looks sleepy.. the dress is a mini as seen from the other side and i’m glad she doesnt try to showcase it.

11. Emma

In this case FC I think you’re biased. The dress is almost see through. And oh so predictable.

There are more designers than Chanel, Christian Louboutin and Lorraine Schwartz. This is like the go to combo for Blake.

Utterly predictable and not classy at all.

12. Sofie

OMG!
    When I heard that Blake was going to wear chanel, this was my first choice for her, I totally predicted this for her, and I think she looks outstanding, the only issue i see like everyone else is the hair, when I imagined Blake in this gown i pictured it with the grecian inspired up do, but still is a BDOTW for sure!

13. Leti

I’m not always a fan of Blake’s, but I have to give credit where credit is due–I think this is perfection.

PS – FC, thank you for your amazing coverage. It’s late here on the East Coast, so I can’t believe you are still posting. Have you worked through the night?

14. roselle

I still don’t get why she always cheapen every look she wears

It looks couture on the model, on Blake it looks showgirl-ish

15. Emi

The dress is very sexy so she didn’t need to pose like a Playboy girl. I’m so tired of her sexy pose. If you’r sexy you don’t need to show it all the time. I don’t like this girl, I’ve already said that, so I don’t like her here. Tacky as usual.

1. Vidhya

comepletely agree… arched back, half open mouth… r u having an orgasm everytime the camera clicks is wat i wud like to ask her!

16. Sophia

I have to admit that I’m not as crazy about Blake as many other people, however, I think she looked absolutely gorgeous in this gown!

17. Jarrold

I have been waiting for this dress on the red carpet for awhile. Im so glad she pulled it off

18. Hailie

I absolutely love this outfit, I think she looks like a proper old-school movie star…But I am alos a little biased as I adore Blake anyway :)

Love the coverage as always FC, thanks so much x

19. Femme

Nice dress, but not a Blake dress, she obviously can´t rock everything. I just don´t think she can pull off a Chanel look, she´s just not a Chanel madamoiselle

20. Pam

I think it’s a typical Blake look though as she always likes to showoff something sexy, be it her legs, her twins or her nude-illusion body! Haha.

Still love this look though. Her attitude (which admittedly repels quite a few people) works this dress to the heavens.

21. M

She totally rocks it! Love the hair, the makeup, the dress, the shoes. She looks fab. Guess she’s one of those that either you love her or hate her. I love her!!!

22. Alex

It’s Chanel, it’s Couture, it’s Blake and she’s so beautiful and I don’t know why but somehow I find this whole look a bit to tacky, especially for Chanel.

23. Sharon

You are biased, FC, but so am I. I don’t care what this girl wears, I think she ruins it. So we agree to disagree, OK?

24. Mimy

i think its the pose that ruins it. its like she’s trying too hard to show that she’s sexy that makes it not sexy anymore. i think that’s the reason why sometimes ppl thinks that she cheapens the look.

25. feliciab

I think this dress would be better pulled off by an older woman. It looks to me as if she’s playing dress up in her mom’s closet.

26. Hannah

I really didn’t liek it. The makeup, the colour, the hair. Not oen thing worked for me. The pose and the ‘druggy’ half open eyes really are killign me. Killign me.

27. Bonnie

The dress is so Blake Lively but yet unexpected,she should have pulled the hair.sometimes,stars need to take tips from the runway styling.

28. dee

She looks okay. I am not blown away. I wish she wore her hair up or pulled back like the model. it looks betteron the model.

29. DivaMom

Hair pulled back would have allowed us to see more of the dress. It’s a beautiful creation no doubt, but I don’t think she’s doing it any justic.

30. Valeria

well, it’s nice, but not to-die-for. i really don’t get Chanel couture, to me it looks gypsy-like a lot of times and that dress Dunst wore to Met Gala is horrendous enough even without soccer mum hair

31. Tahj

lol. Most people tone down the runway looks but she always manages to make it look cheaper and trashier. Sorry don’t get the love for Blake. The media just likes to hype up some new starlet every few years. I’m over the nepotism, the showing up half naked on the red carpet in something tacky and being called a fashion icon and 100 most influential list maker. And there is nothing iconic about her hairstyle either contrary to what the press says. Jerry Hall was doing the long side-swept hair in the 70s.

32. Raquel

They don’t match, Blake and the dress. In theory, they should because she has the body for that, but something feels forced….

33. Lou

I really like this look and liking the red hair on Blake much more here than with the blue dress earlier in the week