02.05.11

Metropolitan Institute Gala: Alexander McQueen: “Savage Beauty”

The Metropolitan Institute Gala takes place tonight in New York City.

This year the gala is dedicated to Alexander McQueen and aptly titled, “Savage Beauty.”

We should see some spine-tingling BDOTY red carpet moments as celebrities will hopefully bring many archived pieces to life tonight.

I hope we’ll get to see the late designers Fall 2010 collection showcased on the red carpet. It’s the perfect night for the exquisite pieces to be worn by our favourite celebs.

Follow Alexander McQueen’s twitter as they will be live tweeting the event. I will also be blogging live so come back later for that.

Do you want to make an entrance at your next event?

Capture the spirit of New York’s Met Gala and go for no-holds-barred glamour by checking out theOutnet.com’s Red Carpet pieces.

Dress to dazzle in a floor-sweeping gown or crystal-strewn mini.

Add some 6in heels a sparkling clutch and you’ll be Met Gala ready.

Credit: Getty

Kate Waterhouse In Miu Miu - Rosemount Australian Fashion Week Spring/Summer 2011/12

Kate Waterhouse In Miu Miu – Rosemount Australian Fashion Week Spring/Summer 2011/12

Who Wore Azzedine Alaia Better? Gwyneth Paltrow or Coleen Rooney

Who Wore Azzedine Alaia Better? Gwyneth Paltrow or Coleen Rooney

14 Responses to Metropolitan Institute Gala: Alexander McQueen: “Savage Beauty”

1. Stacy May 2, 2011 at 08:29 #

can’t wait for this event! when red carpert arrival will start? (NY time)
    hope to see my fav designers and celebs

2. Martin May 2, 2011 at 08:48 #

I have literally been counting down the days to this event since it was announced that the work of the late Alexander McQueen would be exhibited at the MET.

His work was so grand, his influences so complex and multi-faceted and he presented us with jaw-dropping red carpet moments that have proven sublime, unrivalled and controversial (who can forget Sarah Jessica Parker’s tartan gown from the 2006 MET Costume Institute Gala, or Cate Blanchett wearing a McQueen gown that he had specially designed for her prior to his death to the Cannes premiere of Robin Hood, or Drew Barrymore blowing us away in her yellow and black netted McQueen confection in 2009?).

My favourite McQueen red carpet moment was Cate Blanchett stepping on to the ruby red rug at the Cannes premiere of Babel in McQueen’s black and white kimono dress with embroidered flowers and graphic neckline. For those unware of it, Google it – you will not regret it. I have never seen anyone look so perfectly perfectly ethereal and timeless on the red carpet since. I am hoping for another of those moments this evening.

3. Hannah May 2, 2011 at 08:57 #

OH I so desire to see many pieces from his final collection, Zoe saldana in those archetectural dresses, probably modified to cover her modesty from his second to last collection, ss 2010 (the pieces right before th efinale dress), that gorgeous dress from around 2007 with the flowers that Tanya D wore on the runway. Oh so many wishes. Most of All I really hope Cate is there. She does Mcqueen like no other. I alos hope for Anna Paquin, because she wears his clothes damn well too.

4. Stephanie May 2, 2011 at 09:08 #

You have no idea how excited I am for the Meta Gala tomorrow! In between classes I will be on twitter keeping up with your latest posts. I cannot wait to see the beautiful exquisite costumes the stars will be wearing. The event definitely sets most of the trends for the year. BTW Love your website. You do a wonderful job.

• Fashion Critic May 2, 2011 at 11:34 #

thank you…I will be trying to keep up with the 1000s dresses :D

5. Emi May 2, 2011 at 09:38 #

I’m looking forward to see the beautiful (hopefully) outfits.

6. Lee Ann May 2, 2011 at 13:17 #

I can’ t wait for this but am so disappointed that it won’t come to the UK. Am looking forward to your coverage.

• Fashion Critic May 2, 2011 at 13:23 #

Thank you.

I’m currently in New York. I’m not going to the Ball, but I’m going to see the exhibition when it opens on Wednesday.

I was determined to see it.

You are right it is a shame it’s not coming to the UK

• Martin May 2, 2011 at 13:49 #

Wow, so jealous! May you enjoy it for the many, many thousands of your fans like me who won’t have the opportunity to see it.

PS. If only you’d scored an invite, I think you would have totally rocked a piece from his final Fall 2010 collection on that red carpet.

• Fashion Critic May 2, 2011 at 14:09 #

Whilst it would be great to get an invite, I wouldn’t be able to blog live.

I would prefer to see the guests enter to get a real sense of the occasion then rush back to my hotel to blog.

Unfortunaltey it doesn’t make sense for me to attend, it’s better for me to be an outside observer.

If I did attend I would have to have my laptop.

No very chic ;)

7. Martin May 2, 2011 at 14:21 #

Yeah, good point. Not very chic indeed. Well, the MET’s loss is our gain. I look forward to completely losing myself in your posts this evening. And of course reading your report on the actual exhibition, which promises to be quite amazing if the images already released are any indication.

• Fashion Critic May 2, 2011 at 14:49 #

Keep refreshing…I will be loading the up the second they hit Getty ;)

8. Tamia May 2, 2011 at 16:27 #

FC I know for a fact that Thandie is in NYC at the moment-I just pray she will attend tonight!you know how much I love her :)

• Fashion Critic May 2, 2011 at 16:47 #