The Princesses of York looked chic, modern and elegant at the Royal wedding of Catherine Middleton and Prince William at Westminster Abbey in London today.

Princess Eugenie wore a colourful blue Vivienne Westwood dress with bow accents, whilst sister Beatrice didn’t opt for a British designer.

Beatrice’s surprising but stylish choice was Valentino.

Her Valentino Spring 2011 Couture coat and dress was accessorised with gloves and shoes from the same collection.

I love both their choices. The young Royal sisters rarely disappoint.

Both wore Philip Treacy fascinators.

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Nieves Alvarez In Emilio Pucci - Vogue & Mario Testino December Issue Launch Event

Nieves Alvarez In Emilio Pucci – Vogue & Mario Testino December Issue Launch Event

2011 Royal Wedding Guests

2011 Royal Wedding Guests

104 Responses to Princess Eugenie In Vivienne Westwood & Princess Beatrice In Valentino Couture – 2011 Royal Wedding

1. bec April 29, 2011 at 13:31 #

i’m so glad you posted this – I was wondering about Beatrices dress as I fell in love with it as soon as i saw it!! :) not sure about her hairpiece though :/ its a bit too much for me..

2. robbie April 29, 2011 at 13:35 #

the outfits are lovely but seriously the hats are ridiculous. i never understand why weddings seem to be such a big event to wear ridiculous hats.

• Olive Cribar May 13, 2011 at 22:36 #

The outfits were lovely?
      Maybe for young matrons not for young ladies in their early 20′s.. The hem on Eugenie’s dress looked like it got caught up in her knickers.

3. mikeijames April 29, 2011 at 13:37 #

both of their hats truly steal the show!!! fabulous!

• Olive Cribar May 13, 2011 at 22:27 #

Get real! They couldn’t even sit upright in the car. they looked stupid, particularly Beatrice.

4. Lee Ann April 29, 2011 at 13:38 #

I thought they both looked like overdressed piglets- absolutely dreadful . Not chic at all.

• sara April 29, 2011 at 18:19 #

I REALLY agree with you. They are soooo tacky. Furthermore, I think that their dresses are made for an older woman. Too bad.

• Marvel April 29, 2011 at 19:02 #

Agree. I think they could have looked half decent if they hadnt worn those ‘Gaga’ hats

• jen April 29, 2011 at 19:19 #

100% agree. its not a circus, its a royal wedding. that blue dress looked so cheap! beatrice’s goth make up was not appropriate & her hat looked plain scary. actually both hats were aweful. they were my the worst dressed of the event!

• Olive Cribar May 13, 2011 at 22:46 #

Correct on all points.
        Look at Beatrice’s outfit on the model. It fits the model. Valentino allowed this outfit to leave the workshop looking so ill-fitting Beatrice? It just was not RIGHT for HER. The hat was the icing on the ghastly cake.

• Jen April 29, 2011 at 21:26 #

Agree. The blue is horrifying.

• Sharon April 30, 2011 at 00:24 #

I agree. They just looked like clowns.

• stjohnx April 30, 2011 at 11:21 #

completely agree with you. the looked absolutely ridiculous

• Dani May 2, 2011 at 01:07 #

Eugenie’s outfit looks very Helena Bonham-Carter-esque and Beatrice looks like she thought it was an Easter Egg-themed meeting of the bowls club.

5. eimear April 29, 2011 at 13:42 #

Are you insane!! Eugenie looks like a pantomime dame! ridiculous looking!!

• Fashion Critic April 29, 2011 at 13:59 #

Wow..rude.

You can make your poiint without being insulting.

In answer to your question no I’m not insane.

6. Emi April 29, 2011 at 13:42 #

Chic, modern and elegant? No way… One of the manymany many bad dressed I think. Sorry but Eugenie doen’t have the Physique du role to pull off that dress, which it’s ugly, for me, anyway. By the way, since I only watch the event, I couldn’t listen because I was “working”, who was that woman dressed in electric blue (hat, dress, gloves, purse)?

• Leti April 29, 2011 at 14:29 #

I think you might be referring to Tara Palmer-Tomkinson.

• Emi April 29, 2011 at 14:46 #

Yes, thanks, I didn’t recognize her, also because of the hat. By the way, did you like her? I think she was a bit OTT but she kept a lot of attention; I think she was too much matchy-matchy.

• olivia April 29, 2011 at 16:04 #

I agree with you regarding Eugenie

• Katie April 29, 2011 at 19:30 #

Two thumbs down- one for each hat. They looked absolutely horrible, as well as that Vivienne Westwood dress. The Valentino was nice but overshadowed by that THING. That’s something a weirdo such as Lady Gaga should wear, not a princess.

• Emi April 29, 2011 at 20:30 #

Lady Gaga! You’re right, that hat reminds me the lobster hat Gaga worn time ago. If she had worn the Valentino coat with a simple hat (I agree with jen about the fact that it was a wedding not a circus) she would have looked good. Eugenie has no excuses, she looks awful from head to toe. That dress was right for a 70 years old lady.

7. Elaine April 29, 2011 at 13:44 #

While I think Beatrice looks well I think Eugenie looks hideous unfortunately. Way too fussy and not flattering IMO

• Leti April 29, 2011 at 14:36 #

I agree with everything you said. In my book, there’s never any excuse for wearing something that doesn’t flatter. I’m not in love with Princess Beatrice’s hat, any flaw in her ensemble are entirely overshadowed by the flaws in her sister’s.

• Dani May 2, 2011 at 01:21 #

And she looked so elegant at the ‘night before’ party – in a full length black gown, which is why this unflattering mess is even worse!

• cristina April 29, 2011 at 16:33 #

completely agree! beatrice’s choice was lovely & the fascinator was adorable. euginie looked terrible. i would have never guessed that was a vivienne westwood. just atrocious & very ill-fitting.

8. Joy April 29, 2011 at 13:47 #

The Valentino coat is lovely (but the hat is horrid), while that blue Westwood is atrocious.

• Elaine April 29, 2011 at 14:00 #

Yea agree that beatrices hat is horrid – takes away from a potentially nice outfit

• lifeisdolce April 29, 2011 at 19:39 #

totally agree. she didn’t do justice to the valentino, and eugenie’s outfit is so ageing. hate both of their accessories, except maybe the shoes. sorry FC!

9. Raquel April 29, 2011 at 13:48 #

Far from from trying to understand the realtiosnhip between Brits and hats, but I don’t like Eugenie’s dress – tpp matron for suich a young girl and Beatrice’s dress is lovely. Minus her hat. ;)

10. Juliette April 29, 2011 at 13:50 #

Karl Lagerfeld was commenting the wedding on french tv and said their hats were hideous hehe
    I do agree with him!

• Lee Ann April 29, 2011 at 14:05 #

I would have loved to have heard his comments-

11. Paddy M April 29, 2011 at 14:05 #

I think they look sloppy. Beatrice’s dress is the only thing that works about either of their looks for me. I do love some of Philip Treacy’s work, but I’m by no means a fan of either fascinators here. And Eugenie’s dress is hideous. Vivienne Westwood can be so easy to get wrong, and Eugenie does just that.

• neorah April 29, 2011 at 15:28 #

I totally agree

12. RG April 29, 2011 at 14:17 #

Hey FC, have you seen what Sheika Mozah bint Nasser Al Missned wore to the wedding? :-)

• Fashion Critic April 29, 2011 at 14:27 #

Not yet. Will catch up later

13. noo April 29, 2011 at 14:27 #

i am in love with bea’s hat, it matches her reputation as a mad hatter :D but i hate what eugenie is wearing, it really ages her :S

14. Amy April 29, 2011 at 14:27 #

My first thought was OMG Beatrice’s hat! Is Eugenie’s dress really suitable for a wedding?

• Clover April 30, 2011 at 03:57 #

Okay FC I for one am dying to know your thoughts on the hat! Do you give it a thumbs up or thumbs down?

• Fashion Critic April 30, 2011 at 07:17 #

I liked both. B’s is slighty GaGa, but she’s young and having fun

15. Jessica April 29, 2011 at 14:34 #

when I first saw them I cringed.. I think that it could have worked but it just doesnt. Maybe it’s because of their makeup? I cannot figure it out. But I think they could have done better.

16. Bethany April 29, 2011 at 14:35 #

Beatrice’s hat could be fun, but it stuck out like a sore thumb as they were panning the congregation during the ceremony. I don’t mean to be rude, but my thought when I saw these two walking together were Cinderella’s stepsisters. Kate looked so regal, polished, and flawless.

• Mimy April 29, 2011 at 15:09 #

lol @ Cinderella’s stepsisters! now that u’ve mentioned it, i think i see it too!

• Camille April 29, 2011 at 17:17 #

My thoughts exactly! They both looked awful and overdone and decidedly not chic. The Westwood dress look matronly and ill fitting. The material was too stiff and bulky for such a curvy girl, and the print was hideously old lady for such a young lady. The Valentino ensemble was lovely until she made a mockery of it with that over the top hat. She wore it too far down on her forehead and it resembled some sort of crazy unicorn horn. Watching them clomp up the steps together just made me feel sorry for them and definitely reminded me of Cinderella’s step sisters.

17. NineteenEightyFour April 29, 2011 at 14:41 #

not sure about the whole Eugenie Westwood and circus hat combo (she was trying something new – which is more exciting than colour blocking or wearing a one tone everything!) but Beatrice looked great in that colour and the detail on the collar and shoulder was gorgeous. The hat, well they are young and no time better to experiment :)

18. mochababe73 April 29, 2011 at 14:42 #

I thought Eugenie looked horrible. The dress made her look 50. I love her hat.
    I really liked what Beatrice had one, but her hat was a bit much for me. It looked more like an attennae.

19. Jackie Kurz-Dunn April 29, 2011 at 14:46 #

I hate to sound cruel but Eugenie could use a good dental surgeon to fix those teeth. The hats these two wear always look really stupit!

20. anne jacobson April 29, 2011 at 14:48 #

WHAT WERE THEY THINKING? Horrendous.

21. Moxie April 29, 2011 at 14:56 #

Umm… Mom always said if you can’t say anything nice not to say anything. LOL. Pre-internet days. The less said about Beatrice’s outfit the better. Eugenie’s dress is lovely and the nicest thing I can say about the hat is that it goes with the dress. I just don’t understand the fascination with hats.

• Moxie April 29, 2011 at 19:53 #

Oops. I think I have them backwards.

22. sue April 29, 2011 at 14:59 #

they look like cinderellas step sisters. Just ridiculous looking.

• Elizabeth April 29, 2011 at 15:53 #

Omg yes!!! I love Beatrice’s coat though.
      On an unrelated note, FC I will never forgive you for putting that DVF two-tone playsuit on your favorites section, because ever since you did I have fallen in love with it!!!! I literally have been dreaming about wearing it!

• Fashion Critic April 29, 2011 at 15:56 #

Its on my wisht list too :)

• Elaine April 29, 2011 at 18:06 #

haha mine too! keep seeing it everyday and wanting it more and more!!
          I would also love to see the ombre zac posen gown on the red carpet – its divine

23. kbs April 29, 2011 at 15:04 #

They are trying way too hard. Terrible taste – clothes, hats, shoes, make up. they just look awful

24. dee April 29, 2011 at 15:13 #

Hate Westwood dress and I like the Valentino coat. The hats are awful.

25. Joy April 29, 2011 at 15:19 #

I found both hats to be fun and reflective of their age and spirits. I really didn’t care for Eugenie’s dress, it wasn’t the most flattering. However, I loved Beatrice’s entire look.

26. Carol April 29, 2011 at 15:31 #

whatever you say people!!!!! they are princesses they will look good on anything! okay!

27. tara April 29, 2011 at 15:42 #

The Valentino coat is lovely, though a little bland, but the matching hat is ridiculous. And Eugenie looks atrocious. Her dress is totally unflattering and makes her look middle aged, and the hat is just ugly. Unfortunately they really stuck out because most of the other guests had made an effort to be chic and stylish.

28. Samantha April 29, 2011 at 15:53 #

The Valentino coat is absolutely stunning. I love the detailing and the blush color. Absolutely perfect for a spring wedding. The hat isn’t to my taste, but I think it’s in good fun and very interesting! I’m definitely not put off because of it. I don’t like what Eugenie is wearing… I think it’s horribly unflattering on her, but the color is nice.

29. Alexandra April 29, 2011 at 15:59 #

Beatrice’s hat is kind of ridiculous… they could have done better

30. serenissima April 29, 2011 at 16:07 #

i totally agree with you, FC. they did look chic, modern, and elegant. moreso than the bride, IMO, and, best of all, they look like theyre having FUN.

ps:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

31. vittoria April 29, 2011 at 16:20 #

Sorry to say this but you as a fashion critic should have more fashion sense. I, and obviously, many others thought Beatrice’s hat looked ridiculous and certainly not appropriate for the occasion. Perhaps if you breakdown the outfit, minus the hat, you can say she looked lovely. But the hat clearly is something you wear, if you really have to, for the races. As a statement. The designer should be ashamed of himself. Clearly he was thinking of his own free publicity when he thought it would be the best design.

• Fashion Critic April 29, 2011 at 16:32 #

everyone is entitiled to their opinion.

Thanks for your comment

• vittoria April 29, 2011 at 16:40 #

No problems … Very true. I personally would not wear the hat ever but can appreciate the work and detail that is in it. Therefore would say if anything, it is a piece of art. Maybe if worn on a different angle, it could have looked better … Of anything.

• Sharon April 30, 2011 at 00:26 #

I am confused as to how you can say that they looked good whn Eugenie’s dress does not even fit her.

• Fashion Critic April 30, 2011 at 00:42 #

thanks for your comment.

I liked both looks and I still stand by that many hours on.

• Olive Cribar May 13, 2011 at 22:32 #

What defines fashion? It is not an exact science but an opinion. The majority of people would not be seen dead in that monstrosity.

• Badaboum May 1, 2011 at 13:02 #

I thought like many other that Beatrics’s look is ridiculous and and Eugenie’s is inappropriate for the event. But a majority of people supporting an opinion doesn’t make this opinion more valid than any other. I like that this blog reflects the opinion of the blogger and is not “going with the flow” (if that makes sense…).

• Fashion Critic May 1, 2011 at 22:03 #

Perfect sense :)

32. vittoria April 29, 2011 at 16:26 #

ps dont get me started on Eugenie’s outfit. Clearly they need a good fashion stylist, with their best interest at heart and some up to date fashion sense. You have to feel sorry for them … Would be soul destroying to read all these bad reviews.

• Olive Cribar May 13, 2011 at 22:40 #

They need a good stylist plus some lessons on makeup to avoid looking like a raccoon. Yes, I feel sorry for them because they obviously are so misguided.

33. rebecca o April 29, 2011 at 16:39 #

I think they both look awful.

34. Cara April 29, 2011 at 16:58 #

Eugenie does not look good. In no way does this outfit flatter her!

On the other hand I really like what Beatrice is wearing, bar the hat…. it reminds me of a spider or bug of some sort
    also i wouldnt have wanted to be the person sitting behind her at the ceremony, wouldnt have been able to see a thing!

cant wait to see what everyone else was wearing!

35. Emma April 29, 2011 at 17:24 #

They both look good but that hat Princess Beatrice is wearing is awful.

36. Weber from Brazil April 29, 2011 at 17:28 #

Gorgeous
    both of them look super chic, classy *-*
    Beatrice’s hat (or whatever it is) seems a little too much though

Ps: Catherine have u seem some photos from AmFAR Gala Dinner which took place last night in Sao Paulo, Brazil?
    Jennifer looked amazing *-*
    plus Claire Danes, Alessandra Ambrosio, Isabeli Fontana attended this event…
    hope it’s worth of a post…
    xx

37. mol April 29, 2011 at 17:41 #

Actually, the more I look at this the more I really like Princess Beatrice’s whole look – while many don’t like the Philip Treacy’s fascinator she wore, I”m finding it brings a smile to my face, there’s just something young and wonderfully cheeky about it that goes with Beatrice’s beautiful smile.
    Overall, I have to say that it’s a relief to see all these magical images, as we have been bombarded with so much pre media attention on the event that one began to feel hounded by it all and wanting it to be over! (P.S. I also really loved the image of Catherine with her sister holding her train and only wish the gentleman blocking the latter part of her train had been out of the shot as then the image would have been truly spectacular….)

• CreoleLady May 1, 2011 at 02:40 #

I think the gentleman that you want out of the shot is the father of the bride, lol. But I could be wrong. Totally agree, I think that image of Kate with Pippa holding the train is one of the most magical of a magical day.

38. AmandaE April 29, 2011 at 17:49 #

The Valentino coat is gorgeous, but I don’t think Beatrice looked pretty, it didn’t seemed that fit well, and the headpiece, for me it looks terrible, it looks like horns, or a weird bow. And Eugenie, oh darling, this dress was a sad choice, she looks huge, I love Viviene Westwood, but this dress on Eugine’s bodytype, unfortunately is terrible. I’m not trying to offend no one here, but the sisters are not pretty at all, but that is just my opnion.

39. Tati M April 29, 2011 at 17:51 #

I’m scared. Horrible

40. hazelmary April 29, 2011 at 19:49 #

Ghastly – Eugenies outfit is totally unsuitable for her figure and Beatrice’s Gaga style hat and dowdy coat are unflattering not to mention the fright night makeup. Ugggh. it is possible to be young and dashing and stylish but this is not it. You need to stop taking the medication if you think these Ugly Sister outfits flatter them.

41. Beth Dewey April 29, 2011 at 21:36 #

Eugenie’s dress show sign of having been self altered. The uneven hem is not folded under all of the way across, like it was pinned up and there was too much fabric. It may have been pined up with safety pins. The front left seam looks like it was taken in and not pressed. The back seam is puckered like the sewing machine tension was not appropriate. I’m sure Eugenie wasn’t happy with the dress and tried to alter the skirt herself. I can’t imagine the Vivianne Woodward would design like that.

42. LizLemooooon April 29, 2011 at 21:47 #

They looked hilarious to me but I think that’s MOSTLY because of the hats.
    Eugenie definitely looked terrible but I think if Beatrice had worn a different hat and darker, jewel toned heels or heels with some detail to them that look would have been very pretty.

43. mione April 29, 2011 at 23:07 #

So many negative comments about hats… Let’s be honest: that’s not the point of outfits, that’s more the point of faces. Don’t want to be rude, but those poor girls are totally unpretty. I can hardly imagine dresses they can put on without looking like clowns.

44. jenn April 29, 2011 at 23:50 #

OOOHHH NOOO why? all those stylist & they just borrowed fergie’s old clothes What’s with the deer atlers I was waiting for her to remove her coat but that was the dress The other blue disaster was the queen’s second choice Fergie was too broke to get new digs for them
    Kate was cinderella & they were the ugly step siters

45. Sharon April 30, 2011 at 00:27 #

Beatrice must have had Taylor Momsen do her eye makeup.

46. verucha April 30, 2011 at 01:03 #

Oh I’m so surprised that anyone could think these are anything but insane. They are the most ridiculous outfits I’ve ever seen. They look like they are straight out of a Dr. Seuss book made into a film- or like two clowns.
    Who could ever have been so cruel as to tell them they look good before they walked out in these?

47. chicagoannie April 30, 2011 at 03:24 #

I gasped when they were shown on tv. I thought the outfits were a horrible joke. The blue is positively hideous…dress, hat AND wearer. As for the ridiculous giant squid-pretzel hat….the designer and Beatrice should be shot for treason.

Did they dress dreadfully to get back at the royal family for not inviting their mum to the wedding?

48. Amber April 30, 2011 at 03:41 #

I do like Beatrice’s Valentino, but the hat is most likely the ugliest I’ve ever seen. And poor Eugenie, I think she forgot to look in the mirror when she put on that outfit. She usually has much better taste, but wow is that a spectacularly ugly ensemble.

49. Lily Daisy April 30, 2011 at 04:50 #

Our family all agree that their outfits were revenge for not inviting their mother to the wedding! The most elegant and tasteful were all the Middletons! Bravo for them.

50. Alina April 30, 2011 at 06:20 #

Beatrice looks beautiful.I even like her hat – I think is age appropriate.

51. Crystal April 30, 2011 at 06:50 #

i love both of the girls’ outfits…but cant see the same thing about the hats/headpieces.
    something like VB’s headpiece is more for my liking, simple and elegant

52. kimma April 30, 2011 at 06:59 #

I for one LOVED Beatrice’s coat dress and hat! She was my best dressed among the guests. However,I can’t find anything nice to say about Eugenie.

53. Gabriela April 30, 2011 at 07:02 #

In a wedding full of very predictable and quite boring dresses, they tried to infuse modernity and edginess… and IMO they failed.
    P. Eugenie’s dress make her broad and matronly, and P. Beatrice ruins a perfect dress and perfect color with an hideous antler like hat.
    I’m all about modern chic but only when it flatters you.

54. crazyme47 April 30, 2011 at 09:51 #

Princess Eugenie looks like an ugly betty with that look.
    I love the color of Princess Beatrice, but her shoes are ridiculously ridiculous.

55. KateS April 30, 2011 at 12:09 #

I agree with the general direction of the comments here – just frightful, both of them.
    Being young and having fun is one thing, but it’s no excuse for the bad taste on display here.

56. suzysue April 30, 2011 at 18:00 #

both look was awful.

i cant believe Princess eugenie is wearing vivienne westwood. I love vivienne westwood but she really does not pull off that dress in that colour! she looks so frumpy, the hat makes it worse.

Beatrice would have looked better if she took off the hat. less is more.
    so matchy matchy at weddings.

• Mary May 2, 2011 at 17:27 #

Vivienne Westwood said a month ago that Kate lacks style….

57. SarahV April 30, 2011 at 18:16 #

I like Beatrice’s choice, but I don’t think what princess Eugenie wore looks flattering.

58. Carol L April 30, 2011 at 20:04 #

What a pair of horrors.

59. Ally May 1, 2011 at 21:43 #

Truly hideous… they. look like pantomime dames. Both creations are stylish on the right body – but sadly not on these girls. Obviously they follow in their dreadful mother’s footsteps

60. Mary May 2, 2011 at 17:25 #

The outfits if Beatrice and Eugenie were both horrible. The Middleton’s gave the royal family a lesson in style.

61. claire May 4, 2011 at 01:13 #

i love it..they made the wedding even more memorable

62. Sebastian May 11, 2011 at 00:49 #

Did Princess Beatrice had to go to Paris to get her meausrements taken for her Couture Dress or is she just like other actresses who borrow the dress and then give it back?