Menu

29.04.11

Catherine Middleton In Sarah Burton For Alexander McQueen – 2011 Royal Wedding

STUNNING.

I will finally admit my reluctance to get excited about the Royal Wedding of Prince William and Catherine Middleton was a defence mechanism to prevent disappointed.

She didn’t disappoint.

Catherine was resplendent as she made her way to Westminster Abbey this morning.

I was actually was quite emotional seeing Catherine as she left the Goring Hotel, and I’m sure many of you shared that feeling.

Her Sarah Burton for Alexander McQueen ivory sweetheart neckline gown had a gorgeous French Chantilly lace bodice and a full skirt.

The dress is made with ivory and white satin gazar with a train measuring two metres 70 centimetres.

Catherine wished for her dress to combine tradition and modernity with the artistic vision that characterises Alexander McQueen’s work. She worked closely with Sarah Burton in formulating the design of her dress.

The wedding shoes were hand-made by the team at Alexander McQueen and are made of ivory duchesse satin with lace hand-embroidered by the Royal School of Needlework.

The bouquet was designed by Shane Connolly and draws on the traditions of flowers of significance for the Royal Family, the Middleton family and from the Language of Flowers.

The flowers’ meanings in the bouquet are:
Lily-of-the-valley: Return of happiness
Sweet William: Gallantry
Hyacinth: Constancy of love
Ivy: Fidelity; marriage; wedded love; friendship; affection
Myrtle: the emblem of marriage; love.

[nggallery id=755]

Credit: Getty

Rose Byrne In Prabal Gurung - "Bridesmaids" LA Premiere

Rose Byrne In Prabal Gurung – “Bridesmaids” LA Premiere

Pippa Middleton In Alexander McQueen - 2011 Royal Wedding

Pippa Middleton In Alexander McQueen – 2011 Royal Wedding

95 Responses to Catherine Middleton In Sarah Burton For Alexander McQueen – 2011 Royal Wedding

1. rita April 29, 2011 at 14:38 #

I didn’t like the dress AT ALL ! For 2 reasons: first, the vale looked like it belonged to another wedding dress. Secondly, the bottom of it was utterly ugly and heavy compared to the beautiful top of the dress. And the back was really bad! Her hair could have been better. A total disappointment in my opinion.

• serenissima April 29, 2011 at 16:10 #

ahhhh someone else looking at the same pictures as me! THANK YOU! i agree with everything you said, the bottom of that dress looks like she cut up her curtains a la ‘Gone With A Wind.’

a complete and utter disappointment

• Feliciti January 19, 2015 at 21:41 #

I agree. The train was attached in such a way as to make the back of the dress look like one big triangle with no waist definition. The lace on the bodice and sleeves looked cheap. The veil ruined what little shape the dress had. I wouldn’t say it was ugly, just very blah to me. Catherine has quite short legs proportionally, so I suspect some of the design was to disguise that. Anyway, her style in general is just a bit more plain than I like. I hated Pippa’s dress. All that aside, I did love the wedding itself.

2. NineteenEightyFour April 29, 2011 at 14:36 #

I loved her dress. yes, it is reminiscent of Grace Kelly’s gown, but ‘HRH The Duchess of Cambridge’ 🙂 is very discreet, understated and always elegant and this dress represents her respect for the Royal Traditions, Sarah Burton designing a McQueen dress on her big day meant that she was getting something classic, get beautifully crafted and stitched. The materials are just to die for and the lace was just Devine! I know most people wanted something edgy, even without a tiara but you can only push the envelope so far, I have a feeling she will be bringing out the awesome wardrobe during her lifetime post as Duchess/Princess and perhaps even Queen someday. Did anyone see the footage of her waving to the crowds as she entered her hotels last night, she protectively went straight to cover her belly…. Hmmmm. 🙂

3. Amy April 29, 2011 at 14:29 #

Stole the show…. as she should.

4. Tahj April 29, 2011 at 14:25 #

I can’t get that excited over the wedding myself. But really I don’t care much about the royals.

Still juding the dress, STUNNING. It was very similar to the dress Grace Kelly wore when she got married and becamse a Princess.

I like that it was simple and understated. I can’t stand fussy dresses. Never liked Princess Diana’s big dress. I love simple looks. They are the most timeless.

5. Leti April 29, 2011 at 14:14 #

I thought this dress was beautiful in its simplicity (for a royal wedding). It’s very true to Kate’s style and the economic climate. To the extent her dress was inspired by Grace Kelly’s, I think there’s no better royal bride from whom to take such inspiration.

6. Lils April 29, 2011 at 14:03 #

Absolutely gorgeous! Great ceremony, such a fairytale….

7. Raquel April 29, 2011 at 13:54 #

Yes, it reminds me Grace Kelly, but so what? Better than that giant mashmellow thing Diana wore and it’s a gorgeousn dress, very classy, very beautiful, she looked happy, and I’m all for it. If you are going to be inspired by someone, look for the best.

And THANKS GOD it was not a column dress.

Now, why Pipa wore white? Is that ok for bridesmaids wear white in England or that is a Royal Family thing?

8. fabiana April 29, 2011 at 13:41 #

the dress is beautiful but she should have worn her hair up. would have looked even classier!

9. robbie April 29, 2011 at 13:33 #

is it possible for this to be in the BDOTW poll?

10. mochababe73 April 29, 2011 at 13:30 #

The dress was just okay. I wasn’t wowed.
    I guess that I was expecting more from a custom made dress. If I had the means to have a dress custom made for me, it wouldn’t look like anyone else’s. It was appropriate. Although I was no fan of Diana’s poufy-ness (not my style), I found it to be more of a custom dress than this one. My immediate thought was I’d seen this dress before. To be honest, I was more interested in her sister’s dress.
    While I wasn’t wowed by the gown, I think that Kate looked beauitful as all brides do. I like that she kept the headpiece and veil simple.

11. Lily April 29, 2011 at 13:29 #

She looks gorgeous! People should find a picture of the bodice, there’s some beautiful work done on it. It’s also different than Princess Grace’s dress if you put the two together. This one is classic Kate.

12. Laura April 29, 2011 at 13:21 #

It is absolutely stunning and I’m shocked it’s McQueen. I’d heard all these rumors it was going to be an unknown designer, but I really wanted it to be McQueen.

One thing though: Don’t get me wrong I love Satah Burton, but I can’t help but wonder what the dress would have looked like if Lee were alive. He was the master and such a true artist. Still, zero complaints about this. I’m completely blown away.

13. claire April 29, 2011 at 13:19 #

the gown is quite common…i have seen similar design on a number of brides…but she looks very pretty and happy 😉

14. Sue Jin April 29, 2011 at 13:17 #

I squealed when they first showed her getting into the car.

She looked so incredibly beautiful! What a perfect gown for her! I love it very much, it’s a style that I really like. Truly timeless. I couldn’t stop smiling =)!
    The Princess is so elegant. Pure perfection.

& Thank you for posting the meanings of the bouquet!

15. Jessica April 29, 2011 at 13:16 #

I think she oozes class and elegance and I love the fact that the dress didn’t overpower her. Even though the dress is absolutely breathtaking.

fabulous wedding, and prince william looked pretty handsome also.

16. Pam April 29, 2011 at 13:16 #

A classic look that will stand the test of time. A century will go by and it will still be considered a fantastic gown. 🙂

I agree that it is reminiscent of Grace Kelly’s wedding dress, but I don’t hold that against the designer. I think this is the perfect dress for her. I really wanted to see the back of the wedding gown more. Hopefully there will be more close-up photos of it.

17. Lee Ann April 29, 2011 at 13:08 #

Whilst I thought she looked lovely and the dress was perfect for her in that it was understated and elegant I did feel that it was a very watered down version of Grace Kelly ‘ s so much so it almost looked like a department store copy. Having seen Sarah Buy’s dress and the dress she did for Syke ‘s , this dress is disappointing.

18. Marlie April 29, 2011 at 13:07 #

Her dress was lovely but I did expect a bit more. Loved the top half more than the bottom, would of preferred it to be more structured with a mermaid finish. Also would of preferred for her hair to be up. Watching it on tv it looked like she did it herself.

19. Kaz April 29, 2011 at 13:02 #

BDOTY? Will anything top this?!

FC, I wish you a wonderful birthday and celebration fit for a Queen 🙂

20. JamilaMaz April 29, 2011 at 13:00 #

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous. Perfection personified. Huge props to Sarah Burton!

21. Faellie April 29, 2011 at 12:59 #

That is a bride who won’t have anything to worry about when her wedding pictures are reprinted over the years. Beautiful, and status appropriate – definitely a gown, not just a dress.

22. Jess April 29, 2011 at 12:58 #

It was beautiful, classic, timeless, romantic….ahh and McQueen.
    BDOTW!

23. Ines April 29, 2011 at 12:57 #

She was born to be a Princess. She really was. Her behaviour was incredible, you could feel the happiness,, such a reign on her emotion! The dress was so very her, understated yet with a meaning, modern and old. She looked incredible and the veil so simple..my only regret is that she did her make up alone and brought back the freaking eye liner. She was a true vision. I am in awe

• Lee Ann April 29, 2011 at 15:33 #

I know don’t you want to hand her a smudge brush to lessen it.

24. Manuel April 29, 2011 at 12:54 #

She looks AMAZING in that Alexander McQueen dress

25. mikeijames April 29, 2011 at 12:42 #

the future queen in mcqueen.

26. Gail April 29, 2011 at 12:40 #

I do like the gown; I appreciate the gown’s classical, traditional, yet moden design, but I was expecting more from the future queen of England.

This gown, for me, didn’t have the WOW factor

• DivaMom April 29, 2011 at 15:07 #

A milliion percent agree! I cannot believe how boring this dress is. I wanted more!

27. Karis April 29, 2011 at 12:40 #

Stunning doesn’t even begin to describe her. Truly fit for a princess. I had a tear in my eye as she walked down the aisle. She looked so beautiful and happy!

28. Mahima April 29, 2011 at 12:35 #

lovely! she looked amazing.

29. moja31 April 29, 2011 at 12:35 #

she looks beautiful, but i wouldn’t say the dress is stunning. nothing about it really identifies it as a mcqueen creation, and the choice of designer seems more about fashion cred & buzz than about showcasing any unique design. i feel like i’ve seen the same thing in many a bridal magazine. beautiful choice of tiara though.

30. Vidhya April 29, 2011 at 12:33 #

Leave it to the British to pull off the perfect wedding amidst a media circus.. Amazing fashion, amazing conduct, amazing ceremony.. All ye Britishers, today is one of those days to be proud of your country.. 🙂

31. maria April 29, 2011 at 12:27 #

Yes, McQueen! I certainly didn’t dare wish for that. Absolute perfection. So beautiful I could cry.

32. noo April 29, 2011 at 12:25 #

i love almost everything about this look !!! what i don’t like is the bouquet, it’s too tiny. i’m probably just jealous 😀

33. Ella April 29, 2011 at 12:23 #

VERY, VERY BEAUTIFUL!! Is it just me or did it have some tones of Grace Kelly? I loved it!!!!! What a beautiful dress for a beautiful Princess

34. superficialdiva April 29, 2011 at 12:15 #

amazing! she is the most beautiful bride i have ever seen!

35. Voguette April 29, 2011 at 12:10 #

Wow, amazing

36. Hannah April 29, 2011 at 12:05 #

She really does look beautiful. While I am glad she wore Mcqueen, I feel that this opinion nad decision may have ben swayed by Alexandra Shulman, and I almost wish sh ehadn’t and had opted for someone I believe she would have worn anyway. None the less the dress is gorgeous. Pippa looks gorgeous too, but white is a little untraditional for a bridesmaid, no?
    Anyway congratulations to the happy couple!

• Hannah April 29, 2011 at 13:28 #

Oh and Happy Birthday FC (if that’s correct?) 😀 xx

• Fashion Critic April 29, 2011 at 13:35 #

yes thank you xx

37. Ayesha April 29, 2011 at 11:57 #

i absolutely loved it….really exquisite…WOW!

38. Rachel April 29, 2011 at 11:51 #

She looks exquisite. I felt so emotional, the music is so poignant as is the dress. Truly stunning.

39. robbie April 29, 2011 at 11:51 #

ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!

i was so sick and tired of the royal wedding and all the speculation going on until about 3 weeks ago. she looks like the perfect princess the hair and make-up look lovely.

40. Luis Santos April 29, 2011 at 11:50 #

The best dressed.

41. mm April 29, 2011 at 11:49 #

I shed some tears. I always cry at weddings. She looks beautiful. I absolutely love lace. I love how the dress is beautiful yet modest.

The boys choir sings so beautifully. Wonderful day for everyone

42. Debbie April 29, 2011 at 11:48 #

I love the lace and the train and the gorgeous gorgeous fabric but I felt that there was something missing? Perhaps a satin waist belt or something that would define her waist?? I also would’ve thought she would wear a fitted fish tail gown. Just needed a bit of oomph.

43. Megan April 29, 2011 at 11:46 #

I’m actually quite surprised by post yes it is a beautiful dress but I have seen better check the pronovios website and it can hardly be the dress of the decade when it’s has been seen before my first impression was that is was a direct copy of Grace Kelly but not even as special.

• Elena April 29, 2011 at 12:32 #

100 % agree with you

• molly April 29, 2011 at 22:14 #

I love it, but I have to agree.

• liv April 30, 2011 at 00:30 #

i agree. i immediately thought of grace kelly’s dress and imo grace rocked it better

44. Terry April 29, 2011 at 11:42 #

Gorgeous! I’m so glad she paid homage to McQueen, wearing a creation by Sarah Burton.

45. Jones19 April 29, 2011 at 11:41 #

I am so happy with Kate’s choice as well, I thought she would be so boring but she proved me wrong. A gorgeous gown reminiscent of Grace Kelly’s wedding dress. I admit I teared up a bit when she walked up the aisle. I want to get married now! 😀

• Jones19 April 29, 2011 at 11:42 #

Down the aisle I mean…you walk up the aisle when you leave right? Haha

• Gail April 29, 2011 at 12:42 #

It sounds like you want to have a wedding, not necessarily get married 🙂

• Jones19 April 29, 2011 at 13:45 #

Well now that I’ve found my prince charming, I want both 🙂

46. Marvel April 29, 2011 at 11:40 #

She looksAMAZING. I love the long train and just how beautiful she looked. Her sister looked really good as well.

I knew she woiuldnt disappoint

47. Ann April 29, 2011 at 11:39 #

Looks like the dress is very much inspired by Grace Kelly

48. Naomi April 29, 2011 at 11:39 #

Absolutely breath-taking.

49. Anita April 29, 2011 at 11:37 #

She is stunningly beautiful!

50. C April 29, 2011 at 11:34 #

Amazing………….

• Clover April 30, 2011 at 04:05 #

I’ll go ahead and say it…. BDOTW!!