Who Wore 3.1 Phillip Lim Better? Alexa Chung or Keira Knightley

Alexa Chung attended Mulberry’s star-studded VIP BBQ and Pool Party at this year’s Coachella Festival wearing an embellished 3.1 Phillip Lim silk dress with a black leather paillette panel.

The TV presenter relaxed poolside, pairing the dress with a gold necklace, Illesteva cat eye tortoiseshell sunglasses and 3.1 Phillip Lim two-tone black and tan sandals.

She completed her look with a hint of lipstick and blue nail polish.

The dress is definitely an interesting choice for a festival known to bring out more bohemian style choices (see Vanessa Hudgens and Isabel Lucas), so I appreciate Alexa’s different approach. She looks lovely but I don’t think that it works for a festival.

A few days later, fellow Brit Keira Knightley was photographed leaving the Comedy Theatre after her performance in ‘The Children’s Hour’ wearing the same dress.

Keira’s version has nude leather paillette panel which she paired with a added a dark grey blazer with a black collar. She also matched her brown leather Miu Miu bag to her brogues.

I love that Keira paired the dress with brown accessories and didn’t stick to basic black. The combination is unexpected but she definitely manages to pull it off.

I’m voting for Keira on this one. Even though Alexa looks great, I think the dress was the wrong choice for a pool party. I like that Keira chose contrasting accessories and think she pulls off that cool London girl look perfectly.

You can buy Keira’s version of this 3.1 Phillip Lim dress from Net-A-Porter US and Net-A-Porter International.

Credit: MrNewton.com & Xposure

Jessica Alba In L.A.M.B. - “The Every Girl’s Guide to Life" Book Launch

Jessica Alba In L.A.M.B. – “The Every Girl’s Guide to Life” Book Launch

LeAnn Rimes In Emilio Pucci - Moonshadows Restaurant

LeAnn Rimes In Emilio Pucci – Moonshadows Restaurant

18 Responses to Who Wore 3.1 Phillip Lim Better? Alexa Chung or Keira Knightley

1. Grace April 26, 2011 at 10:50 #

Keira needs to stop with the hipster look she has been trying out lately – she can’t pull it off and should stick to more classic pieces. Alexa looks great, she has a strong sense of her own style.

On a side note, it is funny to read that they’re friends now and sharing old boyfriends!

2. Lucía April 26, 2011 at 12:02 #

I don’t like it on either, but there is something that doesn’t work for me in Keira’s look

3. Gaber April 26, 2011 at 12:48 #

The see-though part of Kiera’s dress is completely out of proportion with the rest of the dress and it just kills the whole look.
    Gosh, that’s bad.

• Moxie April 26, 2011 at 15:48 #

I was thinking the same thing.

• justme April 26, 2011 at 16:16 #

Iawtc.

4. Gemma April 26, 2011 at 13:18 #

I like it on Keira better, plus is it just me or has she put on a bit of well needed weight lately? She looks so much healthier!

5. Francesca April 26, 2011 at 13:20 #

You mean we can buy Keira’s version. ;)

• Fashion Critic April 26, 2011 at 13:31 #

yes…thank you x

6. mochababe73 April 26, 2011 at 14:17 #

I didn’t like either one.
    I’m with you on Alexa wearing this to a pool party. It’s too dressy. She failed at trying to make it casual by wearing those ugly sandals.
    On Keira, I don’t like the shoes or the blazer.

7. frommdq April 26, 2011 at 14:31 #

I love brown broges, but not with a sequining dress. Sorry Keira, this time i´m going with alexa

8. Vicky April 26, 2011 at 15:35 #

Don’t really like the dress on either one, but it looks slightly washed out on Keira..

9. Bonnie April 26, 2011 at 17:26 #

Keira could wear a garbage bag and she’d look amazing. She is soooo gorgeous, anything she wears looks fantastic.

10. ShoeGal April 26, 2011 at 18:12 #

I prefer it on Kiera. I like how she dressed it up a bit with the blazer,horrible shoes though. I do prefer the gray panel on Alexa’s vs the gold on Kieras.

11. pam April 26, 2011 at 20:39 #

Not really a pool party look, but I think she looks better than Keira. Keira’s under skirt is either too short or perhaps pulled up. It also looks too tight, although I can’t believe anything could be tight on Keira!

12. Emi April 26, 2011 at 21:32 #

None. Really and I also think it’s quite difficult to pull this dress off, because of the different fabric and textures. I really dislike Keira’s brogues and I think it’s quite a strange choice for a pool party. None, anyway, really bad accessorized, in both cases.

13. Lee April 27, 2011 at 01:17 #

I think Alexa looks great, I don’t like the beige panel on Keira’s dress, and I don’t think she has the legs to pull off the look she’s going for. As for pool party appropriate, the pretend bohemian look was overdone at Coachella, it’s a music party, you should wear whatever you want. Alexa looks like Alexa, and I love the shoes and shades with the dress.

• Quyen April 28, 2011 at 00:24 #

I agree with you Lee.

• pipsqueak April 29, 2011 at 04:06 #

You’re absolutely right! Keira has been in too many period flicks obviously. I didn’t realize how terrible her legs are. Alexa wins for me – I especially love the sandals. I like the “pretend bohemian” part. Coachella is such a poser-fest now … lame.