13.04.11

January Jones For W Magazine May 2011

January Jones looks awesome on the cover of W Magazine’s May 2011 issue.

I love that she’s opted for a more edgy shoot which was captured by Craig McDean and styled by Lori Goldstein.

In the editorial of all black looks, the ‘Mad Men’ actress wears Celine, Michael Kors, Giorgio Armani, Versace and Calvin Klein.

She talks about ‘Betty Draper’, her role as ‘Emma Frost’ in ‘X-Men: First Class’ (out in June) and getting starstruck around football players.

Here are some extracts from her interview.

The magazine comes out April 19, but you can read more over at wmag.com.

On the thought of getting marriage proposals at Comic-Con: “That’s perfect! Comic-Con is mostly male, and I don’t really have that audience. And, I’m really like a guy in a lot of ways. My screen saver is a picture of me with [NFL stars] Eli and Peyton Manning taken at the Kentucky Derby. The most starstruck I get is around football players.”

On moving to NYC as a model: “I was excited to be independent, but I was also naïve – I wanted to be rich and famous. I lived in an apartment near the Empire State Building. There were a billion girls in New York City who wanted to be models. After a while, I was immune to rejection, which helped when I went out to LA to become an actress.”

On her upcoming role as Emma Frost in X-Men: “As Emma Frost, I’m telepathic, and I can turn into a diamond, which means I’m very, very cold. I always wear white: lots of iridescent stretch leather, lots of sparkle, and ass-kicking white boots.”

On taking the role of Betty Draper: “There was no Betty in the pilot when I auditioned. I read for Peggy two times – it was between me and Elisabeth Moss who eventually got the part. At the end of the scene, there was a casual mention that Don was married. [Creator Matthew Weiner] went home that night and wrote two scenes that featured Betty. I auditioned a couple of days later, and he made me a verbal promise that the character would grow. I took the part on faith.”

On people dress as Betty Draper for Halloween: “Because of the clothes, I understand. It’s strange, but when the season ends I miss wearing all Betty’s underpinnings. I love long-line bras and girdles. There’s a sexiness about girdles—on Mad Men I wear them four months out of the year, and I see my body changing. When you wear a girdle, you can’t bend in the usual way. Your thighs are cinched together, which makes your stride shorter. You automatically get a wiggle in your walk. It’s sexy.

Credit: Craig McDean for W Mag

Ana de Armas In Zuhair Murad - Malaga Film Festival 2014 Closing Ceremony

Ana de Armas In Zuhair Murad – Malaga Film Festival 2014 Closing Ceremony

Emma Stone In Louis Vuitton - Louis Vuitton Celebrates Glamour Magazine's May Cover Girls

Emma Stone In Louis Vuitton – Louis Vuitton Celebrates Glamour Magazine’s May Cover Girls

17 Responses to January Jones For W Magazine May 2011

1. ShoeGal April 13, 2011 at 23:07 #

I hate these pictures. She doesn’t even look pretty in them. She looks like like she is trying way too hard to be edgy and sexy (as usual).

• Iris April 14, 2011 at 06:03 #

erm… why would looking ‘pretty’ be a criterion?

• rebecca April 15, 2011 at 14:27 #

She’s not supposed to look pretty! The editorial is about angles and architecture.

2. jill (polkadot23) April 13, 2011 at 23:07 #

Unbelievable: I would not have recognised her.

I felt from the start that JJ was/is/will be one of those mega stars like they say they don’t have in Hollywood anymore. She is such a versatile actress (if you ever see Love, Actually again: she’s in that and is so not Betty Draper) that you actually think she IS Betty Draper. She’s just that good an actress.

This is such a great series and it reminds me that modelling is acting. Or like the opening to The Model Agency: ‘We are not actors but we are.. acting.’

I so rarely buy magazines these days but you’ve sold me on buying this copy of W: curious!

3. alannah April 13, 2011 at 23:10 #

this makes me love her even more. such an amazing contrast to her betty draper style but it suits her equally as much.. what a lucky girl to be able to look so damn fine in any style.

4. mol April 13, 2011 at 23:30 #

I’ve always felt this cool repressed kind of sexuality in the way JJ presents – i think its very effective and kinda intriquing….I like this editorial, it really works for her personality…

5. Tahj April 14, 2011 at 00:11 #

I don’t like this shoot at all. Trying too hard to be edgy and depart from her Betty Draper character. Stick with what works.

6. Hannah April 14, 2011 at 01:07 #

OH, how I lvoe January Jones. Sometimes, well most of the time lately, it is hard to keep the faith, but she aways has the ability to send shockwaves down my spine. She’s such a chameleon. I really wish she would bring this to a red carpet sometime soon, sans the black, especially the pumps. Only in editorials January, only is ediotrials.

7. rebecca o April 14, 2011 at 02:33 #

I love this shoot! She can really model unlike a lot of actresses.

• Rahel April 14, 2011 at 10:16 #

Exactly. Other actresses look so forced when they have to pose.

8. Iris April 14, 2011 at 05:59 #

fabulous! one of the best editorials in recent times, i’d think

9. Lee Ann April 14, 2011 at 12:48 #

this is one of the better photo shoots for W. they are usually so “artistic ” you can’t see a thing.

10. CreoleLady April 14, 2011 at 12:55 #

OK, I get it – you’re not Betty Draper. Can we move on now?

• passerby April 15, 2011 at 03:43 #

The thing is, I dont even think she had a slightest thought of ” Betty Draper”. It’s the people who stamp “Betty Drapper” on her and see her as that.

It’s like she’s just January stepping in on the set, owning it like any versatile model do.

11. Can April 15, 2011 at 00:13 #

I feel like they got it half right. Like the look wasn’t as fully conceived as it could have been and so some of the shots suffered but it’s a good jump off.

I think they could have taken it a bit further but I suppose then no one would have recognised her.

12. passerby April 15, 2011 at 03:45 #

She’s lucky she landed as actress. She has quite a forgetable face as a model imho! But overall, this works, just because I’m seeing her in a whole new light. Go Jones!

13. Toni April 29, 2011 at 02:35 #

Stunning. She is beautiful and this is a beautiful ( not ” pretty” , but beautiful, shoot). Betty Draper is a character on tv, not a real woman. This is a real, totally hot, woman.