11.04.11

Kate Middleton In Vintage Amanda Wakeley – Witton County Park Royal Visit

Earlier today Prince William and his fiancee Kate Middleton visited Witton County Park in Darwen, England.

The Princess-in-waiting wore a vintage navy Amanda Wakeley suit with matching pumps on this official royal visit.

A youthful touch came via her navy clutch with silver embellishments.

Whilst this is the perfect look for Kate on a royal visit, I can’t help wishing she’d take the Michelle Obama approach to dressing.

Formal doesn’t have to equal boring.

Whilst Mrs O has come under attack for cardigans, going sleeveless and her red Alexander McQueen gown which she wore to a state dinner, you can never call her too formal nor too boring.

The pressure on Kate to be stylish and live up to Lady Diana is very high, but with the right brands and the right fashion advisor she could give us youthful yet sophisticated looks and really connect with the younger generation of royal watchers.

At the moment I’m more excited to see what Mrs O wears than Kate.

Credit: Fame Pictures

Sidewalk Style: Emma Roberts In Topshop

Sidewalk Style: Emma Roberts In Topshop

Alexis Bledel In Stella McCartney - “The Conspirator” Washington DC Premiere

Alexis Bledel In Stella McCartney – “The Conspirator” Washington DC Premiere

33 Responses to Kate Middleton In Vintage Amanda Wakeley – Witton County Park Royal Visit

1. Tania April 11, 2011 at 22:23 #

Her street style bores me I am interested in what her wedding dress will look like.

2. fiona4802 April 11, 2011 at 22:54 #

I would love to see her channeling Princess Mary of Denmark. She dresses in a very elegant fashion but is not boring.

• Me April 12, 2011 at 09:25 #

I agree, she is very elegant.

3. Cam April 11, 2011 at 23:21 #

I read that Kate doesn’t have a stylist yet and hasn’t been provided with any assistance or guidance because she’s not a member of the family. So, she’s figuring out the proper attire on her own. Who on earth knows what to wear on these occasions?

But I also read that she doesn’t want to be known as a clotheshorse like Diana, so we’ll see what style she ends up adopting. She’s probably playing it very safe at the moment. The suit is very cute but safe. Cuter heels were called for, but she was walking across grass and around a track, so who knows.

I love Mrs. O too. She is one of my favorites. But I think she has more leeway to be more daring with her fashion.

• Betty Brandenburg April 12, 2011 at 20:57 #

She’s got all the help she wants, now that she’s the fiancee. But the royal family is never at the cutting edge or even interesting edge of fashion!
      Ms Middleton’s always dressed in a safe way and i find it depressing and boring that someone of her age doesn’t develop a more interesting style. Let’s hope her wedding dress doesn’t disappoint (or at least, let’s hope it fits, unlike that of her future sister in law, Sophie Wessex’s dress which was an appalling fit).
      The only really good wedding dress was Princess Anne’s, followed by Diana which was at least age-appropriate, which cannot be said for anything Ms Middleton’s worn: she wears what I wore in my late 30s.

• Fashion Critic April 12, 2011 at 21:03 #

I’m not going to bother getting exciting about the dress. I have a feeling it will be a huge let down

• Betty Brandenburg April 12, 2011 at 23:33 #

Agree. It won’t be by Sarah Burton, or I’ll eat my hat!

• Betty Brandenburg April 12, 2011 at 23:35 #

See Hello Magazine online about the speculation as to who her stylistic advisers will be…

4. Ashley April 11, 2011 at 23:29 #

She is a very pretty woman but she needs to have more fun with her style. But maybe fashion isn’t her thing?

5. Beauty Is Diverse April 11, 2011 at 23:50 #

This outfit is a bit boring.

6. Clover April 12, 2011 at 00:44 #

Good Lord, I think she’s adorable. If I were thrown into the spotlight like she has been since the engagement announcement I doubt I would have carried myself half as well.
    I think she’s starting to get a bit more polish – although it’s all relative really, she’s far more polished than most already. Marrying into the royal family with Britain still in a financial crisis – can you imagine the outcry if she showed up wearing expensive designer clothes everywhere? Totally. She’s so very relatable, at the same time as being so very beautiful, and so very stylish – I think she’s wonderful.
    More Kate please FC!

• Vidhya April 12, 2011 at 04:48 #

I totally agree.. just cos u r thrust in the public eye, doesnt mean u have to wear daring outfits and try to focus the spotlight on urself all the time. Mrs. O, yeah u r the first lady, nt a hollywood star. Being elegant and wearing timeless pieces is different frm wearing the newest clothes hot off the runway. anyway i think kate middleton has been carrying herself so well. she looks very well turned out. maybe she is too young to look elegant but thats just her aesthetic.

• Fashion Critic April 12, 2011 at 08:10 #

No one is asking her to be daring.

Modern. Dressing her age. Appealing to her age group, yes.

I’m not expecting her to dress like Rihanna.

Whether she likes it or not she will be judged by her fashion choices.

You are naive to think that it is not an issue.

• Vidhya April 12, 2011 at 11:04 #

wats with the personal attack, calling me naive?? oh my, for a critic, u r touchy when someone disagrees with u..

• Fashion Critic April 12, 2011 at 11:21 #

It wasn’t a personal attack, is was a reply to your comment.

She will be judge on her fashion choices and to think otherwise is naive. This isn’t an attack.

Every time she steps out of her house she is critiqued on what she wears.

As much charity work as Diana did, she was judged on her clothing first.

With regards to being touchy…honestly it isn’t that deep. You have taken my comment way to personally.

• Rebecca April 12, 2011 at 05:10 #

I think you put your finger right on it–she is being very careful to avoid criticism and I don’t blame her. there’s time for her to declare herself

7. Elaine April 12, 2011 at 00:47 #

Me and my friend were saying the exact same thing earlier – that she should add a more youthful touch to her outfits and I also said she should take a leaf out of Mrs Obama’s books!

8. Ayvee April 12, 2011 at 01:41 #

The jacket and skirt are from Amanda Wakeley’s Fall 2007 RTW collection. Does that make it vintage? I always wonder if vintage just means not the current collection.

Anyway, I actually love this look on her. Very classy and the jacket is very interesting with a bit of corset design on it. Hope to see more of Kate in the future.

Thanks!

• jkrau June 7, 2011 at 22:20 #

I love this look as well! Just clicked on this post to look at it ONCE AGAIN because I love it so much — FC I can see how you might think it’s boring, but I love the cut, the small details with the buttons and the collar, the shoes, and her hair, which she had never worn in that style before! I found this to be one of her most stately, elegant outfits yet. It reminded me of a (actually vintage) traveling suit from the turn of the century, when people got more dressed up in these coordinated outfits!

9. Maria April 12, 2011 at 03:07 #

Kate always looks pretty though. Her outfits may not be exciting but maybe she doesn’t like dressing that way. I do have to say, I am not a fan of Mrs. Obama’s wardrobe. Beautiful clothes, but they do not always flatter her body shape.

10. Luis April 12, 2011 at 05:14 #

Awful and aged her. She has no taste and in her marriage i bet she would change her wedding gown into a Beckham’s dress in the evening. She tries so hard.

11. Jones19 April 12, 2011 at 07:58 #

Couldn’t agree more, she’s so boring. Always a navy or a black suit with matching heels. Come on Kate do something fun for a change.

12. Ines April 12, 2011 at 08:08 #

She needs to put on some weight. I swear, I’ve been following her since the very beginning and she looked way better with a few more pounds.

That’s said, she never really showed a huge fashion’s interest. Her attire once was only composed of mini skirts, suede books, tights and somehow cute/boring tops. It’s pretty sad because she is built like a model (great legs, tall and very pretty). My favorite outfit of her since her engagement might have been the christening of a boat and her visit to St Andrews. She looks great in flashy colours like red.

Anyway I don’t believe she is getting any help at all regarding her clothes so I really can’t wait for her to discover her “inner fashion” self ;) Ultimately I don’t believe she’ll ever put a Theron on the Red Carpet but it’d be great if she transformed like CP Mary of Denmark (who had a WAY worst style than Middleton!) The thing is Middleton got nices pieces but she doesn’t know how to put them together..

As for Mrs O, she is one of a kind ;) I have never seen a First Lady having so much fun with fashion, but she does admit that she loves it so of course it’s easier for her :)

13. Penny Dreadful Vintage April 12, 2011 at 08:56 #

It is all crushed!

I think her style is supremely dull. Which is fine, if she doesn’t like fashion then that is up to her. But why do people keep taking pictures of such a boringly dressed person? It isn’t interesting!

• molly April 13, 2011 at 00:27 #

Because shes going to marry a prince.

14. Victoria April 12, 2011 at 09:58 #

I think, half the fun is waiting and seeing what Kate comes up with next. :D Like you said, with the right brands + fashion advisor.. well, who knows what could happen? Fan Bing Bing’s (who’s one of my red carpet favourites) looks from 1-2 years back weren’t much to wow over and look at her now! :D

15. Lee Ann April 12, 2011 at 10:02 #

I agree with everything you wrote. I think time will tell. Having said that she must look at her photos to get an idea of what works-Can’t she see that that damn kohl around her eyes ages her about 10 years. Would someone please buy the woman a smudge brush?
    And tell her to stay out of the sun because her complexion is even more aging.

16. Bridget April 12, 2011 at 12:08 #

Absolutely stunning….as always!

17. ankita April 12, 2011 at 18:52 #

bad hair day for the lady … isnt she supposed to have an army of people to style it

18. molly April 12, 2011 at 21:56 #

Im so sick of hearing her being called a fashion icon. There is a huge difference between being a fashion icon and having good taste. She has good taste. Nothing more, nothing less. She really just wears the same outfit over and over in different fabric and different colors. Boring. Shes a stunning young women, she deserves an outfit worthy of it. I am interested to see her wedding dress though. Im curious if the royal family will have her put into a giant and unflattering ballgown like Dianna. I hope not.
    Now about this oufit, I love the jacket, but I wish she wore a white skirt/dress. Im not really feeling the matchy matchy thing. It fits her wonderfully though.

19. jK April 13, 2011 at 16:17 #

Yea … might be a bit boring … but i think she looks very classy. Sorry. coming from California myself, Im glad she’s not tanned or with overly plumped lips.

20. alannah April 16, 2011 at 05:48 #

i agree.. i think she needs to take a bit of style guidance from some of her european counterparts eg mary of denmark (http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/celebrity/princess-mary-and-prince-frederiks-royal-twins-christened/story-e6frfmqi-1226039423511) she always gets it appropriately right.
    im hoping one day i wake up & see news of catherine wearing something beautiful.x

• Fashion Critic April 16, 2011 at 11:14 #

I pray for that day too.

I’m not asking her to wear Alexander Wang, but she can do so much better.