02.04.11

Anna Wintour In J Brand Jeans – Sony Ericsson Open

When Bryan Boy tweated that Anna Wintour was wearing jeans, I thought he was playing a twisted April’s Fool joke.

As its April 2nd, I then prayed that she’s wasn’t wearing Jessica Simpson mum jeans.

With my fingers crossed I clicked the link find Ms Wintour looking refreshingly relaxed in her J Brand “914” low-rise cigarette leg jeans and a Proenza Schouler top.

She was papped wearing the jeans yesterday whilst enjoying her second love – tennis – during the Sony Ericsson Open at Crandon Park Tennis Center in Key Biscayne, Florida.

I think this is a first.

Does anyone else remember seeing her wearing jeans before? She usually wears Oscar de la Renta to tennis matches.

Some of you may remember that Anna Wintour’s first ever November 1988 American Vogue cover featured a model wearing Christian Lacroix Couture and a pair of jeans.

Jeans are clearly a part of her fashion history.

Credit: Getty

Naomie Harris In Gucci - Harper’s Bazaar Woman Of The Year Awards 2013

Naomie Harris In Gucci – Harper’s Bazaar Woman Of The Year Awards 2013

Anna Wintour In Prada - Sony Ericsson Open

Anna Wintour In Prada – Sony Ericsson Open

28 Responses to Anna Wintour In J Brand Jeans – Sony Ericsson Open

1. Ally April 2, 2011 at 20:33 #

She looks so cute and relaxed. :-)

2. Rekha April 2, 2011 at 21:01 #

This isn’t the first time she’s worn jeans. Back in August 2009 is apparently the first sighting I think:

• Fashion Critic April 2, 2011 at 21:02 #

cool. thanks

3. Hisadora April 2, 2011 at 21:17 #

love it! she looks so cute and fresh!!!

4. Incroyable April 2, 2011 at 21:34 #

OMG It was just yesterday a friend and I were saying we have never seen Anna in jeans, and how weird it would be.
    Now if she’s spotted in New Balance or Sketchers we know the end is near

5. Adri April 2, 2011 at 22:08 #

Does anyone know what brand they are?

• Fashion Critic April 2, 2011 at 22:13 #

Possibly J Brand…she mentions them in The September issue

• Adri April 3, 2011 at 06:34 #

I know that her last sighting in jeans it was j brand…these remind me of the seven for all mankind skinny in RNSD wash.

6. alannah April 2, 2011 at 23:03 #

i actually think this is a really really good look for her.. she should do it more often!

7. mochababe73 April 2, 2011 at 23:22 #

This looks better than some of the other outfits that I’ve seen her wear.
    I actually like it altough I would have loved seeing her sweater in a brighter color.

8. LL April 2, 2011 at 23:51 #

I also remember in The September Issue she is sitting with her daughter and wearing a pair of white pants, that I’m pretty sure are white jeans. I remember thinking she looked casual and comfortable in a top like the one she’s wearing above and white jeans.

9. Grégory De Vos April 2, 2011 at 23:52 #

Back in 2008 she wore jeans to attend a basketball game in Madison Square Garden: http://nymag.com/daily/fashion/06_wintour_lgl.jpg

I think this is a refreshing look!
    Anna can wear anything she’d be classy plus she shows us a very good-looking figure for a woman of her age! :)

10. Can April 3, 2011 at 00:51 #

She looks very good in them, so no complaints from me.

Maybe it’s just me but I feel there’s been a move lately from Ms Wintour and Vogue towards an element of unpredictability. It’s nice to be surprised from time to time actually, so again no complaints from me again. It’s interesting :)

11. sasha April 3, 2011 at 04:01 #

hi! She wore JBrand at Sundance when promoting The September Issue. However, she certainly doesn’t make me want to run out and get her look like a Cameron or Charlize would.

12. pipsqueak April 3, 2011 at 04:17 #

Even if she had worn high-waist mom jeans, Anna would’ve still looked better than Jessica Simpson. Anna simply watches her figure and has a better one. She looked young and urban here.

13. EmilyB April 3, 2011 at 04:39 #

She’s wearing J Brand jeans! I have them!

• Fashion Critic April 3, 2011 at 07:25 #

14. 2724 April 3, 2011 at 08:02 #

I’m not shocked though. If you saw “The September Issue,” you’ll remember she praised J. Brand jeans with a quick mention during one of the confessionals/interviews.

15. Vidhya April 3, 2011 at 08:37 #

Oh my… she looks so cool… is her hair lighter?

16. Emi April 3, 2011 at 09:23 #

She should wear jeans more often, she looks good, younger, relaxed and more… human! Well done Mrs Wintour!

17. olivia April 3, 2011 at 09:28 #

I remember watching the tennis match on Tv from Miami, and then they showed Anna W. She was sitting, but i wouldn’t have guessed that she was wearing jeans.

18. Pan April 3, 2011 at 10:02 #

I think she’s a bit too skinny for my taste. But kudos for her wearing something not de la Renta-ish

In the second photo, she reminds me of Voldemot from Harry Potter

19. Alexandra April 3, 2011 at 13:00 #

i wish i looked this good in jeans.

i don’t own any jeans as i only wear dresses but if Anna can swap her de la Renta’s for J Brands maybe it won’t hurt me too…? :D

great look!

20. MP April 3, 2011 at 23:55 #

These are for sure J Brand. Heard they make jeans just for her.

21. FelipeA April 4, 2011 at 02:56 #

I’ve seen pictures of her wearing jeans during fashion week on style.com. Not a recent fashion week. Prior to 2005. 2003 maybe. She wore them to the Balenciaga show if i’m not mistaken, and a couple others. I remember being completelly shocked at the site of her in jeans. It seemed unreal.

22. Alicat April 4, 2011 at 03:46 #

She certainly has a more relaxed look here than usual due to the jeans paired with the top. Now all she needs to do is relax her hairstyle a bit – it is so helmet-like and never-changing although a do detact a few stray strands towards the crown.

23. LizLemooon April 4, 2011 at 18:34 #

FIRST SIGN OF THE APOCALYPSE. The world really is ending in 2012. *SIGH* and I never got a chance to get married in Alexander McQueen.
    Oh well.
    She looks great! I think she has this cocquettish, girlish vibe about her in this outfit that is really cute despite her stern reputation.

24. Susan April 5, 2011 at 14:40 #

I saw her in NYC in the early 1990s in line for the ladies room at a restaurant and she was wearing jeans and brown boots up to the knee. I smiled at her because I recognized her and she smiled back.