Jena Malone In Juan Carlos Obando – “Sucker Punch” LA Premiere

Jena Malone was my joint favourite with Jamie Chung on the red carpet last night at the LA Premiere for “Sucker Punch.”

The indie actress never bores me on the red carpet.

What I love about her is that she never goes for the obvious.

Like on this occasion she wore a Juan Carlos Obando Resort 2011 midriff-baring ensemble.

Her black cropped top was paired with a pink full skirt with a fish-tail hem.

We’re always wanting something a bit different on the red carpet and Jena gave it to us.

The sexy look with an edge was teamed with a Raven Kauffman Couture Garbo clutch and a Brian Atwood ‘Rina’ sandals.

From head-to-toe she was the only one to nail her look last night.

Credit: Style.com & Fame Pictures

Abbie Cornish In Amanda Wakeley - "Sucker Punch" LA Premiere

Abbie Cornish In Amanda Wakeley – “Sucker Punch” LA Premiere

Malin Akerman In Holmes & Yang - "Sucker Punch” LA Premiere

Malin Akerman In Holmes & Yang – “Sucker Punch” LA Premiere

38 Responses to Jena Malone In Juan Carlos Obando – “Sucker Punch” LA Premiere

1. ShoeGal March 24, 2011 at 18:15 #

This entire look is HORRIFYING! A head to toe disaster. She looks like a rejected prom queen. It’s tacky to the tenth power. The skirt is wrinkled,the shoes look cheap and I loathe showing stomach on the red carpet. If you did a WDOTW she would win hands down. One of the worst looks I have seen all year so far.

• maria March 24, 2011 at 19:02 #

tell us how you really feel….hahahaha.
      I completely agree though. The only thing i like about the look is her hair.
      I must say that the skirt in the picture with the model looks totally different and much more stylish.

• Talita March 24, 2011 at 19:44 #

Totally agree. It couldn’t be any worse. Her hair adds up to the mess, it looks like she has a doll hair, so stiff.

2. Rachel March 24, 2011 at 18:21 #

Very 90′s Jennifer Love Hewitt esque.

• Leo March 24, 2011 at 19:33 #

Lol! So true. J.Love was the first thing on my mind when I saw this.

3. noo March 24, 2011 at 18:40 #

the moment i saw it i thought of the 90s, in a very bad way. the frosted lipstick and the white eye shadow are just sad :S

4. Tahj March 24, 2011 at 18:46 #

I don’t know, I thought the bare midriff thing went out of style in the early 00s when Britney Spears was more popular. Now it just looks tacky, especially on the red carpet.

5. WendyB March 24, 2011 at 18:55 #

LOVE the shape of the skirt. The rest, not so much. Agree with Rachel!

6. dee March 24, 2011 at 18:56 #

I only like that it is different.

7. Ethne Blist March 24, 2011 at 19:04 #

You have to be in a certain mindset in order to like this look. Jenna Malone has her own brand of fabulousness and not taking the normal rode is it. She is only showing a little bit of skin.

• mm March 24, 2011 at 19:31 #

I agree. I think she looks fantastic. The hairstyle and cut suits her so well.

• Yasmine March 24, 2011 at 22:19 #

what mindset is that though?

im trying really hard to get around it, but i keep concluding that with this outfit (from hair, makeup to her outfit) that shes one of those beautiful girls with thin bodies that have no idea what their doing when they dress… :/

• serenissima March 26, 2011 at 02:16 #

She looks fun, unique, and funky… That’s the kind of mindset you have to be in. Kind of camp, like the movie. If you expect her to wear an evening gown just because it’s a premiere or already think midriffs are tacky, then you have the wrong mindset.

I’m confused about the hate for midriffs, tho… So if she wore a dress with cutouts across the stomach, would you all be singing the same tune? I’m also pretty sure if Alexa Chung or Chloe Sevigny wore something like this, people would be falling all over it. It’s different in the best wa

• Fashion Critic March 26, 2011 at 07:02 #

I love your comment. I was really surprised people hated this look so much

8. E March 24, 2011 at 19:13 #

The only thing I like about this look is the shoes. Those are some pretty hot shoes…

9. romina March 24, 2011 at 19:50 #

Wow so much hate on this outfit!

I think the red carpet is the time to stand out and look extraordinary. She’s not playing it safe which is a good thing, it works great for her figure and I think it is fun and complimentary to it. That skirt is rather magnificent.

Also this movie is seems so camp and the women often scantily clad….that this sliver of bare midriff hardly seems inappropriate.

10. Hannah March 24, 2011 at 19:53 #

I think there is somethign a bit too 90′s about the outfit for me, and I am so not liking her makeup. It jsut looks a little cheap.
    One thing I will say is that the comment and things I have read on other sites and in other places saying, about certain photos, that she had skin and fat or whatever hanging over the skirt and under the top, which I think is ludicrous and disgusting. She is not much more than a rake, and it should not be of concern her size or whatever ridiculous issues that seem to occur to people.

11. Andrew Mackinnon March 24, 2011 at 20:02 #

This skirt looks like an 80′s shower curtain on her. The top looks tacky and cheap. The hair looks like it belongs to Victoria Beckham circa 1996. NOT GOOD. x

12. LizLemooooon March 24, 2011 at 20:10 #

I’d have preferred the top to also be a metallic pastel colour like the skirt but I think she looks great! This is very 90s from the sleek bob to the pastel lips and I really like it.

13. justme March 24, 2011 at 20:28 #

She looks like she’s wearing a Leona Lewis creation. And her make-up & hair so belong in the 90′s it’s not even funny anymore. NO THANKS.

• Lou March 25, 2011 at 00:31 #

I immediately thought of Leona’s self designed efforts too(awfu)l!! However this looks SOOOOO much better than Leona’s designs!

14. currygirl March 24, 2011 at 20:34 #

Me no likey. Looks cheap on her. However, her hair looks great…wish I could get away with a cut like that!

15. Suz March 24, 2011 at 20:44 #

Wow, I’ve got to disagree FC. In fact, generally whenever a crop top is involved, I’ve got to disagree.

16. Rebecca March 24, 2011 at 21:07 #

I think she pulls it off–love her shoes. Just a little bit like Barbie.

17. shap_half March 24, 2011 at 21:09 #

I don’t get this uproar. I think she looks good.

• Fashion Critic March 24, 2011 at 21:59 #

It ‘s just you and I who seem to like this

18. KateS March 24, 2011 at 21:58 #

I like her for not being cookie-cutter, but this is giving me 90s flashbacks in the worst possible way. I had that hair in highschool circa 1996, and it wasn’t a good idea then!
    At least the fit is good…?

19. sara March 25, 2011 at 05:12 #

Worst dressed by FARRRR! Emily Browning who FC didn’t cover looked great in Erdem, if you are judging her as going ‘different’. Malin was the most chic and classic and best dressed.

Jena should have worn something like MARNI, ROCHAS, PRADA, VINTAGE MUGLER, GILES or even like MARY KATRANTZOU. Those designers I think make more sense for her, no?

• Clare March 27, 2011 at 00:36 #

Yeah, FC why didn’t you cover Emily Browning? She’s a fantastic young actress and I thought she looked lovely.

20. june March 25, 2011 at 06:18 #

sorry, it’s way too 90s formal dress for me

21. ayishaa March 25, 2011 at 08:42 #

Wow a crop top with a fish tail skirt. That spells disaster IMO. This look has no atom of sophistication. Its really really bad.

• Clare March 27, 2011 at 00:35 #

^exactly my thoughts.

22. Elisa March 25, 2011 at 08:42 #

This is completely and utterly UGLY. Looks like the whole Dawson’s Creek-crew is going to prom. Combined. This is terrible. Argh.

23. Sharon March 25, 2011 at 16:48 #

It just looks too much like a snaps up the back Barbie creation. Don’t like the hair either.

24. mari March 25, 2011 at 20:20 #

I like it1
    love the color combination, and i even thinks she looks elegant, from her hair, her pose and her shoes!
    She eve looks better, since I think she was getting too thin.

25. mochababe73 March 26, 2011 at 19:20 #

This has got to be one of the TACKIEST looks that I have ever seen on the red carpet. It just looks cheap. The two parts don’t even go together. The top should have been kept simple.

26. Clare March 27, 2011 at 00:32 #

FC, no offence to you or anyone who loves this look but unique and tacky are different things. The skirt’s nice but with the black top looks like a prom disaster. Also, I have no problems with whole midriff thing but she should’ve opted for a shorter skirt that was not in-your-face pink. This look is not effortless or different, it’s more I-want-to-be-different-but-try-too-hard. If she wanted to stand out she could’ve opted for a way classier look. Classy doesn’t have to mean boring.

27. Victor March 30, 2011 at 23:25 #