Rihanna For Vogue US April 2011

Rihanna channels her inner Ariel from The Little Mermaid on cover of the April 2011 edition of American Vogue.

The singer was so excited about her cover, she tweeted it straight after the shoot.

As Vogue covers are features are supposed to be confidential, I wasn’t surprised to see her tweet taken down a few hours later.

I can see why she was so excited. She got to wear a stunning embroidered Chanel Pre-Fall 2011 dress on the cover which was shot by famed photographer Annie Leibovitz.

The editors at Vogue didn’t try to portray Rihanna as anyone other than herself. She gives us sexy rock chic bad-ass attitude plus a few gentle shots of her skipping down the beach wearing Lanvin.

Rihanna wears a red hot Hervé Léger by Max Azria cutout swimsuit with Alexander Wang open-toe booties; a Chloé one-shoulder mesh dress and a Donna Karan midnight-blue bodysuit in the rest of her beautiful editorial.

The April issue is called the “Shape Issue”, so Rihanna talks about loving her figure and hating the gym. Here are some extracts from her interview:

On cutting her hair and dying it black back in 2007: “When I cut my hair, the whole sound changed, my style changed.”

On her body: “Over the holidays, and even during filming, I realized that I actually like my body, even if it’s not perfect according to the book. I just feel sexy. For the first time, I don’t want to get rid of the curves. I just want to tone it up. My body is comfortable, and it’s not unhealthy, so I’m going to rock with it.”

On going to the gym: “I hate going to the gym and doing it the old-fashioned way. I hate anything that’s too straightforward, too routine, too familiar. I get bored really, really quickly.”

Credit: Annie Leibovitz for Vogue & Getty

Emma Watson In J. Mendel - 'Noah' Madrid Premiere

Emma Watson In J. Mendel – ‘Noah’ Madrid Premiere

In Shala Monroque's Closet - Jason Wu Ruffled Silk Gown

In Shala Monroque’s Closet – Jason Wu Ruffled Silk Gown

35 Responses to Rihanna For Vogue US April 2011

1. Vidhya March 16, 2011 at 12:11 #

the dress is beautiful.. but im tired of her aggressive image.. not all of us beat u up, u knw.. esp in the pic biting her lip.. oh god..

• LizLemooooon March 16, 2011 at 13:15 #

What complete and utter crap.
      What about other women who pose with that facial expression is it also because they’re aggressive or have survived domestic violence? I mean what are you actually saying?
      Do you have a problem with women being openly sexual and believe that they only do it because they are trying to make a statement and not just because it’s fun for them personally?
      Have you considered the fact that the photographer takes tonnes of pictures and they along with the magazine editor are the ones that decide on the final product?
      Unbelievable…

• Vidhya March 16, 2011 at 13:26 #

where did sexuality come in this discussion??? was that expression supposed to be openly sexy?? i did not get that..
        all i meant was, her pics r so cute , edgy and so full of life before the incident and now almost all the time, she tries to exude a tough girl image with her interviews and poses and her songs .. it may be natural.. but i merely said i was bored with it..

• LizLemooooon March 16, 2011 at 15:59 #

I don’t think that it’s true that Rihanna’s pics are still edgy after she was assaulted. During the time when she was promoting her Rated R album they certainly were but that’s hardly surprising since she’d been recently assaulted and was still dealing with it. However with this new album and her brighter hair and clothes and by her own admission she’s made a concentrated effort to be more playful and fun and not hold onto the past.
          I had a problem with you implying that her sexy poses or her attitude were all just a response to her being assaulted.
          If you actually cared to notice she’s always posed or performed in a sexy/edgy way (from her SOS video to Disturbia to Umbrella to now) so this is just how she is or likes to present herself.

• kin March 16, 2011 at 13:44 #

chill dude…everyone’s got the right to opinion just like you n anyone else

• LizLemooooon March 16, 2011 at 15:54 #

Uh I understand that so there was no need for your patronising comment. I took offence at the fact that the poster thinks that Rihanna was posing that way because she’d survived domestic abuse and not just because she wanted to.

• Dani March 16, 2011 at 23:10 #

There’s, like, one agro image. The beach ones are extremely playful and fun. I don’t understand your comment.

2. roxana March 16, 2011 at 12:12 #

beautiful pictures! gorgeus girl!

3. justme March 16, 2011 at 12:55 #

The pose on the cover is very awkward.
    She looks very pretty and her best with the short wig with the bangs.

• Linda March 16, 2011 at 14:01 #

My favourite is the short wig with bangs in the navy body suit too! She does rock short hair.

• Tania March 16, 2011 at 21:43 #

Mine too, she looks amazing in that picture!

4. robbie March 16, 2011 at 13:12 #

wow could she look anymore excited on the cover if she tried, she looks like something they just dug up out of the ground. no life, no excitement nothing but plain face.

• Ines March 16, 2011 at 13:32 #

wow. Seriously? This is Rihanna we are talking about not Stewart. Please look around at how many case of “dead” eyes we have..I don’t think Rihanna is one of them (at least not on this issue!)

• Nat39 March 16, 2011 at 18:58 #

Agree with Robbie – plain and lifeless, simple blank, she doesn’t bring anything into the photo. This and the awkward pose – a very disappointing cover , in my opinion.

• Tania March 16, 2011 at 21:45 #

I kind of see what your saying. What stands out to me with the cover picture is her vibrant red hair. it’s pops out at you not her!

• Nat39 March 16, 2011 at 22:09 #

Just looked at the cover pic again. Actually, it’s nice and pretty, very well done. I guess I’m just not impressed by Rihanna’s performance as a model, that’s what I find disappointing not the cover itself.

5. Manja March 16, 2011 at 13:12 #

i like it

6. Rebecca March 16, 2011 at 13:16 #

stunning–she is unlike anyone else

7. Ines March 16, 2011 at 13:22 #

What an UPGRADE from Stewart and Gaga. Rihanna definitely CAN model. I am in love with the swimsuit spread. The cover is quite the miss for me (she looks awkard and I feel even more awkward saying that about Rihanna) Yet I believe this is a facial expression I have rarely seen. I love how excited she was in the video and grateful (def get that scoring a Vogue US cover is a big deal!) As a black woman I must that I am very proud to see which black women grace the cover of Vogue. They were all relevant (Beyoncé, Rihanna, Hudson, Berry, Obama)

She looked gorgeous, confident, her interview is awesome. I am not a Rihanna fan but damn did she rock it!

8. ude March 16, 2011 at 13:36 #

love the cover and the rest of the spread, for once American Vogue have gone light on the use of photoshop (Anna I’m looking at you) which is great!

9. ahot March 16, 2011 at 13:47 #

@ Ines, so true. Vogue reminds me why i used to worschip them. EXCITING. So refreshing, i feel like it was Vogue France with Carine Roithfeld @ her best. lol

10. Amalia March 16, 2011 at 14:04 #

She looks fantastic, of course; except on the cover: there she looks like she’s bent over in pain.

11. mol March 16, 2011 at 14:27 #

I love the interview, she seems so refreshingly honest about being excited to be on a Vogue cover and on how she loved fashion from afar when she was growing up in Jamaica. You can see how she has so much energy and ability to enjoy the situations her career has put her into (like being photographed by Annie L.). Personally, I love the image of her in the Donna Karan navy bodysuit….

12. Jinni March 16, 2011 at 14:40 #

Wow! I love the cover, she looks hot!

13. maria March 16, 2011 at 15:16 #

great photoshoot, also very varied. With the romantic ones at the beach and the funkier one in the red and navy bathing suits.

14. Eloquence08 March 16, 2011 at 15:40 #

Everything about Rihanna is so contrived. She pushes this wild child image until it’s not convenient (check her everyday style vs. her first tv interview after the CB incident).. The styling in this shoot doesn’t look fresh or different. I’m surprised A. Wintour even went for this as the cover I guess Vogue has really caved to popular cover models vs. high fashion.

15. Ethne Blist March 16, 2011 at 16:27 #

Why is she on the cover? I personally don’t think she can sing, and I don’t think she is a good role model for girls because of how she presents herself- in terms of revealing clothing. But she is big in the fashion world because of her style (and 3 stylists) so she gets a cover. I love the cover picture though.

• Chaufforest March 17, 2011 at 08:10 #

Well duh its Vogue magazine not forbes or O magazine

16. samaira March 16, 2011 at 17:03 #

Oh my, I love the cover. How gorgeous does her hair look with that dress …. A BIG <3 to the photographer, the editors and Rihanna

17. marian March 16, 2011 at 17:04 #

this is the first time i’ve been inspired to buy a copy of vogue in a long time.

she looks amazing.

18. peter March 16, 2011 at 18:30 #

this editorial is beautiful but it could have been better!
    It’s very simple and the clothes are nothing extraordinary

19. Nat39 March 16, 2011 at 19:31 #

Overall not impressed. The poses are so forced, she seems to be pushing rather than naturally relaxing into a pose.

20. CreoleLady March 17, 2011 at 01:35 #

she’s a charmer in her interview. I think she’s from Barbados. Anyway, the lilt in her speaking voice added to her charm. I agree, FC, she’s having an Ariel moment and the awkwardness of the pose actually works for me, almost as if she’s just shed her mermaid’s tail for new (shapely) legs…

21. Allywan March 17, 2011 at 02:10 #

Love the cover. Everything else is meh. I’m getting a bit bored with her. She’s everywhere.

22. Alicat March 17, 2011 at 04:39 #

I think the Chanel gown looks fantastic on the cover shot – infinitely better than on the model. The modifications around the neckline really flatter her figure.

She looks really cute in the shot with short hair. Some of the other shots are a bit contrived.

Even though it’s a great cover, I do prefer the focus of Vogue covers to be fashion rather then “celebrities” – just a personal preference.