Fan Bing Bing and Gong Li Front Row @ Louis Vuitton Fall 2011

Fan Bing Bing and Gong Li were both front row at Louis Vuitton’s Fall 2011 presentation yesterday.

What makes me smile about this picture is that it used to be Gong Li who would wear the stand-out runway looks, now she’s gone demure so thank god for Fan Bing Bing.

Gong Li opted for a simple black suit with satin lapels and lacy top.

Fan Bing Bing looked outstanding getting into the full oriental spirit of the Louis Vuitton Spring 2011 collection.

The look was modified slightly to include a lace lining down the side split to protect her modesty.

Marcel waves, plum lips, long black tasseled earrings, a multi-coloured LV clutch and black Louis Vuitton pumps (which I’m not crazy about) completed her look.

I would be really interested to know what you think about Fan’s look.

Is she working this bold look (because let’s face it who else would dare to wear this) or do you think it’s too costumey?

Credit: Style.com & Getty

Alexa Chung Front Row @ Valentino Fall 2011

Alexa Chung Front Row @ Valentino Fall 2011

Mia Wasikowska In Elie Saab Couture - "Jane Eyre" New York Premiere

Mia Wasikowska In Elie Saab Couture – “Jane Eyre” New York Premiere

62 Responses to Fan Bing Bing and Gong Li Front Row @ Louis Vuitton Fall 2011

1. Danika March 10, 2011 at 18:40 #

Outstanding! I love this look! Not sure about the shoes, but everything else is pretty incredible!

2. Ethne Blist March 10, 2011 at 18:41 #

I like Fan’s look but I don’t like her shoes. Strappy nude heels that blend in (to keep focus on her dress) would be perfect. Gong’s look is so boring and meh. Gong Li is a Louis Vuitton Empress. I don’t know why she laid low.

• Fashion Critic March 10, 2011 at 18:42 #

I don’t get Gong Li’s low key approach either

• mika March 10, 2011 at 18:48 #

a new empress on the rise perhaps??

• Fashion Critic March 10, 2011 at 18:53 #

nice :)

• Pop March 10, 2011 at 20:11 #

Gong Li was still escorted by the CEO of LV. So no.

3. Lara March 10, 2011 at 18:47 #

I like Fan’s look except for that black lace… that lace should have been another colour… It doesn’t look costumey, but it does look a bit try hard (much as I love fan)… but I do love that she dared!

• Vivi March 10, 2011 at 19:19 #

I don’t like the black lace either

• Linda March 11, 2011 at 02:41 #

Yeah, my problem is the black lace and the shoes. Otherwise, a fun look.

4. Estranged March 10, 2011 at 18:47 #

A bit try-hard for me. Fan looks best in feminine and demure looks while here we have strong, almost gothic make-up, a bold dress and stand-out accessories. Too much for my liking.

5. mm March 10, 2011 at 18:53 #

I like it, i think the hairstyle should’ve been more modern, that is what makes it costumey to me. Would this dress stand out in asia? Fan had an outstanding range of looks during FW season.

6. Iris March 10, 2011 at 19:01 #

Fan’s dress is inspired by the traditional Chinese cheongsam, so I understand why she’s making a statement with it. On any one else (non-Oriental), it’d look costumey, or trying-too-hard, but Fang keeps the humour alive with the exaggerated dark lips and the hair. A big thumbs up.

• Nat39 March 10, 2011 at 20:17 #

Would be interesting to see this look (with some modifications) on Selena Gomez.

7. Alexandra March 10, 2011 at 19:07 #

makes me think of this time when Eva Green wore Dior Couture to the show… i obviously love it!

• Fashion Critic March 10, 2011 at 19:09 #

Oh yes…I miss those days

8. Amber March 10, 2011 at 19:18 #

With the hair and make-up it’s too costume-y. And I wish she would have worn the runway sandals with it. Those black pumps are an odd heavy choice.

9. Rachel March 10, 2011 at 19:20 #

I think that without the earrings and the model strappy sandals would’ve looked better.

10. Rebecca March 10, 2011 at 19:24 #

I still think Gong Li is one of the most beautiful women anywhere!

• Pucciforever March 10, 2011 at 20:15 #

I agree. Miles ahead of the plaster faced Bing Bing.
      She is so fake looking.

11. perfumeorpoison March 10, 2011 at 19:30 #

i’m not sold on this look. too costumey for my taste.

12. noo March 10, 2011 at 19:35 #

i love this look but i hate the earrings, i just hate them, they look like a weird extension of her hair !!!!!!!

• Leti March 11, 2011 at 03:35 #

Exactly, I think they make her look like she has a mullet!

13. Carolina March 10, 2011 at 19:37 #

Another NO for Fan.

14. Nat39 March 10, 2011 at 19:51 #

Costumey or not, it just doesn’t look good – the hairstyle is very unflattering for her face, the long tasseled earings are excessive (considering the details on the dress), the length of the dress combined with the ugly chunky shoes (for a woman of her height/figure) make her look like a little purple pony. If you go for a bold look, do it in a way that is flattering for your body/ face.

• Donna March 10, 2011 at 20:43 #

Purple Pony? lol. She’s a nice looking girl. But, she always wears to much makeup.

BTW Yves Carcelle was sitting on the other side of Gong Li. He always looks elegant.

15. Lila March 10, 2011 at 19:56 #

Utterly fabulous. She isn’t going to the office…so why not have fun with fashion?

16. Sara March 10, 2011 at 20:00 #

I think she works the heck out of that look. I love it! Well, except for the shoes…

17. Donna March 10, 2011 at 20:09 #

Are you kidding? Fan Bing BIng looks HORRIBLE!!
    That makeup is about 20 in to thick

Thank God for the class and beauty that is Gong Li

• Fashion Critic March 10, 2011 at 20:11 #

Am I kidding about what exactly?

• Donna March 10, 2011 at 20:17 #

“Fan Bing Bing looked outstanding “

• Fashion Critic March 10, 2011 at 20:23 #

Therefor in answer to your question, no, I’m not kidding

18. Cassa March 10, 2011 at 20:12 #

Fan is scary looking. What’s with all the makeup?

Gong Li looks way younger.

19. Nina March 10, 2011 at 20:19 #

I love it! Anything looks good on Fan Bing Bing.

20. Pradagirl March 10, 2011 at 20:33 #

fashion Critic, did the head of CEO escort Gong Li again. I would have swore I saw a pic of them arriving together at this show?
    Yeah, the basic black is to safe. But, she is a stunning woman.

21. Fanny March 10, 2011 at 20:34 #

I love that she’s going all-in. If someone else wore this dress and just added cute make-up, cute hairdo and a cute bag it would have been so boring to do that to the dress!

22. Can March 10, 2011 at 20:37 #

I prefer Gong Li’s look.

23. Naomi March 10, 2011 at 20:37 #

Love the drama. Great look.

24. Amy March 10, 2011 at 21:08 #

Gong Li is rather boring here I admit. Fan Bingbing…. I like the dress but hate that lace panel…. wish she’d modified it into a thigh split.
    Her make up did strike me as costumey and then realised it worked with the oriental theme.
    Those shoes are killing me.

25. chloe March 10, 2011 at 21:15 #

Beautiful look, speaking as a complete 1920-30’s nut it’s so refreshing to see someone inject some real character into a look instead of just a well-groomed person in a dress as is so often seen on the red carpet.

• KateS March 10, 2011 at 23:26 #

I agree – I love the flapper make-up, especially the cupid’s bow shape to the mouth.

26. June March 10, 2011 at 21:35 #

I prefer Fan Bingbing’s look.

27. serenissima March 10, 2011 at 22:41 #

i love it. i absolutely adore it. i love how bold fan is, and how she also poses for pictures like, ‘OF COURSE i have on a traditional kimono with a sexy black lace trim. what else would i wear?’ she is so rad! kudos to your site for introducing her to me, FC… i just featured her on my own blog lol

28. KateS March 10, 2011 at 23:23 #

I love Fan’s look – the flapper styling of the cheongsam-inspired dress references Kar Wai Wong’s beautiful films, and I think it’s fun and glamorous.
    Gong Li has obviously gone in a very different direction, but I think she looks very chic and classically elegant.

29. Azur March 11, 2011 at 05:23 #

She (Fan) tried too hard. Love Gong Li as always

30. Emi March 11, 2011 at 08:04 #

Gong Li looks great, she’s such a beautiful woman. I don’t like Fan Bing Bing here, too much make up, I don’t like those earrings with that dress. Less is more.

31. Rachel March 11, 2011 at 09:12 #

Gong Li always looks great. She is so beautiful.

32. S March 11, 2011 at 09:25 #

Love Fan Bing Bing! So glad she is representing us in Paris! (I’m from Hong Kong)

33. Steph March 11, 2011 at 09:37 #

I do love the fact that Fan is very daring. What I didn’t like was the earring and the shoes. other than that, I do love it. She’s so stunning, and I admire her edginess along with being daring.

34. Saara March 11, 2011 at 10:44 #

Frankly I don’t like any of it. The length of the dress, the shoes, too much make-up, the earrings (with this look)…

35. ayishaa March 11, 2011 at 13:23 #

Fan looks like a porcelain doll as usual. The makeup,the earrings, the shoes, the black lace are all wrong. There is too much going on with this look.

36. D March 11, 2011 at 13:52 #

even with the boring look gong li still outrates fan, fan is trying too hard :p really interesting dress thou….. hope someone else would pull it off better!

37. Victoria March 11, 2011 at 16:41 #

The way I see it, a dramatic dress deserves a dramatic look. Why go halfway when you can go all the way? :D

• Fashion Critic March 11, 2011 at 16:59 #

indeed

• Wendy March 12, 2011 at 07:58 #

Yeap!

38. Crystal March 12, 2011 at 02:52 #

am i the only one thought fanbingbing’s outfit looked like the outfit you put on a dead ppl before you bury them in old china? its horrible! ! her eye makeup is uneven!

39. pipsqueak March 12, 2011 at 15:08 #

I also think Li is way ahead of Bing Bing, though part of it comes from age and life experience. Li is almost 20 years older, I believe. I like Li’s low-key, menswear-inspired outfit a lot. She’s also a great actress. I don’t know about Bing Bing’s body of work. She looked cute here. Yes, a bit costumey, but she’s young and perhaps experimenting with fashion is her shtick, so be it.

40. iris March 13, 2011 at 13:46 #

I like fan and her look, but this look is a little bit costumey for me ( also her louk in CD show).

41. Sammil Lau June 3, 2011 at 18:25 #

it seems to be a “runway” look, n its quite difficult to carry, but on fan, i thnk she carry it well. its quite surprising me…

42. Jimmy June 4, 2011 at 06:50 #

Hello, It was said on a celebrity forum that Ms Fan Bingbing wasnt at the front row at this LV show. She simply bought the ticket to the backseat of the show and sat beside Ms. Gongli before the show started to snap a few photos for PR purposes. It was said in the same post that Peter Marino was the one seated beside Daisy instead of bingbing. Is it true? I couldnt find any frontrow picture to dispute it and was hoping you give me a few pointers. thanks,

• Fashion Critic June 4, 2011 at 07:23 #

You cant buy tickets to fashion shows.

I don’t understand why so many people make up ridiculous stories about Fan Bing Bing and what’s even more ridiculous is that people believe it.

Im starting to believe that people are just jealous ifvher success and beauty and have nothing going on with their lives so they make up stories.

Fan is often a guest if LV and she is ALWAYS front row.

• Jimmy June 5, 2011 at 01:43 #

Thank you! I was baffled by the rumor as well but had to hold my voice because I wasnt there at the show :(. Yes, Fan is a rapid-rising star in China and that definitely caught a few red eyes. would you mind if I reference your answer if the rumor ever surfaces again? thanks,