07.03.11 Advertising

First Look: Blake Lively For Chanel Mademoiselle

WWD has unveiled the first picture of Blake Lively’s ad campaign for Chanel Mademoiselle.

The ad campaign was shot by Karl Lagerfeld and will break in a range of weekly and monthly titles this week and next, and is slated to run through early June.

I can’t wait to see more from this campaign, but at this point I feel slightly disappointed.

I was hoping to be wowed, but this is Blake as we know Blake.

I was hoping for some kind of transformation but there is nothing new here.

Credit: Karl Lagerfeld for Chanel via WWD

Zoey Deutch In Christian Dior - 'Vampire Academy' Sydney Premiere

Zoey Deutch In Christian Dior – ‘Vampire Academy’ Sydney Premiere

Florence Welch In Chanel - Chanel Dinner Party

Florence Welch In Chanel – Chanel Dinner Party

31 Responses to First Look: Blake Lively For Chanel Mademoiselle

1. Stephanie March 7, 2011 at 10:50 #

WOW Blake looks absolutely stunning! A classy and elegant photo! I cannot wait to see more!

2. Kaz March 7, 2011 at 11:20 #

I agree FC… it’s a bit meh… I do love the profile though, looks a little gothic!

3. Roberta March 7, 2011 at 12:57 #

Well, she was picked because of her appeal to a younger demographic who relate to her just the way she is (or wished they did!). Altering her image would defy the purpose of hiring her in order to sell bags to young and loaded teens (or make young and middle class teens really, really want one of these Mademoiselle bags).

• Fashion Critic March 7, 2011 at 14:12 #

You are so right, but it would have been refreshing to see another side of Blake

4. Pan March 7, 2011 at 13:01 #

What a waste

5. luiza March 7, 2011 at 13:20 #

i think she looks stunning here. but i really don’t like this new bags. it seems like they are trying to do something similar to the 2.55 classic flap, but NO, it’s not working (to me). the handles are to short for sutch a small bag

6. Jessica March 7, 2011 at 13:48 #

Lively looks stunningly beautiful ,I do think she is perfect for chanel

7. Emma March 7, 2011 at 14:42 #

Blake being Blake I didn’t expect much. And her being Blake will sell bags. But Lagerfeld could have done something more exciting.

Am I alone in not liking the bag?

• justme March 7, 2011 at 15:10 #

I agree with everything you said.
      Blake never impresses me so I wasn’t expecting anything more than a basic ad. But it doesn’t mean her run for Chanel won’t be a success.
      And yup, the bag is kinda tacky.

• bb March 7, 2011 at 16:10 #

No you’re not. I hate it. One of the worst along with Lily’s one.

I also think it’s too small for a girl in Blake’s size. It looks disproportioned on her.

8. JJovana3 March 7, 2011 at 15:03 #

To be perfectly honest, nothing about Blake Lively says “Chanel Woman”. I mean, dont get me wrong, she’s gorgeous, but just not Chanel type. Photo is very unspectacular as well. Karl should stick to his day job.

9. Anissa March 7, 2011 at 15:14 #

It’s pretty but it makes me think “oh Serena Van der Woodsen got a Chanel campaign?”

• Fashion Critic March 7, 2011 at 16:10 #

I have the same feeling

10. Lee Ann March 7, 2011 at 15:16 #

Have you seen the bag? I was in the Rue Cambon on Saturday and they are all over the store. So if you are still in Paris take a look. I am not a fan.

• Fashion Critic March 7, 2011 at 16:10 #

Will do… How was Dior for you?

• Lee Ann March 7, 2011 at 17:00 #

Extremely poignant and very sad. I thought the collection was lovely but a bit samey – I mean how many pirates,dandies,and highwaymen can you do? I did prefer his own collection I thought that was beautiful

11. lea March 7, 2011 at 15:16 #

It looks really nice. But my favorite chanel model still is Vanessa Paradis!

12. Ann March 7, 2011 at 15:50 #

I doubt she had any say about the campaign concept, so she’s done what was asked of her. Anyway, she looks gorgeous.

FC, what about Keira Knightley Coco Mademoiselle campaign? What do you think?

• Fashion Critic March 7, 2011 at 16:08 #

Stunning as always

13. Laura March 7, 2011 at 16:02 #

I stand by my statement. Blake just doesn’t fit the “Chanel girl” bill for me. I understand wanting to change your image, but some brand identity has got to stay intact. And I think Blake is too big of a departure to really work. Someone like Diane Kruger or Keira Knightley would be far better in my humble opinion.

• E March 8, 2011 at 02:38 #

OMG Diane Kruger… She would make such a better Chanel girl than Blake.

14. bb March 7, 2011 at 16:07 #

This first ad looks too blah for me. And I usually like Karl photography skills. Hope the next one is better.

Nonetheless, I think Chanel made the right choice marketing wise. I mean, this campaign wouldn’t get this much hype if they chose some typical standard skinny classy ladylike Chanel girl.

They’re making huge buzz from her for this campaign, regardless of it being positive or negative. If they chose someone the public easily deem ‘deserving’, I think it will just disappear into the clouds.

Chanel is getting a bit too snoozefest to me lately so this controversy is the best for the house.

• mol March 7, 2011 at 19:11 #

Yes, I suppose going against ‘type’ is guaranteed to bring some controversy (ie: excitment) to what appears to be a totally banal product. BL is merely a smoke screen for poor design….

• KateS March 7, 2011 at 23:24 #

I figured they were trying the same thing when they chose Lily Allen. In both cases, I thought the bags they were hawking were not very attractive – perhaps they veer off-type with their models when the products themselves fall outside the ‘best of Chanel’ mode?

15. Nat39 March 7, 2011 at 16:58 #

Very disappointing! She doesn’t bring anything to the photo (any sort of vibe/feeling) NOTHING! Her facial expression projects nothing, BLANK!

16. Anita March 7, 2011 at 18:21 #

I think the ad looks great, can’t wait to see the rest. Although I am a bit disappointed that the tone of the ad doesn’t fit with her lively personality. But she did a great job.

17. summer March 7, 2011 at 18:27 #

characterless,average,disappointing
    she is a influential person

18. Hannah March 7, 2011 at 19:10 #

I agree. I was hoping her to transform into a super chic super sleek chanel girl. I feel chanel is becoming a bit too commericial in it’s celebrity endorsments, this looks like an easier, if you will, version of Keira knightle’y ad campaigns for the brand. Besides that I do nto find this flattering to her at all. I think her skin looks grey, which it isn’t, no one’s skin is grey. I think she looks old, again she doesn’t, her nose looks big, which thanks to a surgeon, probably, it also isn’t. I also ahve to say my first reaction is hatred towards the eyebrow. Could they not ahve sorted it out?
    Ono a little side note, I am not a fan of these bags. They seems like they could so easily turn into the new chav bags of 2000-2004-ish, a fat which LV unfortunately suffered during that bleak time period.
    MY fingers are crosse, Karl is a good photographer, Chanel has money to spend, reputation to uphold and chic to spare, Blake is gorgeous and has such aclear image that they coudl so easily get away from in a refreshing break. I expected mroe.

19. SarahV March 7, 2011 at 20:41 #

Such a bland ad, and I don’t like the bag either (looks a little, dare I say, cheap?). Disappointing…

20. Corbin March 8, 2011 at 01:19 #

Was never a big Blake fan. But all this hate towards her is making me like her a little. I just feel bad that people are just bashing her left and right….But I guess it’s part of being a celebrity.

21. Verity March 8, 2011 at 15:04 #

I think this campaign is futureistic and a breath of fresh air from the typical chanel ad campaigns.